Walker

Die Anew

The others were taking so long that Eldunari decided to head back down. As she descended the slowly reared and let the wind catch her wings so when she landed it was gentle. She crept back over to the two and pondered them for a moment. What an odd sight it was, to see a human on a dragon, she decided it was something she could not get used to.

She sauntered over to them and dipped her head 'Why do you tarry?' She kept her head low and kept her wings open, ready to take off upon answer.

Nyx, with something to do, quickly trotted over to the gate, inspecting the guards. They were used to seeing her there, so they said hi and waved, but Nyx just barked at them and cocked her head to the side. They laughed and went back to guarding the gate. Idiots... she thought. She checked the guards armaments and could tell that they had swords, daggers, and throwing knives. Quite heavily armed for the gate of the dead, but she could understand it.

Having gone far enough that no one was around Grimrr stopped. Staying standing he willed himself to change. He could feel the energy of the air surging through him, starting in his paws, that quickly lost their fur and his talons dissolved, and working up. Soon enough he was in a body that always felt unfamiliar to him, but he slowly got used to. He peered down at his hands, missing his claws of death and self warming fur. No matter, being this way was something he was accustomed to. Looking around, he coughed, testing his voice and then walked to one of the many dens he kept his clothing in. He tugged on his tattered leggings and white shirt, fluffed his hair and jogged back to Lyambo.

After a while the massive city came into sight and he veered toward the path that lead to the West gate. He glanced around and saw Nyx near the guards and assumed she had checked them, but looked with his own eyes one more time. He saw that they carries swords, daggers, and throwing knives, well armed.. That did not matter though, he had gone in and out of the city thousands of times, now he had to figure away to get the hound in. Reaching out with his mind and felt Nyx's mind and said 'You do not see me but I am near be prepared to follow instructions on our next mental contact. Do not veer from what I tell you to do, as it could end tragically.' he walked on to the path with the few nightwalkers that were leaving the city, except he intended to enter. Near the gate he tripped and fell and hoped that Nyx's sight would not be clouded by surprise when she noticed he was different. No longer cat, but a round-eared, two-legged human.

Nyx's ears pricked forward at the message. Alright. And, also, I'll flick my ear so that you know I got the message, unless advised otherwise. Nyx responded. She sat, looking out. She then noticed a figure tripping. My, my, my. How did the cat find that guise? she chuckled.

Knowing how much he looked like one of those young humans, he began to cry, hopping to attract the attention of the guards. He dared not ope his mind yet, incase he alerted a guard. Sure enough a guard ran to him and picked him up. As the guard attempted to pull him to his feet he let out a screeching wail and dropped back to the ground. With concern in his voice the guard asked 'Young boy, are you alright?'

Keeping his voice as low as possible he said, in a whining voice 'I-I think so.. However I cannot find my dog..'

'Your dog'

'Yes, she is black and resembles a German shepherd. S-She is normally at my side, and has been since I lost my sight but, I-I can't seem to feel her around now..'

To his partner the guard shouted to bring that dog over, as he assumed that was the one Grimrr was talking about. Quickly, to Nyx he said 'Do not hesitate to follow the guard and when you arrive near me act as if you are happy. When I touch your face do not shy away. After that walk close by my side and hold me up as much as you can.' Now he just had to wait, and see if Nyx was really going to follow through.

Nyx flicked her right ear. The guard brought her over and Nyx acted as told. She yipped and barked and ran over to Grimrr. She sat, her tail wagging like crazy and her tongue lolling out. God, i look soo stupid she laughed in her head.

'You may look stupid, but they are truly stupider than you look.' The guard that had been kneeling next to Grimrr spoke to him now and asked, 'Is that your dog, boy?'

Grimrr reached out to feel Nyx's face and as he did he exclaimed, 'Yes! Yes that is her!'

He tried to maintain his childish voice but for a moment it slipped and his deep, regal voice was the one he was speaking in. The guard gave Grimrr an odd look and then acted as if it was nothing. Wary, he asked Grimrr, 'Will you be able to enter the city alright?'

