CrypticAsterisk

Drako and Claw

((I started the "first" season of DW (with the 9th Doctor). It's a good one for newbies because he explains everything to his new companion as he goes.))

Seemingly bored, Cyrus closed his eyes and merely listened. He made the lights dim even more and then restored them to their previous strength a few times. Even if he appeared to be a mature adult, Cyrus was really just a kid. A kid with dangerous powers and a dangerous mental illness. But still a kid.

As a notepad was help up to him, Cyrus studied the symbol quietly. He had seen it scattered about and glimpsed a tattoo once...

I know we need to find. She is far from pleasant, but she has a tattoo of that symbol. She's a smuggler of supplies, we've met before. A mutant, too. We've just neve got along

He said after a while. He hated the fact their only shot was Namina of all people, but at least he had someone who could talk for him instead.

((If you would like a rebel as well, feel free to add one.))

((I'll have to give it a shot sometime. I've been really busy lately, what with catching up on schoolwork and Christmas break coming up soon.

Also, I'll add one. You'll see, hehehehe...))

Radian nodded, realizing that the conversation had, once again, ground to a halt. Oh well; at least he had ideas now. Leaning against the counter, the scientist managed to pull of looking relaxed and tense at the same time. Before the Core, he had been something of a social butterfly, and had many friends. However, when his mutations kicked in, he began to stray from social contact. They figured it was just stress, and that's what he let them believe. With only one person it was... Bearable. Even if that person was Cyrus.

"I can tell. You don't seem to be the social sort... And I don't blame you," he said, trying to convey a look of understanding through those golden eyes of his. "I assume you don't want to be called S-1 the entire time we're here, or any other time for that matter. You have a name, yes?"

Name? Nobody had asked for his name for...how long has it been? He had a bit of a tough time remembering it himself. Cyrus. My name is Cyrus. he answered. Apparently an extreme lack of empathy and homicidal tendencies when provoked fall under Sociopathy. And I am not antisocial, I merely despise the whole of society. Including people. he opened his eyes and gave Radian a pointed look. Sociopathy was really what kept him alive in the recent past. It also totally wrecked his life if on the same thought pattern, but still.

Radian flinched back a bit at the look Cyrus gave him. The scientist had figured that the man was a sociopath; one of his failed career paths in the past was as a psychiatrist. Still, that was years ago, and the career only lasted six months before he had to close down due to a lack of patients. Plus, he could now hear the thoughts of the man he was conversing with. And they were not friendly. "I figured as much," he shrugged, nervousness creeping into his tone. "People call me Radian. Of course that's not my real name, but... I have my reasons for using it."

Before Cyrus could ask any questions, the scientist caught wind of a scent. A bad scent. And it wasn't your everyday bad breath or rotten garbage. No, it smelled like death. Though he only heard Cyrus' and his own thoughts, his fear instinct went into overdrive. Sure, it could have been a rat that died in the vents, but what if it wasn't? "Do you smell that?" he asked, walking around to try and find the source. "It smells like... Rotting corpses."

Cyrus choked on the stench just around the same time Radian noticed it. It was foul. No, worse than foul. Utterly repulsing. I wish I didn't. he answered. He covered his mouth and nose with a hand and merely watched as Radian wandered around in search of a source. Cyrus was never one who enjoyed carnage. Especially the rotting kind. Why can we only smell it now? Is it something in any of the refrigerators?

((I can imagine that laboratory chemicals and the like would do a number on your sense of smell. Or, at least, warp your perception a bit.))

Radian shook his head. No, this place had electricity, and the refrigerators seemed recently stocked when he went to check the expiration dates. Besides, it actually seemed to get fainter the further away he walked from the counter. "No, it's not that," he muttered, walking back over to the counter with a puzzled expression. "The food is all pretty fresh. Besides, it's faint. If it had been rotting for a while, I would have noticed the moment we walked in."

Getting a hunch, he walked over to a nearby door, one that lead to the employee's lounge. Opening it, the smell hit him full-force. Sure, it was still faint in comparison to a more fermented corpse, but it was the smell of death nonetheless. Yet, it wasn't the smell that made him gag. Rather, it was the accompanying sight; a sight he could have never prepared himself for.

