twin card

Which came first egg or chicken?

actually weren't chickens evolutions from dinosaurs....?

Birds may have evolved from dinosaurs, yes, but they also were domesticated. The domestic chicken was bred from a wild species of galliforme, which likely was descended from the (ornithiscian) dinosaurs.

Wooo, science.

No jokes about KFD, please?

"I think the answer is that a circle has no beginning."

Quoted from Harry Potter. Yes, it wins again.

You beat me to it! I saw this topic and entered JUST to post this!!

I agree.

I thought about this question often.

I think the egg was first. Like others say, the chicken is domesticated from wild birds. So the egg was first.

Umm lets see, you need 2 chickens to lay at least one eggs right? Because tere needs to be one male and one female, so um...I don't know which came first it is confusing xd.png

Umm lets see, you need 2 chickens to lay at least one eggs right? Because tere needs to be one male and one female, so um...I don't know which came first it is confusing xd.png

also this means that in order for the chickens to survive at least two eggs were needed one male, the other female.

also this would make any of the present chickens horribly inbred...

and vice versa

This.

Ummmmmm I say chickens came first cause it takes 1 rooster and 1 hen to get at least 1 egg cause if it all started with 1 egg 1 hen or 1 rooster can't make 1 egg. The hen needs the roosters sperm to make the chick start growing inside the egg and as we all know roosters don't lay eggs because well it's just plain and simple it's impossible. So therefor chickens came first. (If you don't agree with me thats fine we all have our believes and dis-believes) But how 'eggzactly' did two chickens apear without an egg? Well heres my answer to that how did Adem and Eve apear with no mother and no father? If your thinking what I'm thinking both of us are thinking God decided we need chickens just like how he decided we need people so Adam, Eve, rooster, and hen were all started by God. (That took me forever to come up with!) (I tried really hard to come up with an logical answer for this stuff so if you don't agree tough luck thats how I see it and thats how I always will see it and once again if you don't agree with me thats fine I see it this way and you don't theres not a problem with that we were all made different.)

Actual chickens? Yes, the egg came first, and evolution/creation has nothing to do with it. Chickens were bred from wild birds, so at some point along the domestication a chicken egg was laid.

Actually it depends on how you look at it. While the egg hatched chicken it was laid by the wild bird so you can say the chicken was first and that the egg it hatched from was that of the wild bird.

It is a POV question.

I personally think that the egg was not a chicken egg but the egg of the wild bird that just happened to hatch chicken. So chickens came first.

I revised my view after reading this thread.

I have to say the chicken came first. With some mystical thing called "evolution" a chicken was produced and it laid eggs and multiplied.

Actually it depends on how you look at it. While the egg hatched chicken it was laid by the wild bird so you can say the chicken was first and that the egg it hatched from was that of the wild bird.

It is a POV question.

I personally think that the egg was not a chicken egg but the egg of the wild bird that just happened to hatch chicken. So chickens came first.

But if it wasn't a chicken's egg, how could it be a chicken? It couldn't be a chicken-ish egg, because it would only produce a chicken-ish creature. If a chicken- an honest to god chicken- hatches from an egg, then the egg would have been a chicken egg.

The egg would come first- even if it was only by the few weeks it took to hatch into the first chicken.

But if it wasn't a chicken's egg, how could it be a chicken? It couldn't be a chicken-ish egg, because it would only produce a chicken-ish creature. If a chicken- an honest to god chicken- hatches from an egg, then the egg would have been a chicken egg.

The egg would come first- even if it was only by the few weeks it took to hatch into the first chicken.

But until it hatches chicken the egg is not a chicken egg but of the animal before it was domesticated. The egg came from that animal even if the egg hatched into the chicken.

I say the "chicken" came first, if we define "chicken" as the first animal that laid eggs. But because not everyone uses that definition, I'll be a little more explicit.

Before the chicken, there was another animal, maybe a turtle or something that evolved into a chicken, and before that, maybe the fish evolved into a turtle, I don't know. But in any case, in the very beginning, there were these unicellular bacteria things, and they did not lay eggs. They reproduced by binary fission.

The earliest species did not lay eggs. Eventually, there was a member of a preexisting species that had a mutation: the ability to lay eggs. This individual's came from a non-laying species, so its parents did not lay eggs. It was not hatched from an egg. But it had a mutation that allowed it to lay eggs. So the individual with the egg-laying ability existed without coming from an egg, and then it began to lay eggs. Therefore, the animal came before the egg.

Egg.

Simple.

Like.

It's the egg. Something happened to some eggs, and they were mutated to be come chickens, instead of whatever type of animal laid them.

I was thinking of posting that and then I saw your post. And yes, Harry Potter always wins. biggrin.gif

So this. X3

It's one of the universe's many mysteries that I believe will remain unsolved. But may perhaps become clear to us someday~

I think the egg came first, there were many egg laying animals way before chickens evolved like dinosaurs. But if we're talking specifically about chicken eggs the neither came first, they both would have had to of evolved at the same time, probably from something very different from what we have today.

It would have to be an egg. two eggs actually. because one would have to a rooster, and one would have to be a hen.

The egg.

1) Reptiles, fish and insects were laying eggs long before before birds existed.

2) If we could follow the evolutionary path of the chicken all the way back to the very first chicken, whatever laid that chicken's egg was not a chicken. Very close to being one, but not.

The chicken.

But that's just me.

A chicken not randomly appear without hatching from an egg. By way of evolution, a chicken egg (one that hatches into a chicken) can appear from a non-chicken parent.