Grimrr just looked at him, or really looked past him and replied, letting an odd tone slip into his voice 'Yes, now that I have my hound I will be fine.' With that the guard stood up as did Grimrr. Grimrr beckoned for Nyx to come so they could do what they had been aiming to all along, enter Lyambo.

((Didn't want to put any of Nyx's actions in there just in case you wanted to do something else before entering the city and what not))

((It doesn't matter to me, I don't need anything to happen))

Nyx was doing as she was told. She was rubbing up against Grimrr and also holding him up. Her tongue lolled out as she looked around her. She looked like she was entirely content, but she was actually very tense and focused on her task, simple as it may be.

((The Guardians do have spells cast on the city to protect it while they're not there, so anyone who goes in with malicious intent will get assaulted by spells. Not saying your characters are, just for future reference X3))

'I am merely being careful,' Lifaen replied. She stretched her wings a few times and beat them experimentally, trying to find a good rhythm despite the burden on her back. She'd have to remember not lose herself in the joys of flight or she might drop the little thing. It wasn't that she was incapable of catching it if she did, but she'd rather not put it at risk.

'Hold tight! she said to the human on her back. She stood up from her crouching position, ran for a short while to gain momentum, and lifted off the ground. Her wings beat furiously for the first few moments in order to gain altitude, but once she was at a good height she found a steady rhythm that hopefully wouldn't jostle the human too much.

Amun let out a half-hearted laugh, shaking his head a little. Hadn't he asked some of the same questions when he'd first been told? It seemed like a lifetime ago, despite the fact it had only been a little over two years since he figured out the truth. No one ever wanted to believe they had become a monster. Could he rightly blame them? Whatever benefits came from being a Nightwalker were quickly canceled out by the disadvantages. "They're very real," he replied.

"The stories you've heard though, half truths at best. I can tell you the real story, if you want to hear it," he said to her. As long as he was going to be here a while.... Amun set his harp on his knee and pulled off his gloves, revealing his long black claws. He began to pluck at the strings, filling the room with discordant twangs. He worked on tuning his harp as he continued speaking.

"What happened to you, you've become a Nightwalker," he said quietly, pausing to let the news settle in. Some people took it well, some didn't. But as long as they were able to accept it they might have a chance of making a life for themselves despite their new reality. Might.

((We're not don't worry tongue.gif Just going on an adventure.))

Eldunari listened for a moment as the brown dragon replied, and decided it was a good idea. Finally when the other dragon was preparing for flight, Eldunari let out a howl of excitement, and with three long steps and a few flaps, she was airborne. She knew she had to wait for the others but she could not help flying past them for just a moment. After a second, she thought of something that might be of use. She swooped down quickly and extended her mind to the other dragon, with a question on her mind, 'What is your name?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Keep calm' Grimrr telepathically told Nyx. As they walked through the massive gates, Grimrr took on an expression of surprise. However his surprise was no complete facade, Grimrr always felt a bit surprised at the look of the city. He could see the massive citadel and the far end of the city and there was so much in between that overwhelmed him. Even as High King of his race he had never been in such a large city. He pulled away from the sight and hung a left to what looked like a small village of grass huts. Once they were behind a hut Grimrr took his hand off Nyx and stopped staring off into the distance. He crouched low, in front of Nyx with a wry smile on his face and said 'Well Nyx, what would you like to see?'

Edited by Shur'turgal

Scarlet hung on tight, terrified out of her mind. She was gasping silently and thought, Happy Place.. Happy Place... She hardly noticed anything else, only the wind battingf her in the face and her hair flying around like crazy.

'My name is Lifaen,' she replied. She watched the dragon spiral through the air, free of burden. Her wings ached to follow after and attempt to outshine the other dragon, but she couldn't forget the burden she was carrying. In her mind, it was more precious than fancy flying would ever be. For once in her life, she felt content for the moment. This was where the Guardians should be, caring for the humans, not isolated at the top of a remote mountain.

'What is your name?' she asked both the human and the other dragon at once. Perhaps she could distract her from the dizzying flight by speaking with her.

Lifaen Eldunari thought, that is a good name. She could see the way Lifaen labored, while carrying the human. Not wanting to seem unconscious of her troubles Eldunari slowed her strokes and pulled her wings in a little. Having an idea, Eldunari flared her wings again and began to fly in front of the other dragon. With this she hoped Lifaen would be less buffeted by the wind, and would be able to glide a bit in her draft.

