Red2111

Change location of all AP eggs to Cave

With the introduction of Coppers, a new breeding mechanic has been added. The biome and egg is born in can influence what color of a species is produced, with coppers specifically its the females biome that determines the color.

this makes some projects hard to do. for instance:

i'm not able to breed a Brown copper mate to her, and i can never get a green copper from these two. i've been lucky enough to trade for the coppers for those two projects ... but that may not always be the case. and for longer gen projects, hunting down un-related 2G coppers may become unrealistic. not to mention there are some dragons that drop in a specific biome, where getting a certain color egg from a female will be impossible.

not to mention, that Coppers may not remain the only ones with this sort of breeding mechanic; so its not only for current projects, but also future ones involving unreleased dragons.

So what i'm proposing is that any CB egg caught in the AP have its location changed from the biome it was originally caught in, to "Cave". by doing this, i could snag a CB Balloon from the AP and breed a 2G Brown copper rather than having to hunt down a trade from someone; because the location would be Cave, and the color of any copper egg would default to the male coppers color.

Fiona is against this, so can a Mod close this thread or delete it happy.gif

Edited by Red2111

Not a fan for eggs caught by users and dropped in the ap. They were found in a specific location. All in all this seems like a mechanic you're proposing to get around the specific mechanic introduced by the copper breeding rules. I get that there are aspects of that you don't like, but negating the entire mechanic this way doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I did like the idea that eggs bought from the store idea would have cave listed as their biome. That way you're deliberately sacrificing something for the purpose of being able to breed lineages that are not "naturally" possible.

Not a fan for eggs caught by users and dropped in the ap. They were found in a specific location. All in all this seems like a mechanic you're proposing to get around the specific mechanic introduced by the copper breeding rules. I get that there are aspects of that you don't like, but negating the entire mechanic this way doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I did like the idea that eggs bought from the store idea would have cave listed as their biome. That way you're deliberately sacrificing something for the purpose of being able to breed lineages that are not "naturally" possible.

i love the idea of eggs gotten from a "store" have Cave listed at the location and act like eggs before biomes were added as far as breeding.

To me, CB eggs caught in the AP are found in 2 locations, not just one. theres the inital location where they were laid, and then the AP where they are caught and raised from; so the person who original got the egg would have a location as the biome it was caught in, but the person grabbing and keeping it form the AP would have a different location.

so its not so much as getting around the breeding mechanic, as putting the correct location where the egg was found and raised from. at least thats my opinion of it. the copper's breeding quirk is my motive right now for suggesting it. and there is a way to get those eggs that "shouldn't exist" right now, as all i have to do is track down a person with a CB Balloon born before the biomes and have them breed with a brown copper to get the 2G i want. so the eggs are naturally possible, their just hard to track down cause they need a "perfect storm" to get.

also, iirc, if you AP an egg, someone else has to pick it up before you can re-catch it. so theres a big chance of not being able to recover an egg you AP'd in this case which helps to prevent the sort of abuse you're worried about.

all of that aside, i didn't the mechanic was meant to purposefully prevent certain color eggs from being produced in certain instances. i thought it was a way to give users control on the breeding and a way to know how to judge what color you'd get for any given pairing to better help with lineages (given the headache most of us have with Nebulas, and i'm gonna go ahead and lump Gems into that xd.png )

so thank you for that clarification Fiona, and if thats the case then n/m on this suggestion given the artist is against it right now

Edited by Red2111

If you're going to assume cb eggs picked up from the ap have lost their background information (which is implied in this suggestion, i.e. when you pick it up from the ap you don't know where it came from) then following that idea, all eggs picked up from the ap should have lost their information, including lineages. If they're simply abandoned there and you don't know their origins then logically speaking they would all be "cb from the cave" eggs. I don't think that's a direction TJ would want to go. Frankly, I don't think the players would like it at all, since many sort through the ap looking for eggs with interesting lineages.

I appreciate your consideration of my objection to your idea. I love the way the copper breeding mechanic works. You have to think and plan ahead for certain copper lineages. And yes, some lineages are impossible. You have to figure out what you can do and how it might be done.

If you're going to assume cb eggs picked up from the ap have lost their background information (which is implied in this suggestion, i.e. when you pick it up from the ap you don't know where it came from) then following that idea, all eggs picked up from the ap should have lost their information, including lineages. If they're simply abandoned there and you don't know their origins then logically speaking they would all be "cb from the cave" eggs. I don't think that's a direction TJ would want to go. Frankly, I don't think the players would like it at all, since many sort through the ap looking for eggs with interesting lineages.

I appreciate your consideration of my objection to your idea. I love the way the copper breeding mechanic works. You have to think and plan ahead for certain copper lineages. And yes, some lineages are impossible. You have to figure out what you can do and how it might be done.

*nods* i hadn't thought of it like that and i agree that having all eggs in the AP lose lineages would be a very bad idea. i love my lineaged AP eggs, and prize kins from the AP and i woudl hate for people not to get any of the dragons i breed to the AP and not get those lineages *nods*

i guess the reason i never thought of it that way, is because i always considered the AP as a biome all on its own, and so a separate location; so i never understood why CB eggs didn't change their location.

also, i too love the coppers breeding mechanic, so i wouldn't want to change it. as a person who breeds nebulas for checkers and knows the pains of trying to get a certain color (and i hope that the gemstones aren't like this, cause i'd love to do projects with them eventually, but not if its like nebulas); i can't tell you the amount of appreciation i have for the Coppers and the certainty they give me with what color (and knowing with their egg is icing on the cake) xd.png

so anyways, all of this to say. can a mod close this since the artists is against it happy.gif

i guess the reason i never thought of it that way, is because i always considered the AP as a biome all on its own, and so a separate location; so i never understood why CB eggs didn't change their location.

The AP is not a biome, AP stands for Abandoned Pile, it's the place where abandoned eggs go, there aren't eggs produced in AP like they are in the cave. It makes no sense to any egg change biome once is abandoned.

Just an observation.