AngelicDemise

Thor

I guess I just didn't receive the impact it should have. I know the filmakers did not want to have too many scenes of their character moping around, but the conclusion you came to didn't even register to me because it wasn't the main focus. Maybe that could have been changed by having his exile be the main focus of the movie since it is about him changing and learning to be a leader when his people needed it. But like you said he didn't know he was going back so he just decided to adapt quickly in his new home. I kinda see that as giving up though. Maybe that's why I was disappointed. A character who seems very stubborn and set in his way just gave up easily. Yes the hammer didn't work for him but maybe it could have been something he worked toward.

I think why he gave up so easy is because he figured there was no way back. Heimdall wouldn't open the Bifrost and Loki wouldn't undo Thors banishment. All Thor knew was he wasn't worthy of Mjolnir, Odin was dead, and Frigga didn't want him to come back. It'd be reason enough for him to give up since he knew at that time there wasn't a way back.

There were deleted scenes that lengthened the movie quite a bit, but, if I remember correctly, they were mostly about Loki, not Thor.

There were deleted scenes that lengthened the movie quite a bit, but, if I remember correctly, they were mostly about Loki, not Thor.

Wish they put those on for the deleted scenes. I felt sorry for Loki but it would have been nice to see what else he did. I don't get why Odin told him so late that he was a frost giant. He should have told him earlier in life. May have helped him out more in the long run.

I feel the movie was handled awkwardly, the exile should have been longer, the love interest was just slapped on, and Thor's character development just randomly happened in the movie all in one go. He kept none of his original character and became a serious no nonsense person. I don't understand why the character had a 180 in personality change halfway through the movie. I don't know much about the comic books but I was seriously disappointed by the movie.

Agree. This movie had so much potential, and it came so short. The love interest/relationships with the humans (mortals? Earth-people?) felt really awkward and too predictable. There was barely any development, only the cliched "superhero helps Earthlings and falls in love with attractive female protagonist" thing. I actually liked Loki, though. Not surprising, as I rarely like the heroes more than the villains (you know a movie is well made if I actually like the good guys). He was played well, and the whole sulky thing came off nicely. I just wish they showed him as less of a "weak, misunderstood villain".

Oh god. I thread about something I've obsessed over for the past month or two...eek! "Thor" as a movie should've been a bit more detailed in terms of content. I felt bad for Loki, and actually like him a lot more than Thor himself. If I recall, there is a deleted scene that was supposed to be put right before Thor is crowned king. It involves Loki telling Thor that he is very proud of him and things like that. The movie itself bored me, the romantic aspect was cliche to me.

In short, I wanted more Hiddleston. xd.png

That's actually in the deleted scenes. I seen that myself. They should have put that in there.

Chris Hemsworth. <333 I think I was biased and liked it before I even saw it because I was like "SUPPORT HOME TALENT" laugh.gif Him and Liam, dayum. They're everywhere now. :B (don't get me started on their eldest brother though... >>)

ANYWAY. I thought it was pretty good though not the best movie ever. I swear I say that for every movie though. I actually have no sense of judgment when it comes to what constitutes "the best movie ever". :l

My favourite character was Loki though. He seems to be the popular choice when you look at sites like dART. People are always making art of Loki. tongue.gif

I saw a deleted scene where Loki and Thor are talking with each other prior to going to the ceremony(?). Would've been nice to see that scene in the movie to establish their relationship because Loki's actions in the earlier part of the movie seem a little mean spirited and not as much out of brotherly love, imo.

Loki <3

Jane was lame and did not need to exist. I preferred the cartoon version of her, a kickass paramedic. Not some weepy, clingy astrophysicist. Guuuh woman, falling for a guy you've known for all of two days.

Wish they put those on for the deleted scenes. I felt sorry for Loki but it would have been nice to see what else he did. I don't get why Odin told him so late that he was a frost giant. He should have told him earlier in life. May have helped him out more in the long run.

I still hold to the fact that Odin should win the "Worst Father Ever" Award. I mean, he's supposed to be the allfather. The one that knows everything. Yet, he didn't know that pitting his two sons against each other would be bad? He didn't know that NOT informing Loki of his heritage earlier on would be a bad thing? And, the ending where all Loki was looking for was some type of approval and Odin's all like "No, Loki.". If he had just said something like "It's OK, Loki", "I Understand, Loki" or "I know, Loki", MAYBE LOKI WOULDN'T HAVE TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE! I wanted to smack Odin. He was just such a bad father throughout the whole movie. :|

Maybe they'll expand on it in Thor 2, but until then, I still say he's a bad father.

Edited by MysticTiger

I thought Odin did it all to teach Thor a lesson, to teach him not to be a selfish littler jerk?

At the expense of his other son?

