Kanaye

Dresden Files Series

I can imagine what's going to happen with a certain someone and a certain something. wink.gif

Gee, I think I should go get the book. I know I musn't procratinate, but I am intrigued about how it is all going to unfold.

BTW, I loved White Night's ending. My bf found me when he woke up at 8;00 am, crying my tears out. I loved Bob when he said; "Harry, are you crying?"

You should know better than to try and guess what is going to happen wink.gif

.. If you thought that was sad, wow, you wait!

The books get better and better and better, but Small Favor is my fav. go. read. enjoy.

please please tell me what you thought when you finish it.

You should know better than to try and guess what is going to happen wink.gif

.. If you thought that was sad, wow, you wait!

The books get better and better and better, but Small Favor is my fav. go. read. enjoy.

please please tell me what you thought when you finish it.

Yeah, I'm a terrible guesser anyways. xd.png

Don't worry, I will tell you what I thought of it. So far, I'm liking it, a lot.

Yeah, I'm a terrible guesser anyways. xd.png

Don't worry, I will tell you what I thought of it. So far, I'm liking it, a lot.

*TD taps foot* COME ON !!!! I wanna know what you think of the book lol xd.png

TD.x.

*TD taps foot* COME ON !!!! I wanna know what you think of the book lol xd.png

TD.x.

LOL, halfway through it. Been thinking about you every single time I pick it up xd.png.

So far, going good. Michael is AWESOME! He's like some Connan with a holy sword!

But I admit so far I'm very confused. I know better than to make guesses, but I really don't know where the book is going. Which is something good about Butcher, to be able to surprise you even after so many books.

Ok. I love love love the Dresden Files. I have been reading it for at least 5 years now.

Ghost Story TICKED ME OFF.

SPOILER in TINY TEXT (Quote to read)

I was hoping, despretly, that what he was experiencing, with his protege being evil(ish) and all the monsters, was a dream and then he'd come back to life (of course) and everything will be back to normal.

Didn't happen. All the stuff that happened during the story REALLY happened. I was upset. He went from no one in Chicago believing him to Chicago going down in monster hell.

Yes, I know the books about a WIZARD in Chicago but all the books are, more or less, realistic. Ghost Story was as far from realistic as you could get.

If it wasn't part of a series, if I had been reading a stand alone book, I would have loved it. The fact that it was Dresden and so far from any reality in the other books just threw me off and only served to anger me.

I've reread Every Single Dresden Book at least, at least, 5 times or more. Even Thomas's side book I've read multiple times. (Though not the comic book.)

I regret reading Ghost Story even once. And, being the big Dresden fan I am, (I even watched it when it came on TV for one season) I'm quite upset I was so angered with this book.

Ok. I love love love the Dresden Files. I have been reading it for at least 5 years now.

Ghost Story TICKED ME OFF.

I regret reading Ghost Story even once. And, being the big Dresden fan I am, (I even watched it when it came on TV for one season) I'm quite upset I was so angered with this book.

Oh really? sad.gif

While I agree with you it was quite different from the other books, I think that was the point.

I'm going to chose my words carefully here. There was no way Jim butcher could have kept Harry going on the same path, not with everything harry and said and done (especially in "Changes") there had to be a break. a step back. ok so there wasn't masses of explosions and buildings on fire (be they Harry's fault or not xd.png )

I think this book was needed to send Harry down a new path, A new way of looking at problmes and finding the solutions .. rather than just making fun of them or blowing them up cool.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif (I'm thinking of the Vampire masquerade ball where he turned up as a vamp xd.pngxd.pngxd.png )

TD.x.

Twilight. Finished the book last night and it was awesome. There were a couple of things I did expect, all going on with Michael and the thing with Murphy. Both things were mentioned a lot.

But the favor? OMG, I totally did not expect that!

Overall, a good book. I had such a great time with it.

But the favor? OMG, I totally did not expect that!

