Corteo

View-bombing solution?

My only solution has been to keep my scroll visible during times that I am raising armies of commons/uncommons or during my downtime with no eggs. Otherwise, during new releases or during the times I am working on a project or happened to catch a rare, I keep my scroll hidden.

It's always been like that since I keep seeing people mention how they get view bombed.

At this point, until a solution is made, I recommend what others have said, as well as what I wrote above. If you have something on your scroll you can not lose. Do not leave your scroll visible and don't show off the links to people you don't know/trust.

To be honest, I kinda like being kept on my toes...but that's just me. It's going to be extremely hard to prevent view bombing without messing up a lot of stuff. I have a feeling it may backfire onto innocent people if we give out harsh punishments.

Isn't the sickness mechanic intended to curb traffic since DC gameplay relies entirely on tracking hotlinked images? Like getting people to spread out the traffic they generate as opposed to getting all the views they need in a big burst and then taking them down while they wait for their eggs to hatch. I'd think it may have also been partly to help people advertise the site more continuously, since DC was, back before the advent of fansites, a self-advertising game.

AND, honestly, seeing the eggs is still a form of advertising for the site.

I had gone inactive for a while, but I happened to see the eggs in someeone else's sig in another forum I frequent. IT got me to wanting to raise dragons again. smile.gif

I know this is kind of heretical, but do we even NEED eggs or hatchlings to be able to die from over-viewing? What if they just became unable to hatch or mature until their illness was cured? That would still make people need to maintain them carefully if they wanted to play efficiently, but it would render a spiteful person completely incapable of killing something on another person's scroll, which is something that doesn't really seem in keeping with this game's philosophy.

While not necessarily the true reason behind it, if there's no illness and death from overviewing, everyone can just stick their eggs and hatchlings into a dozen fansites, click exchanges and hyperactive forums (e.g. a Chinese forum that is reportedly responsible for half of EATW's views) and leave it there with no negative consequences.

It makes the game too... well, easy. Things would be guarenteed to hatch and grow at the 4d point with oversaturated views several dozen times more than the required amount, rather than encouraging you to watch the amount of views you give to your eggs. No challenge at all.

Edited by CNR4806

As other stated already, if a person wants to view-bomb your eggs/hatchling they do not need to use hatcheries.

I don´t know if someone ever tried to view-bomb me, no egg/hatchling has died on me yet - with the exception of my own ND experiments & Vampire bites.

From my own experience and how I do things:

eggs are most vulnerable in the first hours, therefore I hide eggs I want to keep until they reach 6 days at least. In the past I put them into 8 hatcheries afterwards and there were no problems.

If I have something important on my scroll, I fog it whenever I cannot be online. Once they reach 4 days you can throw them into ER´s, that´s all I need.

Edited by Mondat

I personally would not want to see sickness gotten rid of. Whatever it's in-game purpose, I think it *does* serve a few different purposes. I've heard the explanation that Lyth mentioned before. And it does sort of make us *responsible* for our dragons, checking on them and such, instead of us grabbing a 7-day egg and shoving it in 10 different hatcheries and then ignoring it until it can hatch. Sickness makes users do a little bit more, be a little more responsible for their dragons, and personally I think that's a good thing.

Before it goes too complicated..

I'm not posting to go for or against this. I just want to say that this suggestion can't eliminate viewbombing.

I am No.2 at Top 20 helping hands in EATW. I know how to viewbomb a specific egg/hatchie without even registering into anywhere (all you need is the egg code and some time) AND I've seen my friends' eggs viewbombed multiple times that way. WITHOUT the use of any hatcheries.

This. Most viewbombing happened off fansites. I doubt your eggs will even get sick unless you are using more than 5 fansites at the same time. Viewbombers will use other sites(like forums unrelated to DC) rather than fansites, which make you unable to track since DC is way too international.

Login via API or adding secondary password only affect the effectiveness of fansites. And I think what Ext3h said (that's quite long time ago but still) explain the reasons why they (at least EATW) don't API login feature. But if DC itself has some corresponding changes..

And I agree with ADP, such BSAs will be helpful.

EDIT: regular typo.

Edited by Shelybear

While not necessarily the true reason behind it, if there's no illness and death from overviewing, everyone can just stick their eggs and hatchlings into a dozen fansites, click exchanges and hyperactive forums (e.g. a Chinese forum that is reportedly responsible for half of EATW's views) and leave it there with no negative consequences.

It makes the game too... well, easy. Things would be guarenteed to hatch and grow at the 4d point with oversaturated views several dozen times more than the required amount, rather than encouraging you to watch the amount of views you give to your eggs. No challenge at all.

Half of EATW's unique views from signatures, that is.

EATW current stats:

Unique views shared today

5,049,542 (877,258 from signatures)

When I and ShelyBear were too lazy to post in that forum, the stats went under 300,000. Now it's 877,258, and when we got really crazy tongue.gif it goes up to over 1,000,000.

My point on the 2nd page was, I've seen posts of malicious people trying to viewbomb others' eggs in that forum (and yes, I saw dead eggs, asked my friends, found the victim). Some of my friends have been victims for multiple times. Obviously, anything on fansite side can't stop this.

And complete removal of death from over-viewing...well, a few months ago, lots and lots of people in that forum were playing DC, and I saw dead eggs everywhere because their owners gave them too many views. sad.gif

This.

I'm more attached to my dragons because I have to take care of them and make sure they're all right and the risk of losing them to death is very real, so each one is a challenge and makes me proud to have, especially the more touchy rare ones. If they were that easy to just grow, they wouldn't really merit names in my mind's eye. I had to literally raise each one, so I feel more of a connection, albeit a digital connection. Still... it's an accomplishment just like trying to catch them or trading for them.