shadow_claw

Legacy

Not too long after Viziel did Suulis awake with a start. He pitched forward, nearly rolling into the fire. He would have snapped his wings open to counteract his forward weight, but found that he couldn't. He strained his wings against their bindings, but to no avail. Only luck had kept him from falling into the fire. Now on his stomach, his head moved about as he tried to get a grasp on the situation. When he had, he shivered and curled himself into a ball. It had happened again.

Viziel tried to move his head towards the movement nearby, eventually tracing it back to Suulis. Oh! There he was! "Spira!" he called out, then again, louder. When he tried to call out a third time, however, a boot connected with his stomach and he was reduced to wheezing and shaking as he tried to curl in on himself where he had been kicked.

"Stop making so much noise!" one of the hooded figures spat as he stared down at the cowering alien.

"Enough of that, he can't understand you anyway," Another one said from nearby the fire, ignoring the struggles of Suulis nearby. "Besides, you can't injure him too much or he won't be worth anything. And even if he could understand you, it doesn't matter that he's making so much noise. There isn't anyone else around here anyway."

A commotion nearby made the terrified man lift his head. What he saw made his stomach wrench. Poor Viziel...He didn't even understand what was going on. It surfaced an anger he had only felt once before. It started off as an itch in the back of his thoughts, but it soon bubbled in his chest and throat. It wasn't anger, no, it was hatred. He felt the same thing towards his 'parents' the day he turned their wealth into stone. These people...kidnapped other people for money! How could they do that? They separated families and traumatized children for profit! Slowly was Suulis's fear replaced with raw fury, allowing him to struggle to his feet.

"Sit back down." One of the four growled. When he did not, the robed man stood and approached Suulis, rolling up the long sleeves of his robe. The moment Suulis was swung at, his opponent was given a rude reply. The Spira Ran forward, connecting his head with the stranger's fist. The odd ripple in his skin ran up his spine, leaving his attacker frozen into stone. Shocked with himself, Suulis took a step backwards. It was happening again. His own anger killed somebody else. There was no hiding it this time.

The remaining three men all jumped back at once as their companion turned to stone. Then, one-the same one that had lashed out at Viziel earlier-quickly grabbed the alien by the hair and dragged him upwards, tossing him over one shoulder with ease. Viziel was tall for sure but in terms of weight, he was very light. His species was supposed to be light and durable since it made it easier to climb and jump. They needed to be able to jump back up again from falling down, yet be light enough that even a small branch could support their weight. So, when it came to humans, it was fairly easy for him to be slung over a shoulder like some kind of sack of flour. With his head still swimming from whatever he had been drugged with and his stomach flipping from where he had been kicked, there wasn't much the alien could do about it either.

As soon as he was lifted up, the hooded man ran, carrying him with him. Sure the Spira had a good bounty on his head but he wasn't risking being turned to stone. Comparatively, he could get a good price for a sky-fallen anywhere and it was much easier to take care of. And, of course, he didn't really care about his companions. They had been brought together by money and he wasn't risking his own head.

"Hey!" One of the hooded man yelled as their companion disappeared into the surrounding forest. Looking between the way he went and the Spira, he hissed then slapped the other man on the back. "Restrain him. I'm going after Thomas." With that, he started to run as well, following the direction of the other man. The left over man frowned and turned back to Suulis with a frown before drawing a knife.

"Look, kid. Just sit back down and you won't have to get hurt."

Suulis bristled as Viziel was lifted and carted off. His feathers ruffled, making his wings appear much larger than they actually were. He was tired of this. His whole life had been filled with pain because of people like these, and he was sick of letting them push him around. They let him be raised by arrogant, wealthy trash that treated him like an animal. He would have no more of it. Growling, Suulis flattened his ears and took an aggressive stance. He wasn't going to let this one slide.

