shadow_claw

Ancients

Hati paused, her eyes narrowing considerably as the werewolf refused to let her move. Really? All of the other creatures in this forest seemed to understand she was leagues beyond them in terms of strength. This one, however, refused to give up and leave her alone. Fine, that was fine. She’d beat him down easily.

“Birdie, you might want to stand back,” Hati hissed as she grabbed the corner of the pelt she was wearing. In one swift movement she wrapped it around her entire body, sweeping herself up into the air. The black pelt overtook her entire body, forming a floating ball that remained suspended in the air for a few moments as it grew larger.

However, the ball of fur quickly began to change as four large legs emerged from it, slamming into the ground one after another. Her tail formed next, followed by her massive head. Snarling, the wolf ran her bright red tongue over her white teeth as her eyes trained down on the werewolf, easily towering over him thanks to her massive size. Her body appeared to be not entirely there as pieces of her fur moved and flickered like it was composed of smoke and not actually solid. Usually being in this form meant her size alone could intimidate most creatures.

”I’ll give you one last chance to submit,” Hati growled, her teeth snapping as she regarded the werewolf.

Ashley quickly retreated against the far wall when the stranger entered the room, holding a strange square. What was that? Was it drugged? Jesus, why did this have to happen to him? And why was he salivating at just the sight of the square. “I don’t understand,” He muttered back but found himself reaching towards the food offered to him. Taking the strange cube, he nibbled nervously on the corner, clearly too anxious to eat properly but still enticed by the food offered to him. “Where am I? How did I get here?"

((I'll post as Magnus once Aroara replies))

Jevan's irritated look slowly faded and softened into a more fatherly expression. He wasn't here to scare them. He just wanted order. "You don't need to, not quite yet." The man's voice was suddenly smooth and soft, exactly unlike his earlier voice. It was comforting, almost lulling. "You're on a train, I brought you here to recover when I found you. What you're going through is painful, I know. I'm here to help, starting with this." Another amulet was pulled from his seemingly endless suit coat, this one on a steel chain. "Wear this. It will ground you, at the very least."

The woman blinked, head snapping around to face Mina. She tilted her head, eyeing the woman and smiling. She liked what she saw. Still, she knew a half-hearted offer when she heard one. None of that here! She clutched the skull around her neck gently. Long, pale fingers wrapped around it as she swung herself off the bed, standing and brushing past her. "I can smell it from here. Give me a minute." She turned, grinning. "There it is. This way!" She took off, pale legs taking her quickly towards the source of the food. Delicious food was there. Chicken. Ribs. Rare steak. Very rare. So rare she could taste the blood dripping from the--wait, what? She stopped, for just a moment, shaking her head, and continuing at a slower pace. There was a buffet nearby. Her footsteps echoed through the cars.

Ashley glanced up from chewing on the small square of food, his eyebrows rising in confusion and what was possibly even fear. But he seemed much calmer now and was taking slightly larger bites of the square. Silently, he took the amulet and glanced at it briefly before wordlessly placing it around his neck so the pedant hung down in front of him. Finishing off the rest of the square, he looked at the strange man standing before him then reluctantly stepped away from the wall. "You said there was more food, right? Is there any more of what I just ate?"

Mina was still for a short while, gawking in a mix of surprise and disgust as Merula joyously trotted toward the food. The thought of food made her somewhat sick. Not that she wanted to eat. One got intoxicated faster on an empty stomach. The woman trailed behind Merula, watching as she threw the doors open to an...what was that smell?

It smelled...wonderful. It smelled of rich earth and water, of morning dew and fresh fruit and cooked meat...all that once. Dazed, Mina's legs carried her to the buffet tray. Bottles of gold liquid sat, of which she instantly tore open and began to chug. Instantly did her stomachache ebb-only to be replaced by a piercing pain in her head. The bottle of Nectar hit the ground as Namina sank to her knees. The pain was intolerable...she couldn't-it was gone. What...what was that? As the memories of agony melted away, Mina couldn't help but feel as if she had...disappointed someone. Like she had genuinely let someone down. It left a queasy feeling in her gut. What was going on?

