TheZooTycooner14

TheZooTycooner14's Artwork

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to this forum so none of you will know me, but i'm considering taking up spriting for DC. I thought a good way to introduce myself would be by starting an art topic so you can all see some of my artwork, and this way you'll know that i'm not a total newbie to drawing dragons if I do indeed start spriting.

Anyhow, i'd love to get some feedback, comments, critiques etc. on my artwork and don't be afraid to voice your honest opinions, because I don't want to hear anything else tongue.gif

Just a little about me before we get to the pictures - i'm a girl and i'm 17 (turning 18 on June 27) and i've just completed highschool smile.gif This way you can get a better idea of what artistic skills i've gained VS my age.

Anyhow, without further ado, here are some of my drawings smile.gif Hope you all like them.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Wow -- Very nice! smile.gif Best of luck to you on here! People will probably ask you for requests, so you may wanna state in the OP whether or not you will take them. x3

What in the world is that last sketch? Is it a... Chagon? Chicken-Dragon? tongue.gif

Wow -- Very nice! smile.gif Best of luck to you on here! People will probably ask you for requests, so you may wanna state in the OP whether or not you will take them. x3

What in the world is that last sketch? Is it a... Chagon? Chicken-Dragon? tongue.gif

Thank you! smile.gif

Hmm, good idea. I'll have to say that I won't take requests because presently I have ZERO experience spriting, so i'll have to get the hang of it before taking on requests. Thanks for alerting me about this smile.gif

For that last dragon I wanted to create a specie that's evolved more for running than for flying, so that's why there's so much detail on his legs and less for the rest of his body. It can fly, but the idea was that it's evolutionary path was making it more earth-bound smile.gif

Edit: Oh! You probably meant that people will request regular drawings from me tongue.gif Hmm, I suppose i'm open to requests smile.gif

Edited by TheZooTycooner14

Excellent drawings. I love your creative critter designs and attention to detail.

There are a few things you can work on (we all have them, after all.) On the critters with their heads in profile and their mouths open, the lower jaw looks a bit snapped. This is most noticeable on your snake dragon head and stippled European dragon. It might help to do a few skull studies of various critters.

Perspective (which I also hate trying to get right) is also a bit odd on your flying demon. His bottom half doesn't quite seem to line up with his top half - tracing his spine seems to make it look disconnected between his upper and lower body, or at least uncomfortably twisted. I also feel that you should be able to see some of his lower legs.

A note to keep in mind if you plan to sprite - less is more when it comes to very fine details. Most of them are going to get lost in your sprite, especially spriting at DC's size (most sprites are under 100x100 pixels.) You might notice that very few DC dragons with open mouths have visible teeth! It is best to keep your initial sketches rather simple and add details later.

As do I biggrin.gif

Do you do any Terran animals? If you do, may I request one if you accept requests?

My request is a giant anteater with a child on her back, face-to-face with a tamandua.

Wow, I went to bed and then I come back to a ton of comments and two requests! Thank you everyone smile.gif

@Ladylyzar: Thank you for the helpful critique! About the snapped jaws - you're right, now that I go back and look, they do look a bit snapped. I've never looked at skeletons/anatomy before to help me make my drawings accurate, so I should definately start doing that to improve. As far as the flying 'demon' as you called him, I agree that more of the hind legs should be visible, but the twisted look was actually done on purpose. He's supposed to be making a sharp turn mid-air so from the front his body looks like it's at an odd angle because he's twisted his front half to face the direction he wants to go, and his back half hasn't quite caught up yet tongue.gif Also, i'll definately keep that tip in mind when I start spriting! Great advice, thank you very much smile.gif

@FlowerOwl: I've actually already drawn a barn owl that I was planning on posting soon, although I drew it a while ago and I could probably do much better now. Actually, why not? I'll post it now happy.gif

user posted image

Yeah...like I said, I could do a lot better now tongue.gif I imagine the anatomy is all wrong on this owl, but I still like this drawing anyways happy.gif

Anyhow, i'm not entirely sure how requests work - when someone makes a request, do they plan on doing something with the finished work? Like, use it for spriting or something? Or do they just want to make a request so they can enjoy seeing what the person creates for them? I'd like to know how my drawings will be used before I start taking requests, so if someone would like to explain that'd be great smile.gif

@vamprah9588: Sorry, but what's 'Terran' and 'tamandua'? tongue.gif *feels out of the loop*

Terran animal- Earth animals. ((Terra Firma means Earth, terran is just a shortening))

Tamandua- This.

