shadow_claw

Legacy

His home? Viziel looked up in surprise at the question as a flurry of thoughts quickly surged forward. Trees taller than life that his kind had called home and eventually built cities into with massive trunks over a hundred feet across. Creatures of all shapes and sizes inhabiting the forests but all of them knowing that the most dangerous creatures lived on the ground. Wild storms that shook the world itself. And his family. His own kind, creatures he hadn't seen since he bit them farewell and climbed aboard the ship he would spend over a year in, flying alone among the stars. Why had he done that? He wasn't ever going to see them again! But what could he do? Suulis was here and could get back to his family. He'd make sure he got Suulis home, even if he couldn't do the same himself. And he wasn't about to fuss over something he couldn't return to. I don't remember, he replied after a long time and turned his head away, clearly not wanting to talk about it. He held his head, letting the lie continue. I think that think they used to knock me out messed with my head. Everything is foggy before the crash.

Oh. Shame flickered across Suulis's face. He hadn't known Viziel knew nothing. He wouldn't have asked if he did. I'm...I'm sorry. He too turned away, his sheepish gaze instead resting on his bare feet. He wished he could've put the clothes on he had bought. He never had the chance to. Maybe then, he wouldn't be so cold. I remember my mother, but vaguely. She had a very warm smell, and wore a lot of jewelry. Absently he questioned why that's what he remembered. Even now he could recall the clatter of bangles on her wrists as she held him. Maybe it was the fact that it was so abstract. Maybe that's why he remembered it. Edited by shadow_claw

Viziel shook his head quickly from side to side as he unwrapped his arms from around Suulis, instead choosing to sit in front of him on the balls of his feet, his hands wrapping around the branch instead. You don't need to be sorry, he replied, tilting his head to the side. He hadn't expected that kind of response him him, really. But the lie was there so it might as well continue. It would be better to just dismiss any thoughts about his home now so he wasn't stuck crying at night. If he didn't think about it, he wouldn't have to deal with those negative emotions. Perhaps, in time, the memories would naturally fade away. We'll go find your family together. You've helped me so much already, it's the least I can do. the idea of learning the native language was momentarily forgotten as he looked downwards at the dead men. They probably had supplies they could use. He'd have to loot them, especially since Suulis seemed more hung up about them being dead. And they'd need some food. He wasn't sure how often they are on this planet or even what he could eat but hopefully there was something.

Viziel's words were lost on Suulis, for he had dozed off almost as soon as he finished talking. His tantrum had drained him and he needed time to recharge. Even if that meant sitting uncomfortably in a tree. There was little room for him to stretch out like he usually did. Though, he could still snore. His chest soon rumbled as he slept, the noise gradually growing louder until it escaped his partially open mouth. He was tired, and a tree wasn't going to keep him from sleeping.

Viziel stared at Suulis for a few moments before his tail relaxed slightly. After initially vomiting, he actually felt much better and his stomach pain was starting to die down. But there were others problems to worry about. The sun was rising, yes, and that meant they had been unconscious throughout the night. He had very little idea of how cold this area of the planet got but he knew based solely on the light, it was not warm enough for him. Especially with him only wearing a small pair of cut-down shorts. He'd have to go pick at the bodies and even try to take care of them. Suulis didn't seem to share any kinship with them so... no, it was a better idea not to risk that. He didn't know if they were poisonous, after all. His mother always had warned him about putting strange things in his mouth.

Slipping carefully away from Suulis, he jumped down to the ground, his knees bending as he landed to break his fall. The padded bottoms of his feet meant the action was silenced and with all the quietness of a nocturnal predator, he moved towards the bodies lying in pools of their own blood nearby. Climbing onto one of their backs so he didn't get blood on his feet, he poked around at the clothing the men were wearing before picking up a bag one of them had been carrying over his shoulder. The outside was stained red but it seemed thick enough that the insides weren't harmed. Cautiously, he picked through the contents of the bag, eventually producing an outfit. It was probably something they stole since it didn't look like it would fit any of them. Maybe he could wear it. Oh, but what about Suulis? He'd need something as well. Maybe there would be more stuff in the cave where he had originally woken up at.

Stepping away from the bodies, he placed the outfit on the ground under the tree Suulis was laying in before making his way back to the cave, following his nose back. Only a few minutes later, he managed to return with two long, black cloaks. He was probably going to have to address the unusual statue he had found in the cave with Suulis but that could wait until morning. As could putting on the outfit he found since, while it looked nice enough to wear walking, it didn't look comfortable at all to sleep in. Tying one of the cloaks around himself, he bit down on the hood of the other one before scaling up the tree like a squirrel to return to Suulis's side. Removing the cloak from his mouth with a lick of his lips, he gently placed it over Suulis's body like a blanket before laying down at his feet, draping his body over the branch and closing his eyes. It wasn't that secure but the sun was coming up and he was tired.

