Walker

Die Anew

Nyx mentally shook herself. I'll- I'll try. Of course she had to wake up! Why didn't she think of it before?! She mentally pushed herself. She felt her eyes squint. With a major push, they opened. She was on Grimrr's back. What the- GAH! When she lifted her head, it broke her balance. She fell off and thudded on the ground. Oi! she slowly got up and shook herself off. She slowly tried to catch up without making a sound.

Celeste followed quietly behind Amun. Her thoughts just kept going around in circles. She was uncertain if anywhere would be truely safe for one of her kind.

-----------------

Cethlenn looked at the guards as they were recovering from the last vestiges of her magic. They seemed disorientated and uncertain as to what happened to them and their slain comrades. Eventually they decided that she was responsible for the deaths and started to turn their weapons on her.

This meant she wasn't paying any attention to her surroundings, insanity may be useful in the imagination department, but it certainly didn't help the attention department.

Amun couldn't help sighing a little. That voice, the same one that had been screaming at him from the window moments earlier. For a short while, the manners that had been drilled into him since he was a child took the front seat. He held out one of his hand and leaned down a little to look at her. "Are you alright miss? Here, let me help you to your feet," he said as pleasantly as he could manage.

However, in the back of his mind he couldn't help wondering if this human was following them and he didn't like it in the least. He frowned minutely at the thought. Well, he would dig a little more before he settled on doing something that he really didn't wish to. For all he knew she could be completely innocent, and he really hoped she was. "What's a young lady like you doing going out like a time like this? You'd be surprised what sort of creatures lurk in the night miss," he added.

As an afterthought, he glanced at the horizon. It wouldn't be night for long; he had to hurry with this.

Lifaen paused in her ministrations for a moment and turned her head sideways to glare at Eldunari with one of her ruby red eyes. As proud as she was, it wasn't in her nature to forgive that quickly, but it was a start. As long as she was getting the respect she deserved.... 'Very well. I will not be angry,' she replied. As for that second offer....

She returned to licking her wounds, trying to clean them of dirt and dust. She'd had much worse over the years, or her hide wouldn't be so scarred and she'd still have both of her horns. If the youngling thought losing the tip of her tail or the bite to her leg were anything that would ground her for very long then she underestimated her strength considerably. 'I am quite capable of caring for myself, but the offer is noted,' she replied.

Eldunari rumbled deep within herself at the news of Lifaen's dismissal of her anger. It was only when she saw the look in the older dragon's eyes and heard the tone of her voice when she turned down her second offer, that Eldunari realized something. She realized that although her offer had been good natured it could be taken as an offense. With the decline she raised her head and gently said 'As you wish.'

As she crawled to a spot where she could rest in the cave, she stole a look at the human. She could not help but feel some instinct to offer to gather food for it or at least allow it to be warmed by her underbelly. She refused those instincts and decided to curl up and reflect on the night. She laid down on her belly,tucked her legs beneath her, folded her wings comfortably and wrapped her tail around the outside of her body. As she rested her head on her forelegs she allowed her eyes to drift shut.

Through her dreamy state she thought of her adventure. Her ,almost, fight with the older dragon had been a good experience but putting that ugly, hulking elder in his place was the highlight of the night. However, she could not withhold her feelings of sadness. What if I cannot go back? Every friend I have made back on my mountain home will be gone! If I can go back, it will not be worth it. Every dragon will look down upon me for what I have done or I will be.. No I will not think of that, I must think of the great mystery here, with me, in this very cave. This human could change things for us dragons in a most amazing way.. With that last inner thought she slept, even though she had not realized how tired she had been, she slept a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It took Grimrr a long moment to notice the lack of presence of weight on his back. He skidded to a stop and spun around. He saw Nyx, brave as ever trying to keep pace, even in her radical state. He quickly trotted to her her side and took some of her weight. He looked at her with a sideways glance and said 'Let us show this beast why it should not venture into our territory ever again.'

Sirin was greatly perplexed by her latest message, but with no one in earshot to hear it, she waited before spouting it out. Flashes of a greatly disfigured, zombie-like beast reigned her thoughts. Disgusted, she tried to think of happy things, but nothing came to her. She sighed, the Underworld was really not a place for happy thoughts. She wandered through Lyambo, bored and alone. She wished she could be a Nightwalker or a spirit or a Nocturne so she could at least have companions of her own kind.

She sight was clouded with what she saw in her mind, so she saw nothing around her, but she imagined that it was the same as it always was.

