sugarfreesugar

So, the Queen Has Died.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II, September 8, 2022.

Discuss.

Since we're talking about a real person who has passed away, and was an important figure in history and politics, however you feel about her and her family, please try to be somewhat respectful. Let's also try not to fight, though debate is allowed. Also feel free to post links to articles you believe to be relevant or important to the discussion as a whole.

Thank you, and long live the king. 

Edited by sugarfreesugar

It is certainly a strange and thought provoking day. However you feel about the monarchy here in the UK the Queen was the only monarch most of us new, not many remember her fathers reign. It is certainly sad when any one passes away and it goes without saying that the strongest condolences go to her family at this sad and difficult time for they haven't just lost a queen or a leader but a mother and a grandmother and so on, she had a long life, privileged as it was she worked hard and long in a life that was layed out for her, under great pressure and expectation im shore.

She was certainly a figure head to many in the nation, i myself am not shore where i stand on the monarchy i waver back and forth as i can see both sides of the argument for and against Britain retaining the monarchy.

But i think today at least i think we can all agree the nation and im shore some of the world should just mourn a life, her life because no matter what you believe, how privileged she may of been compared to many, how much money she brought to the country or took away to sustain her lifestyle whatever the argument a long and often looked to light has gone out and its is a sad and consequential day.

The Uk will never be the same the second Elisabethan age is over (If that's what we call it I'm not actually shore) and we know have a king which seems really strange to say. But looking to the future one thing is for certain we can guarantee much change will come of this in the UK and further a field in the common wealth, money will change in aperance the queen will go out of circulation and the kings portrait will replace her on notes and coins also on stamps,costing a lot of money, the anthem will change and possibly some countries who are loyal to the late queen but not keen on the now king Charles may leave the commonwealth seeing her death as a natural first step to change in becoming a Republic, who can tell, everyonei know has been talking about this all day as it was clear she was very unwell, and definitelyit will be a big topic in the weeks months to come. We are living though history.

Edited by Bloommist

How sad to lose that venerable old lady.  One of the fondest memories of my childhood was of watching her coronation on TV.  Watching this beautiful young woman turn into a queen was like seeing a fairy tale come true.  My mother even bought me a set of paper dolls that were made to commemorate the event.   :)

Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth II.

Rainbow

Memorable speeches

May she rest in peace.   I think one of my first thoughts was about her reunion with Prince Phillip.

It has to be quite a wrench--even though you know it was inevitable that it would happen, it still feels like a pillar of the foundation was knocked askew.  I'm sure that is due to the fact that there are very few alive who have meaningful memories of any monarch before Queen Elizabeth II.

16 hours ago, sugarfreesugar said:

RIP Queen Elizabeth II, September 8, 2022.

Discuss.

Since we're talking about a real person who has passed away, and was an important figure in history and politics, however you feel about her and her family, please try to be somewhat respectful. Let's also try not to fight, though debate is allowed. Also feel free to post links to articles you believe to be relevant or important to the discussion as a whole.

Thank you, and long live the queen. 

Yes - very sad - but - "The Queen is dead; long live THE KING." Just saying. That's the way it is officially announced.

At least her faith will have told her she was going to be with Philip again. That will have comforted her.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes - very sad - but - "The Queen is dead; long live THE KING." Just saying. That's the way it is officially announced.

Oh, yes of course, slipped my mind! Edited now. ❤️

Edited by sugarfreesugar
spelling

10 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

My mother even bought me a set of paper dolls that were made to commemorate the event.

I had one of those, too. Complete with a coach and horses, if I recall correctly.

I had a model of the golden coach complete with horses, a commemorative coin, and several books and mugs that were given out to everyone in a school, in a parish, all sorts of groups I turned out to be in.

I also remember standing by the railroad as George VI's coffin was taken from London to Windsor on the Royal Train. We happened to live close to Windsor (I actually started school in the school Beatrice and Eugenie went to - though it is FAR more upmarket now than it was in my day)  and where we were standing, there was hardly anyone else.

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/windsorhistory/royalfunerals/geovi_funeral52.html

Edited by Fuzzbucket

In Germany, monarchy is a thing of the past, but still you will find very many people here who deeply respected HRH the Queen Elizabeth II very strongly. Her whole life was completely dedicated to her duties as monarch and it is really incredible that she did this taxing job for 70 years without a real break. Thursday was really the end of an era.

Edited by Astreya

As long as I can remember Queen Elizabeth was the only monarch that I knew of, just thank about all of the history she saw and made, there will never be another like her.

RIP Great Queen Elizabeth...

