XLaurentX

Sabaibarugēmu - Survival Game Against The Gods

A group this size is probably sufficient, but if you'd like more people I am fine with it.

I am loving this. Your characters are amazing!

So, should we wait for more people or should I start us off?

((I think we should start soon. Where are we gonna begin in? Are our characters like, in one neighborhood together?))

((You can start wherever you want. I wouldn't say same neighbourhood but in the same town or close to the town.

I am not naming the town because I suck with that.)

The town was quiet as always, the only commotion coming from groups of schoolchildren on their way. The cold morning air brought some fog to the town, but it wasn't thick enough to conceal anything. It was meant to be summer, but the purge had left the climate unstable; snow came down whenever it wanted and rain poured in the dead of winter.

Axis pulled the hood of her jacket further over her head. She was sitting on a small cliff overlooking the town, mind swimming in thought.

"I wonder when the first god will appear... and when us chosen ones will find each other. Or if we'll find each other."

She heaved a sigh and looked at the town, resting her arm on her knee.

((Phew. Writing intro posts is tough. I don't think I'll be writing as much in the future, but for now, I kinda felt that this would be important in showing Enyabas character.))

Enyaba sat on the veranda of her old, dilapidated house, rocking back and forth in her favourite chair. The elderly woman watched the schoolchildren cross the street, knitting a sweater with bright yellow yarn as she did. The cool morning weather as well as the thin fog had caused her old bones to ache in her sleep. Unable to stay on the thin mattress, Enyaba had elected to sit outside on her front porch and have her breakfast. A black coffee with two slices of toast sat on a small plate resting on the bannister her chair was stationed next to. As she lifted the cracked porcelain cup to take a sip, she noticed one of the children in a group was hanging near the back, away from her friends. Upon closer observation, the little girl seemed to be shivering. Enyaba looked down at the yellow sweater in her lap, before getting up and hobbling towards the child.

"Hello, sweetheart. Wonderful morning, isn't it?"

"Y-yes. G-good morning, ma'am."

"Of course it is. Here, this is for you. You seem to be struggling."

Enyaba held the yellow sweater out towards the clearly unsettled girl. Her shivering seemed to have intensified, now being both from the cold and the nervousness of interacting with a strange old lady. The child tentatively shot out a hand to grab the sweater.

In that one second, Enyaba's expression darkened. The kind smile she had been wearing faded, replaced with a disappointed frown. With inhuman speed, the dreaded wooden spoon of learning found its way to the girl's hand, rapping down hard on her fingers. The child yelped and retracted her hand as the old woman glowered at her from above. Through yellowed teeth, Enyaba growled at the child that had forgotten her manners.

"What a rude little one. What did your parents teach you to say when given a gift?"

"T-thank you. T-thanks, m..m-ma'am."

The girl lowered her gaze in fear, wincing once again as Enyaba lifted the Sweater and put it over the girls head. She was smiling once more, as she gave the little girl a compassionate pat on the head. The girl stuck her small limbs through the wide arm-holes of the one size too big sweater.

"That's much better, isn't it, love? Run along now. Go join your friends. Stay warm in that sweater, hm?"

With a nervous nod of her head, the schoolgirl squeaked a final word of thanks, before running back to join her friends. Enyaba returned to her rocking chair to knit, humming a tune as she did. She decided to go for a purple sweater this time.

Edited by Riath

Within the woods, right near the outskirts of a small town, was a lake. At the top of a cliff overlooking the lake was a small group of teenagers, human and monster alike. They were all observing a small, faintly glowing shard of crystal. Happenstance saw to it that the one holding the shard slipped, and, in the act, dropped the mysterious stone into the water below. The crystal cracked on a jagged rock poking out of the lake, and dissapeared in a flash of light. The cluster of teens looked down at the lost treasure, and the wonder on their faces melted to dissapointment, which melted into horror as a pillar of water erupted from the lake below. They ran, leaving none to bear witness to the birth of one who, in time, would keep them, and all else, from disappearing forever.

Cas opened his eyes for the first time. He wasn't even alive for a second, and was already angry. Why am I being assigned to fight a god when I don't even know what a god is? In his anger, Cas shot a jet of water at an unfortunate bird who was flying too close to the surface. He heard a splashing noise, but didn't bother turning around to look. He saw something more intruiging. On another cliff at the other end of the lake, was a creature that looked more or less like him. Cas flitted over to the being and found out that they were, in fact, a lot bigger than he was. He saw that they were looking down at a cluster of several structures. "Hey," Cas said, turning to the creature. "Do you know what a god is?"

