mirielowm

The Lord of the Rings

Love the films, Love the books smile.gif

I agree The silmarillion was good! was a cool background story and sooooo interesting!

This is one of those very rare moments when I can't believe i'm going to say/write this, but ... I think the films were better than the books.

I think bits like Tom Bombadil (sp?) were edited out for a reason. That Character sucked and had not very much to do with the overall plot. I think a bit more of a deal could have been made of the dead kings etc. but on the whole .. the movies were great.

The little comedy elements were classic and much needed relief ..

"Toss me, just don't tell the Elf" xd.png

TD.x.

Edited by Twilightdreamer1979

The Lord of the Rings is hands down my favorite fantasy series and I loved the movie trilogy - it's my family's tradition to watch it during Christmas holidays (weird, I know tongue.gif). I'm very excited for the Hobbit, the trailers are looking mighty sweet. ^^

Oh, don't even get me started on LOTR. I love it so much. I haven't even finished the second part and I've never seen the movies!

All prepared to see The Hobbit opening night biggrin.gif I wasn't part of the fandom when the first three came out, so I'm super excited to join in on this. I absolutely adore the movies (not a big fan of the books, I only read Hobbit and 1/3 of Fellowship of the Ring).

And I'm glad they're splitting it into three movies. I now have something to look forward to in the movie world.

I'm going opening night as well! I'm so so excited, though I have a sinking feeling that it won't be as good as the LOTR movies. The Rottentomatoes rating is only about 73%, which really worries me (LOTR were 93-95%) sad.gif

Love LOTR! I read The Hobbit and the Trilogy in 6th grade on a whim, and ended up being a huge fan! I memorized Elvish songs and can speak a bit (just some select sentences). Then I saw the movies a few years later and I thought they were fantastic.

Can't wait until I get the chance to go see the Hobbit movie! My friend went on opening night and said it was great, then she went back the next day to rewatch it. laugh.gif

i can't wait to finish reading the hobbit, so then i can move onto lotr(it has all 6 books in it(it the big book edition thing).

I might try and get silmarillion

Edited by zorua9

I'm going opening night as well! I'm so so excited, though I have a sinking feeling that it won't be as good as the LOTR movies. The Rottentomatoes rating is only about 73%, which really worries me (LOTR were 93-95%) sad.gif

I was really worried as well, but I must say, it surpassed my expectations. I saw it on the premiere night/morning and just saw it yesterday again. I'm in love. biggrin.gif It definitely had a different feel to it, but then again, so did the Hobbit book compared to the other three (from what I read of them).

And the soundtrack. *drools and makes grabby hands*

Not disappointed in the slightest, and will be seeing it at least another couple times.

Loved The Hobbit! I liked how the soundtrack stayed true to the trilogy, and the little pieces that tied into the other movies. Such as, Frodo and Bilbo preparing for the party in the beginning, and putting the sign on the gate and such.

Fili and Kili are my favorite dwarves- they were my favs when I read the book, so I'm glad I liked them in the movie too. And the Eagles are awesome. Gwaihir rocks.

Now... I have to wait until 2014 for Part 2... sad.gif

Such as, Frodo and Bilbo preparing for the party in the beginning, and putting the sign on the gate and such.

Fili and Kili are my favorite dwarves- they were my favs when I read the book, so I'm glad I liked them in the movie too. And the Eagles are awesome. Gwaihir rocks.

Now... I have to wait until 2014 for Part 2... sad.gif

I really love Bilbo's remarks at that point biggrin.gif Especially the ones concerning Lobelia (silverware thief) - it was hilarious nod to the book and Bilbo's will.

Fili and Kill remind me of Pippin and Merry. Their faces when ponnies got stolon ftw.

Overall, I like the movie. It stayed true to the spirit of the book, and that's what's most important. I think most of the bad reviews come because people expected another epic like the trilogy. But the fact is, something like that was impossible. Hobbit is in it's essence a children's book.

The only thing I don't like are special effects - they looked much worse then those in original movies, and it was painfully easy to notice them. I know that is because of the new technology they used for filming, but still.

And congrats to the staff for Oscar nominations. Too bad they didn't get one for a soundtrack.

Overall, I like the movie. It stayed true to the spirit of the book, and that's what's most important. I think most of the bad reviews come because people expected another epic like the trilogy. But the fact is, something like that was impossible. Hobbit is in it's essence a children's book.

That's what's been peeving me about some of those reviews. Anyone who read the book would know that its tone compared to the other three books is very different. Much more like a children's book.

