Jump to content
chickenhound

Minecraft!

Recommended Posts

I tried to open my own server and it was actually not different with single player. Only difference was access from multiplayer tab. XD 

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, sh20000sh said:

I tried to open my own server and it was actually not different with single player. Only difference was access from multiplayer tab. XD 

Well....there is a difference. Servers allow anyone to play anywhere at anytime (if you keep the server running 24/7) and they have a feature called plugins that allow for you to add mod-like features to your server without having to download a mod client. The plugins are also not available in single player. 

Share this post


Link to post

Is it okay to talk about modded Minecraft? Because I've been enjoying the heck out of just two mods.

 

After like 10 years of viewing modding as some arcane thing that only the mod knowledgeable gamers could do I finally managed to mod my minecraft and learn that modding is stupidly easy...And that I was a moron for not trying it earlier. First I got the pixelmon mod but I didn't like it in the long run because it was way, way to grindy and kinda removed the original minecraft experience, so I moved onto two other mods that I really wanted

 

Biomes O plenty and Ice and Fire:dragons in a whole new light.

 

Biomes O plenty adds 50 or so new biomes to the world which is great because vanilla biomes are kinda...dull. The biomes range form realistic to fanciful which I really like because it gives you a ton of variety.

 

Ice and fire is easily the best tamed pet/dragons mod ever made.

Spoiler

MAejubz.png

pRh0rev.png

JnLf1FA.png

rgVUsWP.png

8Xv5qlW.png

OxgBJ0a.png

q3CDZAy.png

hDlHzDa.png

They only come in one body type because the mod author likes wyvern-esk dragons better but everything is really well made, nothing is slapped-together or token, everything feels like the folklore that made it and the dragons look amazing and grow as long as 24 blocks! And it's not just dragons, there's currently Stymphalian birds, gorgons, cyclops, giant bugs, sand worms, amphitheres, hippogryphs, trolls, pixies, cockatrice, and Sea Serpents in the mod! And there's more on the way like lightning dragons, wendigos, goblins, and werewolves (I didn't even list everything that has been previewed.

 

I've really been enjoying the mod, working up from dragon food to a dragon tamer has been really rewarding and the dragons are just so cool, I've built a little fortress on top of a biomes O plenty glacier and I wander the land on dragon back looking for cool stuff. My only issue with it is that it's kinda intense for my PC, however with graphical sacrifices and removing fire tick + the dragon's ability to destroy blocks it ran a lot more smoothly, though it made the game easier because I nerfed the dragons a bit.

 

 

I'm now looking at more fantasy mods to augment the experience, I really like atmospheric mods that exist to provide an experience/adventure rather than a simple utility, I kinda wish witchery was still around because it looked atmospheric as heccccc! I'm currently looking at twilight forest because it's just amazing to look at and recently made a comeback.

Image result for twilight forest mod"Just...wow.

And i'm also looking for¬†magical mods, I haven't found any I like yet ūüėē, wizardry looks okay though so I might look into it more.

Edited by blockEdragon

Share this post


Link to post

I've been playing Minecraft for a good while but I've only recently begun to mod the game, and I gotta say, modded Minecraft is a hundred times more interesting than vanilla. I'm starting out with just simple stuff, like new crafting recipes to give more uses to vanilla items, and some miscellaneous tweaks here and there.

I'm not really into building in this game, I much prefer the adventuring aspect of it. I'm a touch too impatient to start any major-scale construction projects unless I really need to.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, blockEdragon said:

Is it okay to talk about modded Minecraft? Because I've been enjoying the heck out of just two mods.

 

After like 10 years of viewing modding as some arcane thing that only the mod knowledgeable gamers could do I finally managed to mod my minecraft and learn that modding is stupidly easy...And that I was a moron for not trying it earlier. First I got the pixelmon mod but I didn't like it in the long run because it was way, way to grindy and kinda removed the original minecraft experience, so I moved onto two other mods that I really wanted

 

Biomes O plenty and Ice and Fire:dragons in a whole new light.

 

Biomes O plenty adds 50 or so new biomes to the world which is great because vanilla biomes are kinda...dull. The biomes range form realistic to fanciful which I really like because it gives you a ton of variety.

 

Ice and fire is easily the best tamed pet/dragons mod ever made.