At the sound of a voice Axis slowly opened her eyes, looking at the small man in front of her.

It's definitely a demon of sorts but I'm not sure what kind of demon.

"A god?" She tilted her head slightly. "Gods are superior beings with immense power. There was a time when humans worshipped them, some of them still do, but after the purge years ago people, both human and demon, fear them." She blinked her blue eyes, finding it difficult to explain or even describe a god.

"It's difficult to explain what they are since the world doesn't know a lot about them. All we know is that Telharmonious, one of the gods, caused the purge years ago to stop the war between humans and demons. I also know that a god named Rahka, who wears a baboon cloak to hide his face, is going around choosing humans and demons to fight against the gods for Earth's fate. That enough information for you?"

((I just had a disturbing thought, Charon should be able to see all the people killed in the purge shouldn't he? He probably ignores them))

Charon was lying in bed gazing up at the cieling, painted to appear like a night sky, but right now looked just like an unappealing splatter of brown muck as the sunlight shone in on it. Charon sat up and yawned. He'd managed to get a couple hours sleep last night which was good. Scratching his head he looked over towards his desk where an older man was sitting drinking a cup of some liquid, chatting with a woman some years younger than him.

"Can you believe kids these days? Back when I was alive we were up and working the fields well before sunrise," The man said gruffly before taking a sip.

"Mmm yes, but this isn't farmland. Still the young should be up enjoying life instead of wasting away in bed," The woman responded.

Charon rubbed the back of his head before lifting the covers up and walking dully over towards them. As he reached the desk his hands passed through the man and pressed the button on his kettle. Moving over to the shelf above his desk he grabbed a large coffee plunger and an equally large tub of crushed coffee. He opened up the tub and looked inside.

"Huh... might need to crush some more tonight..." He said, before pouring a large amount into a measuring jug.

"Ugh, look at him, who drinks that much coffee!? Absolutely disgusting" The woman said staring at the large amount Charon had heaped out.

"Not only that but to think he would keep it in his room!? Kids these days, I shall never understand them," The man replied.

The kettle finished boiling and Charon poured it out into the measuring jug, until it was full of the dark brown liquid. Grabbing a red thermos from his bag leaning at the side of the desk, Charon poured the liquid in. What remained he poured into a mug sitting within the woman's hand. He took a sip of the coffee, it burned his tongue.

"Why do I always do that..?" He asked himself, as he opened a small fridge in his room and promptly poured some milk into his mug. He then took another sip of the drink and smiled appreciatively. As he did an eerie glowing blue-green circle appeared on the floor of his room. The man and woman looked down in surprise as a skeletal hand rose out finding solid ground outside the circle and then pulling the rest of it's body up.

Standing there was a skeleton with glowing eyes, the same shade as the circle, what looked like a weathered tuxedo sat on it, hiding most of the bones bar the skull, hands and feet. The skeleton then opened up the wardrobe in the room and began laying out clothes on Charons bed.

Placing his mug down Charon walked over and threw on the shirt and pants, before the skeleton helped him put on his coat.

"Thanks Maurice, fill my bag please, and shoo away those two for me would ya," Charon said. The skeletons skull snapped to the left, the bone breaking in the process causing the head to tilt to the left as its eyes gazed at the two figures seated on Charons desk. Charon then walked out of his room, his mug in his hand.

((Trying to find a good font for undead speak is hard))

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

The needles clacked together as Enyaba finished her sixth sweater that morning. She placed the orange one she had just made on the railing next to her as she rocked back and forth. Most of the kids had gone to school by now, and she had no intention of offering the tardy children any warm clothes as they sprinted to get there before the bell rang. She scowled as a small, blonde schoolboy sprinted down the road to school. Late, of course.

Enyaba put down her knitting needles, and sipped her coffee again while staring out across the neighbourhood. Her mind drifted to several different things. Her cats, her knitting, her dreams. Speaking of dreams... hadn't she been through a particularly strange one the night before? She tried to recall the contents of the strange vision.

Oh, right! There had been a baboon-cloaked person had spoken to her in her dream. It had called itself Rahka, and claimed that it was looking for both humans and demons to fight for earth. And Enya was one of the chosen. After it had stated that earth would be purged if they lost, Enya had gotten bored and annoyed. She had started scolding the 'rude young chap' for telling such ridiculous tales. She started lecturing it about showing respect to elders, and tried to smack it with her spoon.