When Lifaen asked what her name was in a calm, sweet voice, contradicting her earlier actions she answered 'I am called Eldunari. I hope my choice of flight position makes your flight less labored.' With that she focused on flying while keeping her mind and ears open so she could learn the young human's name.

Barely hearing Lifaen, Scarlet took a couple of moments before answering. She would have answered sooner if she hadn't been having such a hard time. "Scarlet," She breathed after spitting got some of her hair that got into her mouth. This is going to take some time to get used to, She thought.

Scarlet.. seems an odd name, it is not very mystical, maybe that is just not a naming practice among the humans.' Eldunari thought to herself. She had so many questions for the human,=but she remained quiet thinking the elders would know what was appropriate to ask more than she. Eldunari focused on flying, nervous yet excited for the upcoming confrontation.

Lifaen thanked Eldunari, more pleased it would decrease the buffeting on the human than it would make her flight easier. She sped up her pace a little, wanting to be relieved of the burden on her back the longer she carried it. She wasn't really designed to carry humans in this fashion, and souls didn't have "real" weight. Good thing it wouldn't take long to reach the nesting grounds near the summit....

When the caves and other Guardians came into view, she tilted her wings down and began to descend, landing right in the middle of the flat expanse outside the caves where they slept during the day. A few Nocturne hatchlings were playing outside, and they turned their heads to watch the new arrivals curiously. They sniffed the air anxiously, trying to identify the odd scent that accompanies Lifaen.

Crouching down, Lifaen held out her leg like a ladder again. 'We are here,' she told the human on her back.

Not believing that they were there, she just blinked. She felt paralzed by the sudden change until she looked down. Ground.. Scarlet thoguht and climbed down slowly. Ignoring everything else she started jumping up and down. A beam on her face when she realised it was really ground.

For seem reason Eldunari was overly pleased by the gratitude she received from Lifaen. As the top of the summit where the other dragons came into view, Eldunari folded her wings in and quickly descended to the ground where she would not be in the way of Lifaen's landing. She landed beside where Lifaen did and found the other dragon's reactions to the scent of... Scarlet amusing. They were gathering around slightly sniffing at the air and some even snarling. She understood their reaction, as she had one very similar when she first found the human.

Remembering back to that moment, and remembering Lifaen's struggle with herself and decided it may be best that the other dragons did not really know of the human's presence. While Scarlet dismounted Lifaen and began...hopping, Eldunari flared her massive wings. She hoped to stop the others from seeing. She bared her teeth and began snapping and hissing at the dragons. She pawed at them and jabbed her horns into the air, attempting to dismiss the dragons. When only a few scattered Eldunari allowed the fire inside her to rise into her maw and writhe there for a minute. At the sight, even with their knowledge, the dragons understood this was not their place to be and left. Eldunari closed her wings and turned back to the others, with an accomplished look on her face. Slowly opening her mind she asked Lifaen 'Should we do something so that she will be incapable to know the way to the elder's lair. Or do you intend to lead her straight there.' While she waited for a response, she studied the human.. what an odd being it was.

Nyx looked at Grimrr. There's nothing I REALLY want to see. This place is amazing! Nyx smiled. I'll go anywhere you wanna go. Everything I see makes my time here seem a whole lot better

The words ringing in Scarlet's ears, she began to protest. But then thought it unwise since Eldunari and Lifaen were very able to destroy her. And she probaly couldn't out run them, and hiding wouldn't work forever either. Sitting on the ground, she stared at Lifaen to see how she would react and what she would say.

Celeste sank onto a nearby stool as Amun's words sank into her mind. Nightwalker...I've become a Nightwalker.... She glanced over to Amun tuning his harp with clawed hands.

"Well, I guess every legend has a basis of truth somewhere." Celeste half-smiled, "Perhaps the real tale will help me understand what I've actually become."

--------

Cethlenn continued to drift in the Underworld, rather aimlessly one would have assumed, but the winds did tend to control the main direction of travel. This particular wind was slowly but surely drawing her closer to Lyambo. This wind was known to most denizens as the Guiding Wind, simply because it 'guided' souls/spirits to a safe haven, no matter where they first appear.