I will admit I was a bit iffy on the way the Shire looked though. It looked very different this time (I guess because of the new technology?), it reminded me more of an Alice in Wonderland setting than anything else. Too weirdly colorful.

And congrats to the staff for Oscar nominations. Too bad they didn't get one for a soundtrack.

I was hoping they'd get one for soundtrack too. sad.gif It was pure awesomeness. To be honest I don't even know what these award shows look for in soundtracks. When Social Network's score won over How To Train Your Dragon's, I lost all faith in the people who choose the winner. tongue.gif

I was hoping they'd get one for soundtrack too. sad.gif It was pure awesomeness. To be honest I don't even know what these award shows look for in soundtracks. When Social Network's score won over How To Train Your Dragon's, I lost all faith in the people who choose the winner. tongue.gif

Well to be honest, a lot of leitmotifs are from the trilogy's soundtrack (Shire theme is almost identical) and the original trilogy already won that award tongue.gif They probably didn't want to nominate something so similar.

I'm just hoping they'd bag the two awards they were nominated for (make-up and special effects). Though I think Life of Pi will take special effects. I mean they made an entire tiger and ocean.

I personally thought the film was pretty much perfect. Though that's because I am obsessive and they can practically do no wrong in my eyes. But my greatest peeve of all is, why the heck doesn't Peter Jackson explain that the Eagles aren't cab drivers? Everyone's now wondering why can't the Eagles take them to Mordor/Erebor.

Everyone's now wondering why can't the Eagles take them to Mordor/Erebor.

I mostly look at those people as trolls/joking, generally. Any book/movie-logic aside - really, there wouldn't be any books or movies if it just consisted of the eagles picking them up and dropping them off. We'd just get two hours or pretty scenery and that'd basically be it, lol. Not something a lot of people are going to sit through.

Oh, they do have a thorough explanation for the Eagles. smile.gif They're sentient creatures and very proud. They can hold intelligent conversations in fact, but they refuse to get involved in the affairs of men (and all other Middle Earth creatures for that matter). The only reason they would help Gandalf is because he saved their king from a poison arrow so now they're willing to help out if Gandalf really needs it.

Not to mention if they do ride Eagles into Mordor, the Nazguls will just hunt them from air and apparently Eagles can't out-maneuver them.

Ah, I just don't like it when the characters are in deep trouble and then they have a convenient savior who for no reason can't continue helping them/can't help them before. smile.gif

EDIT: AKJDLHSAFLKJHAFAL THe Hobbit didn't win a single award?! Why how what. I understand that Life of Pi won special effects (I mean that tiger alone should win it it's gorgeous) but they didn't win make up or best production? Why

Edited by Rosella Surmane

Oh, they do have a thorough explanation for the Eagles. smile.gif They're sentient creatures and very proud. They can hold intelligent conversations in fact, but they refuse to get involved in the affairs of men (and all other Middle Earth creatures for that matter). The only reason they would help Gandalf is because he saved their king from a poison arrow so now they're willing to help out if Gandalf really needs it.

Not to mention if they do ride Eagles into Mordor, the Nazguls will just hunt them from air and apparently Eagles can't out-maneuver  them.

I mostly look at those people as trolls/joking, generally. Any book/movie-logic aside - really, there wouldn't be any books or movies if it just consisted of the eagles picking them up and dropping them off. We'd just get two hours or pretty scenery and that'd basically be it, lol. Not something a lot of people are going to sit through.

*facepalms* I have tried to explain that to my mom SO MANY TIMES! I swear, I'm the only one in my family who understands LoTR. laugh.gif

I am a huge fan, both of the movies and the books.

I personally thought the film was pretty much perfect. Though that's because I am obsessive and they can practically do no wrong in my eyes. But my greatest peeve of all is, why the heck doesn't Peter Jackson explain that the Eagles aren't cab drivers? Everyone's now wondering why can't the Eagles take them to Mordor/Erebor.

"The Hobbit" movie (part one) is growing on me. At first I was a little disappointed in some of the embellishments to the original story. But now I see the two, the book and the movie, as linked, but not exactly the same. I no longer expect the movies to faithfully recreate the books.

I see what you mean about Jackson not explaining the Eagles. Some people will not have read the books, so won't know, so Jackson should have made it more clear.

poptartFINALTINY.gif

Edited by missy_

I got to see the last half of the first movie. I knew that Hobbits were small, but not that small. They're little and chubby, just like baby bunnies. I want a Hobbit

I got to see the last half of the first movie. I knew that Hobbits were small, but not that small. They're little and chubby, just like baby bunnies. I want a Hobbit

xd.png