blockEdragon

How large do you picture DC dragons being?

The term "large dragon" seems to be played fast and loose on DC, ranging from meaning the size of a blue whale to about as large as a bear, that's not necessarily a bad thing but it does make me wonder what most people consider to be an average sized DC dragon.

I doodled a quick image of how big I think the dragons are on average.

1076181399_HowbigareDCdragons.thumb.png.fc81de037c986cec3984866f7bd7d52e.png

I personally picture the dragons as quite large overall. With most measuring well over the average human at the shoulder. Small dragons being about the height of a human, give or take, and large being able to easily eat a cow on it's own. With some breeds growing to truly massive sizes that would dwarf the "large" category dragon (I couldn't fit that into the image) and a few micro dragons that make the small dragon look big by comparison, I picture the micro sized dragons as very few and far between though.

How big do you think the dragons are? I'm genuinely curious what everyone's personal head-cannons on this subject are.

Edited by blockEdragon

I usually see them as somewhere under 120 pixels (inclusive).

I visualize the small ones as about the size of a cat, the medium as big as my Jeep, and the large ones as big as a school bus.

I never put much thought to this before but, to me, I consider average dragons as big (or a little bigger) as an elephant. 

There are really small dragons like the Cavern Lurkers, for example, and I'm really surprised about their size since they look so powerful.

I really like to think my favorite breed so far (Xenowyrms) to be as big as a building, maybe 10 - 15 stories ^^U

Now I wonder how big are the Omen Wyrms? I wish they'd be bigger than what I picture the Xenowyrms but they're confused as dead trees so I suppose they're big but not gigantic? T_T? 

Anyway, to me an average DC Dragon could be bigger than an elephant and the large sized ones as big as a building: GoN's, Sinos, Zyus, Xenos, Desipis, Marrows, Omens, Heart Stealers (A gigantic Heartstealing would be just awesome, I'm so in love with them!), Seasonals, Two Headeds, etc, etc... 

On 12/30/2019 at 11:41 AM, Kegluneq said:

I never put much thought to this before but, to me, I consider average dragons as big (or a little bigger) as an elephant. 

There are really small dragons like the Cavern Lurkers, for example, and I'm really surprised about their size since they look so powerful.

I really like to think my favorite breed so far (Xenowyrms) to be as big as a building, maybe 10 - 15 stories ^^U

Now I wonder how big are the Omen Wyrms? I wish they'd be bigger than what I picture the Xenowyrms but they're confused as dead trees so I suppose they're big but not gigantic? T_T? 

Anyway, to me an average DC Dragon could be bigger than an elephant and the large sized ones as big as a building: GoN's, Sinos, Zyus, Xenos, Desipis, Marrows, Omens, Heart Stealers (A gigantic Heartstealing would be just awesome, I'm so in love with them!), Seasonals, Two Headeds, etc, etc... 

Trees can get pretty big, redwoods for example. Plus they seem pretty bulky so even if they're not huge they'd still be large for whatever their size category might be in, considering that they supposedly regularly attack people i'd assume that they're quite large, then again boars attack people a LOT and they're about the size of a dog so it could go either way.

I imagine desipis as being really, really big they could easily hunt just about anything so there's not a lot of point to evolving small besides maybe using up less mana, but i'd assume the cost for mind powers is the same no matter your size. Xenowyrms are confirmed by the spriter to be massive from what I remember (I might be misremembering), I picture them as having a head the size of my small doodle derg's body. Sinomorphs are another breed I picture as being titans, not zyus though, I picture them as being a little bigger than the large doodle. The GoN I picture as a titan among titans, able to overpower basically anything with might and magic.

I don't think heartstealing dragons are that big though, it would be cool but their whole thing is stealth and squeezing into the homes of dragons and even humans, if they where huge that would be borderline impossible. Marrows I pictured as medium because they feed exclusively on carion, which is probably not able to maintain anything too large.

Edited by blockEdragon

I imagine pygmies to about the size of a large dog, with small dragons being roughly horse-sized. Mediums are maybe elephant size, and large are like... well, I've never seen a blue whale, but that's sort of what I imagine - 200 feet in length, tail not included.

I feel like since there are so many dragons in this world, that not very many would grow to like the Mythical Monster Behemoth size of legend. Like, dragons the size of Smaug would be very rare because they all have to compete for resources.

real world animals (both modern and prehistoric) can (and have) grow to ludicrously huge sizes, so i don't see why they couldn't here ;D

a khusa is ~12ft at the shoulder; a modern male human of average height standing normally would reach at most to a khusa's elbow.

kohrakis are built on giant azhdarchid proportions; they would be at minimum triple the height of the aforementioned average height male human, with a wingspan in the 30-40ft range and a weight likely in the 350-550lb range. 

for me, both khusa and kohrakis are about average - 2-4 times the average height of a male human. i always kinda imagined mints and other small dragons as being like car sized - think VW beetles - around as tall as average male human and weighing 1-2 tons. giant dragons i feel could reach the giant sauropod range.

There was a lot of speculation back in this thread, if you're curious!

But it's lain dormant for a while, so recent dragons aren't featured at all, really. ^_^

@Infinis Thanks a bunch for the trivia! :D