Vincent Bowman

Gauges and wierd looks

Additionally, I heard it through the grapevine that those holes in your earlobes smell terrible if you ever took the gauges out.

All earring smell funny unless they're kept squeaky-clean just like erryone else said ^^ I have 16 and 14 gauge horseshoe barbells that were easy to take out at night and clean. I've lost the ends to all but one of them though and I loved them until the ends started coming off and disappearing. I rapidly discovered captive rings were a bad idea though.

Personally, I see nothing fashionable or 'trendy' about gauges. I equate them to the tattoos you get when you're twenty, thinking 'this is so awesome'--they're the tattoos you usually regret by the time you're twenty-five.

Settled on my first design at 16, got it done at 18, had it two and a half years and no regrets yet ^^ Of course, it was a design I made myself that's kind of like a simplified hidden pictures game, so it took work and planning just to make the thing.

Edited by dragon_mando

First off, they are not called "gauges."

You stretch your ears, and the jewelry that goes in them are called plugs, or tunnels.

By using the term "gauges" makes you sound extremely unintelligent, because gauges are used for measuring things.

Here is a ~Removed for graphic images~ that will help you with this information.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

A word can mean more than one thing, ya know. It appears the accepted vernacular would be "gauges" as an overall category for this type of jewelry. The jewelry themselves may have their distinct names also.

I've always heard them referred to as "gauges".

"Gauges" is slang, maybe jargon, for these items, based on the gauge wire used. Still, just because it's slang doesn't mean that's what they are really called, nor that everyone will know what's being discussed. Obviously, from this thread! Furthermore, this type of jewelry is anything but new or modern, so calling all of it by a modern term seems a bit off.

Accepted vernacular can be dead wrong. In this case, it's not wrong, just a little bit confusing for some.

Not saying it's absolutely right. But generally with accepted vernacular, the majority understand what is being talked about. Doesn't have to do with anything about being the right word. As long as the idea is put across, I don't really see the big deal about fussing over a word. :v

Stuffs gets more modern terms all the time, either through slang or just evolution of words themselves. I don't get how this has to be any different.

I'd actually heard the term 'gauges' before. Back when I was in school the people I hung around talked about them. I just never understood what they were talking about.

I never heard them use the terms 'plugs' or 'tunnels' though.

I've heard all of em. The accepted name currently is gauges or gages, at least in the hardcore scene I've been involved in to some extent. Nothing at all wrong with calling them such, although plugs is just as correct.

On the subject of tattoos...

Personally, I see nothing fashionable or 'trendy' about gauges. I equate them to the tattoos you get when you're twenty, thinking 'this is so awesome'--they're the tattoos you usually regret by the time you're twenty-five.

I dislike that hasty generalization that any tattoos you get when you're ~20 will be regretted. I'm designing my own, and I plan on getting one as a chest or back piece once I'm at college. There's nothing wrong with that, and not everyone regrets theirs. My grandfather has ONE tattoo he got in Vietnam, pretty tasteful, on his forearm. It still looks good even though he's 70+. Not EVERYONE regrets tattoos.

Stuffs gets more modern terms all the time, either through slang or just evolution of words themselves. I don't get how this has to be any different.

Well, mostly just because this is by no stretch of the word a "gauge", yet it's the same type of jewelry. The world is a big, old place. That's all I've got to say on the matter.

And condoms aren't rainboots, yet they're both called rubbers. c:

Bahahahahahahaha xd.png That just made my day ^.^

Actually, no, they aren't, not in all the world (I'd certainly never heard any kind of boots called "rubbers"), which is pretty well demonstrates my point : )

Not EVERYONE regrets tattoos.

And I never said EVERY tattoo would turn out to be something you would regret. But I didn't really word my post right, so I can see where it could be taken the wrong way. I apologize.

Actually, no, they aren't, not in all the world (I'd certainly never heard any kind of boots called "rubbers"), which is pretty well demonstrates my point : )

And not everyone calls these "gauges", but that doesn't mean it can't be called that. c:

I didn't mean sound so harsh, it just really bugs me when people use "gauges"

Makes me think of these.

Sorry if it bugs you. I have gotten used to calling them gauges because that's with my friends with gauges call them. Just easier for everyone to know what you're referencing nowadays. =P

I always call mine tunnels because you can look right trough my earlobes biggrin.gif

Here's a picture of my right ear

I have 0 gauge tunnels (or plugs because I also have some jewellery that you can't look through) and no one really seems to notice them and if they are they aren't bothered by them. Sometimes when I wear my hair in a ponytail some of my co-workers say something about them (when I wear tunnels) and they freak out a little bit when I take them out and stick my finger through my lobe tongue.gif

Stretching your earlobes or any other piercing is just something that the western culture has taken over from the African tribes, because they have been doing it for centuries! Just like tattoos are almost as old as mankind itself.

Edited by JessicaGhost

I like your tunnels :3

I like Organics personally and plan on getting Some bone ones soon. In Texas though its weird because I had TONS of friends with gauges like a year ago and now everyone acts like im some strange person for having them lol X3

Do you think 00 gauges would warrant people staring at me like im a serial killer everywhere i go? Its just makes me wonder

No, but not knowing censorkip.gif about stretching your ears does warrant that.

Jesus christ.

And to everyone else who posted, you're all being made fun of on this website.

~Inappropriate link removed~

And they know what they're talking about. wink.gif

Edit by kiffren: Edited for censor evasion.

How?

It's just a bunch of pictures of terrible piercings and tattoos.

Yes, kle, someone already brought up the point that 'gauge' is not the correct term for that type of modification. There is no need to beat a dead horse over something that was mentioned on the previous page, where it is still easy to see.

And they know what they're talking about. wink.gif

Not really, given I don't have any body modifications.

I want to hop in here and remind people not to be rude.

How?

It's just a bunch of pictures of terrible piercings and tattoos.

They have a post specifically dedicated to this thread.

They have a post specifically dedicated to this thread.

Really? Where? I didn't see it.