aa_oo3oo

ANSWERED:Why do you prefer named parents?

Go to solution Solved by blah,

Hello, I am a foreigner who doesn't know any English. I use a translator.

I want to name the dragons, but I hesitate. Because I don't know English, I don't even know American slang.

I read a lot of related materials on the forum so that I wouldn't make a mistake while naming a dragon.

And I also saw a story about a rooster.  If you translate a rooster, you can see two things: rooster and -removed- But I heard -removed- is used in swear words?

I didn't know that at all and I thought I might end up doing something similar.

So, unfortunately, I decided not to name the dragons.

But when I looked at Trading, I often saw people who wanted parents with names.

Why do you want parents with names? Is it to make it easier to prevent inbreeding?

I've also seen people who want names that are not distinguished by CB or 2G.

Is it because it's not neat? Or is it because it doesn't look like a name?

If many people want named parents, I am also worried about raising named parents.

It's dawn here so I'll go to bed and wake up to read your answers. Thank you!

Edited by Kaini

The story about the rooster is true. It was my rooster. 🙈😂 Please delete the other word for rooster from your post. It really is a rude word.

Some people prefer named parents because it looks neater. They prefer no markers for 2nd generation for the same reason. There are many people who do not care about named parents though. They will trade with you.

Problematic words aren’t common. Rooster is an exception! I hope this helps. I tried to write short sentences so the translator can translate them well. 

9 hours ago, blah said:

~Korean language removed~

Oh, my God. I'm so sorry!!

I used the word as it is to explain, and (I didn't understand the seriousness of the word. Sorry.) It was censored.😂

I'm lying down to sleep, but I'm so surprised that I'm writing back. Thank you to the manager for the censorship.

Also, thank you for your kind reply! The translation is very well done.

I thought there was a trading culture I didn't know.

Thanks to that, I can think of it more simply. Thank you again and again! 

I hope you have a nice day!

+ I wanted to ask if it was morning there, but I checked that it wasn't morning and revised my greeting. I'm sorry if it was rude.

Edited by purpledragonclaw
removing Korean language

Hello :)

I am someone who names all my own dragons because I prefer how it looks on my scroll. When the parents of any of my dragons are named, I like to incorporate their names in what I call their offspring. For me, that adds a nice sense of heritage and community. I also find it nice when people name offspring of my dragons that they pick up, but I don't get annoyed when they don't.

Another reason for preferring named parent dragons may be for lineage projects where the look of the lineage page is important to people. They may be trying to create a particular naming scheme or just prefer the look of names instead of codes.

If you do want to start giving your dragons names, you could name them in your own language to avoid translation problems. You could also make up fantasy words. That's what I do with mine.

I also agree that there are many people who don't care about named parents in trade. You should be able to find trading partners even if you never name your dragons.

Edited to add: From your post above, I assume your native language is Korean? That may make it more difficult to give names in your own language, as you would have to rely on transliterations.

Edited by ryon_brink

8 hours ago, ryon_brink said:

~Korean language removed

Wow, it's great to name all the dragons.

It's wonderful to pass down your parents' names to your offspring. That's what I wanted to do, too.

Wonderful Genealogy! I know what you're talking about. I also feel good when I see a wonderful genealogy.

Oh, I feel more refreshed thanks to your detailed answer.

Also, it's amazing that you got my country right. How did you know? I am Korean.

It may be a little hard to use the words of our country as you say. 

Peaches can be read in Korean as bogsung-a, but I don't think others will understand it at all. lol

But I think your idea is cool. I think it would be good to try it.😆

Anyway, thank you for your help! I'm glad there are many kind people.

I hope you have a great day! Thank you.

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Removing Korean language.

I like my dragons named, it helps me know who has been bred. I tend not to name those I don't breed or haven't bred, this also keeps me from inbreeding lines or messing myself up, however that's what vampires are for too ;)

I like to use names from the parents to make new names, bc with over 2k dragons it's hard to just randomly name them all lol

I am however slightly vexed when a scroll gets burned/dragons are let go(now wild)/previously unnamed parental units get named-->then my naming scheme no longer makes sense. I have a few just recently I renamed myself bc none of their ancestors had names anymore.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just english words either. I span mythologies, change the spellings to something more aesthetic.

In trades I ask for named parents . People have names, my pets have names, I want my dragons to have names.

Some people use a random name generator to help them come up with unique names. There are many name generators to choose from on the internet.

This is just one > https://www.behindthename.com/random/

I also prefer to have named parents when I make lineages, but I don't like tags (CB, 2G ect.) I'd be less likely to pick up dragons from a trade if there were unnamed/tagged.

However, a lot of people have unique naming schemes that don't match, and I do like it when different styles are in the same lineage. I name in English without capital letters, so in lineages like these: https://dragcave.net/lineage/illkK it's easy to see which dragons are mine and which belong to others.

If you'd like to name dragons I'd encourage it! You could use a name generator, but why not name in your native language? It's hard picking names in English a lot of the time because that's the language most dragon names are in, and each name must be unique. So you have to think of pretty weird things to make it work (without tags). So naming in your native language could actually be a huge advantage!

Edited by Zonnedauw

I'm pretty open when it comes to having named parents or not. If I think of a good name I'll try to carry on the parent's name theme if they have one. Sometimes I'll leave them unnamed because they have a neat code. For example: https://dragcave.net/lineage/1GOLf or https://dragcave.net/lineage/R00MO

Some people even look for certain codes like the Z-code fans or codes with all numbers, which are very rare. I think out of my 10,000+ dragons I have three that are all numbers? I hope that helps, too.

3 hours ago, Zonnedauw said:

but why not name in your native language? It's hard picking names in English a lot of the time because that's the language most dragon names are in, and each name must be unique. So you have to think of pretty weird things to make it work (without tags). So naming in your native language could actually be a huge advantage!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I remember, we can’t name using non-English characters. 

1 hour ago, Moriaty said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I remember, we can’t name using non-English characters. 

This is correct.