Rhahatl

BSA Suggestion: Rekindle (Pyropellis BSA)

Inspired by the recent Astrael BSA. I tried searching around, but didn't find any other suggestions for this breed.

I'd like to suggest a BSA for Pyropellis dragons that would allow the dragon to pass on its flame to another Pyropellis. This could apply to both S2 hatchlings and adults, allowing users to change their dragon's color without breeding it. This BSA would fit in well lore wise too, as their description states that "The flames also serve as a way to bond: young hatchlings are often first set aflame by their parents.".

I am a bit stuck on how this might work for the flameless variant, so any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!

I like this! This could be super useful to avoid having to breed the Pyropellis to get the right color flame--or to fix any mishaps that might've happened if bred with the wrong partner. Support!

I'd say Flameless Pyropellis can stay the same as they are, but that's just me so I dunno

Oh I would love this! I don't always seek to breed Pyropellis to get certain flame color, let alone plan lines where I'd need to breed dragon week later again for correct flame... Makes me question why this couldn't be a thing already!

I wouldn't mind this, but I do feel like it would defeat the purpose of the breeding mechanism a bit. Most people who already have all kinds of Pyropellis probably wouldn't bother to use breeding to change colour because the BSA is easier. Maybe this would make more sense just for s2 hatchlings to tie it with the lore in the description...?

I’m with Miss; would be fun for hatchlings, but the breed was specifically designed for its current mechanic.

With respect for the creator, I don’t feel like “making something easy easier” justifies this change.

Additionally, it would mean every Pyropellis would forever show on your bsa list making it miles longer. 

5 hours ago, inghelene said:

Additionally, it would mean every Pyropellis would forever show on your bsa list making it miles longer. 

Only if you have a lot of them, and the same could be said for any BSA dragon if you have a super high number of them.  So I don't think this part here is a good argument against this specific BSA suggestion.

20 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Only if you have a lot of them, and the same could be said for any BSA dragon if you have a super high number of them.  So I don't think this part here is a good argument against this specific BSA suggestion.

My main point being the first half for a reason.

For a game where you spend days to hatch an egg, I don’t see the 7 days wait for a simple colour change to be enough of an issue to override the creator’s design.

Which brings me back to the last point; I think the benefit of this change is so small that I imagine more people would see this as another bsa to scroll past, than those who would prefer to hide how they bred their dragon. 

7 hours ago, MissK. said:

I wouldn't mind this, but I do feel like it would defeat the purpose of the breeding mechanism a bit. Most people who already have all kinds of Pyropellis probably wouldn't bother to use breeding to change colour because the BSA is easier. Maybe this would make more sense just for s2 hatchlings to tie it with the lore in the description...?

6 hours ago, inghelene said:

I’m with Miss; would be fun for hatchlings, but the breed was specifically designed for its current mechanic.

With respect for the creator, I don’t feel like “making something easy easier” justifies this change.

I'm fine with it only being for hatchlings, as I primarily want a way to get frozen hatchies in different colors. Astraels are also pretty similar in the sense that once you breed them to get the other colors, you never really have to do that again- but I understand that this instance may go against the creator's intentions.

Will also agree that "too many BSA dragons" can apply to any BSA dragon, though I understand the concern. I do kind of hope that we'll eventually get an "Available for Color Change" group in the future, especially if we do continue to see color changing BSAs.

A Colour change, or “sprite alt” (not to be confused with “spriter’s alt” 😂) group would be very welcome and indeed remove the 2nd half of my initial comment.

As for the hatchlings, another option would be that they maybe took on the colour of their parents when reaching s2, if parents were on the same scroll, just as a way to collect them.

But again, whilst I’d love to see coloured hatchlings, this thread is essentially asking the artist to make additional sprites, or allow others to edit their work, on top of asking tj for a change.

For this reason alone I personally can’t support the idea until the creator of the breed has their say.

Edited by inghelene

10 minutes ago, inghelene said:

A Colour change, or “sprite alt” (not to be confused with “spriter’s alt” 😂) group would be very welcome and indeed remove the 2nd half of my initial comment.

As for the hatchlings, another option would be that they maybe took on the colour of their parents when reaching s2, if parents were on the same scroll, just as a way to collect them.

