pinkgothic

Teleport option: Giveaway

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a Giveaway option for teleporting that effectively opens a one-way trade link... but with a twist. Instead of just giving your trade offer to the first person who grabs the link, they could request to get the offer. If they choose to request, they would disclose how many dragons (adults, hatchlings, eggs) of the offered species they have on their scroll (including fogged ones).

Example:

The person picking the Giveaway option might pick, say, a gold wyvern and a pink egg, bundle them up like a regular trade, then get their trade link. They'd post it in the 'Trading' section, probably in one of the gifting threads.

An interested party (let's call them 'foobar' in glorious metasyntactic tradition) would click on the link and be prompted: Do you want to request this gift? Doing so will disclose the amount of dragons (eggs, hatchlings and adults) you have of these species: Gold wyvern, Pink.

The person making the offer would check their trade sometime later and see that foobar has requested their bundle, and that they have (for example) 0 gold wyverns, 5 pinks. Possibly there are other requests, too - maybe one of them reads 0 gold wyverns, 0 pinks, and the gifter could then choose that one over the others.

-

Thoughts? Too little information shared, too much? Think it's unnecessary and should be confined to off-site communication (PMs on the forum, IRC, etc)? Think it's a good idea but needs a better name and better (and complete, seeing as the above just touches on a few spots of the workflow) wording?

(I hope this hasn't been suggested before. *fidget* Couldn't find anything, but I know I'm bad at searching. ._.)

-

(Edit: I suspect there probably should be some kind of 'is currently egg-locked' info somewhere, too, but I'm undecided between 'you need to not be egg-locked to request and then the necessary slots count as taken until the person trading accepts or declines' or the much simpler 'the trader is told if you're egg-locked (as with current trades) - if it was accidental (it happened since your request went up) and they don't contact you to point it out and remind you, tough luck'. Any suggestions (even wildly different ones, of course!) very welcome.)

Edited by pinkgothic

I like this idea. I don't gift yey 'cuz I don't have a bronze trophy, but I will in the future...

seems an awfully time consuming way to gift.

If you want to give to someone without a certain species the Giving tree( and other gifting threads) check the scroll before they are listed so you don't have to

I just did something similar with a gold (after seeing the very same thing in the trading section): Offer a gold egg for any kind of hatchling with the stipulation that the scroll owner may not have more than X amount of golds on their scroll. (X being zero in this case.) And, seriously, any kind of hatchling (messy/inbred common...) is not too much to ask for even the worst-lineaged metallic, is it?

What if we did something more like giving away? how about if you choose giveaway, it gives it to someone who isn't egg locked and does not have any of that breed? Also, there should be an option to turn it off if you don't want to be gifted.

seems  an awfully time consuming way to gift.

If you want  to give to someone without a certain species the Giving tree( and other gifting threads) check  the scroll  before they are listed so you don't have to

Really? Given how slow (and admittedly frustrating) my experience has been with true gifting as it works today, I actually struggle to envision this any slower... maybe that's just my bad luck talking, though - that's very possible. smile.gif

Though this way you'd not have to turn down people with fogged eggs or hatchlings (that does disqualify people from some gifting projects, if I recall correctly), because the cave would be sure to count those for you along with the visible ones.

I just did something similar with a gold (after seeing the very same thing in the trading section): Offer a gold egg for any kind of hatchling with the stipulation that the scroll owner may not have more than X amount of golds on their scroll. (X being zero in this case.) And, seriously, any kind of hatchling (messy/inbred common...) is not too much to ask for even the worst-lineaged metallic, is it?

Absolutely agreed there, that's my favourite kind of trading - it's what I made the League of Impatient Cave Cleaners (it's such a bad name, but I have no idea what else to call it). That's a hugely fun way to trade if you ask me. smile.gif It's fantastic to see someone else do it, too! Go, you! biggrin.gif

Some people just like to gift with no (or at least fewer) strings attached, though, it seems. ^-^

Edit:

What if we did something more like giving away? how about if you choose giveaway, it gives it to someone who isn't egg locked and does not have any of that breed? Also, there should be an option to turn it off if you don't want to be gifted.

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure I'm on board with it (my instinct currently says 'no', to be honest), but maybe start a spin-off suggestion in another thread? It's very different from what I was envisioning (though I can see how the name of my suggestion almost automatically implies it - I should really pick a different name!), but certainly strikes me as worthy of discussion.

// Further edit: It's one in the morning over here, I'm catching some sleep! Thanks for the input so far, guys! I'll be back in several hours.

Edited by pinkgothic

I think if you want to be this specific, then you post the egg you want to gift in whatever thread on whatever forum, list your requirements, and have people PM you. First PM or whatnot gets your transfer link. I don't think this is necessary as a site requirement, though. ^^

Yea, but this is more convenient. You can just post the link and accumulate "offers" that guarantee that the scroll you're getting details on is the scroll you're gifting to.

Considering other options users are thinking over, I do prefer this one. Opinions have changed over time. :3

I like this idea, but to avoid spoiling the species to new players, to require a disclosure of a species in a giveaway you need at least one of that species, regardless of trophy level.

Alt and regs are treated as separate species, alt or reg requires alt or reg, not alt and reg. (unless you want to list them separately, such as Alternate Black; Regular Black instead of Black)

10 should be the disclosure limit, to avoid people listing every dragon they have.

Like if you do not have a seasonal you cannot set a giveaway to disclose seasonals, regardless of trophy level.

Or a neglected, you need an ND to force people to disclose ND's.

This applies to holidays, bright pinks, and frills.

Example giveaway (giver's view):

The following egg(s)/hatchling(s) are a part of this giveaway:

(gold hatchling) (example code - xxxxx) (example time left - 7d 0h)

There are currently 2 offers on this giveaway.

foobar:

0 Canopies; 1 Gold; 1 Silver; 0 Bright Pinks; 1 Ochredrake; 0 Alternate Vines; 3 Bronze Tinsels

give offer

lorem:

11 Canopies; 0 Golds; 2 Silvers; 1 Bright Pink; 0 Ochredrakes; 1 Alternate Vine; 20 Bronze Tinsels

give offer

Offerers must disclose these species: Canopy; Gold; Silver; Bright Pink; Ochredrake; Alternate Vine; Bronze Tinsel.

Example giveaway (client view):

The following egg(s)/hatchling(s) are part of a giveaway from foobar. To accept them, you will have to disclose the amount of these species you have: Gold Wyvern, Royal Blue, Red, Nebula, Regular Black, Vine, Alternate Sweetling.

(red dorsal egg) (example code - yyyyy) (example time left - 2d 10h)

You cannot request this giveaway to be given to you if you are egg-locked.

(account verification)

Edited by James1011

I don't understand at all...

If you don't have any seasonals how can you be giving away a seasonal? That's what the disclosure thing is, it lets you see how many of the dragon(s) you're giving away the person has so you can choose who is most worthy.

So if you are giving away a gold and a stripe and a nebula eggs [and therefore have those eggs and most likely adults of those species] any "offers" you get will say, for example "0 [image of egg or adult gold], 1 [stripe image], 1 [nebula image]. It's not that if you're giving away a stripe and only a stripe you can set it to disclose the number of golds and nebulas they have. You don't choose what to disclose, it's just disclosing the numbers of whatever you have in the giveaway.

I say images are better since it is clearer and simpler than text.

I agree that, say, if you are giving away a bred black or vine egg it should disclose regulars and alts separately.

Edited by Pokemonfan13