Kanaye

Dresden Files Series

This is to discuss the series, the books themselves, the characters, ect.

I love this series.

I just got the newest book from my library and I have no idea why I'm on here instead of reading it.

Do you guys like it? Do you guys hate it? How many books have you read?

His newest one, not including the two spin-offs, the GN and the one about his brother, is the 12th Dresden Files book.

There even was a season on Sci-fi based on the series. (Yes, back when it was still called Sci-fi)

So, what are your guy's thoughts?

Longtime fan here - been reading since book three hit the shelves and hooked ever since. Own them all in various versions and actually have Jim's signature at the front of Death Masks (its paperback though).

I have nothing but praise for the series as it's my favorite (with Codex Alera following not too far behind).

And if you've ever tried to name a dragon after one of the chars and been unable to, its very possible that I'm to blame. ;D

Edited by terioncalling

Everyone I know IRL who read these is a fan (except me :'P).

Butcher's writing is very smooth - I can't name anything specific I disliked. I was entertained by (and finished) the first, but not enough to read the sequels.

I'm probably biased by my general grudge against contemporary paranormal and urban fantasy for taking up space on "science fiction" shelves and lists. The genre/premise is not my cup of tea :3

Anything you particularly loved in this series?

I love these books. I finished the 12th one yesterday morning, and am now waiting for my mother to catch up so I can rant at her about the ending smile.gif We also have the novella The Warrior that's in the book Mean Streets which has three other stories in it by other authors. (Well, technically it's a friends, and not ours, but it's currently in our house so we can read it, lol)

I've also read all of the Codex Alera books, and I loved them. They're more the genre that I had when I first started reading adult books, but that was years ago now. Now I read just about everything smile.gif

Anything you particularly loved in this series?

The thing that I've always loved is the main character Harry's voice. His growth as a character across the series has also been fun to watch. The side characters also have great personalities and growth.

Plus I enjoy reading how much censorkip.gif Jim puts the poor man through. ;D

Edited by terioncalling

I LOVE THE BOOKS(even though I've only read up to 3) Harry's so cool!

but did you ever think of this he's named after Harry Houdini, Harry Blackstone, , and David Copperfield but he also shares a name with......Harry Potter another famous Wizard is it a coincidence?Yes, but still...

For the same reason that dozens and dozens of characters in classic novels are named "John" and "Ann" (or variant), etc.

Definitely one of my favorites series so far.. Definitely.. There's just so much in there to love!

I love the Dresden files! It really was a coincidence that I came across the series. I had never heard about it before, and one day (some weeks ago) I was at a book store and they had a "3 for 2" sale. I was looking around for interesting books, and noticed this series. Read the back of the first book, and decided to try it out. I read that one, and very soon I was back to buy the rest of the series as well tongue.gif I read the last book last week, and now I'm just waiting for the next book in the series.. I hate having to wait for it! I really, really want to know what happens next O_O

have only read the first one but loved it!

can't wait for the second one in the series smile.gif

There are quite a lot of books, you know. Not just one

Edit: Unless you just meant that you're eager to read the second one in the series, though, not waiting for it to appear in the shops.. I realized that I probably read it wrong just as I posted xd.png

Edited by Nimrodel

I absolutely adore the Dresden Files. I accidentally brought home one of the books from my grandparents' library and read the entire thing in one night. the next morning I went back to finish the series.

"I don't believe in fairies!"

^ ^ ^

My all time favorite battle cry. I adore the Dresden Files, they're intense and funny at the same time. My family and I were reading them together but no one has finished Changes yet and I'm dying to talk about it with someone so PLEASE message me if you'd like to speculate on what's next.

I'm working the Codex Alera series now and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't believe that it's written by the same mind that brought us the Dresden Files. I hope he has some more series yet to come.

Edited by LokyCokey

I just finished reading the series again. This has to make re-read number 4. Maybe 5. I'm not entirely sure on that. I want to talk about the ending with someone, but I'm not going to post spoilers here. Everyone needs to read them without knowing anything further than can be found on the inside of a book jacket.

Anyone interested in speculating on what is going to happen in the next book (Ghost Story, release date 3/29/2011) or who wants to get in depth about thoughts on any of the previous 12, please PM me. Maybe we can get a back and forth going without having to worry about spoiling anything for anyone. My boyfriend won't get much into it with me. He is kind of the "Wait and See" type whereas I am the type that wants to know everything NOW DA*M it!!!!! If I can't know it now, I want to talk about it now.

Almost a guarentee I will dream about Harry tonight. Why can't I live in a reality where I can be a wizard? I don't even want a big flashy power. I just want to heal. *cries* Magic needs to be real in more than a "pray and focus energies in a certain direction and it will help you achieve your goals" sense.

I love this series, I love the action, the character development, not to mention the way it's written. I'm looking forward to Ghost Story when it comes out on the 26th!!

ok, so .. I thought I loved The Hollows, Rachel Morgan.. Dead Witch Walking. Kim Harrison is an amazing writer, then I found Jim Butcher.

Storm Front isn't my fav, and when I re-read the series (as I sometimes do) I don't look forward to reading the first one.. but after that, OMG I can't stop!

I love the personality and the humor..

The best ever battle cry has already been mentioned in a previous post.. but the best way to start off a book .. "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault" to anyone who has ever read any Dresden book with know WHY this is SO funny.

The one liners, the banter .. I wub.gif the relationship between Harry and Thomas xd.png The bit when they were discussing which Tolkin character they would be had me "LOL"

sorry I'm gushing, but these books are a work of art. To anyone who hasn't read any of the Dresden Files, Buy/borrow Storm Front and Fool Moon. If you don't love Jim Buther's writing by the end of Fool Moon I'll be very surprised.

I've also named my guardian dragons after The Dresden Files Book titles and the characters rolleyes.gif

TD.x.

Edited by Twilightdreamer1979

"A virgin?"-- "Harry, I don't know what to say. Is he a present?"

LOL, couldn't stop laughing when I read that quote from Lara Raith. It was 4;00 am and I was unable to put the book down.

Considering I'm spanish, I found it even funnier! xd.png

"A virgin?"-- "Harry, I don't know what to say. Is he a present?"

LOL, couldn't stop laughing when I read that quote from Lara Raith. It was 4;00 am and I was unable to put the book down.

Considering I'm spanish, I found it even funnier! xd.png

PML!! I forgot about that! xd.png

Have you read Ghost Story?...

(I don't want to give anything away to those that haven't)

... the bit at the end with Justine.. The cup of tea I was drinking almost came out of my nose!

TD.x.

Not yet, I'm at Small Favor. Still at the part where he meets Murphy at Mac's place, so I'm pretty early into the book.

I'm usually a fast reader, but I've been so busy I can only read like minutes at a time.

OMG Small favor IS my fav book out of the whole series.

Wait till you find out what the small favor actually is .. xd.pngxd.pngxd.png

I can imagine what's going to happen with a certain someone and a certain something. wink.gif

Gee, I think I should go get the book. I know I musn't procratinate, but I am intrigued about how it is all going to unfold.

BTW, I loved White Night's ending. My bf found me when he woke up at 8;00 am, crying my tears out. I loved Bob when he said; "Harry, are you crying?"