((next morning I guess))

A sniffle, a twitch of an ear, and a shift in position were the first sign that Suulis was starting to wake up. He had remained basically motionless for the process of a whole day, and he was starting to ache. Golden eyes cracked open, and eyelids peeled back to the warmth of another day. The events from a previous night were foggy in his mind. As such, he didn't remember he was asleep in a tree. That was, until he stretched and pitched over the side of the branch. Now that was a way to wake up. Acting purely on instinct, Suulis's wings opened to their full extent. This alone was enough to prevent a violent impact. Landing clumsily on the ground, He clutched a hand over his heart. Too much terror for one morning.

Viziel's eyes opened as the branch shifted, a large weight having been removed from it. He blinked rapidly a few times before hiding his eyes, squinting in the sunlight. It had been dawn when he had fallen asleep on the branch, the stolen cloak covering his shoulders. It was still light out at this point but what time was it? What direction did the sun rise and set here? Rubbing his eyes, he looked down at the ground before quickly sitting upright as he noticed Suulis on the ground below. "Spira!" he quickly called out, scrambling out of the tree as quickly as he could. Are you alright?

A cry from above made the young adult lift his head. Viziel? Oh, right. Yeah, I think. Nothing broken. The cloak that had been previously draped over him drifted slowly to the ground to join him. It must've been knocked over as he fell. Frowing, he took the cloth in both hands. He recognized the fabric, but he wasn't sure from where. No matter. It was good to have something to wear. Suulis draped it over his shoulders and buttoned the fasteners in place. That was better. It's...morning? Have I slept a whole day?

Viziel looked up at the sky, trying to see if there was any indication that it was morning versus night. Really, he couldn't tell. This planet was so strange and actually being able to see most of the sky was an unusual thing. Usually, all he saw was light streaming down through leaves. I... think so. I'm not sure.. He adjusted the cloak he was wearing so it wasn't wrapped so tightly around his neck. Oh! Oh wait! Quickly, he scampered back to the tree and picked up the small pile of clothes he had scavenged from the bodies. I only managed to scavenge these aside from the cloaks. I'm not sure if anything would fit you but you said you were cold before.

A queasiness settled in the pit of Suulis's stomach upon the realization where the clothing came from. Viziel had stolen them from the people he had killed. Suulis had to stop what he was doing as this sickness in his stomach elevated to his throat. He didn't feel well at all. You...took that from them...? He was raised to be civil. The one day he could make his own choices and he killed tens of people. The young Spira doubled over as his stomach lurched, sweat soon forming on his forehead. He was a killer. A monster. And now, a body looter. He didn't know how much more of this he could take.

Well they didn't seem to need it, Viziel started to say before Suulis suddenly doubled over. Was he not alright after all? Maybe he had been injured in the fall! Are you alright?! He asked, panic filling his thoughts as he quickly crouched down beside the winged man, unsure of how to handle him. Of course he had taken it from the men. Sure his own race was advanced but when it came for caring for the dead, there was little to do about it. They were dead and gone and there was little fretting over it. His was a race that celebrated life, not death. Seeing the dead men didn't inspire any kind of feelings of remorse, only curiosity of what they could use that the thieves no longer had use for.

I...I can't do this. Suulis, after expelling the contents of his stomach onto the ground, flopped to the ground beside his puddle of vomit. He needed to turn himself in. He was a killer, a fugitive, and now a thief. It was all just too much for him to accept. His own guilt was suffocating, making his chest tight and stomach sick. I need to be punished for everything I've done. I'm a killer, Viziel. I killed those men, and the residents of the manor...I-I need to... hnrrggg The Spira made a pained noise as he heaved again, this time nothing escaping his mouth. He curled in on himself as he began to tremble. He couldn't take this. He needed to be punished.

Viziel took a hesitant step back away from Suulis, his fingers curling and uncurling repeatedly as he tried to understand Suulis's strange actions. I don't understand he replied hesitantly. Suulis seemed more than ill but at the same time, he just had no idea what to do. They attacked us first. Is it not permitted here to attack those who do you wrong? He hesitantly moved closer to Suulis, raising his hand to pinch his nose so he didn't have to smell the contents of Suuli's stomach all over the cold ground. Taking a seat beside him, he carefully reached out with his free hand to pat Suulis's head in an attempt to comfort him. Please don't leave me alone. I don't understand this place and you are the only one I can speak with.

