__graveyard__

Holiday Mini Games Archive

I’d prefer an archive of holiday games on the main site. There are plenty of solutions for not messing up old designs, and old mini-games contribute a lot of lore (even if non-canon). I’d love the option to replay some of these games, and it makes sense to keep them viewable/playable even after events end. 

Edited by Niyaka

I'm in total support of this idea as well! I'm more in favor of an on-site archive (as long as original designs from any of the design-your-own games aren't easily affected of course), but even an off-site archive would be nice. :)

For the Holiday event games at least, they're already part of the advent calendar and returned last year. Planning for that event hasn't started yet, but as I've stated before, I'm hoping it'll return as a yearly thing.

I think keeping past events available only while in-season is the right cadence. It provides something to look forward while still having several weeks where things can be accessed.

I actually found something on the subject that I was about to post something new about!

@TJ09, I'd like to put in a specific request for things like Mana Alchemy - er, and especially, specifically for Mana Alchemy.  I hear you on the cadence and it's nice to be able to access stuff through the advent calendar, but for your consideration: 

1. Experience and content-wise, there is nothing holiday-linked, story-linked, season-linked, or team-play-linked about Mana Alchemy.
  2. Mana Alchemy is complex enough to be intrinsically entertaining over a longer time playing.  It would work with a high score counter (for individuals, though I guess a wall of fame could be cool too).
  3. Mana Alchemy may have started out as derivative of the 2001 game Alchemy!but it's different enough from anything out there, including the game that inspired it, that there's no close replacement for it.
  4. I'd be willing to bet there are many other folks who also lean on such games to soothe their anxiety, etc, around here.  I ended up not working as hard at the team stuff to hang out more with this game that just made me think enough not to get bored with it long after I had earned all the points for unlocking other advent stuff that I could.  With more people than ever are dealing with stuff that needs decent distractions after the last couple years with COVID, such games are helpful, and it particularly stinks to lose them.

I think that any game of similar value independent of the holiday event that spawned it deserves to be a game and not just a minigame.  Access to it could be a reward for some cave milestone or something - maybe a total cave population reward after you hit the max egg/hatchling limits.  Or it could just be, I donno, nice.  And as good as any other page on the site for ad revenue and site traffic stats. 

We have Cats Organized Neatly for the tetris-ish puzzle minigame, and the RPGs are archived, and the Snow Wars forts require team efforts in short bursts.  You can decorate all kinds of things through picrews and paperdoll-ish sites.  

But if there's a close corollary to Mana Alchemy, I haven't found it.