Overall, a good book. I had such a great time with it.

ohmy.gif You finished!! biggrin.gif

When I got to the bit when you find out what the favor is, I was laughing so hard I had to read that page twice! so so funny. I love the way it's worded, so polite, so oldy-worldy business-like xd.png

You got the next one ready to read? wink.gif

TD.x.

ohmy.gif You finished!! biggrin.gif

When I got to the bit when you find out what the favor is, I was laughing so hard I had to read that page twice! so so funny. I love the way it's worded, so polite, so oldy-worldy business-like xd.png

You got the next one ready to read? wink.gif

TD.x.

Sure am. Already started it, but I'm only a couple of pages into it. Meh, the premise doesn't look too promising, but the begining is intense and it was funny.

I'm just not much of a Morgan person.

BTW, been reading some coments on amazon on Small Favor. Seems amazing how worked up people get about the whole Harry-Murphy romance thing. I mean, I used to like them as a couple, but Butcher has made both characters so believable, and the whole saga is so deep, it is just the way things have to go. After all, if I wanted to read some happily ever after romance, I'd go to the romantic section of my library, not the adventure and fantasy one.

Why do people get so worked up with romance in books they are not intended to be of romantic interest?

I had this happen with a novel of mine and a friend of mine. She got so worked up because the princess was in love with the horse breeder. He did not respond to her feelings, and even if he did, she had a strong sense of honor and duty for herself and her family, and would never even get close to throw all that off board. My friend was so mad when she found out she refused to keep reading.

I should mention the whole book was an instrospective exercise about a character that grows from teenagehood into adulthood, and all the changes, fears and feelings that come with it. The princess was a simple add on about how dreams and desires can't stand over duty and common sense.

All in all, it was an adventure book in a medieval setting, so romance was something to be touched very briefly.

I do ask myself, why? Why do people keep longing to see romance in every book? I'd rather have a bland, romanceless yet well written adventure, than the stupidly annoying romantic triangle between Catti Brie, Drizzt and Wulfgar that went on for 18 friggin books in the Dark Elf Saga!

Not to mention, the whole idea of a romantic relationship between Harry and Murphy would completely ruin the game they have going on. It would be completely OC, it's just not for them. It's obvious they do like each other, but they value their friendship too much to risk it for something they don't know will actually work (and probably wouldn't).

And like I said, if we were to see them in the books as an item, it'd ruin it. It'd ruin the relationship and that fuzzy, warm feeling I get from them when they get more intimate (in a friendly way).

Frankly, the whole Harry and commander Luccio, I saw it more as a man's longing for company and a woman, and her longing to explore her new body in a way she hadn't done for quiet a while.

But what I would really find amusing is seeing Molly in a more flirtatious, in a teenage way, towards her master, and how he responds to her. As a slight humor factor, it would be interesting to see.

Yet again, I absolutely hated Susan. I couldn't have been happier when "that" happened to her. It was a distracting, pointless element, and I didn't see they had much chemistry at all. The relationship was a bit forced in my eyes. Harry is better off alone.

But I do admit they had one of the most steamy erotic scenes I had read in a while (considering I stay faaaar away from hardcore p....n novels). xd.png

The steamey scene with Susan .. is that after the "bleeping disturbing" conversation Harry had with Molly? and Molly suggested it? wink.gif

You my friend, are NOT going to be dissappointed with the rest of the books in the series, especially some of the later ones wink.gif

I know what you mean about the romance .. Have you read Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison? fantastic series ... there's lots involved, it's kinda like the dreased series, but with a more supernatural feel to it,

the main chartacters are:

A Witch (Rachel)

A Vampire (Ivy)

and a pixie (Jenks)

Kim kills off one of the main characters' love interests (much to my dismay) I LOVED this particular guy/love interest but the book wasn't flowing the way it needed to, so bye bye to the sexy pretty boy *TD sobs* I so wanted him to live.

