Vincent Bowman

Gauges and wierd looks

Do you think 00 gauges would warrant people staring at me like im a serial killer everywhere i go? Its just makes me wonder

If you mean the railway tracks then no, you will simply be considered weird carrying a few of those around with you.

If you mean the earrings than although society is a little more accepting, it'll still count against you subconsciously if you went to job interviews or wanted to be taken seriously. Which is annoying and unfortunate.

It's a growing fashion to be honest. whether it's considered weird or not, well, I personally have come to just accept them. My main concern is what will happen when it's no longer fashionable to wear them, and people are just left with hugely space lobes.

I think they look a bit strange, and I can't help but look, but honestly, if that's what you want to wear that's just fine by me--I find them more a curiosity when I see people wearing them than something weird in a bad way.

Personally I don't find them attractive at all, but hey, it's your choice. It is hard to not take a second look though, I don't see many people with them around here.

If you mean the railway tracks then no, you will simply be considered weird carrying a few of those around with you.

LOL. This just made my day. Thank you. x3

~

I've got craploads of friends with all sizes of gauges (earrings, lol), so I only stare st them ( ;P ), but that doesn't mean others won't stare at you, however you interpret their stare. Doesn't mean they should, but unfortunately, they will.

Do you think 00 gauges would warrant people staring at me like im a serial killer everywhere i go? Its just makes me wonder

Wouldn't warrant staring like that, no. Some offhand second looks seem all together warranted, though. Many people wear such things to express themselves, so it seems unusual that they are concerned when others fail to ignore them.

D'you know railway tracks was actualy my first thought as well. It wasn't until reading some of the replies here that I realised you *weren't* talking about carrying around model trains...

I sort of like em actually. They look better on some people than others, but reasonably sized ones are pretty sweet. But yeah, they usually do warrant some stares. Some people honestly don't know what to think about them. I was hanging out with a band at IHOP after a show, and the waitresses had honestly never seen gauges before and were really curious about the guys gauges. So sometimes it's curiosity, not rudeness.

They're getting to be more and more accepted and as long as you don't go bigger than a 0 they'll shrink back completely when they go out of fashion, but I don't know about 00

I think it depends the smaller ones that don't deform the ear lobe too much aren't too bad in my opinion, however I personnally don't like the bigger ones and i think these are more likely to be stared at.

LOL. This just made my day. Thank you. x3

Welcome :~D

You shouldn't be surprised if you get those looks. I mean, your lobes have ginormous holes in them.

I like the look of them, but I wear much smaller ones so I don't get looks at all.

First off, thanks for replying,

and ya i see your point. Some people like em, It's just im smackdad in the whitest, most preppy place on earth. I just HATE getting wierd looks i always feel like im really retarted or crazy and i just don't know it. Blah.

I love you, Kestra. Love you until my very death. laugh.gif

Anyway, most people around here don't get stares until about 10 mm, and anything above 15 mm gets stares constantly.

Edited by canobiecrazy

A serial killer? No, people probably wouldn't think that. Serial killers tend to look completely normal.

Ho ho, what backhanded comment!

^ O.O Wow. I admit, I'd find that little distracting. Though then I'd try to find key chains to hang off his ears. Is it weird that's kind of the first though I had about it?

I feel so out of touch with all things 'hip' and 'cool'. I had to look up what a gauge is. And I'm only 20 years old!

If they're not too big I wouldn't see them drawing too much attention. Though naturally the more obvious your 'abnormal' fashions are the more people will gawk.

I got bullied my senior year of high school because of a wiccan pentacle necklace I wore. But at that point I just stopped caring what other people thought! biggrin.gif I say embrace what other people find weird! If it makes them uncomfortable it puts a smile on my face! Embrace who you are!

Now that I think about it, I don't think a single necklace I wore to school didn't get me teased by the bullies in my art class. Even the Bleach anime necklace I had warranted whispers, pointing, and insulting jeers. They'll be bothered by anything. It's kinda funny, actually...

Edited by TwilitProphet

I don't like the really big ones, but I do like the way of how some of the gauge styles look. I'm not up to date on the lingo of the gauge world, and I just started last week. I'm hoping to size up soon, but I got my pair from a friend who had an extra. I think she said they were 14s, but I'm not sure. Anyways, I tried up size up last night, but the ones that she said were the next size I couldn't even get half way through my ear. So... I'm hoping there's a middle size that I should go get, or that if I leave the starters in a little longer, it'll be a bit easier to fit the next ones in. The starters didn't hurt at all for me, but that other pair, my god...

I don't plan on going very big. Definitely not big enough to stick a pencil through, I like the smaller gauges.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Personally, I see nothing fashionable or 'trendy' about gauges. I equate them to the tattoos you get when you're twenty, thinking 'this is so awesome'--they're the tattoos you usually regret by the time you're twenty-five.

Additionally, I heard it through the grapevine that those holes in your earlobes smell terrible if you ever took the gauges out.

Only if you don't clean them or your gauges. It's not much different than any other piercing if you take care of the hole properly. ^^ Besides, who really goes around sniffing earlobes? |D

Personally, I see nothing fashionable or 'trendy' about gauges. I equate them to the tattoos you get when you're twenty, thinking 'this is so awesome'--they're the tattoos you usually regret by the time you're twenty-five.

Additionally, I heard it through the grapevine that those holes in your earlobes smell terrible if you ever took the gauges out.

Unless you stretch your ear lobes to the point of no return, it's not at all like a tattoo because it can shrink back easily. If it doesn't, you can get very minor surgery to get them fixed.

One of my plugs fell out a while ago and when I found it a couple days later I couldn't get it back in. Now both of the holes are completely shrunken and I'm back to wearing sparkly little studs.

Also, ALL piercing holes smell funky no matter the size. Dead skin cells get trapped in there. Have you ever taken a whiff of your earrings before, even tiny studs? It smells like a dirty belly button.

Edited by Syaoransbear

I try to keep my earrings nice and clean with rubbing alcohol. If I don't clean the metal before I put new earrings in, it's very easy for the holes to become infected. I wasn't sure if you could take gauges out or not, though.

My aunt does piercings in a boutique, and she's gotten some rather strange requests before. Some people have asked her to pierce those flaps of cartilage over their ear opening, those 'peninsula' places. Another client asked my aunt to put a stud directly inside her ear, but she couldn't do it because the cartilage was too thick.

My Health teacher from my freshman high school year had that "peninsula" piercing. She also had a tramp stamp x)

So, my mom said it was immature of me to want to get a matching tattoo with her at some point, even though she and my other mom have matching tattoos from their anniversary. Is it wrong of me to want something like that(with both moms, of course)? :/ I thought that was kind of hypocritical of her to say. Sure, I'm 18 and young, but I don't think I could regret getting a tattoo that was special to me and my parents, especially if it was rather small and innocent.