Chicogal

Sweety and Chico and Shad

Tony took his hand away immediately because yeah, he didn't need someone thinking he was trying to harass this girl. It would look that way if Rain kept flinching. Note to self: no more touching. For now.

"I honestly have no clue. They're a bunch of stuffy old white guys," he muttered, following her gaze curiously. A brilliant idea came to him then- time to be the white knight. "If you're feeling uncomfortable, we could walk deeper into the exhibit. No one bothers to go that far in, so we'd be alone. You could tell me more about your activism." Among other things, hopefully.

Rain gave a short nod. She hadn't expected the evening to go on this way. Perhaps it was the fact that no normal person had been so honestly friendly toward her for such a long time. "That sounds good to me," she agreed, moving slightly closer to him again. It was like he had a safe presence; how could anyone touch her if she was near Tony Stark? Then again, if the bodyguards around here... "You lead the way," she smiled at him.

She glanced over at Magneto again; he inclined his head toward her. He saw how the evening had taken a different turn, and instead he would have to speak to Howard Stark. And if he resisted, perhaps he would take action. Rain had pleaded with him to not hurt anyone innocent - alas, those who were against mutants were not truly innocent.

((What's Howard's attitude toward mutants?))

(I'm thinking he would probably find them interesting, being a scientist/inventor and all. Unless you want him to be totally against them)

Tony put a gentle hand on her back, making sure she saw him move so she wouldn't get spooked this time. "Come on. If you like art, you'll love some of the paintings back here." Mentally he did a fist pump, congratulating himself on a job well done. His conversations with girls never went this well! Being in college at a very young age meant that none of the older college girls wanted you, which was a bummer.

((I'm going to pretend that Magneto asked Howard about whether or not he supports mutants. Perhaps he does, but cannot due to PR? idk how Tony and Rain are going to end up lumped together? any ideas?

Perhaps Howard is interested in science such that he supports mutant testing, Magneto gets angry?))

Rain felt a shiver go down her spine at his gentle touch - it was a small gesture, yet exciting nonetheless. His touch was different from Magneto, whom she never liked nor disliked (although she disagreed with some of his ideas, he himself was apart from those). Tony was someone to who she was... attracted?

"I do like looking at art. They tell a story, but you have to look for the words," she commented, glancing over to him. He looked somewhat satisfied; perhaps because she was paying attention to him, as opposed to his dad? Most people here probably were more interested in his father, the business tycoon.

(That seems more likely. He might not be cruel to them, but he wants to test them)

Tony nodded absently; he himself had no grasp whatsoever of art. But the pretty girl did, so he could pretend. Honestly, at this point, it was just nice to have another person his age around. Hell, it was nice to be talking to someone in general about things other than business, money and technology.

"Since you like it so much, maybe I can get you a family friend discount. How about that?" They had wandered down the hall far enough that the sounds of people chatting was but a muffled drone in the background.

Rain giggled at his suggestion, She gave her head a small shake. "You're funny," she commented softly, clasping her hands in front of her. The red heels she wore seemed to click-clack far more loudly on the floor, now that the hubbub had died away.

The noise level, however, rose slightly. There were raised voices; something about, "mutants," "testing" and "Nazis." She halted, glancing back at where they had come from again. She knew that voice all too well. It meant that something hadn't gone quite to plan.

"You support mutant testing?" Magneto's voice rose, becoming loud and commanding. It was the voice of someone who would not tolerate; someone who had been through far too much to let some schmuck businessman think that he was in the right. "Do you know what the Nazis did? They tested on mutants. Just as you do. You're no better than a Nazi."

((Skipped the intro just to make it smoother tongue.gif))

"I like to think so," Tony agreed, but fell silent as the voice down the hall got louder. To his dismay, a familiar voice joined it. His father didn't sound too pleased. "Hey uh, why don't we go this way," he coughed, trying to steer them both away from the argument.

Howard believed he was a reasonable man. However, he could only allow so much, and questioning his character was a good way to injure his pride. He was a proud man. "Now you listen here," he growled, "I fought Nazis. I lost some of my best friends to the war, so don't you dare compare me to them. My interest is purely scientific, and I would never run tests that could harm the subjects."