  Reveal hidden contents

MAejubz.png

pRh0rev.png

JnLf1FA.png

rgVUsWP.png

8Xv5qlW.png

OxgBJ0a.png

q3CDZAy.png

hDlHzDa.png

They only come in one body type because the mod author likes wyvern-esk dragons better but everything is really well made, nothing is slapped-together or token, everything feels like the folklore that made it and the dragons look amazing and grow as long as 24 blocks! And it's not just dragons, there's currently Stymphalian birds, gorgons, cyclops, giant bugs, sand worms, amphitheres, hippogryphs, trolls, pixies, cockatrice, and Sea Serpents in the mod! And there's more on the way like lightning dragons, wendigos, goblins, and werewolves (I didn't even list everything that has been previewed.

 

I've really been enjoying the mod, working up from dragon food to a dragon tamer has been really rewarding and the dragons are just so cool, I've built a little fortress on top of a biomes O plenty glacier and I wander the land on dragon back looking for cool stuff. My only issue with it is that it's kinda intense for my PC, however with graphical sacrifices and removing fire tick + the dragon's ability to destroy blocks it ran a lot more smoothly, though it made the game easier because I nerfed the dragons a bit.

 

 

I'm now looking at more fantasy mods to augment the experience, I really like atmospheric mods that exist to provide an experience/adventure rather than a simple utility, I kinda wish witchery was still around because it looked atmospheric as heccccc! I'm currently looking at twilight forest because it's just amazing to look at and recently made a comeback.

*snip*

Oh, I love BoP! That and a couple of other mods that add biomes, trees, plants. I used to really like natura, but it has gone stale for me. I used to play a lot in 1.7.10 - with Biomes o' Plenty and Extra Biomes XXL for *some* extra biomes, Carpenter's Blocks (great utility for building, really!) and Malisi's Doors, Mr. Crayfish's Furniture Mod (best furniture mod out there, if you ask me. Yes, DecoCraft has more complex models, but, well, it's a bit buggy and can cause lag if overused), Bibliocraft (mostly for all its furniture...) not to mention Pam's Harvest Craft (all about farming and making food - make sure to also get Cooking for Blockheads to not get lost!), some mod about Backpacks (=> Extra Inventory is always nice - especially if you like to wander or have mods adding lots of different stones and go mining...), Chisel 2 (or something like that - lots of new types of stone, wood planks...), MoCreatures (Lots and lots and lots of animals and hostile, non-animal mobs)... You get the idea. ;)

If you're into tameable creatures, you might want to try MoCreatures, there are quite a few, I think. Or the Ultimate Unicorn Mod. (Those fire-horses, though.... Built a mostly wooden house in the savannah, then came the fire horse gallopping by, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. Surprise, surprise, my house didn't survive.) Or Chococraft. (No, it's not about chocolate. It's about Chocobos from the Final Fantasy series.) You might also enjoy the Fossils and Archeology mod - I think there were some dinos you could tame?

 

If you're into roleplaying and don't mind the occasional bit of lag, you might want to give Millenaire a chance, too. This way, you get to discover villages of different cultures around the the year 1000 AD and can help develop them - or send them into a war with each other. Or meddle with them in whichever way you want.

 

I've recently made the move to 1.12.2, I'm still using many of "my" old mods - but also found some new ones. Like Dynamic Trees (with plug-ins for other tree-generating mods like BoP) or "Just an Upper" (=upside-down hopper) - and a lot of other stuff. XD 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, olympe said:

Oh, I love BoP! That and a couple of other mods that add biomes, trees, plants. I used to really like natura, but it has gone stale for me. I used to play a lot in 1.7.10 - with Biomes o' Plenty and Extra Biomes XXL for *some* extra biomes, Carpenter's Blocks (great utility for building, really!) and Malisi's Doors, Mr. Crayfish's Furniture Mod (best furniture mod out there, if you ask me. Yes, DecoCraft has more complex models, but, well, it's a bit buggy and can cause lag if overused), Bibliocraft (mostly for all its furniture...) not to mention Pam's Harvest Craft (all about farming and making food - make sure to also get Cooking for Blockheads to not get lost!), some mod about Backpacks (=> Extra Inventory is always nice - especially if you like to wander or have mods adding lots of different stones and go mining...), Chisel 2 (or something like that - lots of new types of stone, wood planks...), MoCreatures (Lots and lots and lots of animals and hostile, non-animal mobs)... You get the idea. ;)

If you're into tameable creatures, you might want to try MoCreatures, there are quite a few, I think. Or the Ultimate Unicorn Mod. (Those fire-horses, though.... Built a mostly wooden house in the savannah, then came the fire horse gallopping by, leaving a trail of fire in its wake. Surprise, surprise, my house didn't survive.) Or Chococraft. (No, it's not about chocolate. It's about Chocobos from the Final Fantasy series.) You might also enjoy the Fossils and Archeology mod - I think there were some dinos you could tame?

