Fire-Ice

Freedom Hills: A Mustang RP

Winter stopped to catch his breath. Where am I? he wondered, looking around at the unfamiliar landscape uncertainly. His ears were pinned back in fear and sweat ran down his body. Terrible images of his mother fighting back the wild dogs flashed through his mind, making him shiver. "Mom? Mom!" he called, looking back in the direction in which he thought he came. The dogs' barking had faded away; Winter had galloped far. "Mom... where are you?" His call echoed through the valley, but there was no response. Winter hadn't witnessed it, but his mother was dead.

Find a herd to protect you, dearest, I'll be fine. Now RUN! Her last words echoed through his mind as Winter walked on. "I will, Mom. I'll live a herd horse's life and when I grow up I'll tell you all bout it!" His walking turned to trotting as he wandered through the grass in search of other horses. The ground was nice and level on the plateau, speeding up his journey. The grass changed to rock and dirt, making his hoofbeats echo across the flat land. "Where is the herd?" he asked to himself, galloping along the rocky ground.

((Tonto herd people can find him or I'll eventually find them myself :3))

Edited by UmbreWulf

A long, satisfied yawn drew from the dark muzzle of a tall stallion as he blinked up at the sky. The sunlight was warm and cast a brilliant, golden sheen across the horse's body, as if he were hammered out of a piece of solid gold. The strands of his milky-white mane fluttered about his thick neck, and with a brief toss of his head, he adjusted the long forelock that had previously draped over his eyes.

Willow's herd was certainly moving about. There was talk of an injured mare somewhere, but several of the horses had already taken off in that direction, and at that point Sundancer had a feeling he'd be more in the way than he would be of any help. Instead, he swung his face, adorned with an ivory stripe from his forehead to his nose, in the direction of their leader. She seemed bothered by something, and so with a cheerful hum the palomino stallion strolled leisurely over to the preoccupied mare.

"Good morning there, Willow," he greeted kindly, reaching out with his dark-grey muzzle to touch her shoulder affectionately, as most horses would to close friends. Sundancer was a rather friendly fellow and addressed most of the others in similar ways in terms of greetings and interactions. He gave his tail a casual swish before bobbing his head in the direction that seemed to capture the lead mare's interest. "Something I can do for you today?"

Willow:

Willow saw Sundancer approaching from the corner of her eyes and became relived. She needed someone cheerful and friendly right now. When he reached her, she assumed an authoritative stance and replied, "Good Morning to you too Sundancer." She tried her best to stay calm while he greeted her, but when he asked if he could do anything she gave in. "Oh Sundancer! It's a tragedy! While I was out looking for that injured mare, Sequoia and Casi have disappeared! My own foal, gone! I'm a horrible mother! What am I supposed to do!?" She almost collapsed with exhaustion, but managed to stay on her feet.

Tonto:

Tonto paused and flicked his ears back and forth. He thought he heard hoof steps from one of the nearby plateaus. "Hold on a second please Fortune, I need to check something out." Tonto galloped across the plateou purposely staying on grass, so his hoof steps would not be heard. Soon the hoofbeats became louder. He skidded to a stop behind a tree and saw a lone stallion galloping towards his herd. His herd! Tonto came out from behind the tree and reared. He galloped out and intercepted the stallion. "Who are you? What are you doing here? This is my herd!" Tonto looked the horse up and down, before realizing he was very young, too young to have a herd. Instantly he felt terrible, "I'm so sorry! I thought you were coming to challenge me! Where are your parents?"

Sundancer's curved ears swung toward Willow in surprise. Though he could tell something was troubling the lead mare, he hadn't quite expected such an...outburst. However, he did understand Willow's fright over losing track over her foal. He, himself, experienced similar pains when he was younger. But that was a story long hidden away from the others, and he remained calm and composed as Willow appeared in danger of falling over.

He moved closer to her to offer his support, and lightly touched her neck with his muzzle in reassurance. "Don't work yourself up so much, my dear," he said gently, snorting softly against her skin for comfort. "Fillies and colts are always disappearing for brief moments, it's their nature. I'm sure Sequoia has Casi safe and sound. But, if you wish me to, I'd be more than happy to go out and look for them." He bobbed his head to assure her he was true in his offer, and then lifted his muzzle upwards to scent at the wind with wide, flared nostrils. He couldn't smell anything dangerous on the thin breeze at all, and so felt no need to be alarmed as Willow was.

