tigerlord10

Jump Scares

Jmp scares. Who doesn't love going on Youtube and watching jump scares? Lets talk about ur favs! poptartFINALTINY.gifxd.pnglaugh.gif

I hate jump scares. Jump scares a cheap horror. A movie that's all jump scares is like a comedy that's all farts, or something.

I don't love going on YouTube, finding an innocent looking video and clicking it before being greeted with a horrific image and a scream. Still hate them in videos where one shoud expect a jump scare. I don't even watch horror >>

Errrr.... What is a jump scare?

A sudden, frightening sound or image that makes you jump.

i absolutely hate jumpscares. the last one i ran into caused me to shake and cry for about ten minutes straight. a lot of people dont seem to realize how badly other people can react to them.

i can't even appreciate them as horror they're just cheap scares and i honestly really resent when people post them with no warning. not cool.

Edited by Switch

Utterly apathetic towards most of them - I am more or less impossible to startle or scare. Annoyed at the particularly loud ones, since I have rather sensitive hearing and the loud ones can literally be physically painful.

I think screamers can be funny (like that korean comic), but I'm not a fan of them in movies. Mostly because movies that rely on them fail to be scary otherwise.

I love watching people react to them xd.png Like Venturian Tale/Jordan and his siblings

Bethany, Issac, and Cierra

I'm very jumpy and easily startled in general; I visibly flinch when people walk around hallway corners and any sudden touch will make me leap. So yeah, I don't like jump scares even if I know it's coming. I don't scream or actually get frightened though.

I personally have mixed feelings about jump scares. For one, I tend to get easily startled, so even if I know it's coming I still leap about a foot in the air whenever one actually happens. For another.....jump scares don't really seem like legitimate horror to me.

I mean, granted, doing them correctly can really add to the atmosphere of whatever media they're placed in. But if the entirety of the horror game/movie/whatever is jump scares, that basically means (to me, anyway) that halfway through the makers got lazy and decided to shove 'INSERT CHEAP SCARE HERE' in people's faces to see if they buy into it or not.

Personally, I feel that if you do it right and don't make it look lazy that a jump scare can actually contribute.....but that's not gonna stop me from leaping in the air and muttering muffled curses into my bag of popcorn or whatever when they actually happen.

For jump scares? Yeah, I can be easily startled at night, although I don't react well to being scared. If it's a joke pulled by my friends it's alright, but strangers doing it can make me a little grumpy.

It depends. I like them in horror games, but only if it happens once or twice. After that it gets annoying.

A jump and a boo would scare me, not because of any ghosts (I'm 24) but because of it being unexpected. Any word works.

I think jump scares in horror movies and games are fine, and can even be fun if they're done well.

I'm not a big fan of screamer jump scares like the scary maze game or the "where's Waldo?" video though. Those are just used to scare people as a mean prank :/

Personally, I love horror. Jump scares added to horror is thrilling. One of my favorite movies, The Decent, is super bloody, but it also incorporates jump scares and that makes my whole experience even better. smile.gif

Edit: I don't watch youtube videos with jumps scares. Except one time, when I was watching a comedic video and I got rick rolled and jump scared simultaneously. (That was bad. xd.png)

Edited by Jazlindreal

I detest anyone who tries to jumpscare others. I nearly got a heart attack. Twice, from the same scare.

I was on youtube at night, watching a video by Pewdiepie. And then this a****le goes all: "hey, my dog looks exactly the same as yours!" In the comments section, with a link. Being gullible, I clicked it hoping to get a cute puppy. Did I get one? HELL NO.

As soon as I clicked that link, the words "go to sleep" appeared in the tab. I stared at it, curious. And then suddenly, my ears were assaulted by the most horrifying scream imaginable, followed by a flashing image of Jeff the killer. I had HEADPHONES in at the time. And that was a period of time where I had this strange fear if Jeff the killer. I literally screamed out loud in terror, which I hadn't done for about four years. Followed by yanking out my earpieces and running out of the room, while my parents sat on the sofa watching me. After confirming I was okay, they told me to get some rest. I went back to my computer. In my fear, I had dragged the tab out into a new window. Which made it possible to close it without looking at his terrifying white face.