It didn't take very long for the hooded man to catch up to the one who had run off with Viziel since he wasn't carrying anything else. Leaping forward, his arms wrapped around the man's legs and all three of them went down in a tumble. Viziel was flung away from the two men a short distance and as the two began to fight, he was left in the dirt, momentarily forgotten. But, thankfully enough, the fall seemed to loosen the ropes binding his hands, going so far as to rip one of them entirely. Escape. He could get away from these strange, hostile natives. Raising his hands to his mouth, he quickly bit down on the ropes, making short work of them with his teeth and yanking the booties off of his hands and feet. As soon as he was freed, Viziel immediately jumped at the closest tree, his claws unsheathing in his hands and feet to grasp the bark properly. With all of the ease of a squirrel, he scampered up the tree, quickly seeking refuge from the two fighting men below in the thick, green leaves. By the time they realized he had vanished, he was already hidden, huddled among the branches with his eyes squeezed shut and his hands wrapped around his chest. He was scared. He had no idea what was going on or where he had been taken. Aside from Suulis, the whole planet seemed hostile.

"Kid, don't do this," the man said as he held the knife out carefully between himself and the angry Spira. He wasn't exactly an expert in fighting but he was rather greedy and the bounty was enough to keep him from running. "We've already got your friend and the both of you can't escape together. So you'll either have to leave him behind or stay here. Wouldn't you rather stay and watch over him? He is a sky-fallen after all. He doesn't even know our language."

Suulis wasn't in a state to be reasoned with. He wanted out, and he wanted out now. His pupils were mere pinpricks, nearly invisible in his metallic irises. He took a step forward, malice glinting in his golden eyes. Where his had been before was now a blossom of obsidian, which rapidly began to consume everything in its path. Even the fire was frozen into stone, suspending the room in darkness. Now, I will give you a choice. He hissed. You cut me free, or remain a statue for the rest of your miserable existence. Do keep in mind that if you move towards me, I will let it devour you.

((ANGRY SUULIS IS NOT FUN))

There was little hesitation before the man dropped the knife onto the ground and bolted. He wasn't about to mess with a Spira. They had been told he wouldn't know how to use his abilities properly but that wasn't what this looked like. He was bailing now and if he wanted to free himself, well, there was a knife on the ground for that.

It didn't take too long after Viziel had scampered into the tree for the two fighting men to realize that he had vanished, leaving behind a pile of ropes. From his spot high in the tree, he watched as the two fumbled around on the ground, trying to find him in the darkness. But he was quiet. He could wait until they moved on since it was unlikely they would even spot him, let alone be able to reach him. Their species didn't have any claws or wings so how would they get into the tree faster than he could leap to another one?

The small ring that had been left where the kidnapper was standing was instantly covered. The entire cave was now made of obsidian, save for Suulis. Slowly did he walk to the dropped knife, sitting so he could reach it with his bound hands. He would catch up to them. He would find Viziel and free him too. As soon as the ropes were cut, he was running out of the cave as fast as he could. He would find Viziel, and he would make those monsters pay. They wouldn't hurt anyone else ever again. Suulis spread his wings, and with a few beats, he was in the air. This surprised even himself. He didn't know how to fly. He just...sort of...felt it. This would be the way he'd catch up to them No doubt about it.

"Stupid sky-fallen," The one man grumbled, picking through the ropes that had been left torn on the ground. When they caught him again, they'd have to deal with those teeth. Pulling them out would decrease the value of the catch overall. Maybe it would be best to rub something on the ropes themselves to discourage him from biting.

"This never would have happened if you didn't run off," The other man snapped as he looked around. They needed a trail but there didn't seem to be one. Where had the stupid thing scampered off to? There wasn't any indication of which way he had run meaning... he was probably still nearby. Hiding somewhere until the danger passed. They'd just have to look everywhere, then.

He had never stayed in the air this long. At least, not without a struggle. For whatever reason, it now seemed so...easy. Gliding was effortless, and before he knew it, he was over his targets. Golden eyes stared down at the three remaining men. Eyes narrowed, he folded his wings and dropped. Right before he hit the ground, he snapped his wings open to keep himself from falling. Where is he? He glared at the criminals below him, the knife he had taken clutched in one hand. Viziel? Are you alright?

Viziel froze when a familiar voice appeared in his head. Suulis? Where was he? What happened to the other men? Reaching his hands up, he cradled his head, trying to focus on the thought and respond to it despite the cloudiness in his mind.I can't think right, he managed to reply, pulling at his hair. They won't leave. Help me.

