Sweet_Wyvern

Ready, Fire, Aim!

"No buddy, not today. Tin Man isn't strong without his metal suit," Tony tried to explain, holding his arms out wide. "See, I could get hurt. You can't smash around people like me, or we'll be very scared and very hurt. Only Tin Man is strong enough to smash with you." This had to work. Otherwise the Hulk may end up crushing him..

His shoulders slumped forward, making his fist brush against the ground, and a look of annoyed disappointment crossed his face. "Why people so weak and puny?" he grumbled. He gave Tony an irritated snort, and he lowered himself to the ground. Usually Tony was able to fly up to him in the suit, but now that he was out of the red and gold, the Other Guy had to lower himself down in order to see his face. "Hulk scare people?" he asked, perplexed. Why would people fear him if he didn't smash? Tin Man, even without his suit, didn't seem scared of him, and didn't he say he was like people? He grew more confused by the minute, but used a level of self-control he didn't even know he had, and refrained from smashing anything around his friend, for now at least.

Tony puffed air out of his cheeks, trying to decide how best he could explain. "Oh boy, how do I put this.. People aren't as big and strong as Hulk. You, you are very strong. You're right, people are weak. And when people see you, they don't think they can protect themselves. They think you might smash them, even though you won't. We're trying to show people that you aren't a monster, because Hulk is not a monster. But you have to be gentle, because people are puny and weak. I know you won't smash, so you don't scare me." Talking to the Hulk was like explaining String Theory to grad students. To him at least.

After a moment he seemed to understand at least most of what Tony had said, miraculously, and he let out another irritated snort. "Hulk only knows how to smash..." he admitted sadly. It was true. Destruction and breaking everything he touched was the only thing he knew, and was what people used him for. He didn't even know if he could be gentle. Could he even touch a person without hurting them?

He grew more and more frustrated, and he wanted nothing more than to leap off and wreak some havoc out in the wilderness somewhere, to be alone since he seemed to destroy everything he touched, but he didn't for the sake of his friend. He continued to sit there, fuming to himself, his features twisted in rage.

Tony could see he was struggling with internal conflict, and it made him feel bad. Approaching slowly, he patted the big guys' leg, gazing up at him. "Hey, you know when you caught Tin Man out of the sky? You weren't smashing then. You were being a hero. Sometimes smashing is a good thing, though. You smashed the bad aliens. You were a hero then too big guy. No one was afraid of you then, they were impressed and they were happy. You helped save the world."

The Hulk looked down at the man, faintly feeling the hand on his hot skin. It was strange to be touched like that, since the only time anyone actually managed to touch him, it was in the form of a fist. He grinned, glad to have found a friend like his Tin Man.

He wanted to try and return his touch, but he was unsure how without hurting him. Gingerly, he stuck out a hand to try and pat him on the head, ruffling his dark hair a bit forcefully. "Okay?" he asked, hoping that he hadn't damaged his friend somehow.

((omg, I just realized how smut-like this might seem if read out of context, but I don't know how to fix it xd.png))

((I have given myself a concussion with the force of my face palm. I hope you're happy.))

Tony winced, but gave him a thumbs up anyway. He needed encouragement. "Yeah, that's just fine. But for now, only pat Tin Man, okay?" He requested, trying to picture the Hulk petting random civilians. Well, it was an improvement from smashing them.. He gave his leg another pat to reassure him that he was okay.

((I was kidding! Oh my gosh I was kidding! I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I was just playing with you))

((Oh, I figured you were kidding. But I really am weird! xd.png I don't even read smut, but omg I bet there's some of that kind out there *shutters*))

The Hulk grinned, proud that he had been able to restrain himself and his Tin Man was okay. He looked to him as if to ask what he should do now. Taking orders and listening to directions were still new to him, so he did his best to pay attention and not let his short attention span linger.

Edited by lord-of-the-nerds-and-fandoms

((Oh trust me, there it is. I scroll through AO3 sometimes and I see it and just kind of shiver. Because really, the Hulk and a human is NOT OKAY.))

Tony was at a loss for what to do now. "Uh.." Usually Hulk changed back because he was tired, but now he wasn't, and if he wanted Bruce back.. oh, crap. "Okay, time for target practice. Smashing stuff is fun, but it's also good to smash certain things instead of just random things. See that rock wall?" He asked, pointing about thirty yards away. "See if you can hit that with a rock or a tree or something."