Both the owner of the shop and her son had committed suicide. The owner by gun, the son by hanging himself. The owner's head was partially blown off, and the son's eyes were still open. The glassy, lifeless orbs seemed to pierce into Radian's very soul, and he could swear that he could hear the boy's last, lamenting cries of anguish. Putting a hand over his mouth, Radian backed up, somehow unable to break eye contact with the corpse even after running into a shelf. He wasn't sure whether to be horrified or to be sick.

When he noticed the flies swarming both bodies, he nearly chose the latter.

((Well, derp.))

Cyrus eventually hopped down and followed behind Radian. He almost hid behind the adult before deciding to peek out behind the scientist. Oh God, that was just nasty. The fact that there were two corpses didn't even seem to bother him, rather it was the carnage they had so carelessly created in their desperate attempt to be rid of suffering. Cyrus had long since been desensitized to the horrors of the world, and was just repulsed by the rotting flesh and hordes of flies.

When Radian bumped into him while backing up, the young man scowled and stepped out of the way. With such...uncleanly settings, I suggest we do not stay the night here. I know of another place, but you might not like it. It's where we'll find the previously mentioned rebel I spoke of, and it is far from civilized. Cyrus stated calmly. Although it was against Cyrus's personality, he made the lights inside the lounge burst so it would be harder for Radian to see the carnage. It was distracting.

Radian snapped out of his horrified trance when the lights burst, shutting his eyes and trying to stabilize his erratic breathing. He had always been squeamish at the sight of gore; it's why he never became a biologist or a surgeon. It was a miracle he managed to refrain from blowing chunks, and he was still left with a bitter taste in the back of his throat. He had heard Cyrus's offer, and he wasn't about to argue with it.

Looking up at the mutant, he nodded fervently, putting a hand on his chest. He looked worse for wear, but he would be ok. As long as he got out of there. "I... I don't care," he panted, trying to get the images out of his head. "Anywhere is better than here. I don't care if it's civil or not, I need to get out of here."

Cyrus nodded and led the way outside. He didn't check behind himself to see if Radian was following. He knew the older man would. His trail was a long one involving complicated twists and turns and plenty of back-alley routes. But when he arrived, he stopped. It was a dilapidated shack with a young tree bursting from the interior. Nothing about it seemed remotely hospitable. Cyrus stepped inside, pulling a threadbare rug out from the center of the floor to reveal a hatch. This way.

A long trip down an unstable ladder led to a dimly lit cellar of sorts. The two were greeted by several men with guns, the only woman in the group standing in the front. Her gray eyes narrowed before she lowered her pistol. Oh, it's you. stand down boys, they're friendlies. At her words, the armed men re-holstered their weapons. Cyrus, glad to see you've reconsidered my offer! And you brought a friend! Cyrus scowled and shook his head.

I'm not here for your offer, Namina. He needed shelter, and we needed to speak to you. the boy hissed in response.

I told ya kid, call me Mina. Everybody does. Namina was slender and tall, standing at least six feet tall. She had eyes that changed vivid colors when she expressed extreme emotions and remained brown otherwise. Her hair was a long, silky black that was braided down past her shoulder blades. On her shoulder, there was a black tattoo of a sun with rays made of thirteen triangles. And who are you? Surely not Cyrus's friend. He doesn't have friends. Mina grinned at Radian, placing her hands on her hips.

Of course Radian followed. It was either that or stay behind with the mutilated, rotting, fly-infested corpses. The quicker he got away, the better. Fortunately, he was doing a lot better by the time they arrived at the house, because the sudden influx of thoughts caught him off guard. Clutching his head, he gritted his teeth. Cyrus wasn't kidding when he said that they weren't civil. Still, he pressed on, following him down the ladder to the floor.

Though he knew that the rebels had turned their guns on him before he even turned around, he wasn't prepared for the caliber. Immediately, his hands shot up in alarm, only relaxing when they lowered their guns. They seemed... Abrasive, to say the least. But, it would do. It was safe, protected. "Dr. Radian," he answered, pushing his glasses back up onto his nose and narrowing his eyes into a glare. "And I am not a scrawny little weasel, mind you."

