IzzyCat91

ANSWERED:Male Mistletoe?

Mistletoes are supposed to be an all female breed, no? I just found this guy on mu scroll:

2023-04-11.png.47e43d2d156f87504fc23f7757a385d5.png

Is this a bug, or something special I didn't know about?

Bred Mistletoes could be Male and influence-able, CB = only female. Not sure if it's bug but it happened as least a few years, so I think it's some special setting.

Edit: Thanks seventeendeer and gayrurumon, now I know the reason!

Edited by D-wing

Yep, they're a special case - CB Mistletoes are always female, while bred Mistletoes can be either gender.

I believe this was added as a special feature in order to make them a gender counterpart to the Hollies. All CB Hollies are male (except for certain special raffle prize CB Hollies, which could be influenced female), but bred Hollies can be either gender. I seem to recall this choice was initially made because female Hollies had been bred due to a glitch one time? So TJ decided to make it consistent for all Hollies? But I can't find a source for this, so I might be remembering it wrong.

Either way, yes, Mistletoes and Hollies are the exception to the one-gender rule for most holiday dragons! :)

Yes, bred Mistletoes can be either sex. I believe they're like this so as to be a counterpart to Holly dragons, which can also be either sex when bred. Hollies and Mistletoes are the only dragons that are single gender in the cave, both genders when bred. I typed all this out, but seventeendeer beat me to it by like a second, whoops. Yeah, what she said basically.

I think there might also be some female "cave born" Hollies floating around, which were old raffle prizes apparently (honorable mentions?).

1 hour ago, gayrurumon said:

I think there might also be some female "cave born" Hollies floating around, which were old raffle prizes apparently (honorable mentions?).

That is correct! I happened to get this lineage this past Christmas https://dragcave.net/lineage/Msctv

2 minutes ago, MoonlitEevee said:

That is correct! I happened to get this lineage this past Christmas https://dragcave.net/lineage/Msctv

Wow, that's cool! That lineage almost looks fake to me, even though I'm looking right at it and I know it's real XD Thank you for sharing it.

The female CB Hollies were HM prizes when the raffle was first invented. When HM prizes ended, TJ said there would never be any more.