Powered by Invision Power Board

Welcome Guest, Please Read This.
! Welcome to the Dragon Cave Forums! If you aren't sure what to do, here are a list of recommended locations:

Board Rules
Frequently Asked Questions
Edit Your Profile
Search the Forum

Also, please make sure you read the pinned topics in each forum before posting there, as they contain important information. In addition, if you are signed up on the Dragon Cave, please make your account ID (At the end of your scroll link) visible, either in your profile or your signature.

This box will go away on its own once you reach 10 posts.

Pages: (18) « First ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post ) Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Cave Blockers: Mossy Egg, As we know, time moves differently...

Which plant do you feel is most fitting for this idea?
Moss [ 641 ]  [86.86%]
Lichen [ 93 ]  [12.60%]
Other: I'll tell you in a post or PM [ 4 ]  [0.54%]
Total Votes: 738
Guests cannot vote 
Alenaria
Posted on Apr 14 2012, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Level 2

Group: Members
Member No.: 77,918

This seems really cool and has my full support, for whatever that's worth. It's a neat idea, and would work really well to bring some love to those 'undesired' eggs.
PMEmail Poster
Dragonshadows
Posted on Apr 14 2012, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 173,633

I think it's a neat idea too. But if we want more people to grab them, the moss effect has got to be rarer than 30 percent. Also, can rare dragons become mossy? Is is caveborns or bred eggs, too. That's some stuff to think about(if it can be spread to rare dragons, this should barely ever happen)
xd.png
And is the moss visibly on theQ mark in the cave

This post has been edited by Dragonshadows on Apr 14 2012, 04:11 PM
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Wends
Posted on Apr 14 2012, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Level 5

Member No.: 40,275

If a rare dragon ever remained in the cave long enough to grow moss, I'd probably be spinning circles fast enough to generate enough electricity for the eastern seaboard. Don't see that happening. Like, ever. xd.png

30% seems awesome enough, at least to me. smile.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Valkiepoo
Posted on Apr 14 2012, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 14,579

For the time being, I don't think we should include any contagion factor for moss. While I can see how it would be appealing to collectors to have a "mossy" every kind of dragon, the mechanics would make it difficult to incorporate alongside an MSA - if MSA's themselves are even going to be possible. It would either be uncontrolled or an additional action, which just gets a little more complicated than I want to deal with right now.

I think that for now, the simpler we can keep things, the more likely it will be considered as a viable addition to the site. I would prefer to see it implemented first, then consider further additions from that point to continue the idea's evolution. smile.gif

As far as the percent chance, I think that depends on several factors including what the MSA is, MSA frequency of use, how many overall eggs sit long enough to become "eligible" for mossy-ness, and probably some other metrics I haven't thought about yet. And honestly.. I would expect the percent chance to require adjustment within the first week of implementation. We can theorize, but the fact of the matter is that the percentage should be determined by the cave's movement. The cave slows down at certain points of the day, as well as some breeds just will not move. The percentage should most likely be flexible, and determined by the overall number of eggs that reach the mossy time frame.

Naturally I don't have access to any metrics that could give me a better idea about this. It's another thing that would need to be at TJ's discretion.
PMYahoo
Pokemonfan13
Posted on Apr 26 2012, 12:55 AM
Quote Post

Frying pan kitty likes toasty paws

Group: Help Moderators
Member No.: 1,214

ETA paragraph: I was just reading above and saw people referring to a rarity in the moss effect (I assume for in cave mossings, not for contagion to other eggs on the scroll)? I would hope it would be pretty common. If you are wanting to leave some of the more unwanted eggs in the cave, perhaps at a certain time it becomes 100% mossing (10-30 minutes?) just to get a long blocking egg out of there. And a MSA could be to mossify an egg on your scroll with a low probability of success, and no MSA attached (the point of those is to make the unwanted eggs more attractive, not to give say a gold even more value), so the moss message or whatever it is would be on the adult page, but no action to go along with it. Although I can see one drawback to this. At the moment a certain percentage of people sacrifice an egg slot, be it for the 5 hour time to dump or the time to hatch, just to get the biome they're hunting in moving. But if this is implemented would they instead wait for an egg to go mossy, which if there's a decent number of people hunting would slow things down because they'd wait for mossy eggs instead of sacrificing a slot to keep things moving? It would work well on ones where only a few people are hunting and everything is at a standstill anyways, though. Just something to cogitate on. This could be somewhat solved by making the moss time one minute or two, which is a really long time when hunting, no popular egg would stay that long even on a relatively empty biome unless it is truly an empty biome, and in that case is a popular egg likely to appear?