He glanced around, his dark, earth-brown eyes scouring the hills for signs of their missing companions. "If you know which direction they headed off in, I will go track them down and bring them back for you."

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Winter pinned his ears back as Tonto came into his sight. He was so much bigger! Winter started to back away slowly. Take his herd? I don't want that horse's herd! He considered fleeing until the horse realized that Winter wasn't nearly old enough and calmed down. "I never met my dad," he said. "And my mom... I don't know where she is..." He looked down and pawed the ground absently, not knowing what else to say. Oh yes, my name. "My name is... Winter." His dark eyes revealed his sadness as once again all memories of his mom flooded in. Winter shook his head and looked up at Tonto. "Do you have a herd?"

Fortune watched as Tonto galloped off towards a bunch of trees. She knew he had heard something, she could see it in his worried face. Now, being young and shy, Fortune was scared. She looked around and saw no one else was awake. She decided to follow Tonto because she did not want to be alone. She set off to follow as fast as she could go, which was a slow trot for an adult horse.

As Fortune drew nearer to the trees, she slowed down a bit, not wanting to run into a tree. Fortune still did not have very good balance. She hid behind a big tree. Fortune slowly peeked around the tree trunk, and saw Tonto talking with a foal not much older then her. Fortune gasped with surpise, as she had never met someone around her own age before. However, she had to admit that she was a bit jealous of that horse. He may have been scared, but at leaast he had the courage to talk to Tonto. That was something she could never find the courage to do. She never managed more than a nod or a shake or her head.

Edited by natcar9

Just then, the new horse turned and saw her.

( That's considered powerplaying... I think you should leave that part out :I )

((It's okay, I'll just pretend it's not there. Basically, you made Winter do something I never wrote about, that's called powerplaying. It's okay, I know you haven't been RPing very long. Just be a bit more careful in the future. :3))

Winter's ear twitched as he heard sounds coming from the bushes. Must be some animal. Maybe it's a... what's it called? Oh yes, a deer. They are sorta like horses. I mean they have hooves and ears and long legs and stuff. Eh, it doesn't matter. They never bothered me or my mom before. They just run away. Wonder why; we never tried to hurt them. Huh. Well... I've never seen a real deer up really close. I want to go look at this one! "Excuse me, sir," said Winter, bowing his head a little and breaking into a trot around him towards the trees. "Is the deer still here?" he mumbled to himself, looking around the trees. He finally saw a large tree and decided that the deer had to be behind that one! Finally! A deer! Winter peeked his head around the tree and withdrew when he saw it was just a horse. Wait! A horse? His head shot back around and he just stared at Fortune.

Rain's ears drooped as the butterfly went off in another direction. Oh well! she though before galloping off towards where the herd was. When she got there, she noticed that some horses were missing. "Where is everybody?" she asked to no one in particular. ((remember that Rain.is in Willow's herd))

((Oh didn't know that the role-play started ages ago >.<))

Wildfire flicked his long, black mane to the other side of his face, swatting away one of the flies. He watched the 36 years old man place a halter on him carelessly and dumped the leather saddle onto his strongly built back. The man tied them onto him properly and tied on the long, old lead rope around the halter. "Let's go riding, hey good old mate?" he grinned at the black horse and stoke it's short mane and held his other hand around the lead rope. Tugging it gentlely to tell Wildfire to move. The black horse obeyed and followed it's master outside of the barn. "You know what to do, good ol' lassie? We will be looking for those horse herbs that been seen around here. You know how to do these things, don't cha?"

Wildfire flicked his short, silky mane. Showing that he understand him.

((Sorry about the power playing Umbrey. I din't know that's what it was. I took it out.))

Fortune overheard this strange new horse talk about a deer to Tonto. Fortune didn't like deer. She thought they were scary because they just pranced around like nothing bad could ever happen. But then again, Fortune thought that anything that moved was scary. She looked around for the deer and didn't see one. "Oh," Fortune thought to herself,"They must be talking about me." Fortune back up so that the tree hid her. Fortune looked down on the ground to make sure she wasn't standing on anything that could hurt her hooves. When she looked up, the new horse was staring at her in shock. However, Fortune was staring in fear.

((Still feel really bad about the power playing. Also, I picked deer to be a god in Social Studies today. For people other than UmbreWulf that read this, that was an inside joke.))