 

If you're into roleplaying and don't mind the occasional bit of lag, you might want to give Millenaire a chance, too. This way, you get to discover villages of different cultures around the the year 1000 AD and can help develop them - or send them into a war with each other. Or meddle with them in whichever way you want.

 

I've recently made the move to 1.12.2, I'm still using many of "my" old mods - but also found some new ones. Like Dynamic Trees (with plug-ins for other tree-generating mods like BoP) or "Just an Upper" (=upside-down hopper) - and a lot of other stuff. XD 

Mo creatures was the first mod I ever tried to download, I didn't know what I was doing so I failed miserably because I couldn't follow instructions and didn't attempt it for years afterwards. I chose ice and fire instead because while it doesn't have as many creatures the models are a bit better (which is saying something because mo creatures generally looks pretty good) and it goes more in depth with it's smaller pool of creatures.

 

I still think mo creatures looks cool though, if it updates to be in the same version as ice and fire I might add it in but it's only in 1.12.1 right now so it's not an option for me right now.

 

The other mods you listed sound cool to, I might look into em. (the fossils mod is actually mad by the ice and fire people, small world.)

 

---

 

So today I tried twilight forest's revival like I said I would and was instantly in aesthetic bliss, the sounds of the wildlife, the music the BEAUTY, it's a lovely mod. Buuuut I looked through it and decided that I didn't need it, while it's very pretty I have no real reason to visit it other than for the sake of admiring it.

75246600_3212559352119322_2372524751601008640_n.png?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQmkJJNLK70qsizhJWGDepVuL52BfXJk4d4M0XD9M2mX4KUgwjhOnFkQD5-7lKTeQU9DQguCEfrFoeowzzschZdn&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=85a2dd5f477bad4a81b7a7d2a60e9d2d&oe=5E4D79EE

I'm still glad I saw it, maybe someday i'll re-download it when it's a bit more polished or I might change my mind later down the line for my next new world.

I dunno, I don't have a conclusion for this mod.

 

Dat aesthetic, man...

 

Edited by blockEdragon

Share this post


Link to post

I tried Mo' Creatures once, but it absolutely ****'d up mob spawning at night; normally mobs cannot spawn on things like staircases and slabs (the bottom half) even if the light level is below 7, so I put those on the roofs of my buildings to prevent mobs from spawning there. But with Mo' Creatures installed, come the next night my place was absolutely crawling with monsters spawning in places where they shouldn't. Was a shame, too, I was really interested in trying out all those tamable animals the mod adds. I loved the Dragon Mounts mod for 1.10 and was super sad to let go of it when I moved on to 1.12, I thought about giving Mo' Creatures a try to fill that void in my heart but instead it messed up a lot of things so I gave up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Sazandora said:

I tried Mo' Creatures once, but it absolutely ****'d up mob spawning at night; normally mobs cannot spawn on things like staircases and slabs (the bottom half) even if the light level is below 7, so I put those on the roofs of my buildings to prevent mobs from spawning there. But with Mo' Creatures installed, come the next night my place was absolutely crawling with monsters spawning in places where they shouldn't. Was a shame, too, I was really interested in trying out all those tamable animals the mod adds. I loved the Dragon Mounts mod for 1.10 and was super sad to let go of it when I moved on to 1.12, I thought about giving Mo' Creatures a try to fill that void in my heart but instead it messed up a lot of things so I gave up on it.

Oh man, that sounds awful, it's too bad that mo creatures has that issue, mo creatures looked pretty great, I actually was gonna add it to my game when it updated to 1.12.2 thanks for telling us though. Did it mess up with just mo creatures monsters or all hostile mob spawning? Either way, it sounds annoying.

 

As for that void, the only dragon riding mod I know about that isn't mo creatures or the now abandoned dragon mounts is the one that i'm using so I can't be of much help there, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post

@blockEdragon All hostile mob spawning got messed up, not just the ones added by Mo' Creatures. Mobs were all over the freaking place once it got dark. I'm not sure if it was just a bug or something, I remember I first tried the mod like a year ago or so, it might be fixed by now but I'm not certain.

 

Ice & Fire did seem rather interesting, though. I'm a little hesitant to add any real big mods that add tons of stuff as I'm still a little new to modding Minecraft, but I might give that one a try one of these days. :)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Sazandora said:

@blockEdragon All hostile mob spawning got messed up, not just the ones added by Mo' Creatures. Mobs were all over the freaking place once it got dark. I'm not sure if it was just a bug or something, I remember I first tried the mod like a year ago or so, it might be fixed by now but I'm not certain.

