MendezLightning

Castle Hydra: Next Generation

"I cannot give you back either Aza or Kerria as they were. You should have arrived earlier had that been what you desired. I can give you back what is in between, but you must be responsible for that. I do expect to have my daughter back to normal, or I will resume," Arlex said tonelessly. "And, Adrian?" Adrian looked at him, and nodded. "Do not test me again." There was a gust of cold and and the sound of wings flapping, and Arlex was gone. Kerria slowly stumbled out of the palace, wobbly and unsure. She was in a white dress and barefoot. Her eyes didn't focus on anything, sweeping over the scene like nothing was there. Adrian ran up to her and reached for her shoulder. He abruptly recoiled as he noticed something. There was a complete and utter lack of any emotion. She wasn't hiding it. It was merely absent. No rage, bloodlust, joy, sorrow. Nothing at all. It felt unnatural and dead. Like an old bone worn smooth by the elements.

"Kerria?" She blinked, but her eyes swept past Adrian like he wasn't there. She didn't answer for so long that Adrian opened his mouth again to repeat his question.

"No."

"Aza?"

"No."

"Who are you?"

"I am no one."

"Well whoever you are needs to rest. Let's get you out of here." Kenan cooed, and walked beside her. "Do you want to go to my realm or somewhere in yours...?" He asked softly, not wanting to freak her out. She was already pretty messed up... Three mind altering states in a couple of days? Poor girl was probably exhausted, physically and mentally.

Kerria didn't seem to notice the question or even Kenan's presence. She turned her gaze to the endless, empty abyss below them. Something seemed to click into place behind her empty eyes. She took a step forward unsteadily, like a fawn taking its first steps. She broke into a run, heading towards the edge of the floating island. "You are not capable of flight, in case you're wondering!" Adrian called, a shadow firmly pulling her back. She froze immediately.

"Let me go."

"Not if you plan on jumping off."

"Let me go."

"Oh, just come." Kerria didn't turn around, still standing not far from the edge. She slipped away from the shadow and teetered on the edge for a moment. She fell like a bird with a broken wing, tumbling into the abyss carelessly. "For the love of- does she never stop? There she goes again! Swan diving into trouble! What is wrong with her? Does she have to practice to cause so much chaos?" Adrian seethed, marching off the edge after her. He continued to walk vertically on nothing, complaining loudly the whole while. He didn't seem to notice he was blatantly defying the laws of physics.

Kenan tried to figure out what was happening, because he honestly had no clue. "Where did she go?" He whimpered. He was so tired of having to save her! He just wanted his Aza. Just the one girl he had followed around mindlessly for forty years. Could he just have those days back? If he had not made her choose he wouldn't be in this mess.

And Aza would be here. It was his fault.

Adrian half dragged someone on to the floating island again. "We're back. She just went to rescue this bloke. Not sure why. I've never seen this guy before. She won't say who it is. She won't say anything in fact. Whatever, can we leave now? Before she decides she's left someone else behind?" he asked. Kerria leapt on to the island with the grace of a deer. She still looked as blank as before, but she took Kenan's arm and clung to it. She stared straight ahead without acknowledging his presence in any other way. "I guess that means she still likes you. In a hollow-shell-creepy-emotionless way. Oh well. It's something, right?" The person he was practically carrying moaned quietly, starting to stir.

"A-Adrian?" He asked, holding her side and taking her hand. "Perhaps it would be best... If I nursed her back alone. I mean no harm to you or any of her family, but she's broken. It would be best for the both of us if we were left in peace... Just for a few days. That will be weeks in my realm... Until she is herself. I don't want to risk her tainting or hurting herself any more than nessesary..." He looked apologetic to him. "She may heal... And be safe. I'll take her to the deepest part of my realm, where no one can enter unless I know..."

"Yeah, sure. You two crazy kids go and have fun and leave me with the mostly dead guy," Adrian said grumpily, dropping the person he was carrying. The man blinked like an owl that had been thrown into the noonday sun. "Oh. Okay. Uh....Clover?" he asked, his gaze on Kerria. He looked at her like he was surprised she existed.

"She is dead."

"Then who are you?"

"I am no one."

"...Do you remember me?"

"Michael, the archangel."

"Did you know Clover?"

"I was Clover. She died."

"Who are you now?"

"I am no one." Michael looked taken aback at the utter deadness with which she spoke. Slowly he rose and then nodded, trying to wrap his head around whatever had happened.