(Is it daytime or nighttime?)

Scarlet didnt mind being pushed off, though, Scarlet was very pleased when Eldunari fell asleep and Lifaen caring for her wounds. While she thought they weren't noticing, she crawled outside and found a couple of large rocks. Picking the flatest and smoothest one, she began to push it towards some bushes near their cave. After it was buried inside a bush, she dive in. Good enough, She thought at the feel of the bushes. It felt a bit better this way, the way it should be.

(Ok; thank you!)

Sirin blinked and her mind stopped limiting her sight. Lyambo was deserted except for spirits and Underworld creature, but soon, the Nightwalkers and Nocturnes would fill it and the city would become more interesting. For now, though, Sirin waited. She prepared herself to connect with Mother to pass on the message, lifting the burden from herself and leaving it to others to interprete. She ran through the poetic prophecy again in her mind.

The two worlds will fall

For the fear of death

and the letting go of all

The man with no breath

shall return

and creatures of both night and day

must fight to wipe out

the man with no heartbeat

and his army of the exploited

It all seemed so grim, but Mother and Father could not be mistaken. Could they?

Nyx smiled a wolfy grin. She nodded and started going at a faster rate. She didn't want to slow Grimrr down.

Thage looked at the man in curiosity when he offered his hand to help her. No one had ever been so nice to her before... This was so nice! She took the hand, and with his assistance, stood up. She listened to the small chatter, and noticed the way he strung his words. Obviously, he came from nobility; otherwise, he wouldn't have been so polite and nice after she rudely bumped into him. "I apologize; I was going to get our week's worth of food from the market. I dislike the sun, and do not wish to take the rusk of becoming burned... By any chance," She was going out on a limb here - certainly this was a fine gentleman... "do you come from a wealthy family? I am certain that these common vagabonds would never offered to assist me. Thank you, by the way..." Thage looked into the man's eyes. He looked like he was foreign, but he spoke just like her...

Edited by gistofeverything

Chaos. The creature of many faces and many bodies at the center of the Underworld. Constantly shifting, unpredictable, indescribable. Even he could not predict his next mood or fancy, as that was his nature and always would be. He shifted a little and the whole structure of the Underworld rippled, changing into bizarre and wondrous things. This was his power, to be the center of a world in constant alteration.

Once it had been that way.

No longer.

He let out a hideous roar that rippled the Underworld's very fabric once again, and strained against the bonds placed on him by his own offspring. Order. A force that had been born out of the Chaos unexpectedly, before there was any sense in the Universe, when Chaos ruled supreme. Soon after the birth, those forces had clashed and Order had come out the victor.

However, the fight was not over.

His own creatures were rising, half of order and half of chaos. The seeds were planted and it would only take so long before the laws crumbled entirely. Then he would be free to shape the universe again with no restraints, at the mercy of his countless whims. Chaos was proliferating, and the signs were everywhere. However, Order had finally become so set in her ways that she was blind to it. By the time she realized, it would be too late.

He hadn't planned this, no. Planning was not in the nature of Chaos. But it was happening, an unstoppable force, just like him.

"Miss, if I were from nobility, I would say you should not be seen talking to the likes of me," he offered, cringing a little at the sting he had to give himself. But it was more important for him to convince her to leave them then to indulge his own pride. Survival outstripped everything, especially with dawn so close... Too close. If he stayed much longer, he'd "drop dead" at her feet, and that would be bad. It could spell the end for him. For the first time in a long time, he felt real fear, as he had when he'd been beaten mercilessly by his supposed "friends."

"Celeste, let's be going," he called to the other Nightwalker. No time to end the conversation formally at this point. He was pushing getting back to his apartment in time as it was. He glanced back over at the strange girl who had just bumped into him, slightly apologetic. He wished he could stay and talk like the average person, like a LIVING person, but the clock was ticking and it was almost time to die anew. If he was truly alive, at that moment he would have commented on how her music had been like a dream.

But for him life itself was like a dream, and instead of complimenting her, he turned on his heels and began to run. 'I must look like a pickpocket right now,' he thought with disdain.

Hopefully Celeste would have the sense to follow.

Lifaen yawned and curled up on the ground, her body beginning to stiffen as if dead. However, it was far from that. It was almost time for her to take up her post at the gates of Lyambo. The day was just beginning.