I'm 65 and she's the only monarch I've known.   I always say I'm not a royalist but at this moment in time, I feel like our nation has lost its treasured mother and role model.  I don't think anyone will ever match her but I'd like to see how William would rule.

I feel very bad that she died, even though I am not from the Uk so I have really no say in what happens there. However I still feel terrible that  this happened, I hope the family is taking there own time in mourning and not hiding there emotions to much. However my family is very "happy" she died, claiming she was evil(they get there information from Alex Jones, so I do not take them seriously.) I just hoping everyone who has known her can take their time with mourning her, I felt like crying when I found out. But then my family said that. 😟

On 9/16/2022 at 10:37 PM, Quinney said:

I don't think anyone will ever match her but I'd like to see how William would rule.

Anne could, but won't get the chance. Charles and William - no chance,

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Anne could, but won't get the chance. Charles and William - no chance,

I saw an interview during the events where a man wondered "Can Charles do Queen?" and looked very doubtful.

We had this after 16 years of Angela Merkel - "Can Scholz do Kanzlerin*?"  As things look at the moment - no, not really. IMO Annalena Baerbock would have been the better choice.

*) "Kanzlerin" is the female form of "Kanzler", chancellor.

On 9/9/2022 at 4:37 PM, Astreya said:

In Germany, monarchy is a thing of the past, but still you will find very many people here who deeply respected HRH the Queen Elizabeth II very strongly. Her whole life was completely dedicated to her duties as monarch and it is really incredible that she did this taxing job for 70 years without a real break. Thursday was really the end of an era.

Correct me if I am wrong (and I mean that), but isn't the title of HRH for princesses? It was HM the Queen Elizabeth, right? Sorry, this was my shameless attempt to childishly show of my understanding of royalty. (lol)

I didn't know much about her, but when she died, everyone was so impacted by it that I became curious about what kind of person she was. You can only learn so much from the media, obviously, but I've been watching "The Crown" on Netflix, at least trying to get a sense. I realize that it had to be "Hollywood-ized", but often, I would stop and look up things claimed in that show. For the most part, it is consistent with what has been reported. After learning more, I respect her strength of character and the way she lived by example. It astounds me how much she had to give up simply because she was a monarch.

I do not agree with monarchy at all. The idea that a bloodline entitles one to rule over a country is ludicrous to me. At the same time, I do like how it balances out power in England. Imagine what parliament could do without something to keep it in check.

44 minutes ago, screwygirl said:

Correct me if I am wrong (and I mean that), but isn't the title of HRH for princesses? It was HM the Queen Elizabeth, right?

Not childish at all - you are absolutely correct.

On 9/21/2022 at 8:01 AM, Astreya said:

I saw an interview during the events where a man wondered "Can Charles do Queen?" and looked very doubtful.

We had this after 16 years of Angela Merkel - "Can Scholz do Kanzlerin*?"  As things look at the moment - no, not really. IMO Annalena Baerbock would have been the better choice.

*) "Kanzlerin" is the female form of "Kanzler", chancellor.

I've seen jokes about "They're letting a MAN be Queen now?  That's wild," and it made me laugh!  Charles certainly has a lot to live up to, doesn't he.

Also the "Local man, age 73, finally gets his first job" jokes I've seen about Charles entertained me, too. 

18 hours ago, screwygirl said:

Correct me if I am wrong (and I mean that), but isn't the title of HRH for princesses? It was HM the Queen Elizabeth, right? Sorry, this was my shameless attempt to childishly show of my understanding of royalty. (lol)

Eep! I'm sorry!  Forgive a person who is totally not accustomed to the proper protocol and just tried to be polite and obviously sadly failed. 😅

I do not agree with monarchy at all. The idea that a bloodline entitles one to rule over a country is ludicrous to me. At the same time, I do like how it balances out power in England. Imagine what parliament could do without something to keep it in check.

There are other means to get a Head of State and bestow hir with the adequate powers to keep the parliament in check. In Germany we have the Bundespräsident  (=Federal President) for that who is chosen by a specially called up "Bundesversammlung" (="Federal Assembly") every five years.

Edited by Astreya

6 hours ago, Astreya said:

Eep! I'm sorry!  Forgive a person who is totally not accustomed to the proper protocol and just tried to be polite and obviously sadly failed. 😅

I only knew because I've been watching The Crown on Netflix.

6 hours ago, Astreya said:

There are other means to get a Head of State and bestow hir with the adequate powers to keep the parliament in check. In Germany we have the Bundespräsident  (=Federal President) for that who is chosen by a specially called up "Bundesversammlung" (="Federal Assembly") every five years.

My best friend is from Germany... Lower Saxony. She said she just voted today.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:12 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

Not childish at all - you are absolutely correct.

Thanks!