Of course, Cethlenn's nature made Lyambo a dangerous place... her insanity and the violence that accompanied it meant that the gates were sealed against her entry.

Lifaen snorted and shook her head from side-to-side. She flared her own wings for a moment before reeling herself in and backing away from the younger Guardian a little. 'If the humans want to come, let them come. We will lead her to the elders,' she replied, almost sickened at the idea of tampering with a human, even if only memories.

She leaned down so that her face was level with the little human. She sniffed the air experimentally again, just to make sure that the odd smell was really coming from her, before flicking her tail and nosing the human gently. 'Come with me little one,' she said. With that, she turned to face the elders cavern and walked towards it.

Amun's eyebrow raised. Well, she'd taken that fairly well. All the better then, at least she wasn't unintelligent. It only made it easier for him to explain the situation to her. He strummed a few more notes on his harp before beginning again. "The nocturnes, I'm sure you've heard of those too," he said.

"You may remember seeing a dragon before you died, or at least some part of a dragon. Magical creatures, they can use their magic to bring the dying back to life, but when they do.... We become this," he says, gesturing down at himself. As if to make a point, he briefly set the harp aside and unbuttoned a few buttons on his shirt. He briefly pulled back the fabric to reveal a massive bruise on his chest before he covered it again.

"Three years later, I've still got that. Don't expect yours to go away either, just do your best to hide it. And don't ask me why the dragons chose to save us; sometimes I wonder about the people they chose for this..." he muttered, snorting and shaking his head. He still couldn't understand why his roommate had been chosen to be a Nightwalker, of all people. "Doesn't really matter why you were chosen I suppose. You just have to live with it."

Feeling a bit light headed, Scarlet obeyed quietly. What other choice did she have? She crossed her fingers hoping for some kind of luck to be put onto her. Hopefully not bad luck, but she had a feeling that was the kind of luck that was enclosing her... mostly.

Celeste nodded slightly at the mention of Nocturnes, "Just a draconic face... with red eyes - I guess that was the Nocturne that 'saved' me..." She saw Amun's bruise and raised her own eyebrow. "Three years? That looks more like a three week old bruise to me... of course, I don't have any medical knowledge as such." She lowered her gaze to her own wound, "At least chest wounds can be hidden under clothing. I guess that's the only good thing about that."

Lifaen was moments from entering the elder's cavern when someone suddenly blocked her path. The dragon was even bigger than her, at a staggering 20'. She flared her wings and showed her teeth, growling and trying to intimidate them elder dragon our of her way. She recognized him from earlier, the elder who had endlessly prodded her into collecting herbs at the foot of the mountain. If she was going to ask someone what the human was, she didn't want it to be R'xan. Of all the elders around, he might be the most stuck on the rules.

R'xan snorted at her display, not intimidated in the least, which only made her feel more indignant. Her snarls turned into a massive roar that shook the cavern. Once the echoes of her display died down, R'xan bent his head down to meet Lifaen's eye. 'Do you come in challenge? If so, you do not have the intelligence to lead,' he growled.

'No, now move aside,' Lifaen replied.

'No, now state your pur....' he began, pausing halfway through. His nostrils flared suddenly and he flared his wings. With surprising ease, he batted Lifaen aside to confirm what he was smelling. When he saw the human, his lips curled back over his teeth and he growled angrily. 'What is your purpose for bringing this here?' he asked them both at once.

Amun muttered to himself and shook his head. Yes, they were much easier to hide. He'd had plenty of people point out the bruise over his eye that never faded. However, he claimed it was just a birthmark. Some people believed him, others didn't, but it's the best excuse he could think up.

"You'll need to find a new shirt. That one kind of sticks out with the bloodstain," he said, looking over at her and frowning.

"Not that you chose... this, but you should know it's not an easy existence. You'll have to learn to hide, to not draw attention to yourself, to fade into the night. If you can't manage that, you might as well go hire someone to make you a gravemarker. I know people who can help you, but I guess I should ask if you want the help. Of course, if you take it you'll have to remember we have rules and you'll be expected to help others in the future."