There is another character called Trent (pretty much the bad guy), Lots of people want to see rachel get with Trent .. I don't!

You need these in your life wink.gif Dead Witch Walking starts off a little confusing.. get to the church and the story settles down nicely cool.gif

Back to Dresden ..

I don't really like Morgan either, and Turn Coat isn't one of my fav's. (I guessed who the bad guy was sad.gif ) However, Molly is pretty good in this one if memory serves.

TD.x.

The steamey scene with Susan .. is that after the "bleeping disturbing" conversation Harry had with Molly? and Molly suggested it? wink.gif

You my friend, are NOT going to be dissappointed with the rest of the books in the series, especially some of the later ones wink.gif

I know what you mean about the romance .. Have you read Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison? fantastic series ... there's lots involved, it's kinda like the dreased series, but with a more supernatural feel to it,

the main chartacters are:

A Witch (Rachel)

A Vampire (Ivy)

and a pixie (Jenks)

Kim kills off one of the main characters' love interests (much to my dismay) I LOVED this particular guy/love interest but the book wasn't flowing the way it needed to, so bye bye to the sexy pretty boy *TD sobs* I so wanted him to live.

There is another character called Trent (pretty much the bad guy), Lots of people want to see rachel get with Trent .. I don't!

You need these in your life wink.gif Dead Witch Walking starts off a little confusing.. get to the church and the story settles down nicely cool.gif

Back to Dresden ..

I don't really like Morgan either, and Turn Coat isn't one of my fav's. (I guessed who the bad guy was sad.gif ) However, Molly is pretty good in this one if memory serves.

TD.x.

Hum, no. I don't remember which one exactly was it, but it's some of the earlier books. 4th or 5th I think.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a look when I'm more free.

I do like authors who are able to kill off their main characters. George RR Martin goes a bit overboard with that, but it's nice and refreshing to see them not fear making their "children" pay the consequences of their acts. There are just so many times you can get lucky when in a tight spot, and, quiet frankly, if you're not a fighter, there isn't really much you can do against that 1000 year old japanese vampire, master of the Katana and the martial arts, no matter how much magic you've got in you (I should write a character like that xd.png).

My friend keeps hating me because of this. My characters end up scarred, emotionally and phisically, or end up getting killed. I don't write happy ever after endings, and she hates me for it.

That's something I did like about Butcher and all his books. Some way or the other, there is always a character that ends up paying the consequences. The best example is Susan, who was endlessly told NOT to go to the Red Court's party, and yet she ignored the advice and went, leading to everything that happened to her afterwards.

I cheered. But there was also a pleasant, realistic feeling to it.

About the Carpenter family, there were some people a bit overboard with them (very few, but some). I think it is very clear what the Carpenters represent, the family Harry couldn't have since he orphaned young.

Sure, Charity is a vicious bi...., and I dislike her very much, but the rest of the family is all right. I quiet like Molly, found her to be an interesting character, sort of the rebellious girl, but more sensitive than you would expect, which is a pretty nice thing. And she's afraid, she fears, which is also realistic and natural.

I guess I'm pretty fond of every character in the book, even Jonnhy Marcone is an interesting, 3D character, and I never really know what to expect from him. He is a criminal, but there is something inherently human in him, and he is the lesser evil after all.

How are you getting on with the series DragonNighthowler?

I already can't wait for the next one .. I may have to re-read them all over again xd.png

TD.x.

How are you getting on with the series DragonNighthowler?

I already can't wait for the next one .. I may have to re-read them all over again xd.png

TD.x.

Still on Turn Coat. Been so busy this Christmas with work and all I haven't had time to read much.

And I admit my boyfriend gave me TES; Skyrim for Christmas as a present, and I can't put it down xd.png.

I'm halfway into the book. I have my suspicions about who the bad guy is.

I love the Dresden Files! <3 I haven't read them all, somehow I managed to read them all out of order and miss a few in between. xd.png I've decided I am going to read them all, in order, and have already reread the first one and I'm waiting on the second.

