im0rtal

why do some people always need to be right?

i've been observing my friend and one in perticular always needs to be right. as i looked closer i relized i didn't like being wrong either, and all my friends are the same. is it just human conditioning that we are this way or do some people just have this problem?

and please if possible please ~Removed~ my eggs. i just started and it would be a great help smile.gif

//PLEASE_READ_THE_RULES_BEFORE_ATTEMPTING_TO_POST_YOUR_EGGSl

~Eggspam Removed~

Edited by _Z_

When people are forced to admit they are incorrect, it opens up the prospect of their other views and opinions being wrong. When that happens, the fragile foundations of reality that hold someone's sanity together begin the crumble, making them question the very aspects of reality, self perception, and their every day lives. This can lead to severe depressive states, self doubt, and skewed imagery of the world around them, spiraling into further destructive qualities such as isolation, delusions, and alienation from modern society. As the mind continues to question its very thoughts and motives, unable to provide answers because of the prospect of being wrong, it deteriorates from the paradoxical nature of life, the fact that there is no right or wrong, that life itself is set up for failure, that perception of the human mind is as fallible as a blind man's opinion of the sky, eventually collapsing upon itself causing ruin to the mind, spreading until the eventual collapse of society...

Hah, I kid. I have no idea. People are just silly.

^

You actually might be right. Greatly exaggerating, but right. xd.png

Being right gives you a sense of security, like "Okay, I know what I'm doing. I'm all set." At least, it does for me. Like during Math at school (random example) I feel kind of sick (not really, but kinda) because I'm not good at math, so I don't feel comfortable because I get a lot wrong (been getting better though, yay me! x3).

Its just how we are. We aren't very comfortable being wrong but everyone is always right in different ways.

Some people always feel the need to be right so they can feel better about themselves. xd.png Like a few people I know in class, they drive me insane! dry.gif

I like being right for the simple reason that I like being right. :U

It also has kind of a "showoff" feeling too, I think - if you're right, you just showed off, in a way, that you knew something. And let's face it we all kind of like that feeling of superiority that comes with being right sometimes. tongue.gif

If someone actually has a serious issue with not being right I'd start thinking it was more of a superiority complex type of thing.

I dunno... My Mum's like that, though; she has to have the last word all the time, and will get into a real mood if you prove her wrong. Nothing she doesn't like or approve of is allowed and what she doesn't know- especially about archaeology and early hominid studies- isn't knowledge. She used to get into a strop with Dad when he said anything that she disagreed with, even if the information she was defending was outdated, and wasn't happy when Grandpa got his archaeology degree- she wasn't the only one with a university education in the family any more...

Unfortunately, I have inherited her last word tendencies, but fortunately without most of the sulking when I'm (factually) wrong.

Edited by Ruins

I know this from experience...(part of it being that my sign is Taurus..)..sometimes these things come naturally, for me It just slips out a lot. But deep inside you feel accomplished when you really are right, as for when your not you don't . Simple as pie I guess..

as one of these people who can't stand to know they're wrong, i can say that i'm not entirely sure why i have this need, not want, to be right. the idea of being wrong in a subject i'd think i'm well-educated on frightens me to no end. ` n`

however, i suppose it gives me a sense of security, knowing i am correct and accurate. or maybe it's just the satisfaction, or maybe a superiority kind of thing, where my knowledge is superior than those i may be disagreeing with. and superiority leads to pride, and pride leads to happiness.

but it's different for everyone, and everyone wants to be right, just some more than others.

Some people don't nessicarily(sp?) LOVE to be right, but HATE being wrong. It makes them feel insecure and just plain stupid. Myself for example wink.gif I don't activaly seek to be right all the time because I don't like being wrong... It's the other side of the spectrum I think..

It's not that I need to always be right. It's just that I am always right. tongue.gif

It's just human nature. Some people are better natured about it than others, of course.

You're right.

No wait - I'm right biggrin.gif

Can we all be right about being right?

I think you have to be wrong about that.

It's because the people who are always right are trying to fix and correct the misconceptions and misunderstandings that others believe to be truth. They're trying to educate others.

Edited by The Dragon Keeper

It's because the people who are always right are trying to fix and correct the misconceptions and misunderstandings that others believe to be truth. They're trying to educate others.

No it isn't biggrin.gif

I know this, because I am right, QED. xd.png.

Well for me (and I apologize if this sounds really arrogant), I usually am right. I usually don't try to correct people, but if it's something I feel strongly about, I will. I have this weird thing about not showing weakness, and being wrong is weak. So even though I may accept I'm wrong sometimes, you'll never hear me say it out loud. tongue.gif

No it isn't biggrin.gif

I know this, because I am right, QED. xd.png.

Actually, this would probably make an entertaining forum game, am I right?

What Nine said probably holds some truth to it. People want to be right because sometimes we are afraid of being wrong.

I imagine people don't believe in things because they think they are wrong. If you think your beliefs are right, you're going to argue in defense of them and not take it very well if it appears someone has proven you wrong, especially if the belief is near and dear to you.

And then on more shallow right-or-wrong matters--getting proven wrong tends to make a person look stupid. And nobody likes to look stupid. smile.gif

I imagine people don't believe in things because they think they are wrong. If you think your beliefs are right, you're going to argue in defense of them and not take it very well if it appears someone has proven you wrong, especially if the belief is near and dear to you.

And then on more shallow right-or-wrong matters--getting proven wrong tends to make a person look stupid. And nobody likes to look stupid. smile.gif

True, but some people still have that underlying fear they might be wrong, and so cling to their truths even harder or maybe exploring outside their truths.

Actually, this would probably make an entertaining forum game, am I right?

What Nine said probably holds some truth to it. People want to be right because sometimes we are afraid of being wrong.

I am not afraid of being wrong. That is a fact. I just never AM biggrin.gif

This discussion is fun to read. xd.png

I've been told that I'm like this. I even have a t-shirt that says "I'm always right. Just accept it."

Well I know why. It's called Ego. tongue.gif

And Mr. Ego likes to be pampered, fed and inflated as well as one who makes a person want to feel superior. When a person is 'right' and the others are 'wrong' the one person feels like they are one step ahead of other people and, therefore, Mr. Ego is most happy.

Because they are right. /shot

It helps them to feel better about themselves.