gistofeverything

ANSWERED:Code Recycling

How do you feel about code recycling?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You know how there's always blockers in the AP? they can sit there for days at a time and not move an inch, because no one desires to have said cave blocker. This in turn leads to frustration of the AP being too full during an hourly drop. Well, what if after a period of time, the egg was completely deleted, and the code was reused for a potentially different baby? This would help get every possible code of the millions out there to be used instead of having some crossed out because they sit in the AP forever.

Well, post what you think~

Edited by gistofeverything

Main problem is this. It is the ratios that decides what breeds the most and those tend to be whats in the AP, so code recycling won't really help as it would still more or less still be the same unwanted breeds over and over and over again.

The only upside is that the AP blocker could very easily be a blocker mainly because it is a super common with a horribly messy lineage. If it is recycled then it could be reborn as a caveborn with more of a chance of being raised.

I know that when I'm trawling the AP for zombie fodder I throw back anything with a lineage and only take the dumped CB eggs.

The only upside is that the AP blocker could very easily be a blocker mainly because it is a super common with a horribly messy lineage. If it is recycled then it could be reborn as a caveborn with more of a chance of being raised.

I know that when I'm trawling the AP for zombie fodder I throw back anything with a lineage and only take the dumped CB eggs.

Things like this can help make these blockers more attractable in my opinion.

These days, I think that long lineages are only part of the issue. The amount of dumped main cave blockers is really, really growing. I hunt Tinselkins, so I often pick up almost every egg in the AP, and so many are CBs these days. And people in the AP are reluctant to pick them up because if they're going to get a CB Whiptail, why not do it in the main cave where there's a change of finding a Spring or a rare on the other side?

I know that the idea has been kicked around about having eggs eventually roll of the "massive pile" that builds up. But that would need to include a very clear warning for players that there eggs may die because of that. Because eggs don't tend to die in the AP, so players don't expect that. If the game is going to delete some of them, that should be specifically stated, IMO.

Also, as Dolphinsong point out, those breeds will just have to be replaced. And that means a. more main cave blockers, and b. an increased probability for the rest of us that if we breed X type of ultra-common dragon with one that isn't ultra-common, we're going to get an ultra-common egg. That will be frustrating for people who have set pairings of that nature or who are working on lineage projects which have some ultra-common breeds in it.

But I do think that it might make the breeders who breed specifically to toss, consider if they want to risk that. For the record, I think that people should be able to play how they want, and that includes breeding what they want, I just think that there should be a counterbalance for that.

And I don't mean people breeding rares or special lineages to toss, or people who are obviously breeding to get an egg of one of the parent's type. I've seen a really large amount of eggs, lately, where both the parents are the same breed, so the outcome is absolutely as expected and the egg is still dumped. Like an Albino/Albino pairing isn't going to pop out a surprise. lol And even 2nd gen purebreds linger. Because most players can breed their own 2nd gen Whiptails or Grays, and so they aren't going to necessarily snap those up.

It's just hard to tell if this is going to take one problem - a full AP - and just transfer it to other areas - more main cave blockers and skewed breeding.

skauble has said it brilliantly.

Something like this could be great for the AP--but, if it screws up other aspects of the game just as badly, then is it really a "fix"?

I, personally, don't think that this would be a good "fix" for the problem. Unless something changes with how the ratios work, this seems more likely than not to screw with the main cave and breeding instead...

Just want to add a note here. I was just at the AP where I picked up 20 eggs that I was interested in. 18 of them were CB. 2 were bred - 1 was a lovely Silver Tin/Terrae spiral Tinselkin, and the other was a 2nd gen Neo from a rather nice Neo/Silver pairing.

Now, that's not to say that the AP doesn't see it's fair share of messy lineages, but I really do think a large part of the problem is the dumping of main cave blockers. And recycling eggs back to the cave, as the very same breeds, probably isn't going to help with that.

The point is to recycle the /code/, not the egg itself. The goal would be to have the egg assigned the code be different, messy or not. If code recycling even went so far as to include released dragons, we most likely would be just now easing into 5 alphanumeric ciphers per dragon code.

These days, I think that long lineages are only part of the issue.  The amount of dumped main cave blockers is really, really growing.  I hunt Tinselkins, so I often pick up almost every egg in the AP, and so many are CBs these days.  And people in the AP are reluctant to pick them up because if they're going to get a CB Whiptail, why not do it in the main cave where there's a change of finding a Spring or a rare on the other side?

I know that the idea has been kicked around about having eggs eventually roll of the "massive pile" that builds up.  But that would need to include a very clear warning for players that there eggs may die because of that.  Because eggs don't tend to die in the AP, so players don't expect that.  If the game is going to delete some of them, that should be specifically stated, IMO.

Also, as Dolphinsong point out, those breeds will just have to be replaced.  And that means a. more main cave blockers, and b. an increased probability for the rest of us that if we breed X type of ultra-common dragon with one that isn't ultra-common, we're going to get an ultra-common egg.  That will be frustrating for people who have set pairings of that nature or who are working on lineage projects which have some ultra-common breeds in it.