((*Grab's natcar's shoulders and shakes her* Italicized text is thoughts! And don't sweat the powerplaying thing, it was an accident. :3 Social studies inside jokes, lol. I picked a horse, actually, since Bastet was already the cat goddess. xd.png Wow, this got REALLY off topic REALLY fast. *Hands gun*))

Winter withdrew his head and flicked his ear at Tonto. "I think we have an, er... visitor." He gestured to Fortune with his head. He looked back around. "Are.. are you scared, horse? I really don't wanna hurt you." He walked around the tree until he was standing face-to-face with Fortune. "You lost too? Or do you know him?" He flicked his ear in Tonto's general direction. His tail swished back and forth in agitation. He didn't know this mare at all and couldn't think of anything else to say.

Tonto:

"Nice to meet you Winter, and yes I do have a herd. You can follow me if you want. I really need to get back, there is someone waiting back where my herd is stationed." Tonto started to gallop off, after a few seconds he realized the horse was not following him. When he neared the foal he was talking about deer, "What deer? I don't see any deer." he said scanning the trees. Tonto was still looking for the seer when Winter said something about a visitor. "You found the deer?!" He trotted over and looked where Winter indicated, "Fortune?! What are you doing here? I thought you were back at the plateau. Did you follow me? Winter, I would like you to meet Fortune, she is the youngest mare in our herd. Fortune this is Winter."

Willow:

"I'll try not to Sundancer. Thanks so much for your help. I have no idea what direction they went. They could be anywhere!" This thought started another breakdown and she exclaimed again, "I'm a horrible mother! I don't even know what direction they went!" Just then she noticed Rain was nearby and she almost instantaneously became her original authoritative self. She trotted over to Rain and replied, "Hello Rain! There is a injured mare out there and some of the horses went to bring her back here." She made sure she did not mention that Sequoia and Casi were missing.

"An injured mare?" Rain repeated. "Gosh, I hope she's okay..." shesaid in a worried tone. Anything out here big enough to injure a full grown mare could eaisly kill her. Rain shook away the thought. She was safe here, and nothing would harm her while with the herd. Apart from he humans of course...

Sundancer listened with ears pressed forward. As the kind horse that he was, he was genuinely interested in the missing duo, but the calm that he exuded wasn't about to be breached by Willow's fretting. Instead, he smiled softly and touched her flank again in another gesture of reassurance. As she finished speaking, his deep, bellowing laughter filled his lungs and he gave his head a small shake, sending his long ivory mane slapping against his neck.

"Calm, dear!" He said, following after the mare as she approached a young filly. He dipped his head to Rain gently and lipped affectionately at her forelock before turning to look at Willow again. "Do not fret, dear Willow. You have a herd to run. I'll be back for you know it," he said with a wink, tossing his head cheerfully. "And for the record, you are a brilliant mother. A bit restless, of course. But don't you worry, now." Chuckling softly to himself, he touched Rain once more on the brow before turning around and pushing himself into a lope down the hillside. Sunlight glinted off his coat in a bright, glossy sheen as he circled around the herd's morning dwelling , dark nose lowered to scent for traces of the filly's and mare's scent.

He had circled around a few times before noticing a faint trail of Casi's scent leading up one of the hills. Snorting with satisfaction, the palomino stallion trotted powerfully over the crest of the hill before turning and glancing back at Willow. After an acknowledging flick of his white tail, the stallion disappeared down the other side of the hill at a gallop.

The direction was a bit haphazardous and he found himself winding in several directions many times in order to stay on Casi's trail. Eventually he could smell Sequoia blending into the wind, and snorted with satisfaction upon knowing that his hunch was correct. Once the hills began to level out and he could see the glimmer of the lake water, Sundancer settled himself into a comfortable canter and lifted his nose to the breeze again. "Casi!" He whinnied, throwing his deep, gruff voice to the wind so that it would hopefully be carried to her young ears. "Sequoia!"

"Hello... Fortune," he said, his shyness kicking in. "And yes, I would like to follow you to your herd." Winter looked at Tonto appreciatively and started to stretch his legs. He wasn't really sure how far away the herd was and after walking all day he was tired. But the promise of a herd to protect him kept Winter awake and on his feet. His black and white mane glistened with sweat, proof of his journey. "I'm ready to go, sir. Please lead the way."