Seemingly unfazed by Radian's display of power, Mina turned and raised an eyebrow at the startled rebel. She turned back to Radian and grinned at him. Nice to meet'cha Doctor. Major Namina Waltz, but folks call me Mina. she replied cheerfully. The both of ya are welcome to stay as long as ya want. I'll see if I can't arrange some proper lodging in with the folks here. For now, would you two like a tour of my humble base? Abrasive or not, the group seemed to respect Mina's decision. She was glad to see Cyrus had returned, even if he intended on just using their resources. He was a useful ally, intelligence and power wise. His companion seemed as if he could carry his own weight as well. Besides, new company was always refreshing. She waved a hand for the two to follow and began to walk. It's been a while since I've seen any other mutants around. It's just me as far as I know. Impressive little dose of humility ya gave to Renolds back there. Keep that up and we won't have to do basics anymore.

Radian followed behind Cyrus, still not fully trusting Namina yet. Though, he didn't quite trust Cyrus yet either. Well, he knew one more than the other, so he supposed that was reason enough to favor the sociopath. "So," he said, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "This force... How many are in it?" He asked his out of preparation rather than curiosity. If there were hundreds of people, he'd need to stay well away. Otherwise, he'd be in hell all over again, his mind flooded with voices.

In here? Probably 'bout twenty. This isn't really a base as it is a base of trade. A bar and a smuggling HQ, really. Fulla thieves and other cutthroats that have the skill to smeak supplies in and out of cities. Mina answered. People kept their space as they walked down the hallway. She seemed to have some form of a title around the base. I smuggle food and other supplies into this city and others like it. You probably wouldn't be all that surprised if you heard how much food and such is needed all over. Don't worry though, you'll be safe here. These folks stick to themselves The woman paused at a room, opening it and gesturing inside. It was lined with a few bunk beds with a trunk at the foot of each. A few beds had obviously been occupied, each with minor personalizations on them but three or four remained unclaimed. You guys'll stay here. My bed's in here too. I'll get ya guys a blanket or two after we eat. You guys are hungry, right?

Radian breathed a quiet sigh of relief. Twenty was bearable enough. It wouldn't be pleasant, but it was bearable. Better than the labs, where upwards of fifty people would occupy it at once. Still, he'd probably keep his distance regardless. When asked about food, Radian shook his head. Despite not being that filling to some, half a can of spam and a few gulps of water was actually quite filling to a man who had been eating nothing but the occasional bug or road kill for the past several months. Besides, the scene he had witnessed at the store had been enough to kill his appetite.

"We found an abandoned store with food on the shelves. I'll lead you to it, but I'm not going back in there," he shuddered, breaking eye contact for a moment in an attempt to rid himself of the images. "It's not pretty in there..."

((I once cleaned a deer. I got to help pull its guts out, and one guy pulled its bottom jaw out so he could tell us how old it was. Honestly, the sound of the jaw being ripped out was the most disturbing part.))

((Eeech. That sounds disturbing.))

Food on the shelves? Now that was interesting to hear. Mina turned her head, her eyes changing from gray to a golden-orange. Curiosity flickered in her eyes as she thought. Then please, lead the way. I can get what I can so none of you have to enter. Moderatley fresh supplies was a welcome thought. She needed to distribute whatever supplies she had in order to make a profit.

Radian nodded, turning to Cyrus. He knew he wasn't exactly fond of people, and wouldn't mind if he stayed behind. After all, the boy deserved some rest. "You can stay behind if you want to, Cyrus," he offered, keeping his stance neutral. "I know you're not fond of company, and I've probably bothered you enough for one day."

With that, he gave the mutant a respectful nod and a smirk before leading the way. He needed to establish his place in the rebel group, otherwise he'd risk being thrown out.

No. I would rather accompany you. Cyrus decided. He would have less of a chance of forced interaction with Mina and Radian. He decided he would lead the way and returned back to the entrance. He limbed up the ladder that had brought them down and then impatiently awaited for the arrival of Mina and Radian.

Mina grinned and nudged Radian playfully. They were roughly the same age, with her being 27. So you can read minds huh? That's actually pretty neat. I bet you're wondering what I can do. She ascended up the ladder shortly after Cyrus did. As she climbed, her form melted. Mina grew shorter and stalkier, her silky black hair becoming a curly brown. Even her clothes changed. Jeans, a tank top and a utility belt melted into a patrol officer's uniform. The gun at her hip morphed into a baton as well. Even her tattoo was gone. I can adapt to literally anything. Changing my looks is just the fun of it.