But I do think that it might make the breeders who breed specifically to toss, consider if they want to risk that.  For the record, I think that people should be able to play how they want, and that includes breeding what they want, I just think that there should be a counterbalance for that.

And I don't mean people breeding rares or special lineages to toss, or people who are obviously breeding to get an egg of one of the parent's type.  I've seen a really large amount of eggs, lately, where both the parents are the same breed, so the outcome is absolutely as expected and the egg is still dumped.  Like an Albino/Albino pairing isn't going to pop out a surprise. lol  And even 2nd gen purebreds linger.  Because most players can breed their own 2nd gen Whiptails or Grays, and so they aren't going to necessarily snap those up.

It's just hard to tell if this is going to take one problem - a full AP - and just transfer it to other areas - more main cave blockers and skewed breeding.

You are a true genius. <:

ot;; It really wouldn't help anything 'balance'. If nothing else, ratios would be even more broken. :/

Edited by Ashes The Second

The point is to recycle the /code/, not the egg itself. The goal would be to have the egg assigned the code be different, messy or not. If code recycling even went so far as to include released dragons, we most likely would be just now easing into 5 alphanumeric ciphers per dragon code.

But how does that solve anything? It's just putting the same code back into the cave, probably on more cave blockers that people are going to grab and dump to the AP. o.o

I'm not sure how that changes some of the arguments.

If you delete an egg, for whatever reason, an egg of that breed needs to be added back into the system, somewhere, to keep the ratios balanced. So that egg that we've just deleted is something that's either going to show up in the main cave, or someone is going to have to breed it. Those things can be equally as frustrating as the AP issue.

That aside, I think I might be missing something here (not unusual for me lol). Why is it necessary to recycle the codes that quickly? For one, are we sure that dead egg codes aren't recycled after two weeks, when they disappear from the system? So if an egg stayed long enough in the AP to die (which I haven't seen), then that code may already recycle.

So I guess what I'm saying is, as it stands now, a. I don't think this is really a good way to solve the AP problem, and b. if dead egg codes don't recycle, maybe that can be changed and then eggs that actually never get picked up in the AP will be added back into the system.

It won't matter--the code could very easily just get added to another egg of the same breed.

If it's deleted and recycled, then it's not likely going to go to a rare or super-desirable egg. More likely than not, it'll just get slapped on another ultra-common blocker, possibly even one of the same breed.

That's just how the ratios are. If breed X falls below the number needed to keep the cave in balance, then another egg of breed X needs to be produced either by the cave or by breeding. If an egg of breed X is deleted, then the cave/breeding will just produce another. And the code will, as has been said, just likely bounce to another blocker or something.

How, exactly, does it help if the code from Blocker A gets recycled as the code for Blocker B?

It won't matter--the code could very easily just get added to another egg of the same breed.

If it's deleted and recycled, then it's not likely going to go to a rare or super-desirable egg. More likely than not, it'll just get slapped on another ultra-common blocker, possibly even one of the same breed.

That's just how the ratios are. If breed X falls below the number needed to keep the cave in balance, then another egg of breed X needs to be produced either by the cave or by breeding. If an egg of breed X is deleted, then the cave/breeding will just produce another. And the code will, as has been said, just likely bounce to another blocker or something.

How, exactly, does it help if the code from Blocker A gets recycled as the code for Blocker B?

Because this process happens every thirty minutes, not every six hours or so. As such, one has more chances to be cycled through something desirable, since the creation of eggs in the AP is also decidedly "random" while following the ratios.

Apart from the chance of getting rid of really ugly lingeages without someone killing/releasing I don't see the point of this.

Because this process happens every thirty minutes, not every six hours or so. As such, one has more chances to be cycled through something desirable, since the creation of eggs in the AP is also decidedly "random" while following the ratios.

I'm still not sure how it happening more often would stop the problem. There are still going to be a massive number of blockers, and deleting one blocker just means the code is still most likely to end up on another blocker, because those are being produced with the most frequency.

Main problem is this. It is the ratios that decides what breeds the most and those tend to be whats in the AP, so code recycling won't really help as it would still more or less still be the same unwanted breeds over and over and over again.

As nice as an idea this is, I agree with Dolphinsong.

Can't really mess with the ratios, that's not good.

Wait, wait. if I read the OP correctly... you're suggesting that eggs in the AP are periodically purged and the code recycled, yes?

If so, that already happens. One of the first dragons to ever die on my scroll was reincarnated (ie. the code was recycled) as a silver for someone else. The AP has had an auto-clean feature for some time, it's just not very visible because people typically dump the same kinds of eggs in there.

Edited by Lythiaren

You know how there's always blockers in the AP? they can sit there for days at a time and not move an inch, because no one desires to have said cave blocker. This in turn leads to frustration of the AP being too full during an hourly drop. Well, what if after a period of time, the egg was completely deleted, and the code was reused for a potentially different baby? This would help get every possible code of the millions out there to be used instead of having some crossed out because they sit in the AP forever.

Well, post what you think~

The site has the ability to keep track of how long eggs are on the AP. Under normal circumstances (AKA non-release), I have not seen an egg sit for more than an hour, much less "for days at a time."