StaticStray

How do you name your dragons?

I'm curious how other people come up with their names. What are some of your favorite names you've given dragons?

I literally just string together syllables from the code the dragon already has until I get something that sounds vaguely name-like :P It makes for some really weird but unique dragon names. Some of my favorite names that surprisingly weren't taken are Wresk, Arastus, Diphera, or Idren :)

I usually name my dragons pretty randomly, sometimes I use its species or color for inspiration. I've even used TV channels. Also a couple I translated into Latin. 

With 5000 plus dragons I’ve got a little bit of everything. 
words, phrases, song titles, colors, shapes, games titles, movie titles, anime titles, all sorts of characters, emotions, holidays, seasons, code based, people’s names, things I like…

sometimes I have to play around with the spacing or characters 0/o _ ‘. I also slap mr Mrs lord lady etc in front of names. Or I’ll put a little something behind them like such and such of such and such. 
Any thing… and I mean anything to get the job done as long as it is game appropriate. I have zero shame. Haha

once upon a time when I didn’t have as many I’d try and name them something that would sound cool if I called for them in battle. 

I give all my regular dragons "fantasy" type names, often inspired by their codes.  Examples: Sokhayo, Gorcremuth, P'Aktimi, Dursandir, Jaedrix.

There's a vague sort of system as to what letter the name starts with:

* All of a breed will have names that start with the same letter

* Breeds that share a starting letter will have some common trait(s)

* Bred dragons get "FDL" after their names if they're a lineage I'm not working on right now

I like mixing things up, though, so my holiday dragons are named differently. 

Most of the Christmas dragons have a line from a carol or Christmas song for a name.  Examples: Amid the Winter's Snow, Come A-Wassailing, The Snow Lay Round About, Of Yuletide Treasure. 

Valentines often have names about love, or names from poetry.  Examples: Yearning Hearts, Tres Romantique, Mr Right, Far More Amore, Love Seeketh Not.

Halloweens tend to get spooky names, sometimes based on a characteristic of their breed.  Examples: Fearful Regard, Frightful Fog, Skulltree, Blind Demon, Mortueris.

Edited by ferdelance

with the exception of lyrical lineages and punny sentence names that i felt like matched the parents/code/what have you, i usually just go with two words, or more often, an adjective and a noun. adverb + verb, adverb/verb/noun, all that sort of stuff. that, and fandom names :P usually it's things like "water crumble" and "creative quip". not the most innovative thing on the planet, but i really like it, as i can mix parent names if i do a lineage with all dragons owned on my scroll. 

Multiple sources. I've used name generators, names inspired by games like World of Warcraft or The Sims, lists of archaic words, adult beverages, song lyrics, lines from movies, you name it.

Some of my favorites just came out of my fevered brain, like Snacks McGibbons and Squishy Pockets.

Others are combinations of interesting words, like Orbital Buffet and Supercluster Flytrap.

Sometimes being thwarted in a name choice can lead to good ideas, like when I wanted Wild Endeavour (a Doctor Who reference) and it was taken. Instead I came up with Wild Persuasion and Fearless Endeavour, which had a similar flavor, and from that I got Bold Veracity, Rising Felicity, etc etc.

several words or pseudo-sentence that describes their characteristic : for example, since nexus dragon has half ice-half fire mana on their body my nexus male have name 'hot guy and cool guy' .