Mistywolf3628

View generation on dragon's page

My suggestion is to add the dragon's generation to its 'view' page. For example, I have this 2nd gen vermeil:

dcsuggestion.png.20e29f4d210f26fb610a9600447cc600.png

The gen number could be listed right above the parents. I don't think it would take up too much extra space and it could be really useful, as having to click on the view page and then the lineage link every time you want to see what gen it is gets really tedious after a while. I also don't want to have to put '2g', '3g', etc in all of my dragon's names if I want to use them for breeding conveniently.

I have also seen a suggestion along the lines of adding a filter to the breeding page which allows you to sort by gen/species. I think that would also be a great fix to this issue.

There's dragons with "broken" gen numbers and I'm not sure how this would handle them.  This is visually a 4th gen, but it's listed as a 5th gen.  If you click through each of the ancestors you eventually reach this one, where it's listed as "gen 1" while it's ancestors are "gen 0" but if you view it from either descendant it's listed as gen 3 while it's ancestors are listed as gen 2 and if you view the "gen 0" parents' /lineage pages they're listed as "gen 1".

3 hours ago, KageSora said:

There's dragons with "broken" gen numbers and I'm not sure how this would handle them.  This is visually a 4th gen, but it's listed as a 5th gen.  If you click through each of the ancestors you eventually reach this one, where it's listed as "gen 1" while it's ancestors are "gen 0" but if you view it from either descendant it's listed as gen 3 while it's ancestors are listed as gen 2 and if you view the "gen 0" parents' /lineage pages they're listed as "gen 1".

I believe this only effects certain thuweds, if I'm not mistaken. IMO it's a small enough pool of affected dragons that it'd still be nice to have this stat on the page. Support

4 minutes ago, meeps114 said:

I believe this only effects certain thuweds, if I'm not mistaken. IMO it's a small enough pool of affected dragons that it'd still be nice to have this stat on the page. Support

Personally, I disagree that not wanting to click through to the lineage is a fair trade off for numerous other dragons being forced to display incorrect information (at least for lineage creation purposes) on their view page.  It would hit at least 8 of my dragons, personally.

It's also an issue a breeding filter runs into.

20 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Personally, I disagree that not wanting to click through to the lineage is a fair trade off for numerous other dragons being forced to display incorrect information (at least for lineage creation purposes) on their view page.  It would hit at least 8 of my dragons, personally.

It's also an issue a breeding filter runs into.

It would be correct for 99.99% of dragons on the site. Just doesn't seem like a big enough problem in my opinion.

7 hours ago, KageSora said:

That seems to be a glitch, so wouldn't it make more sense to try and fix it instead of rejecting new potential features because of it? I am not a coder so I'm no expert on how this site runs, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue if its only affecting a small number of dragons. If it can't be fixed though, I assume their gen number would just be displayed incorrectly on the dragon's page the exact same as how its displayed on the lineage page, so it wouldn't really be any different from how it is now.

3 hours ago, KageSora said:

It's also an issue a breeding filter runs into

Also there is actually a filter system already implemented for groups and the fertility bsa, so I think it should be pretty simple to transfer that existing system to breeding as well

support. it seems disingenuous to me to argue against such a nice qol feature to have just because it might be affected negatively by a bug. the onus is not on suggesters to take into account every known bug before suggesting something and writing a two paragraph essay detailing how, they specifically, would fix the bug first, that responsibility would be on tj if he decided to implement it (which we don't even know yet).

On 5/9/2024 at 5:51 PM, meeps114 said:

It would be correct for 99.99% of dragons on the site. Just doesn't seem like a big enough problem in my opinion.

As somebody who has 8 separate dragons that would be showing incorrect information to anybody who looked at their /view page if yhis wete publicly displayed, I simply don't agree that my dragons should broadcast blatantly wrong information because other users are too lazy to click the lineage link.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:51 PM, Mistywolf3628 said:

That seems to be a glitch, so wouldn't it make more sense to try and fix it instead of rejecting new potential features because of it? I am not a coder so I'm no expert on how this site runs, but it doesn't seem like a huge issue if its only affecting a small number of dragons. If it can't be fixed though, I assume their gen number would just be displayed incorrectly on the dragon's page the exact same as how its displayed on the lineage page, so it wouldn't really be any different from how it is now.

