AngelicDemise

Thor

Actuall, he wasn't, Liam Hemsworth (Gale) is Chris Hemsworth's (Thor) younger brother wink.gif

Both of which ended up auditioning for the role of Thor, funnily enough.

I think you'll find the "No, Loki," is not disapproval of Loki's actions, but imploring Loki not to let go. Odin could see that Loki was considering letting go and Odin was practically begging him not to. As for pitting the pair against each other - what else was he to do? Only one of them can be king, and that much is clear their entire lives - there is *no other choice.* Chances are he was hoping that their competition would remain friendly, but with Thor's overpowering ego and Loki's devious, power-hungry manner it would never remain friendly - there was nothing else Odin could do. Hence why when he saw just where it had gotten to he stripped Thor of his title and inheritance, and would not allow Loki to ascend into Thor's place.

And Loki was not to have found out about his heritage - only through their stupid assault on Jogundheim did Loki find out. If Odin was to ever tell Loki it would have most likely have been on his own terms at a more stable time, where they could talk it out a bit more sensibly. After all, it's made very clear that Thor loves his brother dearly and that Odin sees them as equal sons. And notice that when Odin collapses Loki is visibly shocked and upset, even despite the bombshell that had just been dropped. Yes, he then made a grab for power to become king, but he seems rather upset by Odin's collapse. Now, given he's all alone with Odin there was no need for him to ever act upset over the collapse, but the moment Odin seems to falter Loki drops his anger and is at his father's side in an instant, all concern. So there is love there despite everyone's flaws.

Frankly, I can't see why Odin is such a 'bad father.'

I'd have to disagree. Even if Odin DID mean it that way, it was still a poor choice of words. It was clear from Loki's expression he was looking for some type of encouragement or approval or SOMETHING from his father. But, Odin just said "No, Loki", which to me, was the opposite of what Loki was looking for. It was only AFTER Odin had said that line to Loki that he gave that blank expression. To me, it was like Odin smacking Loki in the face. It was the complete opposite of what he was hoping to hear. Loki wasn't dangling there, looking to commit suicide. He was honestly hoping his father would show him some type of approval. After all, in Loki's head, he did all this to defeat the Frost Giants who were threatening Odin. He killed his biological father in order to save his Adopted Father. He planned this whole thing to show his father that he could be more then "Another Stolen Relic". To be more then Thor's shadow. And, he succeeded. However, his father didn't acknowledge that. He didn't approve of that. Even if Odin thought what Loki did was wrong, he should have at least understood why his son was doing what he was doing. But, instead, he just said "No, Loki" in disapproval. And that's when Loki decided to let go.

And as for pitting the two against each other- he didn't do that by making Thor, king. Loki didn't want the thrown, as he stated. He just wanted to be Thor's equal. He just wanted his father to be proud of him and acknowledge that he was just as important of a son as Thor is.

Loki, to me, never came off as a power-hungry devious person. He came off as someone with extremely low self esteem who constantly was looking for approval and never received it. And, he became bitter at the person who DID receive it; Thor. Again, he didn't want to be king, but when he became it anyway, he used that power to lash out against everyone. Thor was already gone. And if he stayed gone, Loki would get all the praise. He never was devious against his mother (what little screen time she got) and was clearly distraught when his father collapsed. And, he didn't make a grab for power after that. He was clearly distraught over being handed Odin's staff and hesitated to take it, even looking back at his mother as if he didn't know what to do. These are not the emotions of someone who just wanted power.

Now, in The Avengers, that's a different story. After falling at the end of Thor, Loki clearly snapped. Although there's still a little bit of him left (that short part on the building with Thor specifically shows this), it's mostly been broken. He IS the devious, power-hungry person you described in that movie.

I don't think Odin said 'No Loki' in disapproval. It was more of a 'No Loki, you didn't do this for us, but for yourself' kinda thing.

The problem with that line is that it can be interpreted in so many different ways. Who is to say how Loki took it? Given that he instantly tried to commit suicide, it wasn't a good way.

The problem with that line is that it can be interpreted in so many different ways. Who is to say how Loki took it? Given that he instantly tried to commit suicide, it wasn't a good way.

This.

I agree. It seems like it depends on your perspective on the movie how you hear it. I hear it very negatively, but others hear it different. Funny how a small line like that is such a big thing.

Either way, I still feel very sorry for Loki in that movie. Like Thor his entire world changed overnight, but unlike Thor he didn't have anyone to help him through it.

One thing that slightly confuses me. Loki has hair. From what I remember of the Frost Giants in the movie they were all bald. When he touches the magic winterbox thingy he returns to his natural blue colour, but keeps the hair.

Is his hair part of the charm Odin put on him to make him appear Asgardian (which raises the question why didn't he make him blonde to fit in with the family better?) and simply wasn't affected when Loki touched the winterbox, or is it natural?

If it is natural, then why is Loki the only Frost Giant with hair? It was also mentioned that he was small for a Frost Giant, which is obvious when you watch him stand alongside them. Could his smaller size and hair be an indication that while Loki's birth father was a Frost Giant, his birth mother wasn't? I don't recall her being mentioned at any point.

I may simply be reading too much into things here, but I think it's an interesting point. If I'm right the world shattering revelations may not be over yet for poor Loki.

Edit: I watched Thor again last night and paid close attention to the scene where Loki takes hold of the Winter Casket. As well as turning blue, his eyes go red and he gets the markings back on his forhead. He regains his true form. The hair still remains, so I believe that it is natural.

Edited by Fortune86