Shirubia

Snow Wars 2 not loading

Every time I try to load the minigame of Snow Wars 2 it, well, stops working.

I have tried opening in an incognito tab, closing all tabs beforehand, clearing cache and opening in a new window but so far nothing. Not sure if I am the only one with this problem =/ Load bar gets up to 80% loaded more or less before the ‘Aww Snap’ message appears.

If your entire tab is crashing it's likely due to an outdated browser or graphics drivers.

But unfortunately there's not much I can do because no web page should even be able to cause the tab to fully crash.

Try another browser ? I have to do that for one of the old games we can still play.

53 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

If your entire tab is crashing it's likely due to an outdated browser or graphics drivers.

But unfortunately there's not much I can do because no web page should even be able to cause the tab to fully crash.

This is from a tablet, Chrome its up to date according to it.

Will try on another browser (Safari). Maybe it will work. EDIT: Didn’t work.

Edited by Shirubia

1 minute ago, Shirubia said:

This is from a tablet, Chrome its up to date according to it.

Will try on another browser (Safari). Maybe it will work.

Is this on an iPad2 or other older iPad?

Normal Ipad gen 6. (Got it on january of last year).

Just in case, mentioning I have had so far no problem with any of the other events. Tried setting on Desktop site and all save SW2 work fine on either mode.

EDIT: It works now as of 5:36 caventime!

Edited by Shirubia

I have a 12.9” iPad Pro 2018  running iOS 12 and Snow Wars 2 is working fine for me. No crashing.  The music loads, the event loads normally.

I also tested this on my 2016 MacBook Pro running 10.14.6, and on my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 12 and everything works fine. 

The only test issue was when I ran it on my old iPhone 6, which only has 16GB of memory.  I waited for a bit, and eventually the music started to play.  The game itself did not work; however, I was really surprised it worked at all, since there’s hardly any free space on that phone. XD That phone has 13.3 GB out of 16 GB used. While the phone is on iOS 12, memory made a difference in performance.

iPad mini 3 = no luck. Safari tries, fails, "encountered a problem". Firefox focus redirects to login(?). Firefox tries, reloads, seemingly endlessly. Chrome tries and "aw snap".

iOS 12.4.4, 13+ gigs free.

Same thing on my iPhone SE. iOS 13.3, with 31gb free. First time going to DC on the phone too.

Edited by ArgentiAertheri

On 1/3/2020 at 10:14 PM, ArgentiAertheri said:

iPad mini 3 = no luck. Safari tries, fails, "encountered a problem". Firefox focus redirects to login(?). Firefox tries, reloads, seemingly endlessly. Chrome tries and "aw snap".

iOS 12.4.4, 13+ gigs free.

Same thing on my iPhone SE. iOS 13.3, with 31gb free. First time going to DC on the phone too.

It is not just the free space on your device to consider (although that is important as well); it is also the RAM.  The iPad Mini 3 has 1 GB of RAM and your iPHone SE has 2 GB RAM: my iPhone 6s Plus struggled with 2 GB RAM and could only manage the music but not the game itself.  My iPhone 8 Plus has 3 GB RAM and manages it, albeit it needs about 30 seconds of loading time for the music to start playing and the game to load.  My iPad Pro has 4 GB of RAM and has no issues. My MacBook Pro has 16 GB of RAM and also has no issues. 

Edited by missy_
fixed link

I wonder if there's a minimum screen size or something too? Because it fails on my phone fast, within seconds fast. Loading bar zooms along, nearly full, auto-refresh, screen basically blinks DC and "a problem repeatedly occurred". No music, but also no struggle, just straight to nopeville.

11 hours ago, ArgentiAertheri said:

I wonder if there's a minimum screen size or something too? Because it fails on my phone fast, within seconds fast. Loading bar zooms along, nearly full, auto-refresh, screen basically blinks DC and "a problem repeatedly occurred". No music, but also no struggle, just straight to nopeville.

It is your RAM, if nothing else. My device which failed and your device which failed both have the same RAM, 2 GB. 

Older devices don't have the hardware specs that newer devices have, so for them to fail to load resources in various ways would not be surprising. 

Checking the display specs, the iPhone SE manages 1136x640 (326ppi) where the iPhone 6S Plus can do 1920x1680 (401ppi).  My iPhone 8 Plus, which has the identical display resolution as the 6s Plus, loads the game fine--so as a standalone measure, the display specs don't appear to affect it.  But having a resolution of 1136x640 could add to the already-present RAM issues with your device. 

On 1/6/2020 at 5:01 PM, UnicornMaiden said:

It still isn't loading on my tablet, but it is working on my desktop which is much older than the tablet.

Desktops generally have more RAM than tablets.

On 1/6/2020 at 10:43 PM, Uther_Pendragon said:

I have an iPhone 6s Plus and I can load and play, it just takes quite a long time for the initial loading.

Yours may have more free space than mine; that could be another reason mine didn't load.  Mine has 16GB total memory, but most of it is filled.  

Or it could simply be that in some places these things work better than others. Some people have ISPs who are awkward about things; some places the signal is dodgy, which makes tablets work less well, however much RAM they have.. Desktop PCs will always have the edge, let's face it, but there are many factors at play and trying to guess at other people's systems etc is not very effective.

If I am in the same location, using the same Wi-Fi and same ISP, and the only thing that changes is the device, I do think that sort of feedback is effective for somebody trying to troubleshoot this issue.

I listed possibilities—I don’t know what causes it. But some good guesses are available memory, RAM, cache where applicable, age of device, software version, graphics card (as TJ mentioned), browser, etc.  Of course location, Wi-Fi, ISP, all of that will have an effect as well. I had the advantage of being able to check more than one device at the same location. 

Hardly matters now; the event is over until hopefully next year! XD