MendezLightning

Castle Hydra: Next Generation

((*Headdesk* Sorry.))

"That's what you always say, and it usually means 'panic'," Aza said sharply. She folded her arms and stared at the computer chip accusingly. Jared chuckled a little at that, but the sound was oddly forced. Rather painful, in fact.

"Honestly, I'm not interested in either. Do I have to chose between the two?" Jared paused, hoping he hadn't offended Kenan by saying that. "And is there anything I could do to help Arachne? I feel terrible for her."

You could... Take her place I suppose. But I cannot just eliminate you like a common human. You realize I made you immortal so you could potentially take over for me when I die...? I trust you Jared. He sighed and was quiet.

What you really could do is be a companion for Arachne. She has led a harsh life and has been stepped on so many times she doesn't even value herself. She really just needs a friend. But... If you really want to just be ended... I could lock you in conOblivion. It is literally nothing. A hole, a void that nearly erases all impact of whomever is locked in. It is quite literally nothing. Those who are locked in there usually find peace even more settling than those have described to me in death.

He smiled at Aza. "You're silly."

Aza sat down beside him and twirled a strand of his hair. "I'm not silly. I'm worried," she mumbled. She hugged his neck gently and wondered what conversation she wasn't hearing.

"I suppose....I suppose I'll take her place then. It's my fault she's there in the first place anyway. Maybe after it's over I'll consider the void, but for now I might as well make myself useful," Jared said quietly. There was an odd sense of acceptance of despair in his tone. It was the voice of someone who had given up. Completely and utterly surrendered to what would happen next. It was thoroughly depressing. "What do I have to do to take her place? Should I go find the Fates?"

He leaned into her and just purred. "They will be here shortly. I put in a request." Kenan said out loud. "Jared has chosen to become a fate in Arachne's place. If they even accept him. Loyalty is preferred over slavery..." He hugged her as best he could and smiled. "Why are you being so friendly?"

"Obviously to gain your trust before cruelly stabbing you in the back and taking over your kingdom. Curse my sudden but inevitable betrayal," Aza said sarcastically, kissing the top of his head. "What? I'm not allowed to be nice?" She hid her guilt and sorrow for Jared as best she could. The shadows in the rooms danced as lively as crackling flames. She was quiet for a while, lost in thought. In her silence, she looked almost sad. "I can remember all of them now. Every life I've lived. That's probably the only thing I got out of his whole kidnapping mess. I think I'm actually waaaaay too old for you now," she said, a tint of humor in her last sentence. It faded, and she pulled away from him. "I know they aren't really me as I am now, but I lived their lives. I loved with them and lost with them and I have caused so much pain with them. I know I'm hardly the most moral person, but looking back on what they, no, I did...My God. I'm not just cruel sometimes, I'm outright evil," Aza broke off and lapsed back into silence, quickly wiping away a stray tear. She blinked rapidly and shook her head. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't whine about it like this."

He simply held her closer even though she tried to pull away. "I know I'll never fully unerstand... But I'm probably the only one who is even close. I was fused with death, just as every one of my icky ancestors. I have their memories..." He kissed her cheek. "I'm still sorry. Nothing can ease loss." He rested his head on her shoulder. "And I look way older than you, so I suppose that mad us bout even, right?"

"As long as people don't mistake me for your daughter or something," Aza said lightly, smiling at him. She curled up against his chest, feeling extremely glad he was there. He was safe and comforting against all the insanity of the world. Snuggled against him, it was very tempting to just go straight to sleep. She would have allowed herself to sleep if she wasn't so terrified that she'd wake up a different person. She had changed so much today, and that frightened her. What if she opened her eyes as blank and emotionless as before? She looked at Kenan questioningly, shaking her head to keep herself awake. "What are we suppose to do now?"

He put a hand in her hair and began combing it with his fingers, seeming quite content. "Whatever you wish." He smiled a little, slightly wavering, but still a smile. "You are tired. You could sleep, if you wanted. If you don't we can just keep talking. Or you could hold the child." He shrugged, and with a small flicker soft music was playing. He never even got to listen to anything anymore. "I just..." Suddenly he held her closer, and pressed his face up to hers and held her tight. Then he let go again. "S-sorry. I don't know what came over me..."

Edited by lycrawaterz14

((Gah! So sorry! Life got in the way and I got a concussion.))

"It's alright. I rather liked it," Aza said cheerfully, stroking his cheek with a hand. "Was it the music? Where is it coming from?" She pulled away from him and stood, listening intently. It sounded vaguely familiar, but she couldn't quite place it. Slowly, she sat back down next to him. She could investigate later, and she was too drowsy to keep her eyes open for much longer anyway. Aza curled up against Kenan, allowing her eyes to drift shut. "I love you," she mumbled sleepily.

Jared couldn't help but flinch a little at those words. Three insignificant words that nevertheless could make him splinter into a thousand sharp edged pieces. He didn't say anything or make any other noise. He simply turned away and continued waiting. Whatever the Fates wanted him to do, it was surely better than what he was going through now.