The difference is that if you click the /lineage page you can actually see that the lineage numbering is wonky and that CB dragons are listed as the wrong gen.  Meanwhile if you just looked at the /view page with this change, you would not see that.  And considering that this suggestion seems to stem from some users being too lazy to click the /lineage page and manually count themselves, I can only assume they'll happily go by wrong information as long as it means clicking less times.

The issue has been present for a long time, I assume that if it was going to be fixed it would be by now, especially as the issue already impacts filters incorrectly.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:51 PM, Mistywolf3628 said:

Also there is actually a filter system already implemented for groups and the fertility bsa, so I think it should be pretty simple to transfer that existing system to breeding as well

Yes, and that filter already falls victim to the issue with the generations being labeled incorrectly.

If something like this were to be implemented, I would want it ONLY visible to the owner of the dragon.

29 minutes ago, KageSora said:

As somebody who has 8 separate dragons that would be showing incorrect information to anybody who looked at their /view page if yhis wete publicly displayed, I simply don't agree that my dragons should broadcast blatantly wrong information because other users are too lazy to click the lineage link.

The difference is that if you click the /lineage page you can actually see that the lineage numbering is wonky and that CB dragons are listed as the wrong gen.  Meanwhile if you just looked at the /view page with this change, you would not see that.  And considering that this suggestion seems to stem from some users being too lazy to click the /lineage page and manually count themselves, I can only assume they'll happily go by wrong information as long as it means clicking less times.

The issue has been present for a long time, I assume that if it was going to be fixed it would be by now, especially as the issue already impacts filters incorrectly.

Yes, and that filter already falls victim to the issue with the generations being labeled incorrectly.

If something like this were to be implemented, I would want it ONLY visible to the owner of the dragon.

I appreciate you giving your opinion, although I do think calling people "lazy" is a bit harsh and seems like a bit of an emotional overreaction on your part.

Honestly I would be completely happy with just the breeding filter being added. There's no visual impact and you can just choose not to use it. I suggested this idea because it randomly popped into my head as I was opening and closing multiple tabs to see which dragons I wanted to breed together for even gen lineages. I also think it could help reduce lag for users since you wouldn't have to keep cycling back and forth between pages. So I do believe there are real benefits to this, that's why I made the suggestion in the first place. It's fine for you to disagree with it, I just hope that we can stay respectful of other people's opinions.

55 minutes ago, KageSora said:

You have 8 dragons with this glitch. How many dragons do you have without the glitch? I have none with that glitch and I have over 1500 dragons on my scroll. While there are likely a handful of people who have dragons from the same lineages as yours, generation number would not impact most of DC at all and doesn't change game play in any way.

As someone who has carpal tunnel and also hunts specifically low gen dragons, this suggestion is actually helpful to someone like me.

Less clicks means less wrist movement, less loading time, less discomfort, and saves me a lot of (currently) wasted time trying to load a dragon with 30+ generations that I'm going to abandon regardless. Having the generation visible on the dragon's page would significantly improve my quality of life within DC and has literally nothing to do with laziness at all. It would be a tiny number implemented under other stats.

I know a lot of other people who would gain so much relief from the little number added.

Strong support for this suggestion!

@KageSora Improving user interface to have a more convenient and streamlined experience isn't being lazy. You're welcome to your opinion, but personal attacks are unnecessary. Also, while the glitch is easy to notice for any low level gen dragons, if it affects anything higher gen (especially, but not limited to, 15+ gens,) users affected would have to count the gens manually anyways for the affected dragons. You're already aware of your 8 affected dragons; I'm not sure why you being bothered by incorrect info being displayed on another section, so much so that you think any other benefits are negated by this, for yourself and every other user. And again, 8 dragons out of how many...? As I already stated, 99% of dragons are unaffected by this.

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

I absolutely agree with this, though I have no interest at all in the suggestion as it stands; I have my own generational records, and it wouldn't help me at all anyway - but I don't like "clutter" (it would feel that way to me) on a dragon's page..

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I absolutely agree with this, though I have no interest at all in the suggestion as it stands; I have my own generational records, and it wouldn't help me at all anyway - but I don't like "clutter" (it would feel that way to me) on a dragon's page..

I don't have a problem with that, since it's supposed to be a QOL thing not just a visual change

Posted (edited)

Support for the filter; god, please, my kingdom for breeding filters. Neutral on gens being listed, not for the reasons kagesora listed, but because it doesn't help me when breeding.

Edited by Skadi

Support. I'm all for it being visible to the owner only. I see no negatives with this.