I'm glad you already have the idea of a random MSA. If you only have one then people are going to collect a certain number then stop because they have all they need, like how I'm not raising any reds or purples or pinks or magis because I have more than enough so I don't run out of each BSA. If you have multiple awesome MSAs then people will have to raise more of the unwanted breeds to get the action they need, and end up getting extras of ones they don't need anymore of which could be released if unwanted on the scroll.

One thing I strongly suggest is a long cooldown on each MSA (a month?) so that a larger hoard is needed for each to have enough to never run out. Another is that the moss has to be very noticeable on the sprite but not covering the entire thing, otherwise you can't tell what breed it is, or if the moss is too subtle you can't tell it's a mossy egg in the AP and therefore desirable.

You should have a list of desired actions and see if any can be worked to have something to do with moss. Sadly the only action I can think of that would be really popular is something TJ would probably not want to implement, mainly one with a low chance of reversing a refusal.

In my opinion egg freezing could possibly be an MSA if TJ allows it, but chances are you should ignore everything below this point. The dragon could, say, be able to spread a disease to the egg which kills the embryo but also prevents rotting and massive stinkage (by also making the insides of the egg poisonous to the bacteria that would normally break down the contents?). Perhaps the moss on the dragon when it was an egg doesn't hurt the dragon but the process of growing up in an egg covered with this particular moss leaves it with an a-symptomatic disease that can kill and preserve other eggs. (spores in the blood that get exhaled?) That's my take on how it could work, but maybe it could inspire someone else?

And I just inspired myself. Similar story, but the spores essentially freeze the dragon's growth and puts it into a permanent hibernation. Nothing rots, but nothing progresses either. Perhaps another MSA with a very very very small chance (.5%? 1%?) of reversing the process and reviving the egg (failure is death to the egg because it hinders the preservation without bringing the egg out of it).

This post has been edited by Pokemonfan13 on Apr 26 2012, 01:07 AM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
dracocharky
Posted on May 1 2012, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 46,804

If I remember correctly, someone a while back raised a concern over how scavenge could affect gifters, with not wanting the eggs to be killed and all... how about, when there would be a dead egg, you get a small dead egg next to the badgezs etc?

This post has been edited by dracocharky on May 3 2012, 11:25 AM
PMUsers Website
Pokemonfan13
Posted on May 1 2012, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

scavebge? And what do mossy eggs have to do with dead eggs and gifting? huh.gif

This post has been edited by Pokemonfan13 on May 1 2012, 03:09 PM
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
dangershy
Posted on May 2 2012, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 57,349

I just came across this. I read the first few pages (1-3) then skipped here. If it hasn't been said yet:

Maybe, if people lurk about waiting for eggs to grow moss, and the same three eggs are there for a long time, they don't grow moss? Because I can just see that. People waiting in each biome for five minutes for mossy eggs. The flow of eggs should keep going, and eventually there's a mossy egg.

And I just want to try my hand at spriting, even though I'm crap at it.
PMEmail Poster
Ashywolf
Posted on May 2 2012, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Ohai TJ09

Member No.: 65,661

QUOTE (Wends @ Apr 14 2012, 04:32 PM)
If a rare dragon ever remained in the cave long enough to grow moss, I'd probably be spinning circles fast enough to generate enough electricity for the eastern seaboard.  Don't see that happening.  Like, ever.  xd.png

30% seems awesome enough, at least to me.  smile.gif

What if the cave goes down for a bit and the eggs are still there? Though I would be so miffed if I clicked a CB metallic before the down and I get a 404.

This post has been edited by Ashywolf on May 2 2012, 04:17 PM
PM
dracocharky
Posted on May 3 2012, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 46,804

QUOTE (Pokemonfan13 @ May 1 2012, 08:08 PM)
scavebge? And what do mossy eggs have to do with dead eggs and gifting? huh.gif

It's called a typo.

Gifters often have the condition that you can only have an egg if you don't have any dead eggs on your scroll.
PMUsers Website
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted on May 4 2012, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

QUOTE (dracocharky @ May 3 2012, 10:43 AM)
It's called a typo.

Gifters often have the condition that you can only have an egg if you don't have any dead eggs on your scroll.

Excuse my confusion, but I'm still unsure of what this has to do with mossy eggs. o.O
PMEmail Poster
Valkiepoo
Posted on May 4 2012, 12:32 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

QUOTE (SockPuppet Strangler @ May 4 2012, 10:18 AM)
Excuse my confusion, but I'm still unsure of what this has to do with mossy eggs. o.O

One of the proposed MSA's is "Scavenge" which would effectively remove those dead eggshells. So the concern is that Scavenge would negatively affect gifting threads, as many use "no dead eggs" in their criteria. It would be seen as a cheat for their thread.

I can see why it would cause some concern, but there could be ways around this.