But again, whilst I’d love to see coloured hatchlings, this thread is essentially asking the artist to make additional sprites, or allow others to edit their work, on top of asking tj for a change.

For this reason alone I personally can’t support the idea until the creator of the breed has their say.

Hatchlings getting the color from their parents would be cool too! But it would also mean you wouldn't be able to get CB variants.

And yeah, I know it's asking a fair bit. I wouldn't want this to move forward without the creator giving it the OK, but I figured I wouldn't know how they felt about it unless I tried! 

1 hour ago, Rhahatl said:

I'm fine with it only being for hatchlings, as I primarily want a way to get frozen hatchies in different colors. Astraels are also pretty similar in the sense that once you breed them to get the other colors, you never really have to do that again- but I understand that this instance may go against the creator's intentions.

Pyropellis hatchlings aren't coloured.....

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Pyropellis hatchlings aren't coloured.....

Stage 2 hatchlings have orange flames. The idea for this BSA is that you would be able to have S2 hatchlings that match the other adult sprites.

2 hours ago, inghelene said:

My main point being the first half for a reason.

For a game where you spend days to hatch an egg, I don’t see the 7 days wait for a simple colour change to be enough of an issue to override the creator’s design.

Which brings me back to the last point; I think the benefit of this change is so small that I imagine more people would see this as another bsa to scroll past, than those who would prefer to hide how they bred their dragon. 

It's at least a 14 day wait, actually, if you're trying to create a specific lineage that involves having a different flame color than their mate would change them to.  You have to breed to get the correct offspring, then you have to breed again to change the color to the one you want.  And then you end up with an extra offspring and another dragon at the top of the mate list.

Currently seems more inconvenient to me than scrolling past BSA dragons you're not using, especially as you can already simply make a group for dragons that have a color-changing BSA or breed-related ones and then put all the relevant dragons in that group and sort by available for BSA or breeding, as applicable.

That said, while I support this idea in theory it would end up needing consent from the breed creator to be viable.  If the breed creator doesn't like the idea and feels it goes against the spirit of the breed that's that.  But there's also a chance that they may not feel that way and simply didn't think of something like this.  Or that the idea was already shot down at some point during creation for some reason.  We simply can't know unless the creator steps in and says something one way or the other.

But as they have orange flames no matter what colour they will grow up - why would that change ?

19 hours ago, MissK. said:

I wouldn't mind this, but I do feel like it would defeat the purpose of the breeding mechanism a bit.

Agree with the above. I think the BSA would remove some of the charm of what makes pyropellis wyverns unique and a fun breeding challenge.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But as they have orange flames no matter what colour they will grow up - why would that change ?

They grow up orange by default, but as I said in the original post- their lore describes parents often being the first to kindle a hatchling's flames. Through this, I thought that a BSA that would allow an adult Pyropellis to change the color of a hatchling Pyropellis would be cool, lore friendly, and would allow for the hatchlings to have different color variants for freezing.

30 minutes ago, blinkdog said:

Agree with the above. I think the BSA would remove some of the charm of what makes pyropellis wyverns unique and a fun breeding challenge.

Yeah, as I think it over more I do think I'd be fine with just keeping it for the hatchlings. Though again, I do also feel this would be the same sort of situation as Astraels.

I think the difference with Astraels is just that Astraels were released with both the breeding mechanism and the BSA in place, so the creators were on board with that (or designed the breed to be that way to begin with). If Dohaerys wanted the Pyropellis colours to depend only on breeding, this suggestion probably won't be implemented I assume. But if they decide there's no issue with it, cool why not.

13 hours ago, MissK. said:

I think the difference with Astraels is just that Astraels were released with both the breeding mechanism and the BSA in place, so the creators were on board with that (or designed the breed to be that way to begin with). If Dohaerys wanted the Pyropellis colours to depend only on breeding, this suggestion probably won't be implemented I assume. But if they decide there's no issue with it, cool why not.

For sure. To clarify, I don't want to imply that the intent would be the same, just that it would be similar mechanically. As an artist I 100% get it, at the end of the day this is all up to the creator and I would never wanna push their boundaries.