Rebelyell101

Lord of the Rings

okay so just talk about lord of the rings, i have a question,

Aragorn is the heir of Isldur but his father is Arathorn, how does that work should Arathorn be the heir of Isldur??

He's descended from Isildur from 50 or something generations. So he's the heir's heir's heir's heir's blah blah blah's heir to Isildur.

user posted image

Seen this all over the forum. Never gets dull. +1

I'll just move this for you....

It's a magical series. I still have fond memories of reading it for the first time.

And the movies are good for some lulzy gifs, as I think we all know.

okay so just talk about lord of the rings, i have a question,

Aragorn is the heir of Isldur but his father is Arathorn, how does that work should Arathorn be the heir of Isldur??

Well, actually, Arathorn (I think he was the second of his name) is dead.

Kind of throws a wrench into things.

On a lighter note, I can speak Quenya. ^^

The first book was a bit boring, in my opinion. But the second and third are fantastic.

A thing I didn't like about them was the flatness of the characters. I know the whole book is focused in the journey, but I would have liked to feel more identified with the characters. There didn't seem to be many emotions in them. They accepted the journey with a shrug.

Characters like Gimly, and Legolas, which are left aside in a secondary manner, are pretty much unknown to the reader. We know their genealogy, but little more.

The movies give a wider view on the character's feelings.

I enjoyed the books, and I think Tolkien was a good writer, with a lot of imagination to portray such a vivid, complicated world. But I don't think I'll read them again.

Characters like Gimly, and Legolas, which are left aside in a secondary manner, are pretty much unknown to the reader. We know their genealogy, but little more.

That is kind of typical of both their species though. Neither elfs nor dwarfs (Tolkien's spellings) are exactly talkative people.

Dwarfs are more interested in stone/metal craft and what their ancestors made than discussing what they think of this mission. Even at the Battle of Helm's Deep Gimli is fought back into some caves and spends the rest of the fight wandering around admiring at them and chasing any orcs that happen in, while his friends worry because they can't find him. When they do find his he says that the caves are"...vast and beautiful. There would be an endless pilgrimage of Dwarfs, merely to gaze at them, if such things were known to be. Aye indeed, they would pay pure gold for a brief glance!"

Legolas is a wood elf and comes off as being rather constantly uncomfortable without trees around him. He is terse, but so are most of the elfs we meet in the story. They seem to view themselves as greater then most humans because they have superior knowledge and experience. They consider themselves apart from most of the events in the book, preferring to leave to the Grey Havens, rather than live in a world ruled and ran by men.

I've just finished the first book and have to agree with DragonNighthowler's point regarding characterization. Dunno...Tolkien seems to have a little too much of the old Romantic style to his dialogue, i.e. pretty unrealistic. They all speak the same way, and it's impossible to pick any personalities out of the general cloud.

I just recently started reading the whole works of Tolkien. I already finished The Book of Lost Tales Vol 1 and started on Vol 2.

In fact my sister and I are planning on learning one of the elvish dialects. Spoken and written.

Chess Tyrant - Thanks for the link! biggrin.gif

silverdragon7373 - Where and how did you learn? I have an interest in the languages of LOTR.

I am the only one that elected to learn the Dwarvish alphabet, rather than the Elivish one?

I confess that when I read these days I tend to skip straight to Rivendel at the start, and most of what Frodo/Sam are doing later on. I do love the books, but I tend to find Frodo himself a little boring.

I started loving LoTR after I read it in English. The Latvian translation is awful.

I actually like the mythical storytelling manner in The Silmarillion better, although it's harder to follow than LoTR.

I read LOTR a long time ago, I should read the books again.. I've seen the trilogy a bunch of times though, so I remember that better. It is vast and epic and I'd like to learn Quenya if I had the time and will.. But I don't think I can discipline mysellf to do that. xd.png

I can't recall exactly what I thought the first time around, but I'm terrified to read them again lest I let down some more "childhood" memories :3

Appendices, I remember, were fascinating at the time, but now I'd rather spend my time on a language more than 0.1% of the population knows in any capacity.

Loved the books: Tolkien = awesome writing. Better than Paolini by far, despite what a lot of people say...

Anway, the books are well written. I for one had no trouble with the style and got really lost in the settings, in a good way. And there is characterization, you've just got to look really deep. Like Aragorn is always sort of the wiser man from the group, yet our friend Boromir (did I get that right?) has his more...greedy traits. Sam was the best characterized in my opinion. But Merry and Pippin? Very similar.

I loved the first one best, because of the variety of settings showing the bright side of Middle Earth. But the third ties a close second, for an awesome ending.

Love them. I read the it for the first time years ago when I was like 12 and have reread several times since then.

Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge fan!

I'll discuss hem more later, but for now I have to go to bed, and read (I'm rereading LotR right now).

I love Lord of the Rings especially when I think about how this series was the one that pretty much made fantasy what it is today. Almost everything written as fantasy today has something that can remind you of Lord of the Rings.

Edited by Yamielf

/edits Yamielf's post

Most of high/epic fantasy today, the kind with swords and sorcerers and medieval times ;') A part of the modern fantasy genre is almost intentionally moving as far away from LotR as possible.