Walker

Die Anew

((Actually, the funny thing about the Underworld is that MORE things attack during the day, which is why the Guardians are needed there during that time. So... dawn doesn't really bring any relief. It brings extra reinforcements.))

Lifaen's eye slid open, and she found herself in a familiar place, along the wall of the city of Lyambo, her place to guard. She stretched her wings and roared, shaking off the transition from the Waking World to the Underworld. It didn't take long, seeing as she was built to do just that. Once she was feeling completely herself again, after a minute or so, she began to scan the surroundings for danger, going right into work mode. She wasn't scared that the elders would bother her while she was at guard; no matter what happened in the Waking World, every nocturne knew their duty in the Underworld, and while you were on alert was not the time to distract with scoldings.

It didn't take more than a few minutes before she heard a flurry of activity not far away. Without stopping to think, Lifaen turned towards the sound and started to gallop in that direction to investigate. When she turned the corner, she came across a mad scene, guards attacking an Underworld creature that looked similar to the dogs in the Waking World. Instincts taking over, Lifaen flared her wings and reared up on her hind legs and roared. It caused a stab of pain to arc through her body because of her wounds from her earlier tussle with the elders, but she'd be damned if she would let that stop her.

She gave a mighty snarl that caused the guards to pause and scatter, getting out of her way so she could take the lead. Once they were out from under her feet, Lifaen fell to the ground, shaking it with her weight. Lips pulled back to reveal her teeth, she hunched against the ground and slowly began to approach the dog creature, trying to scare if back into the depths of the Underworld where it belonged.

Nyx, still looking weak and scared, whimpered and shuddered. She still had the spear in her back left haunch and had a gash in her front right. She hadn't attacked or defended herself after she howled. She was just distracting until Grimrr came back after being knocked unconscious. She was feeling woozy and started swaying, struggling to stay standing.

((But with the dawn, there's more light so you can see them coming xd.png ))

Celeste woke up within the city of Lyambo, in a small cottage that was so similar to one of her childhood. She stretched out her stiff limbs - if limbs could be considered stiff in the the slightly less solid form she had in the Underworld. Being a Nightwalker, she was not quite a spirit, but still seemed to have the hazy look that all the souls of the dead possessed. Unfortunately most of the dead still veiwed Nightwalkers as monsters, but at least they didn't try to kill them while they slept. Lyambo was safe... as long as she didn't cause any trouble for the city and its Watchers.

((Time to crack the old fingers and wake up!))

Eldunari's eyes flicked open and she gazed around. The bleak underworld lay before her and almost instantly she got to her feet and set in motion. She ran for a minute and took off into the sky, searching for any danger below. She glided over the city's slathered gray walls and perched upon a nearby pillar. She looked around at the city full of nightwalkers and then let her eyes shift to the outskirts of the city. She caught sight of a guard talking to n elderly woman but she did not like the look of the situation. She leapt from the pillar and swopped down, pulling up just before she hit the nearest building and made her way towards them. She flared her wings, the early sun glinting off each of her armored scales, and landed with a deep thud that made plumes of dust rise from her paws. She lowered her head to the guard and gave it a single questioning eye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grimrr's vision began to clear and he felt as if he were emerging from a deep swamp of tar. He drew in a massive breath as his heart and lungs began to work overtime. His eyes flicked around, taking in his surroundings. He was in a too small cave and most of the light that was filtering through was covered by a.. dog? With a burst of memory he thought to himself 'Nyx!' As he looked at her he saw that she was greatly injured and as he looked past her he could see the gaping jaws of a nocturne. Silently he cursed himself for falling into such a state, and rose to his feet, or more into a crouch. He pressed his muzzle to Nyx's flank quickly and then emerged from the cave. He looked deep into the nocturne's eyes and let out a fierce yowl that rumbled through the air around him. He stepped in front of Nyx and took up a defensive position. He knew this was not a battle he could easily win and he was not about to lose Nyx.

((Sorry if Sirin isn't a guard thats just what I gathered.))

Edited by Shur'turgal

Nyx was happy that Grimrr was back to. She smiled, but then collapsed. The spear was still in her back left leg. She had over-exerted herself trying to protect Grimrr, now she was paying for it. Welcome back she said in his head.

(She's an original species that I made up. She appears to be human, though.)

Sirin heard a noise as some sort of odd creature landed before her. She looked back at Eldunari. Can I help you? She asked, managing to be polite. Though she didn't know if the creature could talk, she at least tried to be civilized to it and treat it like it could talk and speak to it. Sirin didn't know what kind of creature it was, but she was sure that it wasn't happy with her. Sirin saw a complicated and dangerous future ahead for the creature when she (Sirin) looked into her (Eldunari) eyes. The future appeared to have many battles in store for the creature. Although this wasn't rare, she was puzzled, and Underworld creature shouldn't have this kind of future. Well, at least she thought it shouldn't from past experience. But 8 years wasn't so long, right?