So far, Dead Beat is my favorite book followed closely by Side Jobs. Ghost Story was good; I kinda expected the ending, part of it anyway. I can't wait for the next book to come out!

My favorite characters are Harry, Bob, Micheal, Butters, Thomas and Murphy.

EDIT: And I still wanna know what happened to Bob. >_< I'm not sure if I read to fast and missed something, or if the last thing I remember is the last he was mentioned before the book ended.

Edited by Raikielia

I love the Dresden Files! <3 I haven't read them all, somehow I managed to read them all out of order and miss a few in between. xd.png I've decided I am going to read them all, in order, and have already reread the first one and I'm waiting on the second.

So far, Dead Beat is my favorite book followed closely by Side Jobs. Ghost Story was good; I kinda expected the ending, part of it anyway. I can't wait for the next book to come out!

My favorite characters are Harry, Bob, Micheal, Butters, Thomas and Murphy.

EDIT: And I still wanna know what happened to Bob. >_< I'm not sure if I read to fast and missed something, or if the last thing I remember is the last he was mentioned before the book ended.

Oh my friend, you DO need to read them in order. The character development progresses nicely throughout the books.

My fav is still Small Favour, although Changes was excellent too.

Butters is a much needed bit of comic relief, but he comes into his own and stands apart from the others due to his lack of skills I think.

Thomas wub.gif I only wish I was Justine laugh.gifwink.gif

Michael is too perfect for my likeing... his daughter on the other hand is too funny for words.

What do you mean "what happened to Bob?" you might need to PM me if you're talking about something in the later books - don't post spoilers wink.gif

TD.x.

I wanted to read them in order, but my stupid library never has the ones I need when I need them. Dx So I just started getting the ones I could. xd.png Gotta get back to the library soon so I can get Fool Moon. smile.gif

What do you mean "what happened to Bob?" you might need to PM me if you're talking about something in the later books - don't post spoilers wink.gif

Yeah, I'm talking about in Ghost Story. I didn't want to say anything more than that for those who haven't read it yet.

I wanted to read them in order, but my stupid library never has the ones I need when I need them. Dx So I just started getting the ones I could. xd.png Gotta get back to the library soon so I can get Fool Moon. smile.gif

Yeah, I'm talking about in Ghost Story. I didn't want to say anything more than that for those who haven't read it yet.

hi again

Yes Fool Moon is an important book .. that's where Harry first meets Billy wink.gif

When you say what happened to Bob, do you mean why there were 2 Bob's? or why you got the chance to see Bob in a different context?

If it's the 2 bob's thing, that is explained in an earlier book wink.gif

TD.x.

Dear Mr Butcher

Please write faster. Thanks.

Much love and kisses,

Twilightdreamer1979

I've started Changes. I'm no more than 50 pages into the book but I'm not liking it very much. Let's just hope Susan finally feeds, or does something interesting for a change. She was, by far, the most annoying, stupid and useless character in the whole series.

Was never a fan of Harry and Susan as an item. I cheered when she left, and always thought it was some sort of forced insert that had nothing to do with the books.

I liked the past book (I'm so stupid I forgot the title). The "revelation" was to be expected. I didn't know who the bad guy was, and kind of surprised myself, although I still don't get the motives. But the killer, I did expect it. xd.png

Felt kind of sad for "the character". I mean, there was something inherently good in it that kind of reminded me of Les Miserables.

Nice book.