(Holy crap are you okay?!)

"It's from a little rift. Like a portal, but thinner. Can't interact with the other side. Like looking through a porthole." He explained the music and cradled her close. When she said she loved him his heart jumped to his throat and he smiled again. "I love you too." He purred.

A fate stepped into the room and Kenan jerked his head up and glared, not letting Aza feel the movement. It just stuck it's tongue out at him. Fates didn't have any pupils and it looked just plain strange. He fought the urge to defend and simply watched the thing tap Jared's shoulder. "Do you want to never hurt again?" It asked, twisting it's head. "No more dumb emotions. Just logic. Like it should be." A grin spread across its face. "Would you hush." Kenan growled. "She might hear." It snapped its head at him. "She is tired she will not mind. You should reevaluate your aggression. Especially in the predicament you're in."

Jared turned to face the Fate, but then paused. He whirled around to look at Kenan questioningly. "Wait a moment, what predicament? Kenan, what weren't you telling Aza? She's going to be furious if you're in trouble and you didn't say anything." He didn't bother to question how a Fate could touch him when he was really nothing more than electrical impulses in Kenan's brain. He supposed he had seen enough impossible things already that the best course of action at the moment was to accept it and move on. He watched absentmindedly as Aza stirred slightly but drifted off again without opening her eyes.

"Aza is not following her fate. She is way outside her lines of fate. She is destined to die. She is destined to rot, actually. More in a figurative sense of course. Kenan's altering things. Don't worry. Soon you can realign similar grievances in the timeline. Correct little mistakes. Unfortunately. Kenan gets a pass this time..." It snickered. "Why do you two play in this form? I am unaccustomed to it. All of this... Impulsivity." It snorted.

Kenan tucked Aza as close as he could without utterly crushing her. "You have overstayed your welcome." He grumbled.

"I'm in this form because at some point I died and I downloaded my consciousness into a computer matrix using a neurotr-Actually, that doesn't matter. What were you saying about her rotting again?" Jared asked, seeming rather alarmed. Aza seemed to have been awakened by the bear hug and blinked sleepily. A shadow slipped through the door and came back with a few mugs of tea. Aza took one and sipped on it, seeming a bit more alert now. The shadow glided over to the Fate and offered it tea as well. "Hi. Did I sleep through anything important? Who are you, by the way?" she asked, seeming completely oblivious to Kenan's dislike of the Fate. She assumed that Kenan was being overprotective as usual. She smiled a little as she took another sip of her tea. It was quite endearing.

"We are just arguing. He was just leaving." He growled at the fate. "Such a shame our contract says I am forbidden to tell the two of you. Perhaps you should inquire of Kenan. He is the one keeping secrets here. Have you even told her about Elise?" It smirked. Kenan nearly kept into a rage again. He had to hold Aza. "Don't you ever speak her name!" He sounded like he may cry. "Aza, please, no more questions. They are a spoiling lot of creatures. They-" "Really we're more of a cosmic sort of peace keeper. Karma, destiny, fates and the like. Hence the name. Would you like to see your life string?" It seemed polite now. Kenan snarled. "NO! Leave now! You have claimed Jared." He hissed, accidentally giving him away. The fate smiled. "Now. I can." The fate held out a hand to the Jared file.

Aza seemed frightened by all the shouting and commotion. She darted away from Kenan, now a mere silhouette on the wall. Her shadow looked around the room anxiously. "What's going on? What secrets? Why shouldn't I see my life string? And what does Jared have to do with any of this?" She wasn't keen to let the subject drop, turning from one person to the next and demanding an answer from all of them. She flinched a little when she left the calm, hollowness threaten a return and decided she'd concentrate on her confusion and her fear. She didn't it understand whatever was being kept from her nor why it was being kept from her, but she did know that there was something wrong. A few shadows appeared, tense as rubber bands right before they snapped.

"Jared. You ought to go now." Kenan grumbled. He didn't want to send Jared away, but every time Jared was around something went wrong.

"Aza... Come here. I will tell you." He sighed, closing his eyes for a few moments. He didn't know why. It just seemed to help sometimes.

Jared looked like he might protest, but looks at Aza and stops. He sighs and nods, rising to follow the Fate. Aza looks around the room as if she expects Jared to pop out of the walls. She takes a step towards Kenan, although the shadows are still poised to lash out and take off someone's head. She remains a silhouette, not feeling safe in the room. Her shadow turns when he addresses her, and she hesitantly steps off the wall. She tiptoes around spilt tea and broken glass. For a moment she looks like she's about to dart into his arms, but she stops. Instead she just sits down next to him. "Answers, please?"

He jerkily moved his arms around, until he bumped into her. "Aza... My people... Aren't fond of me at the moment. They fear I will betray them over you. They don't understand that I'm trying to save you. They think I'm serving you. They really want me to choose another." He took her hand. "I don't want to choose another. I really love you. But I also... Really loved another girl once. They are trying to raise her and make her a fate. The fates have remained apathetic to their requests. I fear my people may try to hurt you.

Edited by lycrawaterz14