LeeDassin

ANSWERED:Redrawing sprites with credit?

My apologies if this has been answered and I have missed it, I have read through the artist permission post about use of sprites but some of it went over my head so I want to make sure I am not crossing any boundaries.

I have been struggling with drawers block and sometimes when I do that I redraw sprites from games like DragonCave as full illustrations just to get myself in the swing of things. I would love to also post these recreations from sprite to full picture on Instagram with full credit to where the sprite originally came from. 

Where does this fall under the ownership and copyrights? I don't want to use art without permission of the artist in any way and want to make sure they are credited the way they wish. 

I think it would count as fan art. You can check in the artist permission thread to see if the artists allow derivative works of their sprites and contact them accordingly. There are some threads here in other areas of the forum that include other players' interpretations of dragons. If you post on insta, I'd definitely include a link to DC and tag artists if possible as well as include their respective copyright info from here (which you can find in the bottom of the dragon's page). 

Hopefully a mod that's an artist will chime in.

Edited by Jazeki
Lol fixed copyright spelling

I believe a redraw usually counts as regular fanart. The artist permissions thread gives blanket permission if it's non-profit and doesn't involve editing or using the actual sprite (with a few caveats like spriter alts). It is considered courteous to let artists know, but it's not necessary. Jazeki's suggestion regarding credit is probably adequate.

If you plan to add the sprite as a comparison in the image that's a gray area and you'd probably have to check each artist's form for "use off-site as-is", but if you just link the original images that's less concerning.

(Also this probably belongs in the help section)

Thank you both, I will read the artist permission thread and make sure all the correct parties are contacted before anything is put online :)