---

That was all it took, thankfully. The vial of nectar could be saved for later. Jevan cracked a smile and nodded. Briskly did he turn and walk out the door, motioning for Ashley to do the same. "Of course. It will serve you well to eat a little more, but don't gorge yourself. Eating too much in your current condition would cause...unfavorable side effects." Like burning up and dying. But whatever. He strode towards the buffet with purpose, opening the door calmly. "Ah, there are others already inside. Go on, get yourselves acquainted."

Edited by shadow_claw

Her feet took her to the buffet. Her mouth watered, her throat felt dry, her breath raspy. She stepped over to the golden liquid. It smelled like coffee, pure, fresh. Tea. Fresh air. Flowers, fresh earth, old books, everything she adored! Her hands were around a vial before she knew it. She knocked it back, three gulps down her throat before she even tasted it. Then she did. And she gagged. Hard. It wasn't really the taste, though that was weird. It was more surprise. The vial went back down and she nearly retched. It tasted of salty bitterness and the tang of copper and iron(and so something sweet?? She couldn't place it yet) and definitely not of coffee.

She wanted more. When she spoke, it was a bit more composed. Less raspy. Her voice was actually smooth, now. Not raspy. "What is this? It tastes like-- like blood." She asked nobody in particular. She took another swig, energy flowing through her. "And...huh. Cookies 'n Cream. How about that." That was one thing she liked. "I feel energized. I could dissect a frog. I could do a jig. I could kill a man." Once again, to nobody in particular. She gazed around the room.

Edited by radicalDichotomy

The stick hit Magnus square in the face, sending the Harpy staggering backward with a bloody nose. Blood ran down his face and soaked into his feathers, making the already angry beast look furious. "You zink you can boss me around, ja? Nien! You awful wolves zink you can take anyzing you vant!" He hissed, spitting blood as he spoke.

A rustling nearby was too loud to ignore. A pale man pushed his way though the foliage, cutting away whatever blocked his path with a long blade. He looked similar to Hati, except he has pasty white skin and fiery orange hair.

"I believe you should rethink your position." he rumbled, shifting the weight of the pelt on his shoulders as he stalked forward. "Understand that following us, you will have little to no say in any of the choices we make. Like the bird, you are more of a pet than an ally."

She finished the first glass, looking around. Her stomach was, currently, sounding like a small dinosaur. That wouldn't do. So she picked up a square--what was it, lemon? She could use lemon. She took a bite, giving a soft sigh of contentment. That tasted wonderful. Somehow like burgers. She set about eating her fill, practically cooing. This was wonderful! "Food and drinks. I like this place already." She turned around towards the suddenly opened door, tilting her head. Who was that? They looked terribly familiar. She found herself squinting at Jevan, trying to place it. She hated when this happened. A name decided to set up camp right there and raise a family on the tip of her tongue. Maybe build a house. Never go further. "Hi, there." She greeted the newcomers.

Jevan glanced about before deciding to go the buffet himself. He was hungry after all the work he'd been doing. His plate was a careful array of tons of junk food. A brownie, ribs, a piece of pizza, half a hamburger, and a glass of red wine was his choice of the day. He took a seat at one of the assorted tables, and began to eat. For someone so scrawny, it was surprising to see all the food he had gathered. Not only this, be he ate it all with a fork and knife. What a nerd.

Mina settled on a beer and some steak, sliding into one of the front-most tables next to Merula. She occasionally glanced up at the other woman, before deicing to speak. "So...I'm guessing you didn't buy a ticket for this ride?" she asked around a mouthful of food.