Edited by Walker

Grimrr ran along with Nyx, at least he was running she was more sprinting. As they ran he planned out a million things that would drive the spirit away. A torrent of torturous deeds ran through his skull and in his excitement he was blind. He did not have time to think as a guard stuck his shield right in front of his muzzle. He ran into it full force and his vision flickered before his limbs crumpled and he fell to the ground. He felt like he was under the pressure of a demon and images swirled through his eyes but he could not really see them, he was not even aware of his own body.

((Okay so now Grimrr is knocked out so he can be played around and dawn will defeat the spirit so Nyx can do whatever she pleases. Oh and while I am gone you can say that maybe Grimrr was dragged somewhere so he would be out of harms way or someone was trying to help him out, just don't kill him or put me in an impossible situation to roleplay from when I get back. As for Eldunari, she slipped into a deep sleep so she could travel to the underworld easier so we can just assume that she is doing her duties in Lyambo or whatever, occasionally if you would like to say you spoke to her or did something with her you can. I just don't want to block you guys.))

Nyx stopped dead in her tracks. She growled at the guard and barked at it. It tried to come in with it's sword, but Nyx bit it and it fleed. She whimpered and knelt beside Grimrr. She put him on her back and fled to a den she had made in the wall of the city. She put him in there and walked out, right by the gates of Lyambo. No guard knew about her den, and she wanted it to stay that way. She knew if anyone found out about this den, then Grimrr would be killed. The guards started surrounding her with swords and spears, but she just whimpered, barked, and defended herself. Keeping them at a distance.

Edited by Xarria

Celeste glanced apolegetically over her shoulder as she picked up her pace to follow Amun. The approaching dawn was starting to feel like a pressure at the back of her mind, she knew what the rising sun would bring and she feared it. She could speculate on what would happen should she be caught away from a 'safe' place, none of those ended well for her.

Scarlet stared up to the sky, it was gleaming at her mockingly. While frowning the whole time before going to bed, she thought of what might be her demise. She had other thoughts of it other times, and even several times today. But this time, she thought her demise would be in her sleep.

She was losing strength, she couldn't handle much more. She howled in sorrow and pain, and that made the guards stop. They still surrounded her, but they didn't attack. They heard the sorrow and pain from the seemingly endless howl.

(My kindle fire is dying...so if I suddenly stop posting, that's why.)

Sirin gazed around. Some creatures wih split souls poured into the Underworld in waves. She looked at them in disgust. The Nightwalkers had no lives, though they lived on. The Nocturnes all looked somewhat unhappy. This probably had something to do with their inability to be with humans any longer because of some old Nocturnes' orders. It all confused her, but she did not ask questions. She wandered around in her endless boredom. When you know all that is to come, the world is always monotonous and bleak.

Thage looked after the strange man, seeing a girl go off after him. They both apologetically looked back at her, and she gazed with sad eyes as the receded. Right then, she had a decision to make. She could either follow the two of them, or be good and go to the market. With dawn approaching fast, she needed to choose something. Following the heat of the moment, she set off after the strange couple. There was something off about the man. He spoke with an accent, yet he was so nice to her. What he didn't know was that her father was of the royal counsel of Viskra; the head of the Ministry of Science. They were a wealthy family, yet her father never left his cave without a summons. Determined, she continued to follow the couple to see what made them so unique.

((Walker, look out for a PM))

Amun was too distracted in his rush to get back to his apartment to notice the girl that had gotten it into her head to follow them. Even if he had, there wouldn't have been any time for him to do anything about it. Cutting it close was an understatement. He could already feel the world beginning to get more distant and his limbs stiffening, as they tended to do in the few minutes that separated the night from the dawn. When he finally reached his "home," he rushed through the doors, not even waiting to see if Celeste had managed to keep up with him.

It wasn't until he had gotten into the apartment that he paused and turned to see if she was still there. As he did, the world before him began to blurr a little. He cursed and struggled to shut the door before his daily death overcame him, but it didn't do any good. When he grabbed the door handle, his hand merely shook and slipped off a moment later, too weak to grasp it properly. Pain rushed through his body, making him feel as if he was on fire and causing him to fall to the floor in a heap. A few moments later, the last of the world around him dimmed and all that was left was a seemingly dead body on the ground.

Sirin noticed more and more Nightwalkers entering the Underworld in agony. She grieved and felt for them each day, though, with each one that she saw crying out in pain, the colder her heart grew. It pierced her when some first-timers asked for help or directions. She, sadly, couldn't bear to answer their questions, though she knew all the answers when she looked deep into their eyes. It was too much for her, so she scampered away into a crack in a large stone just outside the walls of Lyambo. She slid into it and sighed with relief, she couldn't see or hear the Nightwalkers.