The next morning, I was about to go visit my cousin. I used my computer in the morning, and was on youtube. AGAIN, I saw a link to get signatures for google plus to stop messing up youtube. That period of time was when youtube was changing again, late last year. I clicked it. Jumpscared. Again. I had been SWEATING the first time I was scared. Cold sweat covered my legs completely. After being jumpscared again, I was scared, but even more pissed. I shouted "GODDAMMIT" really loud, which kinda freaked my parents out. Just them, my dad came back home from a morning fishing trip. By then, I was basically too traumatized to go back to my computer, so I had to ask him to close the tab for me. My earpieces were out, so the sound echoed all the way outside, scaring me even more.

In short, screw jumpscares. And screw anyone who ever jumpscared, or tries to jumpscare me ever again.

I'm very jumpy and easily startled in general; I visibly flinch when people walk around hallway corners and any sudden touch will make me leap. So yeah, I don't like jump scares even if I know it's coming. I don't scream or actually get frightened though.

Same, I get startled very easily, and I also thing that things jumping out, sudden screams etc, even if I see them coming, are crude tactics. I don't watch a lot of horror, but when I do, I prefer psychological horror. Heck, even extreme violence is better than jump scares.

Edited by lightbird

Jump scares are one of the worst things a horror movie can do. I do startle at them (and my heart skips a beat, so to speak) but I never scream. After the brief moment of terror passes, I immediately think "really, video creator? This is the best you've got? You're a d-bag!" Because seriously, come up with something better.

I agree with Melomancer; screw jumpscares, and the people who make them.

When I was 10 or so I encountered something similar to Melomancer's predicament.

I saw a link in someone's signature saying "Don't Click". Being a stupid kid, I clicked it, and saw something about Jeff the Killer, "Go to Sleep", something like that (I don't remember it any more tongue.gif). It kept me awake all night though, so eventually at around 4:00 AM I just got out of bed and read Calvin and Hobbes over and over until 6 to keep myself sane without waking up Mom and Dad. xd.png It was a school day, too, so that probably wasn't the best idea...

Another time I was tricked into a jumpscare and didn't even realize it. They told me to look really closely at the screen, which I did, and then immediately put up a skull on the screen without playing any noise. I stared at the screen for about 5 seconds before realizing, "Oh, hey, there's a skull there." tongue.gif

Not sure how I would react today, since I haven't been jumpscared since the Jeff the Killer thing I mentioned above.

Looking at some of these responses, I probably couldn't make friends with any of you without getting punched in the face O_O Sometimes I'll sneak up behind them and say "BOO" really loudly, because I like to see their reactions and I know they wont think anything of it. Doesn't always work, but it's fun to do tongue.gif

Edited by Dracoscar

I think they're really mean and horrible. Whats worse is when someone makes a GIF so that it looks like an innocent picture...

I like Eyes, the horror game.

I like jump scares, because it's like, BOOM! AHH! Okay, it's over.

Unlike some things, i don't like depictions of things coming for me.

Once, my dad told me that this video was like the Game that I mentioned before. Eyes.

So I watched it. Not at all like eyes. Nightmares for a week.

I love horror, it's probably my favorite genre of pretty much every media.

But jump scares are boring and uninteresting and a cheap tactic used in bad horror.

Being startled isn't the same as being scared.

I absolutely loathe jump scares of any kind. I remember when I was 11 I used to like those "Like When you see it" pictures and I would scroll through Googles images looking at them all. Once I came upon one, I clicked on it, and I couldn't figure it out. I didn't realize it was a GIF. After a few seconds really creepy horror figure appeared and I totally freaked out. It was really scary. I was only 11 years old and I got scared really easily. I closed the tab, slammed my laptop shut, and started crying. I was just shuddering and crying for at least fifteen minutes. It was awful.

So yeah, I hate it when you don't know they're coming dry.gif