"Of course not." She reached over, grabbing an actual burger and starting in on it. "I don't think any of us did." She was so, so hungry-- practically starving, in fact. How long had she been out? She didn't know. The burger was gone in a very short span of time. "I should introduce myself. 'M Merula." She extended a hand to Mina, a grin on her face. The grin faded once she turned towards Jevan. "He looks really familiar. D'ya know him?" She asked, absently reaching for her second burger.

”No.”

The growl was clear enough but there seemed to be a slight smile in her eyes. In a swift movement she had grabbed the stick in her mouth and snapped it to pieces, causing pieces of wood to fly in every direction and rendering the blunt object useless. Glaring down at the smaller creature, she huffed then gestured with her head to the man who had just arrived. ”My brother is correct. If anything, the bird would serve as a beta long before you. I actually have use for him, unlike you. If you’re going to whine, however, I will put you down immediately like the dog you are.” Glancing at the disgruntled harpy, she extended a claw in his direction, very carefully gesturing with the sharpened talon. ”As for your grievances, you will be released as soon as my mission is completed. While others may be inclined to think otherwise, I have no reason to kill or hurt you unless you bring that upon yourself.” Finally looking back to the new arrival, Hati lowered herself to the ground slightly, clearly more interested in the other man than either of the two other monsters. “Have you found anything concerning your quarry, brother of mine?"

Well that didn’t sound that good. But he still was hungry so he’d just make sure he didn’t get to that point. Eating a little bit of food wouldn’t hurt. He’d only nibble on a little.

Following the stranger at a much slower pace, he slipped inside the food area and immediately found himself drawn to the food. Taking a plate, he mused over the choices for a time before taking a small salad for himself and sitting down as far away from the others as he could possibly go, choosing a booth near the corner to sit in such a way that he could face the others. Clearly he didn’t trust the rest of them very much and found it difficult to calm down, all things considered.

Samuel was sitting down at his own table, enjoying a large helping of food himself. He had mostly steered towards meat, having grabbed both a steak with some kind of unknown sauce and a burger to satisfy his appetite. He looked about ready to go back up and try to claim more food as well because whatever had happened to him made him ready to eat the table.

Edited by pudding

Skoll watched in silence as Hati took control of the situation. She was here first, after all. She wouldn't let some werewolf degrade her. He turned suddenly, snatching Magnus by the wrist and pulling him closer. The Harpy shrieked, but was unable to wrench his arm away. "Fly ahead, bird, as you will be the first one to spot my prey. Try to run, and your death will be slow and painful." The man's pelt seemed to engulf him, replacing the pale man that was originally there. Instead, a wolf with a radiant pelt replaced him. "We set off now." Skoll inhaled deeply, a line of fur raising along his back as he did so. "Oh yes, sister. My prey is near. I smell him, along with-" Surprise registered on the beast's face as he continued to sift through scents. No, that couldn't be! What was he doing there? I smell...grandfather...nearby. They must be together."

---

Mina nodded, swallowing her mouthful of food. "Didn't think so. I'm Namina." She accepted the offered handshake, gripping the hand firmly and shaking it once. As her hand returned, she gripped her can of beer and took a few drinks. She wasn't really that hungry anyways. It was just to make sure she wouldn't get wasted. "Who, the weird skinny guy? Pfff, no. Managed to get this from him though." She pulled the handkerchief from her pocket and extended to towards Merula. Spit, maybe? The handkerchief itself was made of a soft fabric that couldn't quite be identified. And the stain from earlier..it was gone! "Now that's freaky. I kinda barfed earlier and wiped my mouth with this, but the stain's...gone."

Not understanding whatever language the pissy dog spoke in, Hati opted to ignore him as he bolted off. Keeping her gaze on her brother, she watched as he intimidated the bird before her eyes widened at his declaration. “Grandfather?” She replied with a bark of surprise. “What is he doing with the sun?” Frowning slightly, she paused for a moment then shook her head from side to side. “It is fine. If you know where the sun is, I will follow you to him. Lead on, brother. If it is your prey we will hunt, you will guide us." Stepping back to allow him to take charge, she lowered her head ever so slightly in a physical indication that he should lead the way.