Got your PM twilight xd.png Ahaha, I stalk this thread occasionally actually but since I've not re-read the series since my starting it 6 six years ago, I didn't comment due to the sketchiness of my book knowledge. -has a terrible memory-

I do so love the series though! I even watched the TV spin-off |D But that was partly, okay, MOSTLY (D:) because I found out Terrence Mann was acting as Bob in it >>;; -is addicted to the man's voice since she heard the Scarlet Pimpernel original broadway soundtrack- The spin-off was, well, different from what I expected but, like the books, you can expect the insanely funny quote-worthy lines xDDDD -will give examples only if prodded because she is lazy to re-listen and search for them-

But, ahem, back to the books. I'm pretty sure I'm up-to-date on them, even the short stories from anthologies and Backup. If I missed something, it's only because I don't know it exists xd.png;; I read Dresden out of order (Summer Knight first) which I think is fortunate because when I finally got around to the first and second books, I did not like them all that much. Not to say I disliked them but they weren't as enrapturing as the later books. The plot thickens later I guess xDDD

Although, I'm a little on the fence with the latest book, Ghost Story. Okay, it was interesting and everything from a ghostHarry perspective but I guess the whole idea (like who really killed him) was a little too farout for me. I wasn't really happy over Molly's changes either :C

@ DragonNighthowler I never was much of a Harry/Susan fan either B: -likes Murphy much more but that could be the feminist corner in me speaking since tiny Murphy totally kicksass-

Okay, I changed my mind. My favorite book is Fool Moon!!! <3 And I've decided I don't like Murphy much. sleep.gif And I never really liked Susan, either.

hi again

Yes Fool Moon is an important book .. that's where Harry first meets Billy  wink.gif

When you say what happened to Bob, do you mean why there were 2 Bob's? or why you got the chance to see Bob in a different context?

If it's the 2 bob's thing, that is explained in an earlier book  wink.gif

TD.x.

Dear Mr Butcher

Please write faster.  Thanks.

Much love and kisses,

Twilightdreamer1979

No, I know why there are two Bob's. Toward the end of the book, something happened with him that wasn't fully explained(that I noticed. It is possible I just completely missed it. xd.png).

Edited by Raikielia

I dunno, I pretty much enjoyed the series....that is, up until the whole Christianity thing kept popping up, probably because I'm not a Christian myself.

And souls. God, I really dislike the concept of souls, so that one irked me. That aside, pretty much well written biggrin.gif

I've started Changes. I'm no more than 50 pages into the book but I'm not liking it very much. Let's just hope Susan finally feeds, or does something interesting for a change. She was, by far, the most annoying, stupid and useless character in the whole series.

*Chuckles* Oh, yes, she does something interesting xd.png keep reading, you'll love it wink.gif

I dunno, I pretty much enjoyed the series....that is, up until the whole Christianity thing kept popping up, probably because I'm not a Christian myself.

And souls. God, I really dislike the concept of souls, so that one irked me. That aside, pretty much well written biggrin.gif

I'm not Christian either, I'm Pagan, but I kinda agree with Dresden on this one, IF there IS a God, he's not my God. He's there for other people smile.gifwink.gif

Oh Really?! sad.gif Hmm... kinda hard to explain a Ghost without a soul I suppose? Especially with Angels running around too xd.png

So - without giving anything away for those who haven't read the whole series .. what direction is the next book going to go?

Will Harry "save" his friends and family and outwit his .. erm .. current foe?

Is he technically still under the protection of Lea do you think?

TD.x.

Edited by Twilightdreamer1979

I'll give you that, it's quick and full of action, which makes in a pleasant read. biggrin.gif

Gee, now I feel like reading. I think I'm off to get the book. xd.png

I'm not Christian either, I'm Pagan, but I kinda agree with Dresden on this one, IF there IS a God, he's not my God. He's there for other people smile.gifwink.gif

Oh Really?! sad.gif Hmm... kinda hard to explain a Ghost without a soul I suppose? Especially with Angels running around too xd.png

I interpret ghosts as sort of...traces left by people, and the concept of angels...blech. I dunno, just not my cup of tea. I don't believe in a supreme god as an atheist, and I dunno...it became something like what Supernatural had become. But that's just me.

I'm half the way into the book. At first I was not convinced, but now I'm really liking it. I'm intrigued as to how the story will progress.