AsymDoll13

ANSWERED:IOU?

IOU = I owe you

If I say I accept IOU it means that I am willing to trade my dragon for your promise of catching me/breeding me something later

Let me give an example:

I have an Egg up for trade, I said I want a 4 cb pink hatchlings for it, and I accept IOU. Even if you don't actually currently have 4 cb pink hatchlings to trade with it'd be fine for you to PM me and say you're going to catch 4 cb pinks and hatch them and send them to me ASAP and ask if you can have the egg with this promise.

Example 2: I asked for a 2G prize and you're a prize owner but your attempt today just resulted in no-interest or a prize kin egg, it'd be perfectly fine for you to PM me and say you're going to give me the next egg your prize produces and ask if you can have the egg I have up for trade. 

It'd still be up to me (or whoever setting up the trade) to decide if I'm going to accept your offer though, as far as I know there are many people who only accept IOU from established players

Edited by Moriaty

The reason you might see it in signatures is because IOUs aren't allowed in the actual trading threads (or on the Hub), the only allowed way of expressing to others that you'd be willing to do an IOU is to put it in your sig. Then if someone sees it they can PM you about it. 

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

The reason you might see it in signatures is because IOUs aren't allowed in the actual trading threads (or on the Hub), the only allowed way of expressing to others that you'd be willing to do an IOU is to put it in your sig. Then if someone sees it they can PM you about it. 

^ IOUs aren't permitted on the forum! Since it tends to lead to trouble if promises are broken and mods can't help, it simply isn't allowed. However you can still let other people know you're okay with it in your signature and conduct them in private, completely at your own risk!