Skoll nodded, releasing Magnus and breaking into a run. Magnus did as he was told and took off into the sky, following above the running beasts silently. A sort of happiness welled in his chest. Nobody had ever picked him over somebody else, but the lady did! Being a social outcast, it felt good to have somebody want him around. For now, he would stay with the siblings just because they gave him attention.

---

Jevan rose from his seat his glass of wine still in his hands. "If all of you would direct your attention to me, please." For emphasis, he tapped gently on his glass with a knife. The soft ring spread across the room, enticing the group into silence. "I will answer whatever questions you have now. One person at a time, however."

Her head shot into the air at the ringing that fell over the room, her attention directed to Jevan. After a moment, Merula's hand shot into the air. High into the air. She was like an overexcited kid, eager to ask questions--except for the part where her voice was near-monotone, tinged with sarcasm. "Oh. Oh. Pick me. Pick me." Gosh darnit, Merula, being rude might not be the best course of action here. She didn't seem to care, though. Her fingers waggled, too.

Edited by radicalDichotomy

Samuel’s hand was in the air only a few seconds after Merula’s. Despite the fact he felt a bit ridiculous raising his hand despite the fact he was an adult, she had set the trend and he would follow it. Besides, he had a lot of questions to ask. While he didn’t wiggle his fingers or follow any other actions associated with young children impatient for answers, he did keep his hand raised. “If she’s first, I’m next,” He insisted, not wanting to be overlooked. He had questions, dammit. He wanted answers.

Ashley, meanwhile, hunched over further, trying to look as small as possible as the floor was opened to questions. Picking up a piece of lettuce between his fingers, he awkwardly chewed on it, trying to be as quiet as possible and go unnoticed. While he wanted answers, he just wanted answers. Everyone else could ask their questions and he'd just listen. He couldn't really tell but if they were asking questions... maybe they were all in a similar boat? Did any of them know where they were or why they had come there? No, he was probably just behind. That was usually how it went.

Jevan glanced from Merula to Samuel, frowning slightly. He set the glass of wine down and walked to Merula's table. From his coat he produced two more amulets: one for each woman at the table. Merula's had an intricate pattern, while Mina's was surprisingly simple. "Before that, the both of you wear these. It will ease your symptoms and ground you to this world." As soon as he finished speaking, he dropped an amulet at Celine's table too. Finally satisfied, he settled back into his seat. "Alright. You first, and then you." He declared, pointing from Merula to Samuel. "Ask away."

Edited by shadow_claw

She paused, turning to look out the window. "Uh. Yeah." She coughed, jabbing a thumb at the rapidly approaching figures. "I've got one question for you." Her finger followed the three-- Magnus, Hati, and Skoll. "What're those?" She asked. "They're coming in our direction." Her other hand grabbed the pendant, starting to work. Soon, she had it securely fashioned around her neck. Stylish as frick, yo.

"What are-" Jevan stopped himself as his eyes settled on the window, or what was outside of it. A harpy was hurtling int heir direction, a panicked look on its face. The bird burst through the window, sending glass flying. Magnus stumbled, blood leaking from new cuts. His eyes were wild with a mix of terror and confusion, and one could see the whites of his eyes.

Zhey're coming! Ze beasts, zhey're-"

The poor creature was unable to finish his warning. Something solid rammed into the train, shaking everything inside as the vehicle tottered on the tracks. A second solid hit soon followed, and tipped the train entirely. The lights flickered, before going out entirely.

---

Mina was afraid. The initial force smacked her head against the table, making the woman see stars as she struggled for consciousness. She groaned, and slumped out of her seat. Although dazed, the tearing of metal was unmistakable. Something was trying to get in. A low growl rumbled from outside the wrecked train, shaking her to her core. What was going on? The train car groaned as something pressed against it.