Oh, how the world was cruel to her, she would never be able to evade the knowingness that she could never share. She felt as if she, too, were dying every day. And with this thought, she cried. On and on she wept with a sudden sadness that hit her she suddenly and strongly that she kept weeping until she felt her face and realized that no tears were emerging. With that, she gathered herself again and slipped out of the crack with red eyes and rosy cheeks. How obvious was it that she had been crying, she wondered. Perhaps she would never know.

Celeste barely managed to stumble through the half closed door behind Amun as the first rays of sun touched the horizon. She doubled over in pain as her lung burned with the fire of pain. This wasn't the pain that normal, living beings would experiance after exertion - this was the pain of death. Every dawn, Celeste would experiance the same sensations as she did on her day of death.

Her breathing became more ragged and harsh, her vision blurred as her eyes started to see both the Underworld and the Waking World of the living. Just for a brief moment, she was part of both worlds - yet belonged to neither.

Then it all ended, she was dragged down into the world of the Dead, just as her body collapsed completely in the world of the Living. No movement. No sign that she was alive just a few minutes before....

------------------

Dawn in the Underworld, at least in Lyambo, was heralded by bells. These bells seemed to ring with joy, daytime - even though still dangerous - was free from the nighttime horrors that wandered the plains. Horrors, such like that which Cethlenn had become during her long existance.

Cethlenn recoiled as the first chimes sounded, the sound seemed to hurt her more than any physical attack could. Her body twisted into undescribable shapes as she tried to flee into the retreating shadows. The watery sun of the Underworld may not have the same burning power as the sun that ruled the days of the living, but it still could do some damage to those of darkness.

As Cethlenn fled West away from Lyambo, to evade the Eastern light, her form seemed to waver as the first rays reached out. Her scream was at once terrifying and lingered in the air. ((Banshee howl anyone?))

Her spirit shape lost most of its surrounding mist, her claws melted away into nothing... all that remained of Cethlenn was an elderly female dressed in rags. She remained still, where she had been caught by the sun, staring into the wastes of the Underworld. If one approached her, they would see that her eyes were sightless orbs - one partially sealed from an injury that seemed recent, yet seemed to be as old as she appeared.

Sirin heard a banshee scream unlike any she had heard before. Her heart was immediately pierced with pain. She tried to fight it, but she just had to go see who had let out that horrid scream. Towards the sound, or where the sound had erupted from, she ran. She ran until she thought there was no hope of finding the sufferer, but them she saw the ghost. She was so old...and creepy. Something drew Sirin to the spirit, still. Wh- what can I do to help you, miss? Sirin spoke timidly, which was uncharacteristic of her. She feared the old woman, though she did not yet know of her horrors. Sirin could only see the back of the ghost, yet it still gave her chills to know that this would happen to her if she stayed around the Underworld long enough. Sirin shuttered as she continued along on her way so she could face the woman and saw her frightening face. Sirin longed to curl up and hide, but her corset prevented her from even slouching, so she was forced to stand tall against the terror.

Cethlenn blinked and turned towards the speaker, being blind, the sound of a voice was the only thing that guided her.

"There are things out here older than I. Yet I am the one thats feared...." She murmured softly, as if somehow sensing what the speaker was feeling, perhaps it was the way the speaker spoke that gave her the clue. "Only the blind can truely see."

((Cethlenn is mad.... most of the things she says have no real meaning.....))

(M'kay. Good to know.)

But, ma'am, you don't know the half of it. I could tell you what will happen in each and every one of your days until you cease to exist, but I cannot, because if I did, it would only shift balance. So use your years to give you wisdom instead of madness. Sirin spoke in a confident manner, because she spoke of familiar things. Though it also helped that Sirin wasn't looking at Cethlenn while she spoke, which gave her confidence in itself. As Sirin looked at the ghost, though, she noticed that one of her eyes looked deformed and she gagged upon the thought of it.

Nyx's howl trailed off. She backed up against the wall, covering up her den in which she was hiding Grimrr. A guard brought his spear in and it gashed her front right leg, making her yelp. Another guard hit her in her back left haunch, making her yelp again. She started whining, her tail between her legs. She wasn;t attacking, she wasn't even defending anymore.