Radian was pretty shocked to see Namina turn into what looked to be a completely different woman while ascending before him. So, a shapeshifter, huh? Impressive. The Core had been kind to her, it seemed. At least she seemed to be able to control her powers. "So, shapeshifting?" he asked, climbing up to the top of the ladder and pulling himself out. "That's pretty useful. So, you have control over it, I assume?"

He let Cyrus lead the way. He seemed to be more qualified than Radian for the job, and not having to worry about directions kept his mind open for surveillance. He may not have been able to filter the thoughts of his teammates, but he could identify a strange series of thoughts, that may bring trouble with them.

Eh, it depends. Whenever I say adapt, I mean adapt. It's usually involuntary. Like, if I were thrown into a lake, I would sprout gills without thinking. I've still got webbed toes that never ended up changing back. Sometimes it takes days or even weeks for me to return to normal. Appearances, however, those are easy. Just the small stretch of power I can actually bend to my will. Mina answered. She would pause in her conversation to survey the area, and then continue speaking effortlessly. This power of hers made smuggling a breeze. People were on the lookout for a tall woman with long black hair, while Mina could disguise herself as the exact opposite.

You'll find the supplies inside. Cyrus came to a halt at the abandoned store and gestured to it. Mina grinned at the sight and stepped inside. Shuffling could be heard as she raided the store and put useful items in her backpack. It didn't take much longer than a few minutes for her to be done with her pillaging and return outside.

There, that should be plenty for a week's haul. Thanks for the tippoff guys.

Radian nodded a "you're welcome", a humble smile on his face. Then, he shot upright in alarm, looking around before hiding in a nearby empty trash can. Three patrol officers were coming, and they sounded like they were hungering for their nightly spilling of blood. The scientist never said anything, but he supposed that words weren't needed or advised in this situation.

Edited by Drako_tamer

Mina remained perfectly calm as patrol officers approached. You had to act the part as well as look it. And she was a great lier. There were reasons she had never been caught before. Stay calm and follow my lead. She whipped out her baton, poining it accusingly at the tow young men. Her features instantly became furious. And what gives you the right to stay out after curfew!? Stealing from this store nonetheless!

((Finals and fun may both start with the letter F, but they have nothing in common.))

Now, Radian wasn't the best lier in the world. He never had been. However, with the three patrolmen looming right over him, batons at the ready, he didn't need to be an actor to appear afraid. He was frozen with fear, his heart beating out of his chest. What was she doing!? He wasn't a fighter; the only advantage he had in combat was his ability to read minds. If he had to fight three armored guards, despite being able to predict their every move, he wasn't going to win.

Mina seemed ready to strike Radian as she approached. Suddenly, she pulled a fee small items from a pocket and threw them at the ground. As they burst, smoke filled their area. She melted back into her usual form and grinned. Grabbing one of Cyrus and Radian's hands, Mina took off running. Radian looked like she was actually going to hit him! Oh, they'd be great partners in her adventures! Although Namina was gleeful at all this excitement, Cyrus didn't like it one bit. It was too stressful and involved to many people. He could feel himself be drained by all the people he had been meeting. It was making him antsy.

To say Radian was frightened would be an understatement. He was downright petrified, the only thing keeping his very being from locking up being his fight-or-flight response. Truth be told, he really did think that Namina would strike him in that moment; that she would turn them in in an act of deceit and trickery. She didn't just hide her intentions from the officers. No, she controlled her thoughts, allowing her to imitate the mindset of the officers. Guise or not, it scared the living daylights out of him. He had been betrayed in the past, by his friends, by his co-workers, and by the men in charge of the nation. Needless to say, he wasn't keen on letting it happen again.

Namina effortlessly dragged the two men along. She wasn't all that strong, but her speed forced the two to keep up. Only when she was sure they had lost the officers did she let go of Radian and Cyrus. You two alright there? I didn't mean to scare you guys all that bad. I just had those fellas off our tails. Mina tilted her head slightly to the side as she spoke.

Cyrus crossed his arms over his chest and huffed. He had had quite enough of all the chaos for one day. He was growing irritable with all of it. People like Mina pissed him off without end.