" I can smell you, Sun! Today, you will succumb to my jaws!"

"No...no!" Jevan's usually soft voice was now stricken with anxiety. This was going all wrong! He had never planned for this! "Leave at once! This is your only warnings, beasts!"

Edited by shadow_claw

When the bird flew through the window, she caught wind of a new scent. Oh? OH! Not only was the sun and their grandfather in there, it seemed to be that the moon was also inside of the tin can. Wasn't this a development? It seemed as though Ragnarok would be coming much sooner than they expected. Slamming into the train shortly after her brother, she watched the metal container tip to the side and roll off the tracks. Snarling, the massive wolf quickly bounded on top of the tipped train, staring inside at the people inside. Yes, the scent was much stronger now. Dipping her paw inside the window, she scratched at the broken window, trying to figure out the best way to get inside of the train. Her body was too large to actually fit through the window and she wouldn't be able to devour the moon as a human. What a problem to have. "Moon," The wolf snarled, her teeth dripping with saliva as she stared at the inhabitants of the train through the broken window. Speaking in a sickeningly sweet voice, she dug her claws into the metal of the train and began to tear slowly through the metal. "Come out and face your destiny. You have run for so long but it all ends here. You cannot escape me this time."

Ashley grabbed ahold of the table moments before the train was slammed into. However, his grip did little to help him as he fell against the wall at the second impact that sent the train rolling on it's side. Food from the buffet splattered against his body as several plates shattered. This, along with the glass from the window, created a very hazardous environment. Stiffening up in shock and fear, he ducked underneath the fallen table, trying to hide as a horrible, horrible scraping sound filled the train. Those things... whatever was attacking the train... they were trying to get in! Curling his knees in close, he hid as best he could beneath the table, closing his eyes and trying to shut out the noise.

As the train tipped over, Samuel found himself on the foul end of one of the plates that was falling from the buffet. The china plate slammed into his head and shattered, sending the young man falling against the ground, bleeding from the side of his head. Stunned by the blow, he slowly crawled to his knees, looking around for help. His eyes quickly landed on Jevan and the unmistakable fear was clouded briefly by rage. "What the Hell is going on?!" He yelled, looking at the only one of them that seemed to have any answers.

"They're after you and your sister!" Jevan struggled to his feet, clutching his shoulder with one hand. If the lights hadn't been out, those inside would seen black liquid leaking from his wound. He inhaled, reaching for the ring on his finger with his other hand. An eerily calm feeling spread throughout the room, lulling those inside to relax. Panic wouldn't help anything. Slowly did he turn his gaze to the wolves outside. "I will only ask this one more time; leave now or you will wish you had!"

Mina cracked her eyes open as Hati spoke. She knew, somehow, that one of those voices was speaking to her. Something in the back of her head screamed for violence, to put these beasts in their place. But the other part of her was just...so tired. She lay on the floor, head swimming as she tried to focus on the paw that was wedged into the broken window. It wanted her. That thing...it wanted her dead. She could tell, deep within her bones, that this was true.

Grandfather, Ragnorak has come early. Join us in the beginning of the end. Skoll's jaws clamped onto one of the corners of the car, pulling away a chunk of metal and drywall. An open hole was all he needed. Then, he could get to his prey. He could smell the vile thing, bleeding in its little cage. The Sun was his. It was finally his!

Samuel opened his mouth to yell again when his breath suddenly caught in his throat. The shaking in his legs and arms diminished slightly as he looked upwards, staring at the side of the train. One of the creatures… which looked like a dog but must be far too large, was slowly clawing away at the window, trying to peel away the metal around it. But clearly there was at least another who was trying to get in as he could hear more scratching from a different part of the train. It probably wouldn’t take too long for them to get inside. But they… they were all just a bunch of people! What were they supposed to do? Scrambling across the side of the train, he covered his head to avoid some more falling glass as the wolf near the window managed to tear into it slightly. Spitting the piece of metal aside, she grunted slightly then resumed grabbing at the metal with her teeth and pulling it away. The hole still wasn’t wide enough for her to get inside.