Rain hesitated for a moment, unsure. She was like that - indecisive. Generally she just went with the flow with things, but... Nah. Magneto was more than powerful enough to handle a couple of security guards and an angry middle-aged man. She glanced sideways at Tony as they continued walking on. "Tell me about yourself," she said, rather out of the blue. "I would think the media often shows people in a different light from who they really are."

Magneto's expression didn't change as he stared at this man. He had spent years of his own life as a test subject for the Nazis. All he did was shake his head slightly, lips set in a grim line. "You justify testing mutants for science? We are the next step in evolution, and people like you wish to treat us like rats. Any person in this room could be a mutant, and kill you right now." He narrowed his grey eyes, sensing the presence of metal in this room - oh, how much jewellery there was around the women's necks. How oblivious they were to how vulnerable it made them.

It didn't look like Howard was undecided - he'd made up his mind. And with that, Magneto thought, he'd sealed his own fate. Perhaps not today, but maybe someday.

((ooh, what if his car accident wasn't really an accident at all... -dundundun-))

(Technically the car accident was never an accident. Bucky did it. However, we can make it Magneto's fault for our benefit)

Tony only relaxed once they were out of earshot of the two bickering men. Well, that and he drained his coke and whiskey in one go. "Yeah, that's right. I like, uh.. I like tinkering I guess. Building things, especially cars..." What else was there to tell? He couldn't think of anything. He wasn't used to being asked about himself.

"Is that a threat?" Howard challenged, eyes narrowing dangerously. He hadn't liked the sight of this man from the moment he approached. He didn't look the assault type, but hell, who knew these days? Maybe this man was a murderer, a crazy mutant loving murderer. "I have other guests to attend to; this conversation is over. Good night... Sir." He stalked off, not having gotten the man's name and not caring.

((I didn't know that o.o))

Rain, too, sipped at her coke and whisky in tandem with Tony - although she couldn't drain it as he could. She wasn't that used to alcohol that she was used to the slight burn in her throat. So, she just took small sips as he spoke. "You build cars?" she asked curiously, cradling her drink with two hands. "That's... pretty cool." Wow, imagine being able to assemble transport with your own two hands. The thought was amazing. She grinned, glancing sideways at him shyly. "Do you drive them around...?"

Magneto's mouth gained a hint of a smirk as the man talked at him, then walked away. He'd been intimidated. Well, he couldn't exactly blame him - he was tall, broad-shouldered, and he'd never lost the steely look in his eyes he'd gained from those years of being abused. He stared at the back of the man's head, an urge to shoot him rising. But, no. More could be made of this than that. With a soft, derisive chuckle, he shook his head. "By choosing to belittle mutants, you doom your species' future," he called out across the room, deep voice carrying. "Choose to accept us as your next step in evolution, and your species may survive. Choose to treat us as below you..."

He lifted up his hands, fingers outstretched as he took simultaneous control of the jewellery in the room. Then, suddenly bringing his hands into fists - rings slid off fingers, clasps on necklaces broke. A shimmer of gold surrounded the air around his head as the room fell silent.

"We try to just speak to you. It never really works, does it?"

((Steely teehee

Perhaps a SHIELD agent team drops in to lockdown the premises, Magneto escapes and Rain gets stuck in the lockdown? Idk when SHIELD was created...))

Edited by Chicogal

Tony nodded, rolling his shoulders as he took the praise in stride. "I like to take in old cars and fix them. Took a few apart and put them back together again." He rolled his eyes. "Dad doesn't want me to drive them around but he also isn't always awake," he muttered, then waggled a brow. He snuck out... A lot.

Howard looked down in shock as his ring flew off, then looked back at the mutant with growing anger. "I have done nothing to provoke this!" He snapped. "Guards! Throw this man out!" Bodyguards were hurrying towards them, seemingly under the impression that they could withstand whatever this man could do.

Rain giggled at his raised eyebrow. There was something about it, really, that amused her terribly. He certainly wasn't some cookie cutter trust fund kid; he was quirky and smart. They neared a painting that suddenly drew her attention; she stopped suddenly to read the information board. A hand, ice bracelets clinking softly, came up to rest a finger gently upon the words. It was a painting of two lonely yachts upon a turmultous sea. Forboding storm clouds filled the sky. Just then, as she turned to say something to Tony, screams echoed down the hall. She froze, blue eyes wide. She knew what that meant. Things hadn't gone well. The urge to run to Magneto rose within her; but she didn't want to hurt anyone here. Did she really want to be a- a villain?