I'm not going to say Odin was a good father, he was far from it, but I think I can understand his problem. With Thor he wasn't just raising a son, but training an heir. Thor was going to take the Throne of Asgard one day. There were certain lessons he had to get through his thick skull before he could do the job he was destined to do. That probably meant that he had to focus more on Thor than Loki, for the good of his people.

Odin's teaching methods leave a lot to be desired though.

I still hold to the fact that Odin should win the "Worst Father Ever" Award. I mean, he's supposed to be the allfather. The one that knows everything. Yet, he didn't know that pitting his two sons against each other would be bad? He didn't know that NOT informing Loki of his heritage earlier on would be a bad thing? And, the ending where all Loki was looking for was some type of approval and Odin's all like "No, Loki.". If he had just said something like "It's OK, Loki", "I Understand, Loki" or "I know, Loki", MAYBE LOKI WOULDN'T HAVE TRIED TO COMMIT SUICIDE! I wanted to smack Odin. He was just such a bad father throughout the whole movie. :|

Maybe they'll expand on it in Thor 2, but until then, I still say he's a bad father.

I think I was like D8<! by the end where he's holding onto Thor and Loki over the edge of the bridge. Or, at least, he could've waited till he hoisted them both up to express his disapproval. >>

Edited by Varekis

That probably meant that he had to focus more on Thor than Loki, for the good of his people.

Odin's teaching methods leave a lot to be desired though.

But, in the end, he ended up doing even worse by his people by making Loki an enemy. So, basically he didn't do anything right. I agree that Thor needed to be punished, but... Loki is the one that suffered. I mean, Thor went down there and had a great time. If it wasn't for Loki, he would have still been down there and would have been fine.

Or, at least, he could've waited till he hoisted them both up to express his disapproval. >>

YES. This exactly.

Edited by MysticTiger

I think you'll find the "No, Loki," is not disapproval of Loki's actions, but imploring Loki not to let go. Odin could see that Loki was considering letting go and Odin was practically begging him not to. As for pitting the pair against each other - what else was he to do? Only one of them can be king, and that much is clear their entire lives - there is *no other choice.* Chances are he was hoping that their competition would remain friendly, but with Thor's overpowering ego and Loki's devious, power-hungry manner it would never remain friendly - there was nothing else Odin could do. Hence why when he saw just where it had gotten to he stripped Thor of his title and inheritance, and would not allow Loki to ascend into Thor's place.

And Loki was not to have found out about his heritage - only through their stupid assault on Jogundheim did Loki find out. If Odin was to ever tell Loki it would have most likely have been on his own terms at a more stable time, where they could talk it out a bit more sensibly. After all, it's made very clear that Thor loves his brother dearly and that Odin sees them as equal sons. And notice that when Odin collapses Loki is visibly shocked and upset, even despite the bombshell that had just been dropped. Yes, he then made a grab for power to become king, but he seems rather upset by Odin's collapse. Now, given he's all alone with Odin there was no need for him to ever act upset over the collapse, but the moment Odin seems to falter Loki drops his anger and is at his father's side in an instant, all concern. So there is love there despite everyone's flaws.

Frankly, I can't see why Odin is such a 'bad father.'

Edited by Kestra15

When it gets to the point where you have to kick your son out of the Kingdom to teach him a lesson, you know something went wrong in his upbringing somewhere. Thor probably could have done with a few lessons in humility before then.

Loki could also have done with a little more love. Sure, Thor is heir to the Kingdom, but Loki didn't care about being King. He just wanted his father's approval.

When it gets to the point where you have to kick your son out of the Kingdom to teach him a lesson, you know something went wrong in his upbringing somewhere. Thor probably could have done with a few lessons in humility before then.

Loki could also have done with a little more love. Sure, Thor is heir to the Kingdom, but Loki didn't care about being King. He just wanted his father's approval.

Every upbringing has faults - I don't think anyone can ever claimed they learned everything in childhood. So Thor needed to be bought down a few pegs; that happens in adulthood to all of us who have something of an ego. As for Loki? He had approval all along. He just couldn't see it.

That's completely true, I'm just saying Odin should have done something about Thor's ego before it nearly started a war. Judging by Thor's character, that probably wasn't the first time he let it get the better of him.

That said, maybe Odin did try but it didn't work/we never got to see. In that case Thor's overnight change of heart does seems a little jarring.

As for Loki, he's not as smart as he thinks he is and I'm pretty sure he can't read minds. Did Odin ever tell him he was proud of him? Some people need to be told things before they can start to believe it.

I did think it was far too quick in time-scale for Thor to change his heart - but I was willing to suspend my belief in order to enjoy the film fully :~P

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sif the love interest in the comics (never read them). Where did Jane come from?

I saw the Avengers and that was good! I realised Thor was Gale in Hunger Games after the movie xd.png

I saw the Avengers and that was good! I realised Thor was Gale in Hunger Games after the movie xd.png

Actuall, he wasn't, Liam Hemsworth (Gale) is Chris Hemsworth's (Thor) younger brother wink.gif