"We don't know," the more cowardly of the men quickly said, raising his hands in surrender. His companion quickly elbowed his side and looked up at Suulis, drawing a knife.

"Quiet," He hissed, looking back at the Spira. "You don't know how to use that, kid. Just drop it."

I'm trying. Hold on. Suulis growled, the noise coming from his chest as opposed to his throat. Anger flared in his eyes at the claim of his ignorance. He'd show them! The Spira chucked the knife at the group, though it totally missed all three men and instead buried itself in the dirt. Well...There went that. Without thinking, he flicked his wings downwards towards the three. The golden feathers that remained after his plucking freed themselves, flying at the group like little daggers. Oh. Wow. He didn't know he could do that.

In the tree, Viziel suddenly threw up. Cradling his stomach, he whined faintly as he curled up into a ball, trying to hold the rest of his stomach down. Being kicked in the stomach really wasn't a good plan unless they had wanted him to get sick. He hadn't understood a word of what they said so that could have been the case but it seemed unnecessarily rude. Especially since his stomach hadn't exactly calmed down after they had knocked him out. Nothing had really been alright after that. Shivering from cold, fear, and general fatigue, he inched away from the branch he had thrown up on, trying to get away from the horrible smell.

The storm of feathers ended with the rest of the men laying on the ground, bleeding profusely. There wasn't much they could do to defend themselves against such an assault, after all, and it was a miracle they weren't dead at this point.

Are you alright? I heard screaming.

Well, now he had to add "actual murderer" to his list of titles. As his rage subsided, His wingbeats faltered and he flopped onto the ground. His ears twitched at a sound, and he lifted his head into the trees. He noted a shape among the branches, and instantly stiffened. I'm okay. Are you? Where are you? Absently did he wonder how quickly his feathers would grow back, but these thoughts were shaken from his head. They...They're dead. They wouldn't hurt anyone ever again, but what if they had families? Guilt soon seeped in once his rage receded. I...I killed them.

Dead? Viziel huddled closer to the trunk of the tree, his claws gripping the bark. Could he even climb back down at this point? He was pretty sure he'd fall if he tried to move but Suulis was nearby and it was safe. Sure murder was not highly thought of on his planet but aside from Suulis, he wasn't sure any of these creatures were intelligent. The attack on them was a cruel one and he wasn't about to harass Suulis for an action he would have taken himself if he hasn't been so scared. I'm not sure I can get down, he replied, clinging to the tree out of desperation. He was scared, he couldn't help it. I'm up in a tree. I also threw up. I think whatever they used to knock me out upset my stomach and my head.

Oh. That's what he saw in the tree. Okay, that meant Viziel was safe. But how was he to get down? Suulis spread his wings again, this time much more awkward as he attempted to reach the other captive. His wingbeats were inconsistent, making him bob as he ascended. I'm...I'm coming! Viziel was up so high...How was he to reach that elevation? Suulis reached for a branch and scrabbled his way onto it, heaving from the effort it took to get so high up. He stared across at the figure huddled in a different tree. Can you come over here? I want to make sure you're alright.

Edited by shadow_claw

Viziel clung to the tree, his claws refusing to retract. His tail was coiled tightly around his own leg as he watched through the leaves as Suulis managed to climb onto a branch much lower than his, on another tree. I... I'll try he replied, tearing his claws forcefully from the tree and slowly making his way across the branches. It took a bit but as he finally managed to get to Suulis's branch, his entire body was shaking from fright and he was looking even more green. I think I might throw up again. Everything hurts so badly.

Oh goodness, Viziel looked terrible. Pity-no, concern welled within Suulis as he finally got a good look at the alien. Then came the anger. That deep pit of hatred began to bubble again. They had done this to him. They had tried to kidnap and sell a poor, innocent man. Instantly did a wing soot out and wrap itself around Viziel, pulling him closer to the other man in the trees. I'm so sorry this happened...Out of all the lands you could fall onto, you pick Tiadora. This land is a cruel and unforgiving one. he fell silent, his gaze drifting beyond the trees to a light in the distance. The sun was starting to rise, casting a pale glow over the land. A dark, shining manor was son caught in the light. Instantly did Suulis recognize it. His stomach twisted into a knot asguilt ate at his insides. The day's events had him move in a circle. His previous masters' manor was right beyond the trees.