Then she woke up, her bones aching from the cold. It had been a strange dream, but she had had worse ones. Enyaba finished her coffee and went back inside her home for a refill.

((I just realized that Charon and Axis are the only ones who are actually close in age. Huh.

And that's a lot of people who would be seeing.

I can't stop imagining Enyaba getting a nekomata))

((Well I planned to have him closer to Walters age but it seemed too young, and I'd rather him be post school.

I wouldn't imagine all of the dead would be just milling about like a horde, some ghosts like to go indoors or travel and see the places that they couldn't while alive.

...Laurent your signature is making me nervous about this RP

I had some questions as well actually, are powers common among people and are they used on a day to day basis, or are they mostly kept hidden by the possessors?

Riath would you be fine with having Charons family and Enyaba being neighbours? She can be mad that he still hasn't got a job after finishing school biggrin.gif ))

((Well I planned to have him closer to Walters age but it seemed too young, and I'd rather him be post school.

I wouldn't imagine all of the dead would be just milling about like a horde, some ghosts like to go indoors or travel and see the places that they couldn't while alive.

...Laurent your signature is making me nervous about this RP

I had some questions as well actually, are powers common among people and are they used on a day to day basis, or are they mostly kept hidden by the possessors?

Riath would you be fine with having Charons family and Enyaba being neighbours? She can be mad that he still hasn't got a job after finishing school biggrin.gif ))

((Ooh, that's a great idea! And sure, I'm alright with it. She can be the naggy old woman.))

((This signature of mine is actually from early 2015. Don't pay it any mind.

I'll go change it now. It's been long overdue to be changed))

"Rahka...?" Cas inquired. Wasn't that the weirdo who told him about the thing? "So, does this Rahka tell people when they're, uh, not awake?" He asked the giant, sitting on her shoulder. "Because I think I had something like that a few minutes ago."

"Yeah.. he tells people in their dreams..." Axis' ears twitched as she just registered what the man had said.

"You're one of the chosen ones?!" She jumped up from her spot, almost falling from the cliff as she did so.

"A person named Rahka came to you in your dreams and told you that you had to fight demons to save Earth?!" Axis was sure her loud questions had woken the entire town.

Cas was thrown from his perch as the giant stood up. He managed to recover, luckily, but chose to sit atop a nearby mushroom instead. "I guess you could call it a dream? I mean, I've only been alive for a few minutes, so I don't know," He explained, yawning. "Does it count as a dream if you've never fallen asleep?"

Edited by MrSpyro

Stepping into the kitchen Charon popped some bread in the toaster and took another sip of his coffee. There weren't any other spirits in the room thankfully and he appreciated the quiet.

As he sat he thought about the dream he'd had. It's rare for him to dream, mainly because he gets woken up so quickly and never falls into a deep enough sleep to induce the REM. Yet this dream seemed to last a while and he retained full memory, down to the last detail.

The toast poppoed up and Charon pushed the thoughts away and promptly buttered the bread before heaping the remainder of the raspberry jam they had on it.

"Will need to ask Mum or Dad to pick some up," He said to himself. His parents had already left, both having long working hours and early starts. Charon sliced up the bread and brought it out the front on a plate. The last of the students running off to school were rushing passed his house. Charon munched on his toast slowly as he watched them, feeling somewhat superior to them without his need to go to school anymore.

He watched as occasionally children would pass through figures walking around. There weren't too many spirits that hang around this area, at least not any that stayed. Most spirits would stay a week at the longest before moving on to somewhere else and in a small neighbourhood of a larger town such as this there weren't many to begin with.

He glanced over to the house next-door to his, as always sitting there was Miss Enyaba, knitting away. He decided he'd walk back inside to finish his breakfast before her devilish glare reached him.

Enyaba sighed, as she remembered the good old days. With her twelve cats. She sipped her newly refilled cup of coffee as she went back to her past. Her first cat, yogurt. He had brown and white fur, and always loved climbing trees. Ah, how she missed her kitties. If only t-

Enyaba woke up from her kitty daydream. She turned around, spotting the next door neighbour walking back into his house. She shot him the most judgemental look she could manage, her eyes disapprovingly looking him up and down. She paid particular attention to his pale skin and blonde hair. She prepared herself to talk some sense into the boy. After all, what kind of child mooches off their parents after leaving school? He was old enough to be a contributing member of society, and yet he wasn't! She frowned, preparing the script for the long tirade she was about to go off on as she called out to him.

