Cuteporgbb8

ANSWERED:Login sessions displaying devices that I use but the location isn’t where I live?

I was bored so I checked account settings and I saw there was a login sessions button. I checked it and I had 3 devices logged in. There was one that I think was my friend’s computer last year, and there was a Mac OS active now, and my phone. I play on iPad and I know some sites recognise a iPad as a Mac, and it listed the browser I was playing on currently but the location was a city north from here and my phone was supposedly in a city that was south from where I live. Is it “connected” to servers there or something? 

(Also, while I was typing this, to confirm it was actually my phone, I logged in on my phone and the sessions tab said my last session was the time i did this.)

It also checks your supplier. Mine "knows" I am 150 mile away - where their main office is ! Mind you I am on a radio wifi connection which may have something to do with it.

I live on the edge of one city, so often the internet "knows" I am actually in the other city (well on a world-wide map that's probably not a huge error).

As the page mentions, locations are fairly approximate. This is a good thing—it would be bad if any web site you visited could know exactly where you are.

I would say that as long as the location isn't somewhere completely unexpected, you have nothing to worry about. But even then, I've actually seen the forums and other services report my current location as being in Europe (and I am definitely not in Europe).

tl;dr: take locations with a grain of salt.

Actually - when I'm travelling in Continental Europe, my location is always MUCH more accurate than it is when I'm at home ! and I keep getting warning emails "Someone logged into your account in Amsterdam. If this was you that's OK, but..."