 

Ice & Fire did seem rather interesting, though. I'm a little hesitant to add any real big mods that add tons of stuff as I'm still a little new to modding Minecraft, but I might give that one a try one of these days. :)

Wow all of the mobs, how did they even do that?! that's a really weird glitch, thanks for telling me.

 

 

Ice & Fire is about as large as mo creatures (depending on how you define a large or small mod), it has 15 creatures with the dragons being the most intricate and detailed. List of every creature (wiki).

 

It also adds some cool gear and weapons like fire/ice swords that are really strong, dragonbone tools, also strong, and legendary weapons like a siren flute that makes mobs fall under the charm and not attack, a gorgon head that turns a single target into a statue, a Hippocampus slapper that's literally just a giant fish tail that you slap people with, and coolest of all, super strong and hard to make dragon-steel ingots forged by a dragon-breath forge, easily the most metal way to create anything ever.

 

II really love the mod and still recommend it but I wanna be up-front about my issues with it.:

Spoiler

-Dragons dot the landscape in roosts and such and if you can't tolerate them swooping down from time to time and burning/freezing you alive then you probably won't like the mod, they're super cool but also very destructive, they're able to turn blocks to char and ash and destroy them with a touch. Dangerous stuff from the mod doesn't spawn within 200 blocks of spawn so you have that going for you at least. I don't really hate this but not everyone will like this aspect of the mod.

 

-I experience lag but even vanilla lagged and crashed horribly for me, I used to get entire days where the base game would straight up refuse to play for seemingly no reason, (i'd get like 1 FPS and then take a huge break, come back and it would be fine.) I can't tell you much about this mods lag situation because I usually can't tell who's fault it is.

 

One thing was entirely on the mod's side though, my first fight with a full grown giant dragon ended in disaster because the dragon was in a cave and every block it destroyed dropped as an item rather than being obliterated like the Ender Dragon. The thousands of floating items where HORRIBLE for my computer. That was when I completely disabled dragon destruction in the config and fixed the issue.

 

You can get rid of the block breaking in the forge-config by blacklisting blocks from dragon destruction or do what I did and turn the blacklist into a white list and never add anything to the whitelist.

It's a newer, ambitious mod and does have a few bugs, mostly minor things in my experience but one or two are pretty bad.

Spoiler

-The dragon bone bow does not fire for me, i'll charge it, let go, and nothing happens, I just use a regular bow with powerful enchants

 

-Dragons of the same color and texture will cause a glitch, male and female dragons are supposed to look different, I have three bronze dragons, one male, oftentimes they will all use the male/female texture despite the fact that they're supposed to look different, it's just some spots on the wings so it's a pretty minor thing

 

-When I put dragon armor on a dragon and then take it off, a single piece or all of the armor will still display on the dragon despite there being no armor in the slot, if I have a different dragon of the same color it will also look like it's wearing armor despite the fact that it was never given any (similar to the wing pattern glitch), reloading the game can fix this, if reloading doesn't work put them in horns and then reload the game.

 

-I'll be wailing on a wild dragon with a sword (I've never used a vanilla sword on a dragon) and it will straight up despawn after an unlucky hit, no idea why. I don't use sword s on dragons anymore.

 

-I'll be letting a pet dragon out of a horn or putting one in, have a crash, lag spike, or near crash experience, and the dragon will be gone, just gone.

 

I use backups to counter the worst glitch, I put the dragon into a horn (it's like a pokeball or an amulet from Mo-creatures, it lets you carry them and let em out anywhere) and copy the horn with the dragon inside in creative mode to make a clone of the dragon and put the backup in a safe chest, If I loose my dragon (unfairly) I pop into creative, copy the backup and let the clone out, as if it never happened.

Not sure if the bugs are my fault or the mod's but it's what my experience has been.

Edited by blockEdragon

Share this post


Link to post

@blockEdragon I tend to define large mods as mods that add a huge amount of stuff, like... say, 30+ new mobs or blocks or whatever. But thanks for the info on Ice & Fire, I think I'll wait for the mod to get more updates before I give it a try. My computer is not the best around and what you just described sounds like it'd melt my entire machine into a puddle of goop, ha ha. :P

Share this post


Link to post

So I decided to try dragon mounts 2 out of curiosity and I gotta say I love the designs for everything, they're very, very, very pretty.

 

But...

Spoiler

The cardinal issue for me is that the implementation into the game just felt so empty and it's very unbalanced, the dragon eggs are just kinda sitting there and you can get one on your first day or search for hours (I did both) So basically you wander around for a while and then randomly find an egg and become the king of everything in a few MC days, it's very low effort for something so OP.