Magneto smirked. He admired the bravery of the body guards, of course. But they had no idea of his power. He simply flicked his fingers, and the jewellery molded itself into daggers surrounding him. They were poised, ready to kill any who dared at any moment. One unlucky bodyguard was shot down; the rest hesitated, as screams filled the room and guests started screaming and yelling. "You'd better think on your stance, Mr Stark. After all, you have a family to think of," he purred. "And I do hate to waste lives..."

((sorry about the weird pm and stuff. I'm okay now.))

Tony flinched as people started screaming down the hall, his eyes growing wide. He'd been prepped for this a million times, but it had never happened before now. "****," he swore, grabbing Rain's arm again. "Cmon, I know a back way out. We can escape before they find us," he urged, trying to run them to safety. He had no idea Rain was a part of it.

Howard froze in place, holding up a hand to stop the remaining bodyguards from charging. It was his job to make sure everyone at this event stayed safe and alive. "What do you want from me? Money? You can take it, as much as you want. Leave the people alone."

Rain felt herself suddenly being dragged - she hadn't even heard him speak. She'd been stuck, desperately trying to decide what to do. Stopping short, she looked at him with desperately pleading blue eyes. Please don't hate me. Not like they all do. Please.

"Tony, I have- I came with them. I'm a mutant. We were meant to just speak to your father and get support. I told him no violence, but he-...."

Magneto snorted, shaking his head. "What I need is you," he declared. "I need you to back mutant rights. I'd prefer not to start a genocide against my lesser evolved cousins. But you are forcing my hand..." He lowered the gold ever so slightly, the glimmering metal spinning slowly around him. The middle-aged man smiled; but it was not an expression of happiness.

Tony stopped in his tracks, staring at her. He should've seen it coming, honestly. She had asked him his opinion earlier and he hadn't even made the connection until she said something. The mutant part didn't bother him. What did bother him was the fact that all the guests were being threatened by the people she apparently worked for. "You're with the people who are trying to kill everyone here?" He hissed.

Howard curled his lip, standing proudly despite the impending doom. "I won't support murder," he ground out. "Your cause is violent, and clearly you have no issues killing when things don't go your way. I won't stand behind a group that has to kill to get things done." Ironic, considering his weaponsmith work, but this was different. "Kill me if you're going to, but leave these people out of it. They had nothing to do with it."

Rain's heart dropped quickly - she saw it already. Hate. Mistrust. It was starting to brew within him, she could tell. But then, a sudden burst of bitterness and acceptance. Of course he wouldn't understand. He couldn't. He was from a plushy, comfortable life where he was wanted by everyone. Her situation was very different from that. "There wasn't supposed to be killing," she whispered. "I had no choice."

Magneto chuckled again. "Brave. I cannot deny that," he commented, raising his eyebrows a little. He hadn't expected that from this man. "Alas, such actions will not serve my cause well. If others are more important than yourself - perhaps, your family? - then those are the ones I shall threaten." He glanced away from Howard for a moment, dismissively, before going back to him without expression. "I'll leave you to make your decision." With that, he stalked out, gold still flittering about him protectively.

Tony's eyes widened and then narrowed, his gaze shifting off of her. "Was I your target? Do you even care about who I am?" She had pretended to be interested in him, but of course that wasn't the truth. No one ever cared about the real him, and this was a prime example. He was being used. Nothing different about that.

Howard cleared his throat, trying not to look as threatened as he felt. He'd had situations like this before. But never one so... Scary. Successful. "I think that'll be all for this evening, ladies and gentlemen. If you'll please start making your way towards the doors..." One thing was certain: he wasn't going to change his mind for that homicidal maniac.

Rain swallowed, stiffening defensively. "No. I wasn't ever going to hurt anybody, by choice. That wasn't the plan," she explained again, taking a step back, then another. "I wasn't meant to talk to you; not like this, anyway. Not like a friend. But I guess it doesn't matter that I enjoyed being with you, because now I go back to him." Her voice trembled, becoming quieter. It was the lesser of two evils. Either being tested on, or trying to fight for a better world.

Sighing, the fight dissolved out of her - Rain's shoulders slumped. "I'm sorry. I really am. In a different world, we might have been friends. But I'm considered the scum of society, and I guess that you can't believe that someone might actually like you for you. C'est la vie..."

