orange

Navy SEALS

*sighs* Still disappointed that my Asperger diagnosis shattered by dreams of getting into the military. I desperately wanted to join the RAF.

Thanks Phil biggrin.gif

And now the scientist in me is saying "You don't have any research to back up everything else you want to say (plus some of what you already said), it is all just personal observation and assumptions." So I'll be quiet now on that topic.
I thought there was research proving that men and women were different? huh.gif

Anyway, (completely contradictory to my previous statement) my personal experiance is that saying boys are more agressive than girls etc. is generalizing. I'm not going to say that it's not neccesarily true that boys and girls are different, because we are, and not just because girls were raised to be more femenine and girly than boys. Like Kelkelen said, there are hormones and whatnot as well.

I'm just thinking that there will be exceptions to the rule right? You've got tomboys and femenine boys and people who just slide in the middle. Not every girl is going to want to spend hours of their days fussing over how they look (I certanly don't) And not every boy will want to go to the army.

I think it's fine that there aren't many women in the military (Personally, I've never had any interest in joining) but I don't think they shouln't be allowed to try for a military career. Some might actually be physically stronger than some of the men trying. Yes, mens bodies are 'programmed' to be stronger, and they are more likely to want a military carrer, but if a woman is capable, I don't think she should be stopped.

... Hope that made some sense....

*sighs* Still disappointed that my Asperger diagnosis shattered by dreams of getting into the military. I desperately wanted to join the RAF.
D'aaw... It really sucks when something you can't controll spoils your dreams. I know my cousin didn't get to go to the military because of a gluten allergy. But that's Norway, and they use any excuse to not accept you.

Certainly a worthy goal. I respect our men and women at arms. In any case, why SEAL in particular? What about Green Beret? Or an Army Ranger? Or any of the other special forces?

In any case, women aren't allowed in special forces. If you're set on joining the military to show up the boys, then best of luck to you, but as it stands, it's a boys club. You can become a paratrooper, and a pilot, but in terms of being in small squad-tactic operations you're pretty much barred from doing so.

Certainly a worthy goal. I respect our men and women at arms. In any case, why SEAL in particular? What about Green Beret? Or an Army Ranger? Or any of the other special forces?

In any case, women aren't allowed in special forces. If you're set on joining the military to show up the boys, then best of luck to you, but as it stands, it's a boys club. You can become a paratrooper, and a pilot, but in terms of being in small squad-tactic operations you're pretty much barred from doing so.

I'm gonna be nitpicky and say Rangers aren't EXACTLY spec ops... I think they're labeled "specialized light infantry" or something along those lines, but it's not quite the same as special forces. Green Berets are the army special forces.

I've always wanted to go into either Green Berets or Marines spec ops... sadly the chances of me getting into the military are pretty slim. I have scoliosis, which disqualifies me on paper... even though I could get a 300 on the marines physical and have a list as long as my leg of recommendations and my back doesn't limit me at all... stupid medical problems xd.png

Orange, I say go for it.

Boys and girls are different, sure, but when I was little I would play games with my brothers that involved roughhousing. My favorite game was this thing based off of kickball and agressiveness. My little brother would sit away from us building houses with his LEGOs, and we would wrestle and fight in the mud, rain, snow, and sunshine.

Oh, and I'm female. I'm one of the most aggressive, cynical, assertive people I know. Though I don't take martial arts or boxing I know several fighting techniques, and though I'm thirteen and 91 lbs. I can pin my 16 year old brother to the ground, and he's not exactly weak and he's a good one or two feet taller than me.

I'm a feminist, and highly set in my ways. These sort of things should be open to women as they are with men. If everyone's so worried about how the men would act around the women, do some studies! It's not fair to discriminate if we don't know how a large population of men will react.

I'm all for more women in the military. My family has a military background, my great-grandfather died from a head injury he got in battle, and the only reason I don't join is because my self-preservation instincts override my loyalty to my country. I'm not loyal to the US at all. I don't say the pledge, and I wouldn't mind going to the Netherlands or England if I had to. But my family's here, so thus I am as well.

Orange, have you looked into becoming a Navy diver? They may not be SEALs, but they do get to blow things up biggrin.gif I'm a Navy brat, and I wanted to be a SEAL while I was growing up, too. Missed out on being a diver because I didn't know it was an option until it was too late.

I'm gonna be nitpicky and say Rangers aren't EXACTLY spec ops... I think they're labeled "specialized light infantry" or something along those lines, but it's not quite the same as special forces. Green Berets are the army special forces.

There is actually a Ranger unit that is spec ops. Source -- a friend who used to be in that unit.

Edit for spelling. Oops.

Edited by Defel

Their is actually a Ranger unit that is spec ops. Source -- a friend who used to be in that unit.

Hmmm... I'm checking again and perhaps I was wrong. I was under the impression that they weren't *technically* labeled as special operations, but teh interwebz in telling me differently. Apologies for the misconception.

I thought there was research proving that men and women were different?  huh.gif

Oh, yes I am sure there is research saying this. I simply have never read any of it, don't feel like looking any up, and lack the expertise in this field to tell the bogus from the legit. (Unless a simple cursory exam will make it obvious.)

If they ever do open up special ops to women any women who join will have to be twice as tough as the men. Not just to complete physically with them, but to put up with the annoying few who will never accept you and make your life miserable for entering their 'domain'.

So good luck. (Lotsa luck and hard work!)

If they ever do open up special ops to women any women who join will have to be twice as tough as the men.

No.

No.

No to opening special ops to women, or no to them having to be twice as tough as men?

Orange, go for it. Just because a bunch of people don't want their boy's club to change the NO GURLS ALOWD sign doesn't mean they shouldn't and that you should be discouraged from pursuing your dream.

Ocean Secrets

Could you maybe tell a little about them, for starters what does the acronym stand for?

from the United States Navy Seals Wikipedia article:

""SEAL" is always capitalized in reference to members of the Naval Special Warfare community. The acronym is derived from their capacity to operate at sea, in the air, and on land. SEALs are male members of the United States Navy."

Go for it, Orange. When I was young girls were not allowed in the service academies, nor were they allowed in combat as combatants. They are now. Males seem to like the old all boys clubs and special forces seem to be a last hold out. Other countries such as Israel have long realized that females can be great military people.

I have to admit that I don't really think any of the special op services are going to suddenly agree that females can do it. They will always hark back to the point that females can and do get pregnant and that and the physiological differences that allow women to become pregnant can make it more difficult for a woman to become a special forces operative.

If you like to read and are mature enough to handle sexy thrillers, try Suzanne Brockman's Trouble Shooters novels. ( Frisco's Kid is a good one that explains the SEAL's program. They deal with Seals and former seals and at least one female FBI agent who wanted to be a SEAL.

Being in the first few batches of female spec training would be unreal. Many of the males will resent you if you get the chance.

orange, do you have any ideas for what you will do in the event that women are not permitted to join the SEALs when the time comes that you would be able to enlist? Would you join the Navy anyway?

I served in the Navy from 1986-1990 (not a SEAL), and in those days women were not allowed to serve in combat roles and therefore could only serve on auxiliary ships or shore commands. A lot has changed since then, but it took awhile.

A fellow I was in boot camp with wanted to be a SEAL but he couldn't complete the initial physical test; my memory is foggy but it seems that he was supposed to do 100 pushups or chin ups and kept coming up slightly short. After one qualifies for SEAL training, the requirements get much tougher, which is why Special Forces are just that, very few people have what it takes to make it.