Pestilence420

Ouija Boards

The Ouija also known as a spirit board or talking board, is a flat board marked with the letters of the alphabet, the numbers 0–9, the words "yes", "no", "hello" (occasionally), and "goodbye", along with various symbols and graphics. It uses a planchette (small heart-shaped piece of wood or plastic) as a movable indicator to indicate the spirit's message by spelling it out on the board during a séance. Participants place their fingers on the planchette, and it is moved about the board to spell out words. "Ouija" has become a trademark that is often used generically to refer to any talking board.

Talk about your experiences here!

Ouija boards themselves were first thought up and made for the very purpose to be board games for simple entertainment, and were never supposed to become marketed as tools for "communicating with the dead".

But really no one cares about that rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pestilence420

I only really had one scary experience where I was somehow frozen in place and I felt cold. I started feeling dozens of hands all over my body trying to grab at me. The grips were weak and almost felt like they went through me to some degree and it was chilling. I couldn't move, couldn't scream, and after a while it went away. I collapsed and just tried to calm down. This happened a few days after I messed with a crappy paper Ouija a friend had made so yeah. I don't know if that has any relation to it but that my scary ghost story.

Oh Ouija Boards are so fun to mess around with! I only actually heard of their existence about a couple of days ago and it sounded pretty creepy to me at first but I got over it pretty quickly.

A friend and I played it yesterday with a bit of cardboard, we decided to do it outside her house since the local park has a massive river running through it and we didn't want to get drowned by the spirit. At first nothing happened when we asked the spirit if it was going to be nice or evil to us but then it started to move ever so slowly. Finally the letters spelt out evil and I was so creeped out and scared then.

After that I ran away screaming because I was scared and stuff but then my friend told me it was actually her that was moving the cup, I felt like a complete idiot then.

I haven't played it since but I'd like to do it again and see if anything 'exciting' happens.

Edited by 0023567467

The first time I messed with one was when I was like 11 and it was with my teenage aunt and her friend, she had a really old one

I don't really remember what was asked but after a few minutes I started hearing this weird music from out in the hallway and then after awhile we heard the front door open and somebody yell in and we booked it upstairs, I think they went back down and kept messing with it afterwards but I was too scared to

She recently told me her dad burned the thing |D

The second time I messed with one was with a friend and it was less freaky but more comprehensible, we talked with a couple people that she said she'd talked to before using it

Don't know if it was actually things going on or if she was just moving it but it was still fun c:

I know how they "work," so I suppose I should better shut up right away. Makes things way less interesting. rolleyes.gif

@ Shienvien I would love to know! I don't care if it makes it less interesting xd.png

@Rachel72 Do you have any stories you would like to share? I've never heard anyone refer to the ouija board as an 'Angel Board' so I'm quite curious happy.gif

@Pika_Oi That would freak me out so badly I would leave the house for a while xd.png

@0023567467 Lol aren't friends just the best? I feel like my friend did the same thing but at least he didn't spell evil laugh.gif

@AnanoKimi That sounds really creepy ohmy.gif I've never played with a home made ouija board before and I probably won't ever do it

Edited by Pestilence420

The Ouija board was not originally meant to "talk to the dead," it started as a parlor game meant to show off the ideomotor response, which is where a person subconsciously makes motions.

I don't believe in them. It's a game manufactured by a company and has no 'powers' whatsoever. If it moves around it's because someone living is doing the moving.

I guess skepticism is like ghost repellent because I've used one of those things more then ten times due to my old best friend's silly obsession with the paranormal. He always claimed the stupid thing worked, but it never did with me and my gosh darned critical thinking around. We were, what? 12, 13?

That's actually what he kept saying whenever it failed to work. "You think too critically."

I'm +1 with MedievalMystic on this since I once caught my aforementioned best friend trying to move the piece during one of those seances.

Edited by Brotato

Can't say I really believe that they work.

I've seen them for sale in the board game isle in Toys R' Us.

Hard to believe in the paranormal power of a kiddy toy.

I've personally never used one before though.

I've played with them a few times. It was during sleepovers at friends. And I'll totally admit that I manipulated the thing and told them I wasn't doing anything. xd.png Sometimes its so much more fun to be a little stinker.

I remember watching some paranormal show with some psychics who use Ouija boards. The people asked them to do it blind folded, so they did. What they weren't told is that the Ouija board was flipped upside down so the "yes", "no", letters, and numbers were on the opposite side. Of course, they were still moving the planchette to where the "yes" and "no" and the letters and numbers used to be.

So next time you are using one with your buddies, perhaps have them do it blind folded and then flip the board around.

So next time you are using one with your buddies, perhaps have them do it blind folded and then flip the board around.