Edited by vamprah9588

Wow, you are REALLY awesome! You should draw some things for dragon requests--your drawings are AWESOME. When you use feathered wings, make sure to use this tutorial. It helps a LOT, and is very detailed.

I'd like to make a request for a new OC--you'll be making her first drawing ^^ She's a a wyvern with a very humanoid build. Her face looks nearly human, but she has four fins that come from the sides of her head. the top two are bigger, and curve downward, and the bottom two are smaller and curve upward. Her stature is sort-of like your first sketch (scrap all the details tongue.gif), except for her wings instead of arms. Make sure she has five wing fingers, including a thumb. Her tail ends in a ball of spikes, much like a mace. Feel free to add in any other details smile.gif I might use her in my sig, or just because I'd like to see her drawn out if I can't cram her in there.

Edited by PieMaster

Oh my freaking WOW! O____O You are amazing. *bows down before your artistic might* I was just about to get back into dragon art, too, but it'll be a looooong time before I'm that good. Best of luck in your ambition to become a spriter!

Nice artwork you have there. I'm especially loving that barn owl. <points at username>

I was wondering if you did anthro animals? Or really anything humanoid? I'd love to request art from you. You're very talented. :3

Edited by tyto_alba

Hmm...I like the owl. I wonder...if you have seen Legend of the Guardians, I'd make a request. But first I need to know if you have seen the movie....:3

Thanks for the wonderful comments everyone smile.gif

For the time being I don't think i'm going to take any requests, but if I change my mind then i'll be sure to get back to those who've requested drawings smile.gif Feel free to keep requesting drawings, just don't expect me to do them unless I change my mind in the future.

@Rampaging Wyvern: Yes, i've seen the movie, and I honestly can't stand it. I've read the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books at least (no joke) ten times over (those are the books Legend of the Guardians is based on if you didn't know), and literally everything was changed in the movie. They ruined a really intense, beautiful, intricate and very serious story, so yeah, I hate the movie tongue.gif I've watched it over and over again hoping in vain that i'd like it better the next time around, but to no avail.

@Tyto Alba: I can't draw anything humanoid, sorry tongue.gif I've had literally almost no practice drawing humans at all. I only ever draw dragons/animals/mythical creatures and the like.

Anyhow, here's a few more drawings of mine smile.gif Hope you all like them.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by TheZooTycooner14

Holy.... wow that is amazing. I absolutely love the pencil shading. I did a barn owl too but yours makes mine look like a five year old did it. Keep doing whatever you're doing, 'cause it is awesome!

Ah. No humanoids. Would you be willing to take requests for animal/creature drawings, then? :3

(That mountain lion(?) is staring into my soul.)

Editing to say that I'd pay you with bred eggs, too, if you ever took up requests. (But I'll let you know that my dragons have been stubborn lately when it comes to breeding.)

Edited by tyto_alba

I saw that cat (puma?) and I wonder what you would do with this:

A white tiger and wolf. Both of them playing together, or just relaxing

Reference: Wolf has these markings: http://i49.tinypic.com/2yjykja.png

White tiger is simply one of the rare white tigers

If you prefer not to color, then maybe you could make line art that I can print and color later?

If you can do this I will gladly pay eggs and hatchlings, I will breed from personal lineages and my rares. If you want any of these for this request, then please PM me. And click on my KrystalFizz Lineage banner to go to my scroll and look around.

Edited by KrystalSharz

Oh, okay. I personally loved that movie, although I haven't read the books. I was hoping for something related to the movie. :3