I killed those people. I killed them all. I...I'm a monster, Viziel. Suulis rolled onto his side, his chest heaving. What was he supposed to do? He couldn't just get away with murder, but Viziel needed him! I need you to do it then. Hit me, stab me, do something.I killed those men...I-I...I can't get away with it. Whimpering softly, he rolled onto his back. Please. I can't get away with it. And if you can't do it... He trailed off, but his message was clear. Suulis wasn't against hurting himself. Although he seemed fine initially, he wasn't in a good state of mind. It seemed perfectly rational to him, of course. He had been beaten when he did wrong before, why was this any different?

Viziel shifted onto all fours, creeping closer to Suulis so he could peer over him properly. Now that he was lying on his back, it was much easier to see him properly instead of just one side of him. Tilting his head to the side, he looked at his friend for a very long time, not speaking at all but instead choosing to just observe. Okay, I'll do something He finally said, moving even closer until he was leering over Suulis. Then, very carefully, he shifted so he was sitting on top of him and curled up carefully on top of chest. A loud rumbling came from deep inside his chest as he tried to calm Suulis down with the deep tones.

Suulis wasn't that large a man. His people were naturally tall and lanky, though not particularly thin. He was no exception. A pretty plush life made him somewhat chubby, but his height evened it all out. In general, he was pretty average. With this said, he could support Viziel on his chest quite well. The weight was enough to keep him from getting up, but just barely. Once Suulis realized that he was just being held down, he struggled weakly. He was really in no shape to do any kind of combat.

His wings twitched beneath him in failed attempts to throw the alien off. Eventually however, he resigned to not being able to get up. Suulis lay still for a few minutes, staring bleakly up at the sky. Then, he reached a hand up to his face, and dug his claw-like nails into his forehead. Slowly and violently did he drag them down his face. Thin lines of blood soon welled from the fresh scratches. Satisfied with this, the Spira fell still. That...that was better.

Viziel didn't notice the movement at first, having contented himself to curling himself up on top of Suulis's chest, a deep rumbling vibrating from within his body. Such vibrations were used to comfort family suffering from physical issues but emotional issues were similar, right? But eventually, he turned his head to look at Suulis's face, only for his eyes to widen in shock at the state of Suulis's skin. "F̼̞̻̫͎̳͕͚ḭ̣̜͓͈̝̼n̬̱̞̫i̺͇̬͎ṱ̹͇͉̩ͅu̲̟̟s͚͙͈͍"He exclaimed, his tone clearly portraying his shock. Quickly jumping off of Suulis's chest, his mind was a scramble of unintelligent thoughts for several moments before he finally managed to make sense of the new injuries on Suulis's face. Did you hurt yourself?

Edited by pudding

Although he himself was content with his actions, Viziel's response challenged his initial feelings. He needed it. His crimes couldn't go unpunished! What was it he felt? Guilt? Suulis's ears twisted and angled backwards against his head. You wouldn't... He whimpered and attempted to turn back onto his side. You were supposed to...Someone always does... Didn't Viziel understand? He was supposed to be the one to do it! That's how it always worked! Someone else was to punish him if he/she was around! Many a time had Suulis chastised himself with small scratches on the back of his hands when no one was around to see his errors. This was no different!

At Suulis's attempt to turn away from him, Viziel scowled and quickly scampered around him, sitting down on the other side of him so that he could still look into Suulis's eyes. Even if he was sitting next to the throw up on the floor, he wasn't about to let Suulis get off easy on this. Of course I wouldn't! He declared, wrinkling his nose up slightly. And you shouldn't hurt yourself either! You are my friend and I care about you. Seeing you hurt, especially self-inflicted pain, makes me sad. So if you can't do it for you, do it for me.

Once freed, Suulis rolled back onto his side and folded his wings over himself. Slowly did he curl up, tucking his knees close to his chest. You don't understand... And he didn't, obviously! Couldn't he see this was justified! I killed those men. This is hardly any punishment. I should...I should be hanged for doing that... That's what anyone else would do! The Spira lifted his wing a fraction to stare dejectedly at Viziel. I'm...I'm sorry I upset you...

Hanged? Viziel questioned softly, watching as Suulis was covered by his wings. Most of the words that travelled across their minds translated well enough but this was one he did not understand. It was too specific and his species had other methods of punishment, usually that did not involve death. I don't understand. But come out of there! There's no use in just wrapping yourself up in feathers when you didn't do anything wrong. If its punishment, shouldn't they be punished for attacking us first? Glancing over at the dead bodies nearby, he scowled then finally approached Suulis again, gently prodding his wing. Why don't we leave this place behind? You will feel better if we move out of this place. Why not go somewhere warmer?

A low whine escaped the winged man as he was poked. He was feeling sorry for himself and just wanted to sulk. The entire day had been going wrong and he was sick of it. Okay... Truth was, he had no clue where to get anywhere and was reluctant to return to civilization. What if they were kidnapped again? He didn't like his chances. Spira weren't common in cities for a reason. I don't..I don't know where to go...