sugarfreesugar

The Fact Game

NEW GAME NEW GAME NEW GAME!!!

Welcome to The Fact Game! The game about facts!! The rules are as follows:

1. Person #1 tells a cool fact about something!! About anything at all!! But be sure to make it something not a lot of people would know about because--

2. At the bottom of your post, you have to put a number in the sequence following the person before you (i.e, 1, then 2, then 3, ya'll know how to count)! This'll keep track of what fact we're on! EXCEPT--

3. (and the twist!) If the person below a poster knows the fact the person above wrote, the count goes aaaaaaaaall the way back down to 1, and the count starts again!! 

4. Now, this game works on a bit of an honor system; please be honest about your fact knowledge! It's simply more fun that way ❤️

5. General rules: Keep facts SFW, forum sensitive, and ACCURATE please! Also don't shame others for not knowing / knowing certain facts! We all come from different backgrounds, we all have different brains! The aim of the game is learning, so let's learn together!

EXAMPLE:

p1: "Cats have an extra claw on their front paws called a dew claw! This claw can't retract like the others can! 

1"

p2: "I didn't know that! Bears scratch their backs on trees in the woods!

2"

p3: I knew that! Did you know that xyz and so-and-so and whatever?

1"

END OF EXAMPLE

Now, let's have some fun! Let's aim for 100 facts in a row! Happy learning!

Fire ants have been known to group together to form a raft during floods to float along the surface of the water, looking for dry ground! It's as terrifying as it sounds!

1!

Friggin' fire ants.

1.  Ants are repelled by mint oils. 

I hate fire ants.

Hunh. I didn't know that. Looks like I need to go buy some mint oils, then. We are having an ant problem here.

2. Slugs have four noses.

Every day it seems like I learn something new about slugs, and that's one of them!

3. A group of rooks is called a building.

I did not know that and my broken sense of humor finds the idea of a bunch of birds being referred to as a “building” hilarious.

4. Newly emerged ant queens start out with wings. Young males who are ready to breed are called elates, and have wings as well. Once a queen finds a mate and is ready to start a new colony, she will burrow deep underground, never to emerge again, and remove her own wings. The winged male, having served its only purpose, will die shortly after mating.

Edited by StarKaabi
I just realized I just completely unintentionally continued the ant theme without thinking. xD

7 hours ago, sugarfreesugar said:

I totally read that as rocks and thought 'why would you build a building out of rocks?' XD

Didn't know that about ants.

5. Cats have 26 baby teeth and 30 permanent teeth.

10 hours ago, sugarfreesugar said:

Very much thought this was talking about chess pieces xD

6. Two planets orbiting around one another is called a double planet! Afaik, Pluto and Charon together are our only known examples of a double planet, not because Charon's size is almost equal to Pluto's but because Charon has a strong enough gravitational pull to have Pluto technically orbit it, too.

16 hours ago, Vagisto said:

Very much thought this was talking about chess pieces xD

6. Two planets orbiting around one another is called a double planet! Afaik, Pluto and Charon together are our only known examples of a double planet, not because Charon's size is almost equal to Pluto's but because Charon has a strong enough gravitational pull to have Pluto technically orbit it, too.

That's super cool, I never knew that! 

A group of crows is called a "murder".

Ah, sorry, knew that one! Learning the names of groups of animals is actually an interest of mine! That particular one is super funny to me, though :)

1!

Words like "the," "a," and "an," are a type of word in the english language called articles! They're used to express a level of contextual importance of the word it's describing!

Edited by sugarfreesugar
Spelling, spelling, spelling...

Yup. Knew that! ;)

1. The fingerprints of a koala are so indistinguishable from humans that they have on occasion been confused at a crime scene.

Omg, I love that XD You'd think it'd be apes, instead!

2. Guitars use either nylon or steel strings, but you'll be hard-pressed to find nylons by themselves on electrics because they can't carry vibrations for the pickups to... well, pick up. Most people keep their nylons on acoustic and classic guitars, but some (very few!) stubborn players use things called "piezo" pickups to get those warm nylon tones on an electric six-string.

Didn't know that! In fact, I don't actually know all that much about guitars...

3!

The small dot on top of the lower-case "i" or "j" actually has a name! It's called a "tittle!"

I knew that! :D

1. The plastic bit at the end of a shoelace is an aglet.

This is one of the few things I remember watching in Phineas and Ferb (´• ω •`)ノ I didn't know about tittle, though! I remember a phase where I tried to ~stylistically~ leave that out of my writing. Made it even harder to read my notes XD

1. The "pointy parts" of a guitar (which appear on one or both ends where the fretboard meets the body) are called horns!

2. There are birds that have eyes that are naturally a blood red color. 

Yup. I have one that hangs out by my back wall.

1. Chicle for chewing gum comes from the sapodilla tree.

Knew that one! :)

1. Pterosaurs are often called "flying dinosaurs", but this isn't right as pterosaurs are not dinosaurs themselves, but rather only related to dinosaurs. Both dinosaurs and pterosaurs belong to a group called "Ornithodira".

I knew that! Love dinosaur / anti-dinosaur facts ❤️

1!

The book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (aka: one of the greatest books of all time which absolutely EVERYONE needs to read), despite being written in 1953, famously predicted the following:

- Airpods

- "Screen Rooms"

- The internet, and it's present day controversies

- Self-driving cars

- Electronic surveillance

- ATMs

- Artificial Intelligence

Seriously, go read it if you haven't, especially in this year of 2022. I genuinely think it's an actively important read!!

I knew that.

1/

The groove between your nose and your upper lip is called the philtrum.

This has come up in speculations about whether Marjorie Taylor Greene has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

1. Up until the Victorian era, vampires didn't have sex appeal or redeeming qualities. 

And then Victorian people apparently went, “Wait, they’re actually kind of hot...”

2. Flamingos have to turn their head upside-down while they eat! Otherwise they can’t filter out the mud and muck from the water that gets sucked up with their food. They have bristles in the top section of their beak to help them do so.

I live in flamingo country so yep, knew that one. ;)

1. Coffee beans aren't actually beans. They're the pit inside the coffee cherry.

2. There's a kind of very expensive coffee called Kopi Luwak that is uhm... "harvested" by civets.

I'm not sure why there you hesitated on that fact... and I think I'm better off not finding out >-<

3. There's a function in phonetics known as "assimilation" where a phone changes ever so slightly to fit with nearby (or, rarely, distant) sounds. There are two types of assimilation, but regressive (or "anticipatory") is the only one found in English.

So.. is that why mow and how don't rhyme?

4. The world's third-largest wine cellar is right here in Nassau at Graycliff.