"Oi! Laddie! Get back out here, I have a few words I ought to say to you!"

Charon froze as he was halfway through his door. He looked down, his mug was empty.

Charon placed it on the table and stepped outside, pulling out his mask and raising it to his mouth, there were two small cannisters poking out of the side at the base, with the filters placed in the 'nostrils'. He took in a huff before stepping back out to see his neighbour.

"Good morning mam... how are you today?" He asked, his voice muffled somewhat by his mask as he continued to slowly breathe in the caffeinated air.

"Did you get much sleep?" He asked her, before finally removing the mask off his face.

"Excuse me one moment... I need to pour another cup". He walked back into his room, Maurice had returned back to his plain, Charons bag, filled with todays supplies was lying packed on his bed, and the two loafers were nowhere to be seen.

He didn't necessarily need to consume caffeine 24/7 but in the morning he found he required it a lot more than at later parts of the day. Probably, he wagered, because he hadn't consumed anything during his "sleep".

With a fresh mug, he didn't need any milk this time as the pot had cooled down enough, he walked back out toe his veranda and leaned against the railing looking towards his neighbour.

"Sorry about that... so... how are you?" He asked politely but with a dullness in his voice.

Enyaba had been just about to begin her long tirade, when Charon put on his mask and walked back into the house. Her nostrils flared, as she mentally added several more sentences regarding that. When Charon walked back out, she got up, walking towards him. Taking a deep breath, Enyaba began her tirade.

"First of all, boy, is that any way to treat an elder? Hmm? Walking off like that before I have a chance to answer! How rude! Am I not deserving of a chance to answer? And what is with that ridiculous mask on your face? Look me in the eye when I'm talking to you, young man! Don't break eye contact. How could you leave like that? It's rude to keep a lady waiting! Hmmph. You'll know when you get your first girlfriend, sonny. Then again, you'd have trouble with that considering your slouch! Women like men who stand with confidence!"

She paused to motion to him leaning against the railing.

"Stand up straight and look me in the eye when I speak to you, young man! And why do you have that cup? You're too young to be drinking coffee like that! Some adults need it to function. But you're still young and sprightly. Let me guess. You didn't catch enough sleep last night, hmm? Which is why you need that cup. You youngsters these days need to learn the importance of taking care of yourself. Don't drink that swill you call coffee. Don't you know young, contributing members of society require eight cups of water a day to function? Speaking of that. Why are you still mooching off your parents like that? You've graduated school. I watched. And yet you continue to be a burden on your loving parents by not going out to get a job! You should start young and write up a resume to go make some money and contribute to your household, boy! When I was your age, I balanced a job as a waiter in a cafe while taking care of my ailing father and my cats! And yet all you do is lounge about all day on your lazy bum. When will you learn? And those bags always under your eyes. You need ten hours of sleep at your age!"

As Enya finished up, she lifted her own cup of coffee to take a sip.

"And as for your questions. I got a full eleven hours of sleep. I'm doing wonderful, dearie. Good morning."

Edited by Riath

"Uh... no not really. I don't know what to call what you had. I'm not a psychologist or anything like that." Axis said, pulling her hood further down, trying to hide her ears. Her tail was easy to hide under baggy clothing. Her ears were not as easy. She hated when people saw them, when people saw that she was a demon. She had hidden hee demonic features since... she shivered at the memory, forcing it down into the deep recesses of her mind.

She looked over the part of the town she could see from the cliff and her attention was drawn to two humans, seemingly neighbours, were conversing. It was the body language of the two people. The old lady seemed increasingly fiesty.

"You can stay up here the whole day contemplating the meaning of life. Or you can follow me, but you need to be quiet." With her interest thoroughly piqued, she walked over to the edge of the cliff. She looked back at the small man. "My name is Axis by the way." With that she stepped off the cliff, bending her knees to cusion the fall. She then kept in the bushes for cover and got as close to the two neighbours that she could hear them. She hoped that the distance was far enough that they wouldn't notice her if she was extremely quiet.

"Wow.. that lady is really harsh. She can tone it down a little, maybe be nicer... or friendlier." Axis thought as she eavesdropped on the conversation, something she had become too used to doing.

Charons gaze didn't waver from Enyabas own as she talked. He stared with dead eyes at her. He was half tempted to go zombie and have his face suddenly heavily sunken and decayed just to get her to pause in her speech. He recalled his parents telling him that she had been a kind and friendly woman but it seemed she had early stages of dementia making her seem a lot older than what she was.