"I need to return to the Heavenly Host. I'll drop by as soon as I can." He was gone before Adrian could start his own barrage of questions. He turned on Kerria instead.

"Would you like to explain yourself?" he snapped.

"No."

Edited by frostmourne

"There is no need to explain herself." Kenan grumpily defended her. "Let's go then... Is there anything you need?" He put a hand around her waist, about to teleport her out for some time, and dropping her in that distance would be a nightmare...

Kerria said nothing, once again still and silent as a statue. "An explanation is what I need." Adrian sounded irate, and crossed his arms. He opened his briefcase and handed Kerria the computer chip necklace that she had lost at some point. "He's still in there, waiting for you. Try to remember." Kerria looked at it blankly until Adrian huffed and slipped it around her neck. She continued to look at it without emotion. It was like she was a very well made doll. Adrian rolled his eyes and complained some more, but nodded at Kenan that it was fine to teleport her away. Kerria didn't move as the computer chip sank its thin needles into her skin. There was nothing to indicate she was in pain, although blood trickled down to dye her white dress. She could see Jared standing next to her with a faintly puzzled expression. He only existed in her head, as the data from the chip, but he was very much alive and sentient.

Kenan huffed and teleported her to his realm he spoke of. The while place had the stuffiness of an airtight room, and was very obviously locked. It was one giant open room, with living amenities inside, and many, many books. "I am sorry about all of that." He mumbled, and led her over near a bed. "Do you need rest? Or food? I'll be taking care of you here for a while... Just for a bit..." He looked at her for a long time. "What am I to call you? I've known you as a couple names now... And you'be told me your past ones."

"I require nothing. Who would you like me to be?" she said emotionlessly, her eyes focused on him, yet distant. They were mostly vacant, with perhaps a trace of unhappiness. Jared watched her carefully, wondering what exactly her father had done to her. It was as if someone had taken her, wiped her clean, and then began to write something before they were interrupted. He paced around her, circling her like he was looking for something wrong. It bother him that he no li her had a physical form. While the pain of his illness wasn't there, he was able to speak with Kenan. He only existed as a few lines of code on a chip. Aza wasn't paying any attention to him, but he had expected that reaction. She was as hollow as when he had first met her.

He took her hand. "That's not what I asked. I just need something to call you by. I can keep referring to you by compliments, if that's what you'd like." He smirked.

She gripped his hand tightly, as if she were afraid he wasn't real and might vanish if she closed her eyes. She stared at him humorlessly, unable to even smile back. "I do not prefer anything." Despite the clipped tone, something stirred inside her. It wasn't quite true and she knew it. After all, she certainly preferred him. Having her entire personality scrubbed and bleached hadn't changed that. She was quiet for a long while and it seemed like she wouldn't respond. "Then call me Aza," she said at a whisper, as if uncertain whether it would prove to be true. She had been so many people. Could she really be just Aza again? She clung to that hope, because living so many people's lives meant she no longer knew which life was her own. She was Aza. She tried to anchor that thought in her mind.

"If you ever wish to change that, just say the word." He squeezed her hand back, smiling a bit. "Is there anything you would like? To eat or drink or anything?" It was often forgotten to him that Aza needed nourishment. He had no need now for it...

"You've asked me three times already. My answer remains the same, no," Aza said quietly, the slightest hint of amusement in her voice. She closed her eyes, trying to dredge up her memories. It was like trying to drag a car out of thick mud with nothing but her hands. Perhaps a different viewpoint would be helpful. "Could you....could you tell me about myself? I remember everything, but I don't know how to feel towards it." Hesitantly, she rested her head on his shoulder. She relaxed, some of the stiff blankness gone. His presence was a comfort.

"Just making sure... Sorry." He held her shoulders as she leaned against him. "Well... Hm. You're definitely the most interesting person I've ever met, that's for sure. You're intelligent, and have been taught well by Jared, and... You at one point had feelings for him. I don't know where you stand now, but... I made you choose between him and I. I regret it... But I do believe that you love me. But..." He shook his head. "Sorry I'm so bad at this. I don't know why I asked you to do this for me when I died." He sighed and started over. "You were born to Arlex, and I don't know exactly who your mother is. You've never spoken about her for any extended point of time. You were mostly raised by Jared and Adrian, your cousin. I believe you remember him... He said he was your guardian though, that whatever was inside you he was supposed to kill in intervals... And I don't know any more about that. Just that there is a horrid thing inside you that killed you when you were my Aza... I wasn't watching you well enough and Thantos kidnapped you for ransom for his son. And I didn't have time to go through with it. That thing killed you and you became some other person... Kerria? And apparently at some point you were Clover? And other people... All I know is that I've loved you for more than forty years now... And we were to be married. I don't know if you still want that. I don't care. I'm still going to take care of you, alright? Oh... Do you remember me at all? I'm Kenan... I was a reaper, but my dad was Death and now I'be taken his title and throne. Whenever Jared died I made him one of us and granted him safety. But he hasn't been properly trained and my... Assistant Judeao can't find him. I have no clue where he is..." He turned his head toward her. "Is there anything you remember?"

