JavaTigress

Options for Sorting Groups

I was just thinking how nice it would BE if we had the option to sort our groups, the way we do with our dragons.

Honestly I am unsure how much work it would be to implement, but I envision this working rather similarly to sorting dragons. ( We already have a view screen that lets us LOOK at all our groups and whether they are public, private or HIGHLIGHTED groups... Why shouldn't we be able to sort the order also? It doesn't quite make sense to me that we CAN'T when we can sort dragons.... and as someone who has put in a LOT of effort on her custom sort, I'd LOVE to have the option. There could be sort by name, by ID number or a custom sort. As it is I have resorted to using numbers at the beginning of group names ( look at my scroll and you will see what I mean...) to enforce the order I want, which while it works, is fiddly when I make a new group that has to be added into the lineup... plus I don't ENTIRELY like the numbers in there. I dunno maybe a dumb idea but something my brain was playing with.

Edited by JavaTigress

I fully support this because ummm well..

An idea is that it could work like a drop down menu or something like this:

image.png.e305cfbaac2cebd1704327410e2261e0.png - so an overall group (e.g. codes) would reveal sub-groups (all-caps, all-number, all-lowercase.)

Google Chrome screenshot but hopefully you get the idea

3 minutes ago, lovecats99 said:

I fully support this because ummm well..

An idea is that it could work like a drop down menu or something like this:

image.png.e305cfbaac2cebd1704327410e2261e0.png - so an overall group (e.g. codes) would reveal sub-groups (all-caps, all-number, all-lowercase.)

Google Chrome screenshot but hopefully you get the idea

I could see that working!

As I said, I am SORT of surprised we don't have the option already...

I use the number system, too, @JavaTigress and while it works, I'd prefer to be able to sort them manually. I definitely support this. I could also get behind @lovecats99's suggestion of subgroups within groups. For those who have heaps of groups, I can see how that would be useful. :) I'm not sure I'd use that feature myself, but I'm sure a lot of people would. 

I'm a big supporter for subgroups within groups. It would make bigger lineages much more easier to manage if I could have a single group for the whole lineage, and then a subgroup for each generation of the lineage.

Also down with sorting groups. I don't have a lot myself, but I can understand the need to organize everything as efficiently as possible.

I've been hoping for this option since the groups were released :) The alpha-numeric header system gets clunky. 

I never even thought of using numbers to force a certain order, that's smart! I would definitely love a way to sort the order of our groups, and would doubly-love some sort of subgroup mechanism.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:18 AM, HeatherMarie said:

I never even thought of using numbers to force a certain order, that's smart! I would definitely love a way to sort the order of our groups, and would doubly-love some sort of subgroup mechanism.

Agreed. I wasn't ENTIRELY sure if I would use subgroups IF they became a thing, at first, BUT the more i think about the possible uses, the more the idea grows on me.

This has been asked in the past, and is what resulted in the groups being sorted alphabetically. Outside of that, I don't see a strong reason that it would be particularly valuable for the effort.