She finally finished, staring at him angrily, he was a little surprised at how ill informed she was about him.

"Mam... haven't my parents told you that I have a medical condition?" He asked.

"I can only get a few hours of sleep a day... and I have to consume caffeine or Ill fall asleep in the middle of something important..." He continued.

"I want a job... but the necessity to always have caffeine with me makes it difficult to get hired... plus my skins fairly sensitive to the sun... I want to get a nighttime job so I can sleep through the day... as the days usually quieter... for me," He finished.

He then lifted his own mug up and took a long drink of the coffee.

"Also... I'm technically an adult... that means I can drink coffee can't I?" He asked her, he peered into her own cup.

"What blend to you take? May I ask... I'd love to know some good ways to make it from someone with... more life experience," He finished, smiling kindly at her.

Her tirade over, Enyaba seemed to soften up a little as she lifted her coffee cup. She looked inside at the brown liquid, before turning back to Charon.

"Well, dearie, I can't say I've ever heard of a medical condition like that. And you aren't an adult yet until you get a job and can support a home! Even a simple job will do, like the night shift at a convenience store. But you need your sleep. Just because you can only sleep for a few hours doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get more. Sleep earlier. At Eight O'clock at night, get into bed and don't stand up no matter what. You'll get to sleep just fine then."

Enyaba seemed to be deep in thought as she looked into the coffee. Her face scrunched up in concentration as she readjusted her glasses and tried to remember what was in the coffee. Had there been sugar? No, she hated sweet things. Did she? She knew there was milk in there.

"Everyone has their own blend of coffee. Works differently for everyone. Personally, I put milk in mine. Three teaspoons of it. "

At this point, Enya's face lit up, as though she had thought of an amazing idea.

"Boy, did you have any plans for today?"

"Insomnia os a condition that doesn't allow you to sleep, though it's not a medical condition." Axis muttered to herself, deciding to crouch down so that she was hidden better.

To her, the two humans didn't seem bad at all. She couldn't sense any animosity between the two or any bad blood. Worst she could see was what she thought was a bit of irritation or annoyance.

Slowly she tried to stand up and that's where the problems began. She over-balanced and fell forward. She reached out in front of her to keep herself from hitting the ground, but uer palms scraped the ground and withing a few seconds she was flat.

"Ow..." She pushed herself up and looked at her hands. "At least I didn't end up on my face..." she sighed. "Cover is probably blown now..." she whispered.

"The insomnia's a side effect... sort of" Charon responded.

"My actual condition is I have a caffeine addiction... I developed it trying to stay awake because of my inability to sleep at night... and now I need a lot of it to stay awake... especially during the morning," He replied, taking a sip.

He nodded in agreement about everyone having their own blend, he had honestly just been trying to change the subject so Enyaba would stop hounding him. He made to respond to Enyabas request with a polite decline before he heard a loud thud not too far off towards the cliff that overlooked their road.

Lying on the ground was a pretty demon girl with fox ears and [insert colour here] hair. He glanced at Enyaba, knowing her she'd want to harass the girl as to what she was doing wandering by the cliff, or potentially for spying on her.

A large blue-green rune'd circle appeared in front of the girl and a skeletal figure rose up out of it, the skeleton took the fox girls hand as it stood up and, somewhat rougher than Charon had planned, pulled her too her feet.

"Are you alright miss..." He called, louder than usual but still maintaining the somewhat dreary tone of voice.

"You didn't fall off the cliff did you?" He asked as the thought struck him that this might very well be the case. As he said this the skeleton faded away into dust, it's job done.

((What exactly are Axis's colours? Like her hair, eye colour... I was thinking blue hair to go with the fire but...

Also you never replied whether powers were used commonplace so I'm just going with they are and Charon using a skeleton to assist someone up isn't unusual for him))

((I forgot about the question. Sorry ^-^"

They are commonplace. People don't hide their powers.

Her eyes are blue and a reddish brown colour of hair, like a fox's.))

Axis looked up at the cliff and shook her head. "No, I didn't fall from the cliff. Just from standing height." She replied, putting on a smile, trying to hide the irritation the her hood had fallen off during the fall.

I really should try to embrace being a demon, like Ebon said. Might as well stop trying to hide what I am. She thought to herself, remembering her guardian's words. She set her tail free from the clothing and let it drag behind her.

"The cliff isn't even so high, I wouldn't have been seriously hurt if I did fall from it. I have fallen from higher places. But thank you for your concern." She smiled a little more naturally.