Wildfire felt the weight crashed into his black and watched his master pulled himself up into his sadle. The 36 year old man paused for a while to catch his breath and then he kicked hard on the sides of his back. Wildfire letted out a loud neigh, stomping his hoof and cantered off like a bullet being shot by a gun, zooming past the opened gates and cantered into the forset. It wasn't long before his master pulled onto his brown reins and the horse pulled to a steady stop. Wildfire lisened to the man whistling lowly and and kicked again. This time the jet black horse gone into a trot along the path, he could feel the jerk on the left side of his reins and took them off the track, into the dark forset. The shadows of the trees kneel over, reaching them like as if they were some demon trying to snatch children or a dragon trying to reach and grab its jewels. Wildfire was used to the darkness and the creepy sounds. He did a small jump over a log in their path and carried on trotting around. He felt his master pull a hard jerk on the reins, hurting Wildfire's mouth a little.

"Look over there, lassie," he whispered to his horse. Wildfire looked at where his master was pointing and in a long distance, there was a small herb of horses. Wildfire couldn't see why it was so exciting for his master. He sees horses everyday so why would this be any different? "Hello? Anyone coby me?" his master was talking on the walkie talkie. "Yep. We found a herb of horses. Our location? We are....yeah, thats the place. We will head back home now."

Aww, seriously? I want to stay longer, Wildfire complained to himself in his thoughts. Obeying his master's tugs, he moved further and further away from the herb....on his way back home...

((They were looking at Tonto's herb :3))

Edited by Tiffashy

Rain blinked thankfully at Sundancer's reassurance. Sometimes that's all a filly needed. Her ears swung to the right at the sound of a bird chirping an alarm. She tensed and put all attention to the area where the bird was chriping frantically. "What the..." she began, but her question was answered when a stray cat came out of the bushes with a dead mouse. She nickered and said, You scared me! I thought you were a wolf or something!" The cat looked up and blinked. "Sorry to scare you, but a cat's gotta eat."

Edited by Moonbeam22

Fortune was still staring at the new horse, Winter, as she now knew his name. She heard Tonto introduce her and looked at the ground shyly. Oh no! Now I am scared of another horse. Why am I scared of everyone? Fortune thought to herself. She looked up and saw it was almost time to walk back to the herd. Fortune was happy at that, she hated meeting new horses. All it ment was another person to be shy towards. Fortune started getting ready to walk back. Winter seems to have been walking a long time. He's practicly shining with sweat. Fortune thought to herself again.

"Polaris."Aaron repeated her name. The name wasn't too strange. It wasn't too plain. It seemed go fit the mare just right. A small grin appered and disappeared. "Aaron. The names Aaron." He said in one breath. "I thought I was the only loner in this area..." He said mostly to himself. He refused to fall asleep just yet. "What brought over here?" Aaron asked, but he doubted he was going to get much more info from Polaris. A faint breeze rippled through his mane and tickled his nose ever so slightly. He squinted from the rays of sunlight.

((I think now will be a good time to bring my other character into the RP ))

Zuri was glad to be a member on Tonto's herd. Though she sometimes didn't agree with Tonto, she trusted him all the same. Zuri shyly inched closer to the possible new herd member and whispered a "Welcome."

Edited by Drakelina

Tonto:

Tonto took off cantering and soon had arrived back at the plateau. When he arrived he noticed Zuri was up. She said a welcome to Winter and then Tonto turned to her and said his typical greeting of, good morning. After that he turned back to Winter. "This is our herd, you may join us if you wish. If so feel free to get comfortable." Just then Tonto saw movement by one of the trees. "Hold on." he told the group. Cautiously he cantered over to the trees. He looked into the forest but did not see anything. He still felt like there was something watching him but he couldn't see anything. "It's just my imagination." He told himself. He cantered back to the group and said, "It was nothing just my imagination." But inside he had the feeling that humans were spying on them.

Zuri took note of Tonto's alertness, and her eyes followed him to the trees. Zuri got all nervous and froze into her place. As soon as Tonto said the coast was clear was when she relaxed and turned her attention back to Winter. "I can show you around if you like." She smiled.

Edited by Drakelina

Winter smiled a bit. "That would be nice, thank you. And thank you for letting me join your herd, Tonto." Maybe life wasn't so bad after all. He shook his black and white mane then trotted over to Zuri. "So... waht's it like to live in a herd?" he asked curiously.