Viziel stiffened as a wing suddenly wrapped around his body, drawing him in close to Suulis. His claws tensed greatly before he finally forced them to retract by curling his hands into fits. Not trusting himself to accidentally unsheathe them again and hurt Suulis on accident. But that didn't stop him from shifting closer to Suulis and curling up into a ball, leaning against him. He could trust Suulis, even if he couldn't trust anyone else on this planet. What had he called it? Tiadoria? He wasn't really sure what to tell him, honestly. Even if he hadn't crashed, his mission had been a hopeless one. He had traveled in space for too long and in all likely hood, his people had moved on from his planet. Even if he could muster up enough technology to get himself back into space, he wouldn't be able to find them.

If they were still alive.

Closing his eyes, he tried to calm down and keep his stomach under wraps. No. Like it or not, he was here. At the very least, he could try to blend in. Take away his tail, hide his claws and he didn't look that different from their kidnappers. Your heartbeat just picked up. Is something wrong?

Damn, he noticed! Suulis flattened his ears as Viziel spoke, his discomfort obvious. I...I am not a free man, Viziel. He closed his eyes, pain flickering across his expression. How was he to say this? I am...a pet. And that is where I live...Lived. The very thought made him feel hot with a mix of shame and guilt. He had fallen into such a terrible fate and made it worse with his own choices. And...I froze them. N-not on purpose...but...it happened. Suulis raised a hand to his head and winced. Why couldn't he control himself when lives were at stake? He'd killed tens of people in the process of a day! I just got so angry...

Edited by shadow_claw

Viziel stared up at Suulis, his expression quickly dissolving into pity. This realm practiced slavery? That was horrible! His kind was guilty of such a crime in the past but they had moved onwards from that point. For all that had happened to him in that day, it was quickly turned around as he wrapped his arms around Suulis's chest in a hug. "Don't worry," he replied, actually speaking instead of simply directing his thoughts at Suulis. Along with the words came a deep rumbling in his chest as he tried to comfort the creature he was hugging. He was sick and aching himself but he was not going to let anyone hurt Suulis anymore. He'd make sure of that. You're my friend and I'm going to help you. We can leave this place together and go find somewhere nicer. Why don't we go find more people like you? Surely others will have wings somewhere on this planet.

As soon as he was hugged, wings wrapped around Viziel. He hated feeling bad for himself, but he really did. He hated his past and wanted to get far, far away from it. He leaned into the alien's warmth, a shaky breath escaping him. My people...I don't know them. He admitted. My people live far from these lands, in the hottest of the sands. The land was surprisingly versatile. The wealthy humans tended to live in cold, forested areas, but the land became more and more diverse the lower the elevation was. Spira resided where no others chose to, making them safely secluded on most occasions. Sand-swimmers and desertbeasts deterred many from trekking out. Those who did, well, often didn't make it back. I've never seen any others of my race.

Then let's find them, he replied, hugging Suulis a little bit tighter. He certainly knew what it was like being away from home and he wasn't going to let a very solvable problem go unnoticed. Suulis's people were on this planet and they could go find them. He could be with his actual family, not stuck as some kind of pet. I mean, there's clearly nothing for you here and I don't know anything about this planet. You could teach me things and we could travel back to your home together. What do you say? Of course, he didn't have any clothes but they could probably just take some from the dead men. They didn't need them after all and washing the blood out couldn't be too difficult, right? They probably had other supplies back at the cave.

Suulis nodded, though he didn't move to actually get started. His fit from before left him feeling drained, and he didn't know if he could get back on the ground without hurting himself. No, it was best to stay in the trees for now. He lowered his head so his chin rested on his chest, momentarily opening his eyes to stare at Viziel. [color=goldWhat is your land like?[/color] The alien had no actual means of flight, after all. He may have fallen from the sky, but he didn't belong there.