mirielowm

The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings is an amazing movie. I love it. I wonder if anyone else does?

I adore LOTR I feel bad that I have not yet read the book for them yet. But I always love Legolas and Gimli always going out during battles

Legolas is mine, bro. >////<

When I was little I tried to draw Shelub. I saw this one vid on Youtube where they took audio from Leeroy Jenkins, and played it with Lord of the Rings, when they where at the Blaack Gates.

"I announce you the Fellowship of the Ring."

"Great! Where're we goin'" God, Mary and Pipen are so F-ing funny!

I used to watch it, overwatch it, when I was younger. It was my favorite movie, and now it's my favorite book.

I like Tolkien's representation of elves, and how it's still used in video games and books.

As I love the movie, I'd much rather reread it.

For me, the movies were awesome when they came out but nowadays I would struggle through them. They were pretty but, as annoying as it sounds, they didn't quite capture the depth of the books and after reading them I was disappointed that the movies almost completely cut out the mythology bits (beyond the making of the rings of power). No Silmarillion references... ;__;

I love the movies. Peter Jackson did a great job.

But as others already mentioned, the movies will NEVER reach the epicness of the books.

For me, the movies were awesome when they came out but nowadays I would struggle through them. They were pretty but, as annoying as it sounds, they didn't quite capture the depth of the books and after reading them I was disappointed that the movies almost completely cut out the mythology bits (beyond the making of the rings of power). No Silmarillion references... ;__;

I think the reason they cut out so much of the deeper explanations and explorations of Middle-Earth is that the films are action flicks and were being promoted as such. I know my uncle hated that (from his point of view) the movies were mostly talking and too few action sequences. He had a right proper rant about it. He also was very confused by the "boring" ending of the films. Folks like that are the ones the companies that fund films and the crew making it are busy trying to get to watch the movies, so they aren't looking to entertain the Tolkien diehards.

That said, the films are pretty epic. The production was well done and I think they did a pretty good job on deciding what to alter in order to please a non-Tolkien-reading audience with a short attention span. The extended editions are twice as good as the theatrical versions, since they don't seem as rushed and crammed as well as featuring more backstory and character interaction/development.

The books are still better, but this is definitely one of my favourite film trilogies. Lord of the Rings in general is something I adore and I've actually been having a craving to watch it lately...but I'm used to the special extended editions so I dun wanna watch anything but xd.png

I'm a huge Tolkien fan ^^ Read all his books, of course seen Peter Jackson's lovely movie versions. Love it all ^^;

haha I just watched that movie TODAY and I have to say it was good. But does anyone else think that those kids are a little too yung to be cussing?! Well, that's acting. Well I'm a kid too but I'm just pointing that out xd.png

The books are better than the movies, but the movies are still really good. I'm a HUGE fan of anything Tolkien <3

I've got the LotR books, movies, posters, bookmarks, video games, and not to mention I've grabbed some awesome LotR names for my dragons :]

I adore it! the actors are amazing smile.gif and there are so beautiful landscapes in the movie.

but I still love the books a bit more.

I love both the books and the movies. I actually joined a LOTR marathon (extended version) on my birthday. It was pretty awesome biggrin.gif

I think the reason they cut out so much of the deeper explanations and explorations of Middle-Earth is that the films are action flicks and were being promoted as such. I know my uncle hated that (from his point of view) the movies were mostly talking and too few action sequences. He had a right proper rant about it. He also was very confused by the "boring" ending of the films. Folks like that are the ones the companies that fund films and the crew making it are busy trying to get to watch the movies, so they aren't looking to entertain the Tolkien diehards.

That said, the films are pretty epic. The production was well done and I think they did a pretty good job on deciding what to alter in order to please a non-Tolkien-reading audience with a short attention span. The extended editions are twice as good as the theatrical versions, since they don't seem as rushed and crammed as well as featuring more backstory and character interaction/development.

Very well said.

I read The hobbit when I was about 13, the trilogy a little later, and it's one of those things I just keep re-reading over and over again. By the time I saw the movies, I knew the book by heart.

I was was a bit scared to go see the first because I just knew they would probably cut a lot of the parts I cherish. Actually, I wasn't planning on seeing it at all, but a friend who is also a big fan of the books convinced my after he had seen it.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Though the overall atmosphere changed from epic story to 'fantasy action flick', most of the characters remained true to how Tolkien wrote them, and the amazing visuals added a bit of the epicness back.

In fact, the only time the movies disturb me is when I read the books again, and now 'see' the characters and locations as they were in the movies instead of how I used to imagine them to be...

I read The Hobbit when I was 11 - and the other books all done within one year.

Seen all movies too, they were pretty epic, but sometimes I miss parts from the book. (Like, in my head I can see the movie while I'm reading the book tongue.gif)

Still, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are pretty awesome happy.gif

I missed the history, though. I also read The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin, so I know enough about the history of Middle-Earth, yet this wasn't visible anywhere in the movies... it made me sad.

... Yeah, I'm a huge Tolkien fan too ... xd.png

Can't wait for the The Hobbit - movie! How about you?

Edited by LizzyTam

Oh man, that trilogy is so awesome! I love it. I watch the whole thing twice very year.

I am a huge fan of LOTR, this fall my boyfriend and myself are going to be cosplaying the witch king and a nazgul at NYC comic con/animefest ^^ my favourite character is the Balrogs of the olden lore.

I read The Hobbit when I was 11 - and the other books all done within one year.

Seen all movies too, they were pretty epic, but sometimes I miss parts from the book. (Like, in my head I can see the movie while I'm reading the book tongue.gif)

Still, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are pretty awesome happy.gif

I missed the history, though. I also read The Silmarillion and The Children of Hurin, so I know enough about the history of Middle-Earth, yet this wasn't visible anywhere in the movies... it made me sad.

... Yeah, I'm a huge Tolkien fan too ... xd.png

Can't wait for the The Hobbit - movie! How about you?

The silmarillion was amazing, and the children of huir was really heart-breaking but gave a wonderful look into the lore and history of the kingdoms.

I read The Hobbit when I was 11 and twice this year and the year before for book reports (which I didn't mind at all), though I do find it funny that I had to do a book report on the same book two years in a row xd.png

I read the Trilogy when I was 13, all in one year (more like half a year... actually) and still enjoy reading those and The Hobbit as well.

I convinced a few of my friends (who are not fantasy/scifi readers at all) to read the books, they loved 'em! Which is probably why I get bothered every Saturday to have a LoRT movie watch (where we watch all 3 in a day).... I don't mind, sometimes I let them barrow the three though so I can skip a week.

I'm sure we'll all be hooked on The Hobbit- The Movie too xd.png (and one more to add to Saturday's Must Watch NOW List lol)

I read The Hobbit when I was 11 and twice this year and the year before for book reports (which I didn't mind at all), though I do find it funny that I had to do a book report on the same book two years in a row xd.png

I read the Trilogy when I was 13, all in one year (more like half a year... actually) and still enjoy reading those and The Hobbit as well.

I convinced a few of my friends (who are not fantasy/scifi readers at all) to read the books, they loved 'em! Which is probably why I get bothered every Saturday to have a LoRT movie watch (where we watch all 3 in a day).... I don't mind, sometimes I let them barrow the three though so I can skip a week.

I'm sure we'll all be hooked on The Hobbit- The Movie too xd.png (and one more to add to Saturday's Must Watch NOW List lol)

Pure genius! I wish I could have done that with my friends but were just all over the country now from college.

Those movies are amazing. It's sort of a tradition in my family to watch them twice every year: once in winter, once in summer. I could probably quote the majority of the movie. I'm such a nerd. xd.png