Lifaen only became more irritated when a creature burst out from under the walls. UNDER THE WALLS?! That was unacceptable! Before she knew it, creatures would be burrowing their way into the city, and she couldn't allow that to happen. Once this battle was over, she would have to make sure to search the wall for more and make sure this hole got filled in so no creatures could come and abuse it.

There was no comfort in the fact the dog creature appeared to be injured. In the Underworld, everything was unpredictable. One moment a creature could look weak, and the next it could be tearing you apart piece by piece. It never did to trust your eyes while guarding, only your instincts. That was the one thing that would never fail her in this world of madness.

And it was because of her instincts that she sensed these creatures were hardly worth her time. They were creating a ruckus, yes, but they didn't have the feel of the truly dangerous creatures that lurked in the Underworld. Before she wasted more time with this, she growled low and said, 'Just get out of here. You are creating havoc and I won't have it.'

If they decided to stick around, then yes, she'd be forced to do something about it. The cat-creature sure seemed ready for a fight and she was willing to give it if he pressed at her, but really, there was no need for any of this. They all had better things to do than fight for who knew what.

Edited by Walker

Eldunari was slightly disturbed at the way this person looked at her, but she tried not to show it. She clacked her teeth together and said 'You could tell me what is happening here.' She turned her gaze to the elderly woman, who she did not trust at all. She could feel something inside the being that was off. She lifted her massive head, keeping her gaze on the two beings before her and snorted a puff of smoke in annoyance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grimrr looked into the nocturnes eyes, glad that it was not wanting to fight. Sure he had been thinking of ways to dispatch the massive beast but none of them were fool proof. However, he would not be dismissed like an unworthy scrap of meat. He sat down gently and put on a bored face. He raised a paw and groomed it then pulled it over his ear, while flicking his tail in defiance. He did not want to fight, especially because of Nyx, but he assumed this was her home, and he would defend that. He cast his thoughts into the dragon's mind and calmly said 'We are creating no havoc, we were defending the city when the guards turned on us. How is this our fault, I ask you?' He held the dragon's gaze with a look of unwavering annoyance.

Sirin was surprised that the creature could speak. Oh! Well, I was just talking to...um...this lady and we were having a civilized conversation. It is not lady-like to argue, so we didn't. Besides, I was just going. Sirin replied to the dragon. The woman pulled up her dress so that it wouldn't drag on the ground and curtsied, an old tradition. Sirin then stood up normally and walked past the dragon, patting it on the head as she went to annoy it. Perhaps she wasn't thinking of how the dragon might hurt her, but, then again, she might have been thinking it was a domestic pet that liked to be patted, either way, it was the wrong move.

'I do not care whose fault it is,' Lifaen snapped back, ill-tempered after all she'd gone through the night before. She didn't need any of this right now. As much as it was ridiculous to ask for when guarding the gates of Lyambo, all she wanted was a quiet day with few or no interruptions. It happened on rare occasions after all.... She just hated that her day was already being spoiled so quickly.

'You do not need to guard anymore, so begone. I'm here to do my job and you're just in the way,' she finished.

With that, she stood up from her hunched position and sat next to the wall, purposefully making sure her tail covered the opening of the den. If they dared to go down there again, they'd meet her teeth and claws. It was in their best interest to just move along. Anyways, how did she know they were telling the truth? Although she did not sense they were dangerous, that doesn't mean what they claimed was truthful. More likely they'd been pulling some annoying prank that angered the guards. Underworld creatures weren't exactly known for their truthfulness.

Eldunari did not like the human's curt response and when she patted her on the head it made her fierce. She reared up on her legs and came crashing back down. She snapped her jaws and let a massive cloud of smoke engulf the human. She smashed her tail against the ground and then turned to the elderly woman. 'And you,' she growled, 'be gone!' She snapped her jaws at the elderly woman and crouched down, hoping to scare it off.

((p.s. Eldunari is a little over 8 feet tall and her head was raised so I don't know if you would have been able to pat it xd.png ))

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grimrr was slightly angered, but he did not show it. He watched and listened to the dragon and chuckled to himself when it put it's tail in front of the den. He took a moment to analyze this opponent, not necessarily meaning to fight but preparing for it. This nocturne was bigger than most, but he was no weak, waking world, housecat either. He had the strength of sheer determination and defense of a friend behind him. Adding a slick sound to his powerful voice he laughed and said, 'Who said we were still planning on defending this meager city. Or maybe we should, as it is clear you cannot even stop a hound and a cat from entering the city, like we already have.'