Or blindfold the board and flip your buddies upside down?

nonononononono

no Ouija board

no contacting spirits omg

i don't care if it's fake or whatever but i DO NOT ever want to come in contact with one or see one or be in the same room as one.

Y'all realise that ouija boards are a 1970s board game, not a method of contacting the dead?

Odd how it's a board game. ^

The only experience i've had of one is the one i made myself when i was younger.

In school, we were into alchemy circles and stuff so at recess and lunch we would make 'seals' and stuff.

One day i made an ouija board on a piece of paper, i never used it, we were to frightened to use the paper. I ended up making seals around to ensure nothing happen.

It turns out, because i did not use it, it caused a residence to start living at my place.

It's like ya feel a presence there, all the time. Then i went though a few months of being really paranoid about fires, anything that could cause a fire or anything like that.

It wasn't until my younger sister got sick of my very odd behavior that she brought some sage and a candle, and we 'cleaned' cleaned the house out and burned the paper ouija board on the candle out side.

Needless to say, i've never made one again and there is no presence in the house since.

Execpt for that creepy closet - there's a kid in there, i swear there is one.

It likes the dolls.

Edited by Taryn123

Odd how it's a board game. ^

Not really. And wrong date - it was 1890s, just had a resurgence in 1970s.

It was always supposed to be a game. It just got hijacked into being a 'spiritual contact medium' later on.

The Toys R Us carried Ouji board is basically just a toy that claims to be able to inspire automatic writing. We used to joke that it was the pretend spiritual medium for people with lousy handwriting.

That said, the toys don't really concern me too much; you aren't going to get much from a chunk of plastic and spruce, even if you actually believe in the mysticism about it. Usually divining tools have to be made of some rather specific stuff and treated certain ways or they're junk. Granted, if I had a child, I'd never let them own the game, but that's for other reasons than fear of it.

Now, the ones made from woods like hawthorn or elder and with silver or bone planchettes? Those I have some serious reservations on treating like harmless toys.

Now, the ones made from woods like hawthorn or elder and with silver or bone planchettes? Those I have some serious reservations on treating like harmless toys.

Yeah. Those are the ones i don't like. sad.gif

And Kestra15, thank you for telling me this. I never new that. unsure.gif

I used a Ouija board in my Freshman year of high school with a very good friend of mine and her siblings. I've never touched one ever since because it freaked me out so much.

That said, the toys don't really concern me too much; you aren't going to get much from a chunk of plastic and spruce, even if you actually believe in the mysticism about it. Usually divining tools have to be made of some rather specific stuff and treated certain ways or they're junk. Granted, if I had a child, I'd never let them own the game, but that's for other reasons than fear of it.

I would agree about the good wood/bone ones

I have reservations about using anything like that as a toy. Magick, is a bit like energy and it can travel along the paths of least resistance. Evil enjoys that route very much.

As for divination tools. I have a compass, in a plastic housing I use to track ley lines. I never did anything particularly special with it other than focus on it. I used my husband - who is hyper sensitive to the energies out there as backup.

As a result of his sensitivity, I would not utilise this medium (Ouiji boards) lightly.

As for their effectiveness as a medium for contacting spirits - human or otherwise, It depends on the individuals. If you believe it to be little more than a game, it probably will function as a game. If you are open to the energies around you, and have seen enough stuff to scare the pit out of you, then chances are you can open up the door. If used improperly by those with sensitivities, you can probably open up the door to trouble - like pandora's box. If utilised by magickal practitioners, who involk proper environments, it may be less dangerous.

I have seen enough strange and I know I would not trust one as far as I could throw it.

I have seen enough strange and I know I would not trust one as far as I could throw it.

Quoted for truth.

I have spoken to some magic users and they told me they would not touch an ouija board with a 10 foot pole. When playing with sensitive people: you invite unknown powers, but you have no idea who will answer the call.

Ghostbusters, normally.

Ghostbusters, normally.

They'd be the ones to call after the creepy things answer the call. But I do not think they could fix the amount of weird in this world even if they did answer.

As for Magickal mediums, Anything can actually be used. Dice, bones, playing cards, toothpicks, rocks and minerals, water and ink, flame and smoke, tea leaves. Ouiji boards is just one very easily obtainable avenue. Which can work for those who will it to work. These are not things that predict how things are going to happen, but... how do I say it.... ways of being able to read those energies.

I have seen elementals and Ghosts. My husband has seen Ghosts and Dark Ghosts - or "Shadow people". The latter being something that dove at him. And for my energy sensitive husband, I would describe him as very sound of mind, very easy going, quiet and not prone to strange behaviour in public. I would describe him as extremely intelligent, with an excellent memory and perfectly rational. He is not the sort of person who would draw attention to himself, so when he ducks or dives in a shop or stands about looking for something, he's probably seen something "strange" that many cannot perceive.