My first thought is that on a successful Scavenge, the egg is transformed into something "cool" or pretty for a short time. Maybe mossy dragons poop flowers or something, and the description would be "oh my. Looks like a Mossy Dragon has been scavenging again." Thoughts?
PMYahoo
SockPuppet Strangler
Posted on May 4 2012, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Wednesday has been canceled due to a scheduling potato.

Group: Global Moderators
Member No.: 7,406

QUOTE (Valkiepoo @ May 4 2012, 11:32 AM)
One of the proposed MSA's is "Scavenge" which would effectively remove those dead eggshells. So the concern is that Scavenge would negatively affect gifting threads, as many use "no dead eggs" in their criteria. It would be seen as a cheat for their thread.

I can see why it would cause some concern, but there could be ways around this.

My first thought is that on a successful Scavenge, the egg is transformed into something "cool" or pretty for a short time. Maybe mossy dragons poop flowers or something, and the description would be "oh my. Looks like a Mossy Dragon has been scavenging again." Thoughts?

Ooooh, thank you! I knew I had to be missing something - missed that whole little section. o_O

I'm not a fan of removing dead eggs, but I love the idea of replacing it with some other sprite. Gives you something else to look at but it still serves as a reminder.
PMEmail Poster
Fengari
Posted on May 5 2012, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Level 7

Member No.: 68,256

Personally I don't think the 'no dead eggs' requirement of gifting threads should be used as an argument against 'scavenge'.
Yes, the MSA gives a way to 'cheat' for those threads. I consider that the reward for helping out with the cave-blocking problem. After all, with 1 in 3 MSA's being 'scavenge' (if assigned randomly and equally) and only 30% of the mossy eggs getting an MSA, that means for each 'cheat' 10 unwanted eggs have been taken from the cave.
And we want this MSA to be desirable, don't we? Otherwise it won't inspire to take these mossy eggs...
I don't see the need for a 'replacement sprite'. Either the replacement sprite is something equally unpleasant to have on your scroll (mossy poo), in which case there's no point to the MSA, or it is a pleasant replacement sprite (flowers), in which case it may even encourage people to kill eggs just to have it on their scroll, which goes even more against the original idea of the dead egg sprite than just removing it...

As the 'no dead eggs' requirement of some of the gifting threads is not an official rule of the game, I don't think we have to take that in consideration.
PM
warriorjames
Posted on May 5 2012, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

Member No.: 32,136

I have to agree that this seems like a nice idea to get those unwanted eggs out of the cave.
PM
Valkiepoo
Posted on May 11 2012, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

So here's a question - would it help allay the fears about gifting threads and eggshells if raising a mossy egg was say.. as difficult as a tinsel? After all, it does make sense that if it's been afflicted with moss, it's going to take more care and attention to get it to hatch, as well as most likely being more prone to sickness.

That would mean statistically that they'd have to raise at least 6 dragons of tinsel-level difficulty for a Scavenge msa. Even then, I'm certain that the percentages of MSA distribution could be tweaked so that instead of 33%, it could be half that or less. At which point, it would become more of an indication of their ability to raise dragons. If a gift dies after that then they're not incapable, they're just an inconsiderate ... stupidhead.
PMYahoo
Pokemonfan13
Posted on May 11 2012, 05:27 PM
Quote Post

Tinsels aren't hard to raise. Plop them in a hatchery and er them when they get to 3 23. Preferably with at least a few hours without getting any views to buffer sickness.
PMUsers WebsiteMSN
Valkiepoo
Posted on May 11 2012, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Level 8

QUOTE (Pokemonfan13 @ May 11 2012, 03:27 PM)
Tinsels aren't hard to raise.  Plop them in a hatchery and er them when they get to 3 23.  Preferably with at least a few hours without getting any views to buffer sickness.

Let me rephrase. For a new or irresponsible player, tinsels are more difficult than other eggs as they require a higher number of views and if a player attempts to raise the views too quickly, they seem more prone to sickness.

edit -
Honestly, the more I think about it, I just don't what to deal with the whole eggshell debate. Personally it's not a big deal to me, but I know it is to plenty of others. I'll scrap Scavenge and leave that whole debacle up to their own individual threads. I'll see if I can't come up with some other ideas.

This post has been edited by Valkiepoo on May 11 2012, 05:48 PM
PMYahoo
EmpressPhoenix
Posted on May 14 2012, 02:23 AM
Quote Post

Level 4

Member No.: 24,075

I like this idea...I think I understand most of it so yeah. Though, I don't mean to uh..hijack this thread or whatever but, you mentioned people turning off images and using text readers? How does one go about doing this? I might actually...need one if they are legal.
PMEmail Poster
dangershy
Posted on May 14 2012, 06:04 PM
Quote Post

Level 6

Member No.: 57,349

I got bored today and decided to try my hand at spriting.

user posted image

First time doing stuff with eggs. >_<
PMEmail Poster
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (18) « First ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topic