Edited by Shur'turgal

Nyx weakly lifted her head to look at the two. Grimrr, I can make my den elsewhere. And, whoever you are, look in for yourself. You'll only find a bed made out of dead grass and a couple of animal bones. My den is here because I normally keep the guards company and entertained. I remember seeing one of your kind here before, but she was nice and allowed me to stay. Why wont you? she asked before her head fell back on the ground. She whimpered as her back haunch started to feel numb.

Cethlenn was aware of the power that a single Nocturne could bring to bear on one of her ilk. So all she did was make some form of deferent curtsy before drifting slowly away, after all the light drained most of her powers and stopped her from restoring spent energy.

If a Nocturne was old enough, ancient in the years of mortals, they would recognise who she was and could converse, if a little warily, with her. Her true name still held power over her, and true names had power over any being - it was just a matter of what use it was turned to whether it was Black Magic or that of the White School.

(Perhaps she was standing a bit higher up, on a raised part of the ground, for example. My point was that she was supposed to annoy Eldunari. xd.png)

Sirin halted suddenly. She was surrounded in smoke and she coughed on it. However, the woman just stared at the Nocturne angrily and kept going on her way. She was not in the mood to be going around and speaking to whatever creature appeared in the Underworld. She had other things to do, things to plan, things to worry about. Sirin had no time for a silly dragon! Then again...maybe the dragon would hold the answers...

'I do not let you stay because I say so,' she growled to the creatures. It wasn't her job to be nice to the underworld beasts like it was to the humans. She felt no affection for them, not after all the battles she had waged with creatures like them; they were the ones that killed the ones she was meant to guard. They were the ones who covered her hide in scars and broke off her horns. It was true some of her kind was more tolerant of the harmless underworld creatures that lurked about, but she wasn't one of those.

She would ignore them if they didn't cause a fuss, but she'd come back to just that. Details didn't matter to her; she just wanted the commotion to die down finally. Her wounds still burned and she wanted to attend to them in peace. 'Unless you give me a good reason as to why I should, then I'll see to it that you leave whether you want to or not,' she hissed.

Nyx was semi-concious when she heard the dragon hiss at her to give her a reason. Because I was only protecting Grimrr, not attacking. A spirit was over there that meant harm but the guards attacked us instead, even though we were attacking the spirit... she replied before falling unconcious.

((ALRIGHT, just like Shur was, My character is unconcious. It is because I wont get much internet whilst I am in California. My same wishes as Shur, although I don't mind if ma charrie was captured... easy to get out of. WELL that's all, thanks!!))

Eldunari was pleased that she had cast the old "woman" away, however she still felt uncomfortable about the more arrogant one. She swiftly turned herself around and searched for her. She had not gotten far so Eldunari slowly strode up to her. She stepped in front of the woman and lowered her gaze so yet again, the woman was faced with a massive glass like eye. 'I, Eldunari, guarder of cities, will not allow you to go any closer to the city of Lyambo.' She said in a rather commanding voice. She sat down smugly and searched the woman's face for a responsive emotion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grimrr let out a purr like rumble and narrowed his eyes. Nyx's unconsciousness did not come as a surprise to him, but he knew he could not play with this nocturne too long before having to help Nyx. 'You cannot make me leave, dragon.' he said smugly, 'I know your kind and am not afraid of you. I can tell by looking at you, just by seeing into your eyes that you cannot even threaten me with fire. Ha. you are not worthy of guarding this city. I have been in the city many a time, and have you stopped me? Have any of you or the foolish human guards, stopped me!' Grimrr laughed at the words and circled the dragon all the while. 'You should not have attacked us, you should have let us be. If it weren't for my injured friend here, I would tear you to shreds. You may be bigger than me, but with size comes many faults, and I could sweep around to the base of your skull before you could completely unfold your wings. I will not though, I will let you be. However, do not always expect peace from me, for I can reek havoc on a whim... and I intend to. Giving the dragon his own hiss, he ran back to Nyx and put her small, fragile body onto his back. He took off faster than the eye of a human could see and almost quick enough to slip past a nocturne's gaze as he raced toward the out reaches of the wilderness.

Lifaen roared after him as he fled, infuriated. No matter what the creature might claim, what did he know of her or her kind? Nor, obviously, did he know what an attack was. Had she slashed at them with her claws? Had she nipped at them with her teeth? No, she had merely made a show to get them to leave. If he was still here, she would have taught him the true meaning of a battle, with blood and pain. If he ever knew the true realities of guarding the gates of Lyambo perhaps he would have not been so vehement.