"I remember everything. I just wanted to know how you remembered it." Aza opened her eyes and blinked a few times. "Clover. I remember her too. Very gentle. She made angels and demons fall at her feet. Kerria. You would have been better off with her. She was kind. They're all dead now. I can only live one life at a time." She pulled the necklace off, gently easing out the delicate, glassy needles. They snapped back into the computer chip neatly, and the mental image of Jared frizzed and faded. "He's here and also in the computer system back home. He wants to speak with you." She handed the thin crystalline chip to him. A little of her blood still clung to the needles. The minuscule puncture wounds they made had already healed. The thought that she could never apologize enough for what she had done and was still doing to him cut into her like a knife. What did he want to say to Kenan? He had said nothing to her. He had only watched with all the sorrow in the world glistening in those dark green eyes.

((Sorry!))

The needles abruptly shot out, piercing skin and muscle to find nerves. Gradually, an image of Jared appeared. He looked much like as he had when he died. Heartbroken and in pain. He looked like he was sitting on a chair, but it was only an illusion. He stood up and unfolded his thin arms, looking at Kenan placidly.

"Well, it's certainly been a while," he said politely. "How has Arachne been keeping?" There was nothing about his tone or posture of suggest anger to accusal. Just a deep, aching sadness that had dogged him his entire life and even in death refused to loosen its grip. He hadn't wanted heaven or hell. He hasn't wanted to be a ghost or a reaper or whatever other ghoulies haunted the world. He hadn't wanted an afterlife. He wanted oblivion. He wanted it all to end and Aza and Kenan to get their happily ever after. He was tired.

"No idea. She sacrificed herself to the fates after she learned that you and Judeao were to be killed for not fulfilling your duties. They were angry I had granted you immortality. She has two hundred years of service." Kenyan shrugged. "Your voice sounds weird."

(I just got worried, it was on page 5 or 6 before I bumped it.)

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Jared frowned, upset by the news. He hadn't given much thought to what the consequences might be when he slipped into the computer system. "That is regrettable, but they were right. You shouldn't have granted me immortality. I certainly didn't want it." Jared paced over to Aza, making noise only audible to Kenan. It was only to let him know where he was. He knelt down beside Aza, who was focused on Kenan's reactions because she couldn't see of hear what was going on. He reached out and brushed her cheek tenderly. His fingers went right through her. He only existed in Kenan's head right now. He turned away and rose again. There were too many conflicting emotions towards her. There was pain and anger and hatred and fear and confusion, but there was also love. That was the only constant and the root of all his problems. "Damn my heart," he mumbled softly.

You shouldn't say that. Kenan went ahead and flipped over to telepathy so as not to frighten Aza. Sorry if I'm too loud. I am not used to this. I do transmit to the chip, you can hear me, right? he shook his head and sighed. You should have been with her. I should have just left her be and married Arachne like I was supposed to. I'm sorry I tore the both of you... All three of you if we are referring to Arachne... Apart. I shouldn't have messed with the fates. And I'm sorry. You were never meant to die like this. He looked like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. Why did you want to speak with me?

Jared smiled bitterly, looking back at Aza. "She was happy, and that was all I asked. I was always going to die like this, and where would that have left her? I should be glad she has you, but in this, I cannot." He shook his head and sighed. "I'd like to know what is expected of me now. Since I have not simply ceased to exist as I had hoped, I do not plan to sulk for the rest of my existence."

Aza watched Kenan intently, irritated she wasn't able to hear either side of the conversation. She was glad for the irritation though. It meant she was starting to regain some feeling, even if it wasn't a positive one. She stood and paced the room, the light dimming as she did. Jared watched her, smirking a little. Still the little spitfire then.

Well... Hm. Are you still interested in being of service on my side of the life cycle? Or the other...? Kenan smirked. "Aza, we're just having a conversation. Nothing to worry about."