Snowytoshi

Censorship

What about one encouraging children to DRAW:

Draw me a star

Words fail me.

Oh wait. That penguin one has two BOY penguins trying to hatch a stone.

OMG how tooo TOOOOOO shocking xd.png

Why was that banned?

One big popular animated show that comes to mind with this is Sailor Moon. In one of the early arcs two male villains were implied to be romantically involved, yet the USA dub made one of them female just to make the couple straight. Also, two of the Sailors were made cousins just to hide the fact that they were together.

Something similar happened with the anime Cardcaptor Sakura--the Japanese version had an implied romantic relationship between two adult male characters, and another (much more subtly) implied relationship between two of the female characters. The one between the females could easily be interpreted as a very strong friendship, but all the scenes that referenced either relationship were removed from the American dub. Along with a lot of other important plot pieces, making the show nonsensical in several places.

It was my favorite show as a kid, and I didn't find out all this until maybe a year ago.

Something similar happened with the anime Cardcaptor Sakura--the Japanese version had an implied romantic relationship between two adult male characters, and another (much more subtly) implied relationship between two of the female characters. The one between the females could easily be interpreted as a very strong friendship, but all the scenes that referenced either relationship were removed from the American dub. Along with a lot of other important plot pieces, making the show nonsensical in several places.

It was my favorite show as a kid, and I didn't find out all this until maybe a year ago.

Oh gosh yes, plus they removed the part where a student(age 10) and her teacher were romantically involved, another lesbian cousin relationship, etc. Cardcaptors made no sense with all the dubbing they did. And it didn't help that they made all of the characters huge brats as well, which was just unnecessary.

What annoys me is when characters cuss in movies/TV shows, and they dub over the line so the character's lips don't match up with what's being heard. It looks like bad lip-synching, and just looks messy.

@Point of Origin- His Dark Materials is on the banned list? WTH? I am not religious whatsoever and thoroughly enjoyed that series. Blood and Chocolate and Harry Potter's being on the list surprised me as well. They've gone too far. Not that I see anything wrong with religion, I just think it has its place and that place is not in banning literature that they find offensive. Seriously, there are free fanfics that are worse than the books on the list.

@Point of Origin- His Dark Materials is on the banned list? WTH? I am not religious whatsoever and thoroughly enjoyed that series. Blood and Chocolate and Harry Potter's being on the list surprised me as well. They've gone too far. Not that I see anything wrong with religion, I just think it has its place and that place is not in banning literature that they find offensive. Seriously, there are free fanfics that are worse than the books on the list.

HP is first on the list Snowytoshi posted here and His Dark Materials is eight. It doesn't surprise me at all. HP has GASP witches and wizards and we can't have that. It could effect their kids in a bad way, all those fantasy creatures. / sarcasm mode over.

Seeing as His Dark Materials is criticism of Christianity it's probably the first book they would ban.

Why was that banned?

What - the penguins ?

Two MALES trying to "raise" even so much as a stone ?? GAY stuff, snowy, GAY stuff... mad.gif

The star one - I cannot IMAGINE, unless it suggested to some warped mind that god did not create everything (things come to life as they are drawn...)

What - the penguins ?

Two MALES trying to "raise" even so much as a stone ?? GAY stuff, snowy, GAY stuff... mad.gif

The star one - I cannot IMAGINE, unless it suggested to some warped mind that god did not create everything (things come to life as they are drawn...)

Yeah I meant the star one tongue.gif Pretty much if there's anything that can be interperated as objectionable it's banned.

And when I told my mom (pro-gay rights) about the penguins her reaction was,"Ahh! Gay penguins! BURN THE BOOK! It might influence our children!" /sarcasm off

Did the stars talk? Anything with talking animals is bannable because *gasp* magic.

Yeah I meant the star one tongue.gif Pretty much if there's anything that can be interperated as objectionable it's banned.

And when I told my mom (pro-gay rights) about the penguins her reaction was,"Ahh! Gay penguins! BURN THE BOOK! It might influence our children!" /sarcasm off

Did the stars talk? Anything with talking animals is bannable because *gasp* magic.

The star was drawn and then asked for something else to be drawn and then the next thing was drawn and it asked for something else, and so on...

Anti-creationism, I guess sad.gif

Censorship doesn't make sense to me.

On example from my country (Germany). If in a book for adults (it says "Not under 18" in big letters on the cover) a man from a gay relationship says: The sex hurt but he still enjoyed it, it gets censored. Because youngsters might read it. But if you watch a movie on the TV and people are ripped to pieces and blood is everywhere no-one cares if a youngster might watch that.

Edited by Lilithiana

Lol at Waldo being banned. Because when kids are so desperately trying to find that striped, turtle-neck wearing deviant among a throng of convenient distractions, a centimeter sized drawing of a sun-bathing woman's sideboob is totally gonna be the focus.