But he would be nothing more than another creature of the Underworld, a potential enemy to those she must guard. Snorting, she got to her feet and made sure to fill in the den under the walls with a few swipes of her feet. Once she was sure that breach was covered, she resumed her patrol along the wall, sniffing at it's base for any more dens or holes she might have missed.

Sirin turned her head to the dragon. She stared it down before replying. I have received permission from your Elders to come and go from Lyambo as I please, like you. I am no silly human. I am the only Labyrinthian that I know of, and I am more use to them than I am trouble to you, she grinned. Sirin continued towards the city gates. Even though she saw some sort of odd battle going on near the gates, she walked towards Lyambo. Sirin hoped the dragon at the guard post wouldn't be too busy to talk some sense into Eldunari.

(She actually is allowed inside of Lyambo. wink.gif)

((I assumed so xd.png I'm just kicking up some dirt, if you know what I mean.))

Eldunari flicked her tail in annoyance, she did not care if the elders perceived this Labyrinthian as an asset, she did not like it. Once again she moved in front of the human, but this time she made the effort of leaping over her, before spinning around on the ground to face her. She flared her massive wings and curled her lips back, saying 'I do not care if the elders see you as useful, you could be their pet, but I do not like you, and I will not let you pass. You seem like a threat and you being a Labyrinthian is highly unlikely. I will ask you kindly to turn away from the city, and go elsewhere. Now.' Eldunari's face flashed with defiance, she did not trust the elders, so she was sure enough not going to trust this thing.

(Okay. I just wanted to make sure in OoC.)

Sirin snorted and crossed her arms. Listen, I don't care if you're a dragon or not, I am allowed inside Lyambo and if you obstruct me the Mother and Father will be angry, Sirin shouted. Though she doubted the dragon knew who Mother and Father were, she still mentioned them. Sirin felt a small tingle at the back of her throat. Oh, it was coming. She would blurt out the prophecy to the dragon who was obstructing her. Perfect. Just...perfect. Sirin scowled a bit and tried to go around the dragon. Deep down, she knew that Eldunari would not let her pass. Sirin sighed, slightly frustrated. What would she do? Wait? No. She didn't have that kind of time, she would get bored. Fight? No, she would lose bitterly. Sirin sighed again. She guessed she would have to wait for something to happen.

Mother and father? Eldunari thought to herself, Why would I care if her bearers would not be pleased with me.. She did not voice her opinions because she felt as though the words had more meaning behind them than she knew. Eldunari let a smirk slide across her face as she watched the human consider walking around her, like that would happen. however, she was very insistent upon entering the city. Eldunari decided to call upon an older dragon to consult with. She saw a dragon by the gates who was yelling after a massive cat, it looked like Lifaen but she wasn't sure. She raised her head and bellowed out. It sounded like an angry yell but it was accompanied by a thought that was cast out so only dragons could hear it, which asked for help. Eldunari lowered her head back down and sat calmly, staring at the being.

Sirin sat on a rock that was protruding from the ground and returned the dragon's stare. She sat so straight that it tired her, but Sirin did not stand. She sat in silent protest. She waited for Eldunari to leave. She would have to, sooner or later. Either she would leave during the day or she would be forced to go back to the Earth by night. Either way, Sirin would have to wait a while. Her grey eyes raked over the scales of the dragon, recording every imperfection. If she couldn't leave the being, she would judge it.

She was still working on ferreting out holes under the wall when a call for assistance from another dragon reached her. Her head came up and she swung it around, looking for the source. Well, at least it didn't seem to be the urgent sort. As much as she enjoyed a battle, she was in no condition for one right now. The blood had stopped flowing from her tail and leg, but she was still sore and it would take some weeks to heal completely.

She trotted toward the dragon, limping a little because of her injured foreleg. When she got close, a familiar scent reached her nostrils. Her lips curled back a bit and she shuffled her wings. There was no doubt about it; that was Eldunari. She wondered what the younger dragon wanted. Did this have something to do with what was happening in the Waking World?

'Yes? she asked as she arrived on the scene.

Eldunari took a glance at the dragon coming toward her and could not help but notice the discomfort int the other dragon. On closer inspection she could see that this was definitely Lifaen. She greeted her with a quick nod, and flicked her tail toward the seated person. Blocking her thoughts from the other being just in case she told Lifaen, ' This creature here has aroused my senses. I saw her talking to an old ghoul out here and now she is acting very strange. I told her that she would not be allowed in Lyambo for now due to suspicious behavior, and she claims the elders will be upset with me. Not saying that I am fooled by her suggestions but I was wondering if you had ever seen this woman.'