If rain thought she was going to get his pity, she was nuts. All he ever was to someone was an object. Not a person. A pawn, an exhibit to gawk at. Right now, he couldn't see past what she had tried to do. "But you were supposed to talk to me, to question me, to turn me to your side or kill me I bet," he hissed, a layer of hurt hidden under all the venom.

"Here's a tip sweetie, don't come after people and expect them to trust you afterwards." He turned and stalked off, half expecting to be stabbed in the back or grabbed. He needed another drink after this.

((Oooohhhhh I had an idea for car accident! Tony could be in the car, but somehow Rain saves him, and can't save his parents??))

Each word struck her heard like ice, like daggers made out of the very element that made her feel most at home. Rain let him go, watching the hurt hunch of his shoulders and the choppy stride of his steps. Her fingers curled into fists, and she almost felt like succumbing to the violence that Magneto so encouraged. But she couldn't. How could she hurt someone, over something that she'd done to them?

Of course she couldn't have friends on the outside. She was a freak.

The girl turned in the opposite direction, walking away as well - until she found a way out, until she was exposed to the soothing cold night air once more.

((Skip to accident?))

(Works for me!)

Tony stared numbly out the window. His parents were dragging him to the store, not because they genuinely wanted to see him, but because it was good for the public to see the family out together. Having 'fun'. Tony had already sat through the lecture on how he should behave, knew he had no choice but to pretend to have fun. Whatever, silently he despised it. As soon as he was old enough, he was gone. Legacy or not, he'd make his own way.

Rain had been dragged along with Magneto to witness the car crash. You will watch him burn. You should never see your enemies as anything other than what they are. She'd pleaded with him, to not kill them. They were good people. Tony didn't deserve this. Her arms were clenched into fists at her sides, Magneto standing calmly beside her and observing the street. They weren't even hiding. Her master was not scared.

A car came by - darkened windows, a chauffeur, probably bulletproof windows. As Magneto chuckled, she made up her mind - this was not a life that she wanted to live. And just as suddenly, the Stark's brakes broke, the car swung to the side and straight toward another that was now coming toward them - Rain threw her arms up, sensing the blood in the body of a young person - she seized it, kept it still, prevented it from bashing into a bloody pulp as the other bodies had. Her powers were not at full strength yet, not developed enough for more than one person. She froze there, as the hood of the other car bursted into flames.

"You disappointed me. You are cast from my brotherhood, sister. I will only let you live, to experience shame. You have failed your race."

He melted away, and Rain just stood there for a second, face blank. A moment later, feeling as if this was slow motion, she stumbled and then ran to the car. She hammered on the windows, struggled with the lock. The fire was catching onto the hood of this car - it could explode at any moment, she knew that. He had to get out. The heat was already affecting her, making her feel weak.

"Tony?! You have to get out of there!" she yelled through the window.

Edited by Chicogal

To say that Tony was unprepared was an understatement. One minute he was sitting there loathing everything, the next, his whole world was a miasma of pain and violence. The sound of the crash left his ears ringing, leaving him temporarily deafened. In the distance, he thought he could hear screaming, but it was faint. His body ached but miraculously, he couldn't see any blood. A head injury maybe? He shook himself, fumbling with his seatbelt. The heat of the Flames was starting to get to him, and sheer panic alone fueled him to get the door open, the poor teen practically falling out of the car. He scrambled away from it, nearly colliding with Rain. He gave her a horrified look, still in shock, and then passed out at her feet.

((Hey! We must slot you in somewhere c:))

Rain gasped softly with relief as he stumbled out; he looked a little different from last time she'd seen him, a bit older, but it was still the same guy. The front of the car was unrecognizable - there was no way that his parents had survived that. A momen later, she made out their twisted bodies. A lump formed in her throat as she crouched down next to him, the heat of the flames radiating onto her skin. They had to get away, there might be an explosion.

"Come on, we have to get away from here," she spoke to Tony, laboriously hauling his arm around her shoulders. Would he wake up? She didn't know. Probably not. There was a far off sound of sirens as she started to drag the larger body next to her.

"It's going to be okay, just walk, just walk." It was lies, she knew it, and her heart hung heavily in her chest. Shock was creeping up through her veins. Bile was starting to rise in the back of her mouth; those bodies, that blood, innocent people...