Skadi

User-Created tag system with scroll searchability

So this is an add on to every suggestion that wants filters, searching, etc: I want the ability to add user tags to my dragons.

Specifics for the tags:

- I want to choose exactly what I tag a dragon with, and have the ability to name the tags. This way I can tag certain lineages, gen numbers, inbreeding, messies, lineage patterns, dragon ancestry, etc. Therefore, a set number of premade tags like we have now for groups is not what I want. 

- they should be searchable while breeding, using BSAs, and finding dragons on your scroll.

- tags should be private. I don't think other users need to see my tags, as they're for personal organization. If users wish to show off members of a certain tag, public groups are good enough.

- must come with a search feature and the ability to filter by tag

I expressed interest in the inbreeding counter/filter because it sounded useful. But the more I think on it, a proper tagging, searching, and filtering system would be more beneficial to all players. 

Example:

I would tag a 4g purebred tercorn with #pb #4g #lineagename #nomate and be able to find my 4g tercorns with those tags. I could filter out the #lineagename tag to avoid seeing siblings on the breeding page, but search for #pb #4g #nomate to find a mate less 4g pb tercorn on my scroll.

Edited by Skadi

There have been loads of tag suggestions in the past - maybe we should try and find them and link them all here ?

On 10/15/2022 at 11:14 PM, Skadi said:

- tags should be private. I don't think other users need to see my tags, as they're for personal organization. If users wish to show off members of a certain tag, public groups are good enough.

Amazing suggestion! ^^ but personally i will change this to option to hide or show for other users (default: hide)  like we have with nickname on dragon page. So when you want breeed something for trade and second side can choose which dragons will be breeded - you can unhide tags for moment to help s/he find perfect dragons.

Personally, I dunno how much I'd use it because I can use groups for pretty much every organization thing I need, but this sounds useful for people!  Support for some sort of user tagging system!

2 hours ago, Erra said:

Amazing suggestion! ^^ but personally i will change this to option to hide or show for other users (default: hide)  like we have with nickname on dragon page. So when you want breeed something for trade and second side can choose which dragons will be breeded - you can unhide tags for moment to help s/he find perfect dragons.

You can do that with groups!  I've done it several times where I'm breeding to gift something to somebody and ask them what kind of lineage they want and then I toss every dragon that matches their criteria into a group and let them pick the mates if that matters to them.  Like if they want a "pink" colored dragon to be bred with something and they want a 2nd gen, I put all my CB pink-colored dragons of the correct gender in a group and they can pick from there.

Groups also have the advantage of not needing additional tags to clarify "you can't pick this one", especially if you have your own tagging system that's not intuitive to other people.  Or if two people use the same type of tag to mean entirely different things.  Somebody might use "unmated" to mean "this dragon will never have a mate" and another person might use it to mean "I haven't gotten around to breeding it yet", which can cause confusion if you don't remember to clarify.  With a group you can just not include any dragons that you're unable or unwilling to breed among those they can pick from.

19 minutes ago, KageSora said:

You can do that with groups!

Umm not always, but whats wrong with having option to show tags? You dont need to unhide this, but sometimes it can be helpfull (ex. offering to breed any G2+ drg but not CBs xD). So if you dont want unhide you dont need care, and if you want use sometimes you can use simple understandable tags like  "Gen2"/"SAlt"/"PB". And if you like named dragons without codes in names it will be painfull to add dozens of dragons to group every time when you have diffrent criteria.

The idea behind tags is searching within the group, on the breeding page, and for BSAs. I already use groups to sort by breed, but currently I use "tag names" to search within my group. I would not need to come up with unique code tag names if I could tag my dragons as caveborn, mateless, etc.

You can also use tags to streamline putting dragons into groups.

I'm cool with an option to make tags public, tho personally I think it should be opt-in to public tags. I prefer groups for public display. Tags would simply replace my ugly code names.

Final edit: my final reason for tags over code names (which i currently use) is that due to name exclusivity (something i like and not really the topic of this thread), I am concerned about the potential for griefing over code names. a tag system would mean my organization system can't be stolen and thrown out of whack. while it hasn't happened to me, and i doubt it will, it is arguably something that could happen to other users, given how many people do **** like viewbombing and other petty things. it is the Least Concern part of my argument tho.

Edited by Skadi

2 hours ago, Erra said:

Umm not always

Genuine question:  When is a time where you cannot make a group with all eligible dragons for somebody to pick from?

8 hours ago, KageSora said:

Genuine question:  When is a time where you cannot make a group with all eligible dragons for somebody to pick from?

I was wondering that too. I love groups....

13 hours ago, Erra said:

Umm not always, but whats wrong with having option to show tags?

What's "wrong" (inaccurate term) with it is that it needs to be developed and tested. There's a big long list of things which need to be developed + tested on this website, and something which would be largely feature duplication probably isn't going to happen any time soon.