”What will you do, little man?” Hati snarled as she clawed at the hole, widening it ever so slightly. Now able to stick her face in slightly, she snarled and snapped at the inhabitants of the car, unable to quite reach them but getting close nonetheless.

Jevan smiled, though in anything but a friendly manner. You should know your superiors when you see them. His eyes flashed, his pupils and irises vanishing. They glowed white, as did his skin. The calm air in the room fizzled out, only to be replaced by a paralyzing sense of doom. As Jevan stalked forward, a scythe materialized in his hands. It wasn't like a normal scythe, however. It appears as if the blade had been snapped off and re-welded to be straight along with the pole. I am the Horseman Death. I am the harvester of souls and reaper of the damned. The ground trembled with each syllable of his words. The food around them rapidly began to rot. He was Death. He was destruction. Most of all, however, he was pissed.

Ye watchers and ye holy ones,

Bright Seraph, Cherubim and Thrones!

The jangling of a country guitar played softly from the store, accompanied by some Christian country singer-- singing some old hymn, Ajax guessed. He had never cared for those. He didn't know where he was until very recently-- he'd come to his senses, or what he might call them, outside the gas station. Despite the chill of the night, Ajax felt hot. Fevered. After a confused line of questioning directed towards the cashier-- how did he end up in Arizona?-- the New York native walked into the bathroom, locking a stall door behind him. His head was swimming.

Raise the glad strain, Alleluia! That damned radio hurt his head.

Cry out, Dominions, Princedoms, Powers!

He had to think--- what did he last remember? He was...he was at a party, right. Scott had offered him a bit of beer, and he'd taken it. The rest was a blur-- and his thought process stopped as his throat burned. It hurt enough that he would have screamed, had he not been busy retching and his hands were glowing. Once his stomach had been emptied, he collapsed onto the cool floor, shuddering. He shouldn't have taken the drink. God wouldn't have wanted him to, a voice chided in his head.

Virtues, Archangels, Angel's Choirs! Alleluia Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

And then he realized that wasn't his voice, and it wasn't speaking English. Absently he identified it-- Hebrew, perhaps? No. It sounded different. He looked at his glowing hands again and a noise that tried to be a scream but was more a quiet whimper escaped his lips.

There were eyes there, for just a moment. His palms and hands and arms were covered in them. Great, he thought. I'm hallucinating. The eyes were gone shortly after, but the voice was quite insistent that he listen. It wasn't like he was going anywhere, though-- so he did just that, laying on the floor of a locked stall with his eyes glazed over. He listened to what that voice wanted.

Alleluia!

---

Merula's first instinct was a simple one. She grabbed her plate, whipping it with great force at the hole freshly created-- and thus, at the newly exposed side of Hati's muzzle before the lull took her. "Don't..." She started, already starting to feel tired. "Don't you...come knock knock knockin' at my...door..." She murmured, before slipping into sleep.

Hati opened her mouth to respond to the scythe-wielding man who dared to stand in her way when an object suddenly struck her face, shattering to pieces. Flinching slightly, he paused as she shook her head briefly, pulling it out of the gap she had made in the train to scratch at her face. When the pieces of china were mostly freed from her fur, she thrust her face back inside the train, closing her eyes to protect them from damage. Snapping a few times, she felt her teeth catch on something and quickly retreated, pulling her head back out again. Spitting out the person she had grabbed, she cocked her head to one side as she studied the strange, white-haired person she had managed to grab out of the train. Thrusting her nose forward, she sniffed him a few times then sighed. Oh, it was just Loki.

”Grandfather, you got in my way,” The wolf complained before turning to her brother. ”Any luck, Skoll?