 

Everything looks very, very very nice and I think the nests would add some nice exploration incentive to the world but they're way too powerful to just be handed out for free. And when I say OP I MEAN OP, I went up against a FULL GROWN ice and fire dragon and had it dead in seconds with some nether-dragon-breath, S5 I&F dragons have 500 health and deal massive damage. That's a lot of fire-power!

 

It's probably for the best that I didn't get sucked into the mod though, because there will never be another update past 1.12.2. They killed killed the mod, apparently there was some kind of horrible conflict behind the scenes, I don't know much but I think someone was being a huge jerk towards someone else and everyone jumped ship to a tiny startup mod called Wyrmroost.

 

Still, the dragons where super pretty and I had fun before the novelty wore off.

 

I've been pretty happy with modding overall, I've had a lot of mods that just didn't click but it's super fun to always have new content, it's like the appeal of vanilla but sped up and on your own terms.

Edited by blockEdragon

Share this post


Link to post

Personally I liked how the 1.10 version of Dragon Mounts added functionality to the dragon egg you obtain in the End, it's more than just a trophy for killing a boss -- a baby dragon looking identical to the Ender Dragon hatches from it and it then becomes your dragon mount. :wub: Not sure if the 1.12.2 version does that. One of these days I might give it a try just for the fun of it.

But on another note, I am absolutely loving this mod called Not Enough Cats -- it backports the 1.14 cat skins over to 1.12.2 and adds cats that spawn in villages that you can tame like how you tame ocelots, but you can still find and tame an ocelot but it retains its skin so you could have a whole army of regular cats and an ocelot. It's cute. :D But the best thing about this mod is that you can toggle whether tamed cats,dogs or parrots follow you or not, and that is the reason why I downloaded this mod in the first place. I like to keep my cats at home, but I didn't like the idea of forcing them to sit around all day and wanted them to be able to wander around like real cats do.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Sazandora said:

Personally I liked how the 1.10 version of Dragon Mounts added functionality to the dragon egg you obtain in the End, it's more than just a trophy for killing a boss -- a baby dragon looking identical to the Ender Dragon hatches from it and it then becomes your dragon mount. :wub: Not sure if the 1.12.2 version does that. One of these days I might give it a try just for theÔĽŅ fun of it.

But on another note, I am absolutely loving this mod called Not Enough Cats -- it backports the 1.14 cat skins over to 1.12.2 and adds cats that spawn in villages that you can tame like how you tame ocelots, but you can still find and tame an ocelot but it retains its skin so you could have a whole army of regular cats and an ocelot. It's cute. :D But the best thing about this mod is that you can toggle whether tamed cats,dogs or parrots follow you or not, and that is the reason why I downloaded this mod in the first place. I like to keep my cats at home, but I didn't like the idea of forcing them to sit around all day and wanted them to be able to wander around like real cats do.

It does but eggs dot the landscape and the ender dragon egg can't be altered because it's a one of a kind breed. That is kinda cool on it's own but the other breeds are really op by virtue of being somewhat rare but easily find-able with some elbow geese, way too little elbow grease. Also that cat mod sounds like a nice little mod, I might check it out.

 

it just crossed my mind that the mod's config might have had the solution to the OPness the entire time, I could probably have put them on par with the I&F mods hippogryphs and fixed the balance by myself. I'm such a dumbbutt, REDOWNLOACD TIME!

 

 

EDIT: I can't believe it didn't cross my mind before

Now they've pretty much replaced hippogryphs. I've lowered their attack damage to five and their health to 15 hearts. now they're a bit harder to get than an ice and fire hippogryph and have really weak attacks, cardinal issue solved!

 

The adorable beauty dragon gets to stayyyyy!

Spoiler

kYrZSi6.png

lbhKgs3.png

aGg5kUf.png

YBiUgcp.png

oFucoUx.png

 

Edited by blockEdragon

Share this post


Link to post

@blockEdragon Holy cow, those are some amazingly pretty dragons. :blink: If you'll excuse me, I'll have to go pick up my jaw from the floor.

Oh, and if you're interested, there's a fairly similar mod for dogs called Doggy Talents -- it adds stuff like talent points for your dogs that let them learn new abilities, like being able to use them as mounts or pack animals and stuff, plus it adds more dog skins that you can swap around at will, and you can set your dog's behavior: for example, you can set it to wander around a set position and not follow you, or you can set it to follow but never attack any mobs, or make it attack ALL mobs on sight. The talents are nifty and all, but again I like this mod because it adds a bunch of new and pretty dog skins and lets them wander around like actual dogs back at home instead of sitting in one place forever. I don't really like having companions with me while I'm mining or exploring or whatever, I much prefer to keep my pets safely back at home, and them being able to wander around like real animals feels so nice. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.