Also that as a general rule TJ seems not to be wild about loads of "options", preferring a game that looks basically the same for all except "in private".

Also, keep in mind this is a very small, simple game.

There isn't a large development team working to maintain and improve it.  Redundancy takes away from the time that could be spent on new features or improving existing ones.

Personally, I like the game being kept simple.

Tags could be very useful, I think, but more for what they themselves could do rather than for redundancy.

The only problem with groups is that you can't filter groups in Breeding and BSA screens. If Groups were updated to have this functionality, tags would not be needed.

This isn't because I want complexity. This is because I want to stop naming my dragons strings of letters and numbers to find them. Simple is whatever but I have 3.6k dragons on my scroll and I simply want to use certain features.

Edited by Skadi

16 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Also, keep in mind this is a very small, simple game.

There isn't a large development team working to maintain and improve it.  Redundancy takes away from the time that could be spent on new features or improving existing ones.

Personally, I like the game being kept simple.

Tags could be very useful, I think, but more for what they themselves could do rather than for redundancy.

THIS !

13 minutes ago, Skadi said:

The only problem with groups is that you can't filter groups in Breeding and BSA screens. If Groups were updated to have this functionality, tags would not be needed.

This isn't because I want complexity. This is because I want to stop naming my dragons strings of letters and numbers to find them. Simple is whatever but I have 3.6k dragons on my scroll and I simply want to use certain features.

It is possible to  filter by generation on the fertility page; it is also possible to filter by generation when adding to a group. so "add dragons" #2g gets ALL your 2g ones.... so one could have groups for the generations.

54 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

THIS !

It is possible to  filter by generation on the fertility page; it is also possible to filter by generation when adding to a group. so "add dragons" #2g gets ALL your 2g ones.... so one could have groups for the generations.

can't filter by "no mate", can't filter by "has a mate", can't filter by "caveborn", can't filter by specific group.

can't filter on the breeding page, either.

your suggestion does nothing for me.

Edit: i also don't want EVERY 2g to show up when I filter #2g. I want *specific* dragons to show up. If I can make a group of mateless 2g tercorns, I want to only show those, not every 2g Tercorn on my scroll.

Edited by Skadi

10 minutes ago, Skadi said:

can't filter by "caveborn",

#CB works for that.

But yes, I would love some kind of tagging system. Groups are not a replacement for tags. For example, if I want to check my Seasonals group for CBs, I can't cross-reference the Seasonals group with my CB group, I have to click on each dragon to check for a lineage, or scroll through all my CBs to find the seasonals.

Edit: Actually, where tags might be the most useful to me would be for zombie fodder. I have a group of zombie fodder set aside, but if I'm not actually in that group, I have no way to see that I've marked a dragon for zombie fodder. I've inadvertently named and/or bred dragons that were meant to be set aside and then it's frustrating to find my fodder group has things I'm no longer willing to kill (or need to un-name).

Similarly, I have a group for messies I never intend to breed, but it's really doing nothing for me. I can't see a dragon is marked "messy" from its own page, or on the breeding page.

Edited by GhostMouse

Yes please, custom tags, and Please make searchable by breeding. I spent a good 6 hours naming all of my dragons and adding a CB if they were caveborn, which to me kinda kills the naming thing:(

4 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

But yes, I would love some kind of tagging system. Groups are not a replacement for tags. For example, if I want to check my Seasonals group for CBs, I can't cross-reference the Seasonals group with my CB group, I have to click on each dragon to check for a lineage, or scroll through all my CBs to find the seasonals.

Actually you can do this with groups--you make a group specifically for CB seasonals.  I've done this for several specific breeds of dragons.  If you don't want to make a group for specific dragons that's a different matter (and it's a valid one to find tags more convenient for that!) but you can very much solve this specific issue using groups.

6 hours ago, Skadi said:

This, specifically, is where I think tags would be most helpful--and what I think should the the focus of discussing the suggestion, rather than as some want to, discussing it as a redundant option for the sake of redundancy.

It would be great to be able to filter groups in search screens, I think it would be logical to be able to do that and I hope we can get an update to allow that someday.  But, barring that, this specifically is where I would want to see custom tags added because there really isn't a current way to do this outside of, as you said, a small number of preset filters.

10 hours ago, KageSora said:

This, specifically, is where I think tags would be most helpful--and what I think should the the focus of discussing the suggestion, rather than as some want to, discussing it as a redundant option for the sake of redundancy.

It would be great to be able to filter groups in search screens, I think it would be logical to be able to do that and I hope we can get an update to allow that someday.  But, barring that, this specifically is where I would want to see custom tags added because there really isn't a current way to do this outside of, as you said, a small number of preset filters.

This is what I would like to see - more filters in more places. I also imagine it would be easier to implement, as on some pages we can already filter by most of the attributes people have mentioned in this thread.

I do hope we can search by groups when breeding or using BSA, which will be similar to the tags proposed in this thread?