((It's like the post I saw on tumblr about a Hagrid+Dobby fic! I wanted to throw-up!=, oh gods *shutter*))

He happily obliged, glad to stretch his muscles and release the anger that seemed to embody his very being. He used a boulder and missed the target on the first throw, but the annoyance that resulted from it allowed him to easily hit it the second time, reducing the stone wall to rumble.

"Nice hit! See, if you have good aim, you can be better at fighting," Tony praised, looking up at him. Obviously though, he would have to do a lot to get him tired now. "Hey, can you put me on the roof?" He asked suddenly, pointing to the top of their house. Then they would be at eye level, mostly anyway since he would be taller than the Hulk. He would sit though. "Be careful when you pick me up though," he warned, cause who knew, maybe he would pick up a hurt person some day. He hoped it wasn't him.

He beamed at the praise, liking the thought of fighting something like the Chitauri again. When Tony made his request, he nodded, picking Tony up carefully with both hands, pinning the man's arms to his sides, and placing him on the room of the shack.

Tony held his breath. The Hulk was very gentle, luckily, though it was still something else to be picked up by him. "Thanks. That was very good," he said, sitting on the edge. "Now, how far can you throw a rock? Can you pass that big tree?" He asked, pointing to the sky line where there was a big tree.

The Hulk looked at him unimpressed by the challenge, and he hurled the rock over the trees, making the distance easily. He was sort of getting bored with this, considering his time out was usually filled with explosions and demolishing entire forests. He grunted, looking at Tony. "Does Tin Man not want to play with Hulk anymore?" he asked, tipped by Tony semi-reluctant behavior toward Hulk's smashing.

Oh censorkip.gif . "Of course I like to play with you! I just want to help you so that people see you as a hero, like I do. But tell you what, you earned it today. Help me down and I'll go get my suit so we can play," he relented, standing up. Impulsive, he had an idea. And he didn't wait a single second to think about it. Pretending to slip, he fell off the roof, praying the Hulk would catch him.

He lunges forward instinctively, catching Tony before he hits the ground. He placed him down as gently as he could. The Hulk remembered catching him when he fell from the sky all those months ago, how he threw him off so forcefully without a second thought, and he saw how much he'd improved in just the past few moments with Tony. "Tin Man okay?" he asked when he released Tony from his grasp.

The breath whooshed out of him as he was caught, though he expected that. Tony staggered as Hulk set him down, slightly dizzy but fine otherwise. "Yeah, I'm okay. Thanks big guy, you saved me," he said with a big grin, giving the thumbs up. He went inside for a moment and returned in the suit, still smiling to himself. "You did a good job. Now lets smash."

The Hulk grinned widely, a dangerous glint in his eye, and he leaped about 60 feet away, closer to the tree line. The two played together for what seemed like hours, and after a while, he grew content with the amount of smashing done. He wasn't even that tired, but he knew that it was probably time to go again, which he didn't mind much, since he'd been able to come out so often. He looked up at Tony and asked simply, "Banner?"

Tony nodded and flew up so that they were at eye level. "Yeah, but I had fun today big guy. Thanks for saving me," he said, face plate up so he could smile at him. Encouragement was what he needed, and he made sure to give it. He was exhausted, though.

The Hulk's massive green form shrunk down to Bruce's normal size. Considering that the brute hadn't drained his complete supply of energy this time, Bruce was able to stay somewhat conscious for the first few moments, but he felt himself sway, and his knees felt like they were about to give way from under him.

Tony landed and immediately put an arm around Bruce to steady him. "Easy, easy, I gotcha. Just hold on," he said, half supporting half carrying him back inside. He laid him on the bed and stepped out of the suit, leaving a glass of water next to the bed before collapsing into the couch, exhausted. Maybe.. Maybe a little nap..

Bruce woke a few hours later to the sound of Tony's light snores echoing throughout their home. He lifted his head, thick with grogginess, and he sat up slightly. He downed the water that he knew would be sitting there waiting for him (Tony had caught on quickly that one was much appreciated after he woke up from a transformation). He wondered if things had gone to plan, if the Other Guy had managed to remain gentle with Tony outside the suit. He peered over behind the small couch (more of a love-seat, really), and saw Tony's limp form, his chest rising and falling evenly. He looked and sounded unhurt, and that was enough for him for the moment, and he settled back down to sleep.

Apart from little jerks and twitches, Tony slept fine. Every now and then he would gasp and whimper, tossing and turning, but it usually ended quickly. It seemed that whatever was happening, he resolved it in his head. That is, until he rolled off the couch eight hours later with a huge thud. "Agh! Son of a censorkip.gif!" He gasped, sitting up and rubbing his elbow.